• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter is Officially Dying: Elon Musk sets new daily Twitter limits for users

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Oh sorry. Must have just imagined all the charity work and spotlights on major social issues and events.

My bad.
Definitely ignoring all the lives ruined by false claims, false accusations, and suicides in response. or the tremendous amounts of open pedophilia going on. Twitter is a shithole. always has been. take off your rose colored glasses

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Definitely ignoring all the lives ruined by false claims, false accusations, and suicides in response. or the tremendous amounts of open pedophilia going on. Twitter is a shithole. always has been. take off your rose colored glasses
200w.gif

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
If ads don’t generate enough revenue to offset server costs when you have a text-based platform and 500 million monthly users, something’s very wrong.

It's not just server costs, he's saddled the company with 13B in debt... mofo ain't even paying rent to save pennies.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
People have been saying Twitter is dying since October 2022 when Elon took over.

At this point saying Twitter is dying is as memetic as saying Nintendo is dying.

It hasn't even been an entire year and the company lost almost all of its value and over half its advertising revenue. It's basically Parler 2.0 if you haven't been paying attention.

No one who isn't a piece of shit or relies on it for their profession already pulled the ripcord and either bailed or dipped to Bluesky - where all the cool kids are now.

Oberstein

No one who isn't a piece of shit or relies on it for their profession already pulled the ripcord and either bailed or dipped to Bluesky - where all the cool kids are now.

Yes, yes, we've heard that before with Mastodon.

In the meantime, Bluesky isn't worth a damn in terms of importance, number of users and the public who don't even know about it.

That said, Musk's decision, real or fake, regarding AI, is a real bummer. If this limitation continues, Twitter is bound to lose its appeal, but in the meantime, there's no real alternative to this model.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Yes, yes, we've heard that before with Mastodon.

In the meantime, Bluesky isn't worth a damn in terms of importance, number of users and the public who don't even know about it.

The same was said while Digg died for Reddit, or Myspace for Facebook.

It's a purposefully slow onboarding with Bluesky given it's still beta. The team is trying to figure out how to handle the massive demand while still giving out invite codes. But rest assured any creator, politician, or journalist of any merit is either already there or waiting for their invite code.

I have two invite codes btw. lol. Worth its weight in gold.

Fools idol

Banned
If ads don’t generate enough revenue to offset server costs when you have a text-based platform and 500 million monthly users, something’s very wrong.
I have s sus that their numbers are bullshit.

The bot user count on Twitter is obviously far higher than they are admitting.

xrnzaaas

Good for him if his intent was to destroy Twitter from the inside. Many companies use twitter to communicate with their customers and with the views limitations they're going to be looking elsewhere.

A true clusterfuck if this wasn't planned.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Introducing rate limits to keep bots from building libraries of free data isn't going to kill Twitter.

dem

Anyone who doesn’t think keeping these restrictions in place would kill Twitter hasn’t ever used Twitter.

You burn through 100 “views” in like one minute.

It’s completely unusable right now.
I just woke up.. refreshed my tweets.. clicked on ONE.. and it already says Rate Limit Exceeded. :messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting:

Last edited:

Kilau

It's a purposefully slow onboarding with Bluesky given it's still beta. The team is trying to figure out how to handle the massive demand while still giving out invite codes. But rest assured any creator, politician, or journalist of any merit is either already there or waiting for their invite code.

Just how much do invite codes weigh?

Fuz

Banned

Fuck this elitism and shitty invite only. This is why Mastodon/Bluesky need to crash and burn.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Might be bad for the site, but setting a cut-off is probably better for the mental health of its users.
Many users are straight up addicted to Twitter.

Might be bad for the site, but setting a cut-off is probably better for the mental health of its users.
Many users are straight up addicted to Twitter.
Social media sites should be treated same as gambling sites.

Reality Checks should appear every 10, 15, 30, or 60 minutes, display how much time you've been on the app/site, and ask if you want to continue.

Time outs which are short term exclusions in the 24 hours to 30 day range. These can be specific to certain areas of a site. So for example you could browse but not post, browse/post but not see content from certain people, no photos/videos, etc.

Self-exclusions which let you disable your account for 1/3/6 months or 1/3/5 years.

And of course the options to completely remove your account with no option of recovering it.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member

Reality Checks should appear every 10, 15, 30, or 60 minutes, display how much time you've been on the app/site, and ask if you want to continue.

Time outs which are short term exclusions in the 24 hours to 30 day range. These can be specific to certain areas of a site. So for example you could browse but not post, browse/post but not see content from certain people, no photos/videos, etc.

Self-exclusions which let you disable your account for 1/3/6 months or 1/3/5 years.

And of course the options to completely remove your account with no option of recovering it.
Pretty good suggestions. I like the idea of reality checks and usage reports. I like the screen time tracking feature on most current smart devices.

Gaf, Youtube, and to a lesser extent Tumblr are pretty much the only social media-like sites that I use atm, and I still think I'm on them too often.
I hate sites with endless scrolling and vertical timelines. I think that they hijack the reward system of the brain more than any other.
Removed Instagram from my phone ages ago, after wasting so much time doom scrolling.

Last edited:
Pretty good suggestions. I like the idea of reality checks and usage reports. I like the screen time tracking feature on most current smart devices.

Gaf, Youtube, and to a lesser extent Tumblr are pretty much the only social media-like sites that I use atm, and I still think I'm on them too often.
I hate sites with endless scrolling and vertical timelines. I think that they hijack the reward system of the brain more than any other.
Removed Instagram from my phone ages ago, after wasting so much time doom scrolling.
I do have a twitter but i haven't posted on it since ~2010. Only place I post online is here and some other non gaming forums but this is the forum I'm most active on. I have a reddit but don't post there either. I watch YouTube but don't have a google account. I am ashamed to admit it but I do have a Tik Tok account too and it's addictive as fuck. I just scroll through it to watch funny silly videos. This morning I was bored so went on it and time passed too quickly.

Years ago I did have a Facebook/Instagram account but I don't touch anything to do with Facebook these days. Fucking hate them.

At times being on social media is overwhelming even for me who doesn't post (except on forums) and I need to take a break for a few days or weeks.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Bluesky won't take off unless people are on it and no one's on it. Despite all of Musk's shenanigans no one has actually left twitter, in fact it has gained a user base. Communities aren't communities without a user base.

But I do believe Musk gets off on seeing people pissed off over his policies. He loves to troll people. I don't think he's a bad person, but he's definitely an unserious person.

Last edited:
Bluesky won't take off unless people are on it and no one's on it. Despite all of Musk's shenanigans no one has actually left twitter, in fact it has gained a user base. Communities aren't communities without a user base.

But I do believe Musk gets off on seeing people pissed off over his policies. He loves to troll people. I don't think he's a bad person, but he's definitely an unserious person.
Well isn't bluesky still in invite only mode? So it's not like anyone can just go sign up right now. We'll see how it goes once it officially launches to everyone.

I still quite like Twitter. In some ways it has improved under Elon but still a lot of issues. I saw some seriously illegal shit today that I wish I didn't. I was just casually browsing through posts in the trending sections and was getting a LOT of NSFW content (nothing shady but still not what I want to see) and then there was the illegal stuff. In the one trending topic I scrolled past about 4 videos of it and I couldn't believe wtf I was seeing. It seems to be spam/bot accounts posting it. Hopefully they take it down ASAP because if not then I will seriously go delete my acount if I ever see that stuff again.

Last edited:

Dreamin

It's a temporary measure and was already increased twice, but everywhere I see people claiming hes terrible. Startin to think hes just a mainstream media enemy at this point. Dont really care for him either way but the hate is making me think that he's pissed worse people off.

gothmog

Gold Member
Being done with Twitter feels good so I have to thank Elon for requiring login to even see tweets. I also just bounced reddit as well after my app shut down over API charges.

I feel like someone just tilled the soil of the internet. Feels kinda interesting.

Being done with Twitter feels good so I have to thank Elon for requiring login to even see tweets. I also just bounced reddit as well after my app shut down over API charges.

I feel like someone just tilled the soil of the internet. Feels kinda interesting.
When Apollo was announced that it was shutting down I deleted it from my phone and haven't even bothered downloading the official app. I do sometimes visit Reddit on desktop but not as much as I did. Been thinking about deleting my account too.

mortal

Gold Member
I do have a twitter but i haven't posted on it since ~2010. Only place I post online is here and some other non gaming forums but this is the forum I'm most active on. I have a reddit but don't post there either. I watch YouTube but don't have a google account. I am ashamed to admit it but I do have a Tik Tok account too and it's addictive as fuck. I just scroll through it to watch funny silly videos. This morning I was bored so went on it and time passed too quickly.

Years ago I did have a Facebook/Instagram account but I don't touch anything to do with Facebook these days. Fucking hate them.

At times being on social media is overwhelming even for me who doesn't post (except on forums) and I need to take a break for a few days or weeks.
I've avoided downloading TikTok for that very reason. It's supposedly the most addictive of them all, with its finely tuned algorithms to keep you scrolling for more.
Nothing wrong with a little entertainment, but I'd just end up pissing away hours a week if I'm being honest.
At least with Gaf & Youtube, I still get some useful information out of it.

I was never particularly fond of Twitter's UX. That and how it seems to make people more spiteful and angry toward each other with how politicized the discourse tends to be there.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
When Apollo was announced that it was shutting down I deleted it from my phone and haven't even bothered downloading the official app. I do sometimes visit Reddit on desktop but not as much as I did. Been thinking about deleting my account too.
Pro tip: you can access NSFW posts without the app or an account if you add “old.” To the beginning of the url… eg old.reddit.com/r/kinkyshitnightmarelikes

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Well isn't bluesky still in invite only mode? So it's not like anyone can just go sign up right now. We'll see how it goes once it officially launches to everyone.

I still quite like Twitter. In some ways it has improved under Elon but still a lot of issues. I saw some seriously illegal shit today that I wish I didn't. I was just casually browsing through posts in the trending sections and was getting a LOT of NSFW content and then the illegal stuff. In the one trending topic I scrolled past about 4 videos of it. It seems to be spam/bot accounts posting it. Hopefully they take it down ASAP because if not then I will seriously go delete my acount if I ever see that stuff again.
I think Twitter is unique in the fact that it's more driven as a news feed/update app than a social conversation app. Most people go there for news. If it didn't have the immediate and direct news update aspect of it, it never would have become a thing in the first place and never would have taken off.

So even when the invite only on Bluesky ends and regular users can go over there, unless major news organizations and news people like entertainment, politics, sports, science, etc all go over there, then no one will actually leave Twitter because that's where they'll get all their news feeds from.

What would change the game is if say the major networks news feeds cancelled their Twitter accounts and went over to Bluesky or some major sports news accounts or entertainment news accounts or celebrities cancelled their Twitter accounts and went over there. But I don't see that happening, because the big accounts won't leave the big user base. Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, Adam Schefter, and CNN, etc won't go exclusively to a platform that doesn't have enough eyeballs on their content.

I think Bluesky would have to generate hundreds of millions of users for those major news accounts to even consider leaving and most users won't consider leaving unless those major accounts are already on Bluesky. So it's kind of like a catch 22.

Last edited:
I've avoided downloading TikTok for that very reason. It's supposedly the most addictive of them all, with its finely tuned algorithms to keep you scrolling for more.
Nothing wrong with a little entertainment, but I'd just end up pissing away hours a week if I'm being honest.
At least with Gaf & Youtube, I still get some useful information out of it.

I was never particularly fond of Twitter's UX. That and how it seems to make people more spiteful and angry toward each other with how politicized the discourse tends to be there.
With Tiktok I can notice it changing the content to suit me. Say I watch a funny cat video then I start getting more funny cat videos. If I watch a prank video then I know it's going to start showing them. Tiktok is the only site that I am thinking "this shit is tracking me". I mean I know every other site/app is doing it but it's like Tiktok isn't even trying to hide it. So if it starts showing me videos I don't like then I am quickly scrolling it away thinking if I do this then it won't recommend me it again. Also i notice it fucks with my attention span. If a video doesn't grab my attention in the first few seconds then I am going to scroll away. If it's a longer video then I'm not watching it.

Pro tip: you can access NSFW posts without the app or an account if you add “old.” To the beginning of the url… eg old.reddit.com/r/kinkyshitnightmarelikes
I do visit old.reddit.com. The new design sucks. If they shut down old reddit then I am for sure going to be closing my account. I don't want to use the new design.

I think Twitter is unique in the fact that it's more driven as a news feed/update app than a social conversation app. Most people go there for news. If it didn't have the immediate and direct news update aspect of it, it never would have become a thing in the first place and never would have taken off.

So even when the invite only on Bluesky ends and regular users can go over there, unless major news organizations and news people like entertainment, politics, sports, science, etc all go over there, then no one will actually leave Twitter because that's where they'll get all their news feeds from.

What would change the game is if say the major networks news feeds cancelled their Twitter accounts and went over to Bluesky or some major sports news accounts or entertainment news accounts or celebrities cancelled their Twitter accounts and went over there. But I don't see that happening, because the big accounts won't leave the big user base. Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, Adam Schefter, and CNN, etc won't go exclusively to a platform that doesn't have enough eyeballs on their content.

I think Bluesky would have to generate hundreds of millions of users for those major news accounts to even consider leaving and most users won't consider leaving unless those major accounts are already on Bluesky. So it's kind of like a catch 22.
Yeah I only really use Twitter as a news source. I follow my local news channels, favourite bands, gaming companies, etc. I remember when Twitter really took off back in 2009 with that plane crash in the Hudson. At least that's when I realised what Twitter could be good for.

I do agree if Bluesky is to be successful then everyone needs to migrate over to it. On my Twitter I have posts from the POTUS, Elon, MrBeast, various major hollywood celebs, large companies/brands, music artists. If they stay on Twitter then a lot of people will stick with Twitter too. Twitter is going to really need to fuck up and Bluesky is going to have to offer something better.

Last edited:

Toons

Or... hear me out....

People can develop self control? And use it to control themselves?

No onrs forcing them to keep scrolling. Why should we make it these contents responsibility to regulate itself? Those amendments are nice but would fail to solve the core issue.

Or... hear me out....

No onrs forcing them to keep scrolling. Why should we make it these contents responsibility to regulate itself? Those amendments are nice but would fail to solve the core issue.
Just like gambling sites they would be completely optional. Don't want or need them then you don't need to use them. It's there as an option for people who are struggling to control themselves. Gambling is an addiction and so is social media. It cant hurt to give people options. It's fine saying people should just develop self control but it's not that easy is it? Go try and tell that to any person who is addicted to anything. It's like telling someone who is depressed "Have you tried just being happy?". It's not helpful at all.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Just like gambling sites they would be completely optional. Don't want or need them then you don't need to use them. It's there as an option for people who are struggling to control themselves. Gambling is an addiction and so is social media. It cant hurt to give people options. It's fine saying people should just develop self control but it's not that easy is it? Go try and tell that to any person who is addicted to anything. It's like telling someone who is depressed "Have you tried just being happy?". It's not helpful at all.
Especially when they have legions of psychologist and social engineers at their disposal.

Especially when they have legions of psychologist and social engineers at their disposal.
What the fuck are you talking about?

If you mean someone getting to a therapist it's not easy everywhere. Some people can't afford to visit a therapist and even if it's not costing anything you could be waiting a long time to see anyone. Yeah of course you should seek help but I don't see why you're against social media sites doing a bit more to help their users out?

Or seek help.
Maybe they already are? Or maybe they don't want or need to?

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
If you're using twitter enough to read more than 800 tweets a day, you probably should pay for it

Sitting on the bus or the toilet casually scrolling the timeline plus some replies will get you on 800 in no time, honestly.

800 in 24 hours really is not a whole lot.

Values have been updated to 1000, by the way.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
What the fuck are you talking about?

If you mean someone getting to a therapist it's not easy everywhere. Some people can't afford to visit a therapist and even if it's not costing anything you could be waiting a long time to see anyone. Yeah of course you should seek help but I don't see why you're against social media sites doing a bit more to help their users out?

Maybe they already are? Or maybe they don't want or need to?
How the fuck did you manage to misunderstand what I wrote?

It's the companies that have legions of psychologists and behavior experts to fuck up the consumer's habits.

mortal

Gold Member
Or... hear me out....

It's not about "focring" anyone. Nothing wrong with having measures in place for those that lack discipline. It can even help facilitate habits that promote self control.

It's not all that dissimilar to tracking calories and nutrition when trying to lose weight/body fat. They're just tools to keep you consistent and honest if you need them.
I think people underestimate just how powerful and effective certain algorithms can be, considering that our brains didn't exactly evolve to easily deal with social media addiction and its ramifications.
If everyone had the same amout of discipline and can easily quit, then social media addiction wouldn't be a thing ever, but that's not the reality.

Top Bottom