• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter is Officially Dying: Elon Musk sets new daily Twitter limits for users

Draugoth

Gold Member
Elon Musk announced Saturday that Twitter will temporarily limit the number of tweets users can read per day — with separate limits for paid and unpaid users — to combat computer programs that comb through posts to extract useful data from the platform.

Now unverified accounts will only be able to see 600 posts per day, and for “new” unverified accounts, just 300 in a day. The limits for verified accounts (presumably whether they’re bought as a part of the Twitter Blue subscription, granted through an organization, or verification Elon forced on people like Stephen King, LeBron James, and anyone else with more than a million followers) still allow reading only a maximum of 6,000 posts per day.

Shortly after that, Musk tweeted that the rate limits would “soon” increase to 8,000 tweets for verified users, 800 for unverified, and 400 for new unverified accounts.

musk_custom-1b862845d4c69c55c2518c610c14b499bb0f7c98-s1100-c50.png

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Who the fuck has time to read 600 tweets a day anyway
All you have to do is refresh a few times and you can hit that pretty easily considering how much you scroll by. Many of which are ads, btw, so this seems like Elon is punching himself in the dick. There’s no way I’m paying for Twitter and no way I’m gonna bother with trying to use it to keep up on current events if it puts me in timeout by 7AM.

Once again Elon proves that a skill set in one area does not translate over. Hubris, maybe…

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
He's a moron. He needs to find a way to monetize it. Punishing your most active users is literally counter productive. Have ads as you scroll down replies. Trigger ads based on how many different tweets they have viewed if he cant key off of page reloads like most websites and forums do.

If he hadnt fired all the engineers in charge of maintaining and improving twitter, he wouldve had actual ideas on how to improve his revenue streams. Whoever gave him this idea is clearly a moron.

Restricting your own app usage for an app primarily driven by ad revenue is literally the dumbest move he can make. His product relies upon these users posting everyday and engaging with others.

Toons

This honestly screams something he mandated without even hearing from his engineers because there's no way his engineers told him this was a good plan. I dont see this lasting a month.

ManaByte

Gold Member
This honestly screams something he mandated without even hearing from his engineers because there's no way his engineers told him this was a good plan. I dont see this lasting a month.
I don’t see it lasting until the 4th of July.

I just saw the tweet.

I have no problem admitting that I like Elon Musk but that's starting to change. At least when it comes to Twitter, he keeps getting dumber and dumber.

He should be treated like George Lucas where people around him restrain him from doing stupid shit.

gothmog

Gold Member
I just saw the tweet.

I have no problem admitting that I like Elon Musk but that's starting to change. At least when it comes to Twitter, he keeps getting dumber and dumber.

He should be treated like George Lucas where people around him restrain him from doing stupid shit.
Lucas only stopped doing stupid shit when he sold the IP. Disney did even stupider shit with the IP but that's a different issue.

Lucas only stopped doing stupid shit when he sold the IP. Disney did even stupider shit with the IP but that's a different issue.
True. But there were some decisions he had about Star Wars in the early days where people restrained him. I do agree that he should have never sold it to Disney and it would have been better in his hands nonetheless.

Back on topic, I admit I was wrong about Elon Musk. I actually really liked this guy but he turned out to be a complete fool. I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong and I was wrong.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
There's a part of me that says no one has this much money and is simultaneously this bad at running things. This has to be some performance art/4D chess/plan to liberate free speech from the shadowy designs of the freemasonry.

HAS TO BE.

Toons

There's a part of me that says no one has this much money and is simultaneously this bad at running things. This has to be some performance art/4D chess/plan to liberate free speech from the shadowy designs of the freemasonry.

HAS TO BE.

Having this much money ALLOWS you to be this bad at running things and keep your job.

Id get fired from a burger joint if I was running it like Elon has been running a 44 billion dollar company

Kilau

I don't give a fuck because I don't have a twitter account, and don't intend to make one...but isn't this completely missing the point of why people use twitter?

If he's trying to kill the platform, I commend him, but if he wants it to thrive, then I don't get wtf he's doing.
I think he’s just trying anything to get it to turn a profit so he can slap together some projections and offload it asap.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
The original update said it's temporary.

There's no way it's not going to be temporary, it would effectively kill the platform. Musk is a business man first and foremost, he's not going to kill his investment.

musk is jealous that reddit is getting all the attention for running itself into the ground, so he has to do something about it lol

G-Bus

Banned
Never used twitter. Do t have any interest.

The blue check mark thing or what ever didn't sound like the worst thing. Limiting how many tweets you can read a day does. Suicide even.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
That absolue ineptitude from Musk and his team since they took over is almost impressive. You almost have to try to be this bad.

Also I have to assume this is temporary. Otherwise the entire situation is going to go under.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Idea: a game console that disallows you to play games once you cross a certain limit.

Damn, never mind, that already happened with the Xbox 360 and the RROD.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
And yet there are still many who consider this buffoon a genius. Dude put on a speed run clinic on how to devastate a company via rank ineptitude in a handful of months.

Turns out running a gigantic tech company is actually hard when you're not relying on tax payer subsidies and contracts and the ideas of better people.

Having this much money ALLOWS you to be this bad at running things and keep your job.

Id get fired from a burger joint if I was running it like Elon has been running a 44 billion dollar company

$14bn dollar company. Its valuation was decreased recently, for many obvious reasons.

Also something to keep in mind: Musk saddled it with $13bn in debt in the leveraged buyout. lol. It's barely worth more than the debt it owes now thanks to Musk.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Hard to imagine a time when Twitter did not exist. But there was a time that Twitter did not exist and we managed. In fact, things were better then. If this move really hurts you, time to reflect on life.
Its not about personal hurt. Its the fact we are losing a major platform that was used for good far more often than it was used for bad.

Top Bottom