• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter Death Watch |OT| How long until the bird dies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

Well it was fun while it lasted.

Elon Musk Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Amiga

At what stage do Musk fans start to admit he’s not playing some sort of 4d super intelligent business chess? Twitter might survive, but to claim Musk is fully in control of the situation, and everything is proceeding to some grand master plan, is starting to look more than a little stupid.
Situations are part of business. He has the tools to deal with them. Twitter is just having temporary withdrawal symptoms as they remove dependence on a narrow group of advertisers.
And Twitter is now a private company, so Musk doesn't worry about mainstream news FUDing.

TrueLegend

EviLore EviLore Maiden Voyage Maiden Voyage Seriously, you guys should know better. It is media who had began relying heavily on twitter that is in meltdown mode, and they deserve it. This is death of these wannabe so called influencers and those who hold the office and have been wasting public expenditure on this social media site will now have to give an account of expenditure to public. As far as I am concerned all these people can pay 100usd per month for the addiction of super privileged tickmark because they created that artificial value themselves, collectively.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
EviLore EviLore Maiden Voyage Maiden Voyage Seriously, you guys should know better. It is media who had began relying heavily on twitter that is in meltdown mode, and they deserve it. This is death of these wannabe so called influencers and those who hold the office and have been wasting public expenditure on this social media site will now have to give an account of expenditure to public. As far as I am concerned all these people can pay 100usd per month for the addiction of super privileged tickmark because they created that artificial value themselves, collectively.

halFZ50.gif

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Power users obviously do benefit from using Twitter for their business, or politics / journalism. But the argument can be made that Twitter should literally be paying them instead, like youtube pays content creators. They drive people to the site and drive followers to check their content. The idea that top influencers need to pay $100 / month is going to massively bomb just like this last idea, if it was ever implemented.

RAÏSanÏa

Twitter served its purpose as a learning tool for distinguishing people and motivations from a few words. The slowly developed policies while enacted, before the recent rash of sudden changes, were helpful to educating a large amount of people across all ranges of the West. There's far less naivete and easy manipulation than a decade ago.

TrueLegend

Power users obviously do benefit from using Twitter for their business, or politics / journalism. But the argument can be made that Twitter should literally be paying them instead, like youtube pays content creators. They drive people to the site and drive followers to check their content. The idea that top influencers need to pay $100 / month is going to massively bomb just like this last idea, if it was ever implemented.
First of all it was an expression but even if taken at literal face value, it's not a dumb idea if it takes all the dumb out of the twitter, is it.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
All you motherfuckers are gonna pay! You are the ones who are the ball-lickers! We're gonna fuck your mothers while you watch and cry like little, whiny bitches. Once we get to Twitter and find those influencer fucks who is destroying the Twitter, we're gonna make them eat our shit, then shit out our shit, and then eat their shit that's made up of our shit that we made them eat. Then all you motherfucks are next. Love, Eviloreo and Maiden Voyage.

jay and silent bob yes GIF by MIRAMAX

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
cloud is pretty gay tbh

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
When Elon said comedy is legal again, he was right!

To be fair, from my out-of-the-loop armchair position, a lot of this Twitter chaos seems troublesome. However, I must keep in mind that Elon has a weird way of leveraging chaos to disrupt the status quo enough to eventually shake out a functional system.

Seeing corporate giants get called out for their greed via parody impersonation accounts is hilarious. Comedy is the perfect instrument for serving truth to power. Was that what Elon wanted? Was it just a fuckup? Is this pre-planned genius 4D chess or dumb luck or incompetence? I have no fucking idea. By all accounts, he is a smarter being than I am, so I can't rule out that the "smart" things he is doing looks completely stupid to me and the only way for me to tell is to see how it all turns out in the end.

I know how I feel about his hot takes and his actions, but I'll admit that the long term big picture is still unclear to me, and I have no way of telling if that's because I'm an idiot or because Elon is. The odds are in favor of the former, but that isn't a satisfying conclusion for most people to accept.

E-Cat

To be fair, from my out-of-the-loop armchair position, a lot of this Twitter chaos seems troublesome. However, I must keep in mind that Elon has a weird way of leveraging chaos to disrupt the status quo enough to eventually shake out a functional system.
Nailed it. Chaos is the most rapid way to success. He invented chaos -> success

people are idiots. i get that Elon's plan is to verify real people so you can easily tell who is real vs who is a bot but it seems people are having a difficult time understanding that.

the "official" thing didn't work out. i thought it was not a bad idea as in there is double verification but the best thing to do, i think, is verified real people who paid for blue get a blue tick. if you're a celebrity, politician, news source, band, etc then you get a gold tick. you shouldn't be able to buy a gold tick. you only get it if you go through the same process you had to in order get a blue tick before Elon took over. i don't know what that is but i mean if you want a gold tick then you need to provide government id, prove you work somewhere, or somehow show you are who you say you are.

Gt8uw8f.jpg

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

people are idiots. i get that Elon's plan is to verify real people so you can easily tell who is real vs who is a bot but it seems people are having a difficult time understanding that.

the "official" thing didn't work out. i thought it was not a bad idea as in there is double verification but the best thing to do, i think, is verified real people who paid for blue get a blue tick. if you're a celebrity, politician, news source, band, etc then you get a gold tick. you shouldn't be able to buy a gold tick. you only get it if you go through the same process you had to in order get a blue tick before Elon took over. i don't know what that is but i mean if you want a gold tick then you need to provide government id, prove you work somewhere, or somehow show you are who you say you are.

Gt8uw8f.jpg
Given his unpredictable behavior, twitter's recent resignations with suggested personal risks to remaining employees he may not appear to those people to be a trustworthy, reliable custodian of that information.

Positive cash flow

Being 44 billion in the hole with a company that doesn't turn a profit. Is your timeline infinity? Should have gone with something unmeasurable and abstract like helping civilization or something, that's what Musk goes with.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Chaos is a ladder...when you induce chaos to undermine and disrupt systems someone else is in charge of. Not when it's your own living room and you're already market leader.
I think the monopolistic nature of Twitter as it currently stands can allow it to buffet against the chaos for an extended time since there is currently no other realistic competitor out there. I'm not sure if it's a ladder Elon's looking for, but more like a filter or a jackhammer or a broom.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Nailed it. Chaos is the most rapid way to success. He invented chaos -> success

Yup.

Years back before Tesla kicked it into gear making profits, they were losing shitloads of money and churning out like 5000 cars per month or quarter (whatever it was it was a really shitty metric) and people were predicting it'd go bankrupt. Man were they wrong.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I think the monopolistic nature of Twitter as it currently stands can allow it to buffet against the chaos for an extended time since there is currently no other realistic competitor out there. I'm not sure if it's a ladder Elon's looking for, but more like a filter or a jackhammer or a broom.
Twitter's relatively entrenched position and the public's extensive conditioning to Elon's erratic behavior will insulate it to an extent, but when you're a huge, established platform, stability and steady growth are far preferable to memelord chaos. Social media moats can be deceptively shallow under the right circumstances, history has proven.

E-Cat

Being 44 billion in the hole with a company that doesn't turn a profit. Is your timeline infinity? Should have gone with something unmeasurable and abstract like helping civilization or something, that's what Musk goes with.
I didn't want him to buy Twitter, either.

I didn't want him to buy Twitter, either.

No idea what this has to do with anything we're talking about. Is the either here because you think you not wanting him to buy Twitter is relevant to your invented success criteria? Or is the either here because you think I didn't want him to buy Twitter?

Last edited:

E-Cat

No idea what this has to do with anything we're talking about. Is the either here because you think you not wanting him to buy Twitter is relevant to your invented success criteria? Or is the either here because you think I didn't want him to buy Twitter?
I mean I didn't think it was a good idea, financially or otherwise. And, yes, he probably won't make his $44b back for several years. That said, he will probably turn it around and make it profitable. Which, while his net worth will be lower for all eternity than had he stayed all-in TSLA shares, will still constitute some form of success. And perhaps I should've clarified that becoming cash flow positive is more like the prerequisite, not the end goal, of whatever he's trying to accomplish.

I mean I didn't think it was a good idea, financially or otherwise. And, yes, he probably won't make his $44b back for several years. That said, he will probably turn it around and make it profitable. Which, while his net worth will be lower for all eternity than had he stayed all-in TSLA shares, will still constitute some form of success. And perhaps I should've clarified that becoming cash flow positive is more like the prerequisite, not the end goal, of whatever he's trying to accomplish.

Probably is doing some heavy lifting for you here. Apart from it's Musk, what makes an established and non-profitable company, that has to first pay out 44 billion without creative accounting, becoming profitable "probable"?

E-Cat

Probably is doing some heavy lifting for you here. Apart from it's Musk, what makes an established and non-profitable company, that has to first pay out 44 billion without creative accounting, becoming profitable "probable"?
Absolutely nothing, aside from it being Musk. It will be a full realization of X.com from over 20 years ago, to think of it in terms of just Twitter is probably a mistake. I use words like 'probably' because I'm asymptotic like that.

$44b was the price to acquire the company, I just meant cash flow positivity like making more money than losing per month, i.e. staying alive and less dependent on advertiser money -- which is a considerably lower hurdle than making back the initial invested sum.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Tech jounros sure are having a field day. The snip below is the second half of the article. It's worth a read. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Musk, who was forced to buy Twitter for $44 billion just two weeks ago after trying to back out of the deal, clearly has no idea what he’s doing with the social media company. The billionaire almost immediately fired half the Twitter staff, only to backtrack and ask some people to return because they were desperately needed to make the changes Musk wants to see at the site.

The changes Musk has experimented with thus far at Twitter have been a disaster, to put it mildly. Musk introduced a new version of Twitter Blue on Monday that allowed anyone with $8 to buy a blue verification mark. Previously, the blue checkmark was simply a way to fight against impersonation of notable figures. But now anyone with $8 can pretend to be anyone they like, whether it’s Nintendo or Lockheed Martin. And while Twitter moderators are clearly working overtime to ban impersonator accounts as quickly as possible, there are countless fake accounts that appear to be verified right now.

Normally, Gizmodo would reach out to Twitter’s communications team for comment. But Twitter no longer has a communications team. In fact, Twitter doesn’t have much of a team at all, according to the latest reports. Several top Twitter executives quit on Thursday, including Twitter’s head of moderation and safety Yoel Roth, chief information security officer Lea Kissner, and chief compliance officer Marianne Fogarty.

And it looks like smart people at Twitter are concerned about the changes Musk is making to squeeze every last dollar out of the social media platform. Twitter has an agreement with the Federal Trade Commission that it will no longer user personal information to target ads. But Musk doesn’t have much interest in abiding by the FTC agreement, according to the Verge, and Musk’s personal lawyer was even quoted as saying, “Elon puts rockets into space, he’s not afraid of the FTC.” The fines for noncompliance could reach billion of dollars.

Apparently at least one lawyer inside Twitter has taken to Slack to say that Musk is acting against the best interests of Twitter’s users, which includes human rights activists and other dissidents who could face severe consequences if their identities are exposed. The unnamed lawyer even encouraged any Twitter employee to become a whistleblower and notify the FTC if workers “feel uncomfortable about anything you’re being asked to do,” according to the Verge.

Musk has even discussed the possibility this week that Twitter may need to declare bankruptcy, according to the Financial Times, which is an incredible place to be in such a short period of time. Remember, Musk took over the site just two weeks ago. It’s hard to imagine that literally anyone with half a brain could fuck things up this bad.

Good luck, Elon. You’re going to need it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom