• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter Death Watch |OT| How long until the bird dies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

akimbo009

Gold Member
I have no proof of this, but I'm just going on gut feeling and what I see.

And that is tech companies are flush with money, this free for all party vibe, entitled employees, and super young employees with companies that probably started 10-20 years ago tops. Some much younger.

So what you got in my opinion is wild west corporate cultures, zero buttoned down processes, and hardly any older vets who've been around the block to put some structure in place. If tech people are too afraid of buttoned down banking company policies, that's fine. I dont expect sneaker and tshirt wearing techies wearing business casual clothes to the office. But every company needs some professionalism.

These companies all seem to ramp up hiring so fast going from 0 to 10,000 employees there is no way any company can sift through the heap of candidates without getting nailed with shitty employees due to needing to hire asap. In established companies where they might hire a couple hundred every year, some roles take forever to fill. They can afford to take a slow approach as they got enough people at the office already to fill in. And even then you still get shitheads hired doing a detailed long hiring process.

If that HR tweet you posted is true, what a laugh. I've seen mistakes at my companies from people not BCC:ing people but thats for non essential emails. I've never seen a mistaken HR email sent to the wrong people when it comes to important stuff like employment.

Then again, maybe the lame brained HR person at Twitter did that on purpose to fuck up the company more. You never know with tech workers since they seem so volatile.

Do you know any one who works at these companies? As one of them, not all are made the same, but it's not some weird slacker rock star culture. It's hard work, and relentless. Companies don't get to and maintain decades of technical edge and sky high evaluations for no reason. If if over evaluated from time to time these companies have some very cluful and dedicated employees... It's how they keep winning even such a competitive market.

Even then, the person who did this is an HR employee AT a tech company.... Just as stupid as any other.

Ionian

Back to the free lunches;

Had a buddy when Google first set up it's HQ in a small building here (Ireland), a few doors down from my work. Now obviously their HQ is a behemoth of a building. Lunches are free and they even serve lobster on certain days (or at least they did, this was a while ago).

She had a very generous salary and worked in sales (very high up now), they always got stock options as well as their salary when the stock was far lower. Needless to say she ended up minted and bought a 500k house thanks to it.

I've never heard a single bad word said about them, by all accounts they're treated like kings. Mind you, naturally the people I know that work for them are biased but seems like a dream job, its a wonder I never applied myself. The HQ is a 10 minute cycle but I was already working and getting my degree at night so change wasn't a priority.

Must reconsider that ... should have done it years ago.

Last edited:

LegendOfKage

Gold Member

teH mEDiA ELiTeS aRE oUT to gET mE

I mean, the media elites are out to get him, I just didn't think they'd be given such genuinely valid criticism for their articles.

That is amazing. What if he refuses to kill that feature? Other than not silencing anyone new for their speech, some of his choices haven't exactly felt like free speech was at the top of his to do list so far.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
FhRKoPmXgAAFDMQ

RAÏSanÏa

The thread going on to link to another Emergency Management showing ways to identify government accounts shows they have some concern and made a hastily prepared response. Not everyone uses twitter strictly for entertainment. No reports of trouble with impersonations in that sense, but things got shut down quick.

Yoda

I mean, the site went from toxic to entertaining? Yeah sounds like ad rev is gunna go in the toilet, not sure subs will come close to making up for it. The company would have a snapchat style valuation if it had been on the public markets (without a takeover offer pending) w/o Musk anyway, so perhaps a (somewhat) quick death is better than a slow death???

Toons

This is going to be made into a pretty amazing drama comedy film one day

I dont know who they'll cast as Elon

jdtemp

Banned
I mean, the site went from toxic to entertaining? Yeah sounds like ad rev is gunna go in the toilet, not sure subs will come close to making up for it. The company would have a snapchat style valuation if it had been on the public markets (without a takeover offer pending) w/o Musk anyway, so perhaps a (somewhat) quick death is better than a slow death???
Bro Musk has been charge for like a week. Maybe you guys are being a little hyperbolic and premature.

LegendOfKage

Gold Member

”where is your version of my version of free speech Elon :messenger_weary:?”

As Musk has said, he has yet to make any changes to rules regarding what speech is permitted or what accounts will be restored. The claim is he's going to put together a group of people, representing a diversity of thought and ideology, and they will decide all of that.

It doesn't seem to be a priority, though, does it?

SJRB

Gold Member
Engagement is higher than ever, why would advertisers leave?

Airbus Jr

Banned
So turns out the people who quit twitter are moving to another platform called mastodon

So many adultery and sodomites content there

Never uses twitter or mastodon but i just find it gross

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
Engagement is higher than ever, why would advertisers leave?
I'm just going to repost this post of mine from the other Twitter thread. The short version is all the car companies left to screw with a major competitor, and a lot of advertisers left before Musk even got there, based on both the uncertainty he would bring and a scandal Musk had nothing to do with.

This video covers a lot of the whole situation going on right now. The reporting on advertisers goes into a lot more depth that I haven't seen elsewhere. It seems like Twitter was already losing a ton of ad support for various reasons before Musk took over, and likely lost all car manufacture support for reasons that are more strategic than anything else.

Some of the content earlier in the video gets a bit more political, so I put a timestamp right when he starts to go into detail about the advertisers.

DJ12

I thought users could spoof and verify before all this blue tick stuff anyway.

Fair play to Musk for trying to stop it.

Probs asked the same team to give blue ticks that gave everyone 'verified' ticks in the first place.

Just needs a bit more thought.

It's clear twitter has been an absolute shitshow for years. Doubt Musk could make it much worse even if he wanted to.

Let's just enjoy the lols while they last.

Vestal

Gold Member
This should be the simplified Tech business takeover 101 if you don't want to keep existing workforce.

1. Buy Company
2. Transfer knowledge from existing engineers and developers to your "new team"
3. Fire old team
4. Profit?

I've been part of and seen companies skip step 2 for multiple reasons. However in every case it was not for the fundamental application the business runs on, it was always for redundant systems(AD, Exchange, Concur etc).

Amiga

This should be the simplified Tech business takeover 101 if you don't want to keep existing workforce.

1. Buy Company
2. Transfer knowledge from existing engineers and developers to your "new team"
3. Fire old team
4. Profit?

I've been part of and seen companies skip step 2 for multiple reasons. However in every case it was not for the fundamental application the business runs on, it was always for redundant systems(AD, Exchange, Concur etc).
Unless you expect a campaign of sabotage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom