• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter is Officially Dying: Elon Musk sets new daily Twitter limits for users

SJRB

Gold Member
pjp42wk41j9b1.jpg

Bridges

I will be equally pleased whether he makes Twitter something much better than what it is or burns it to the ground.

Objectively seems like a bad move imo but I am not going to go back to Twitter regardless of what happens with it at this point.

sono

Gold Member
Not sure those limits (100s per day per account) equate with officially dying directly

phant0m

See guys, it's nothing to do with bad management and not paying the bills, Elon is doing this for us because he's kind and cares about us.

I know we make fun of him, but tbh I’m here for the social media implosion. Yes it has (had?) its benefits but in the last 5 years has become far more toxic to society as a whole.

There were ways to communicate and disseminate information before it and there will be new ways after.

Last edited:
I just saw the tweet.

I have no problem admitting that I like Elon Musk but that's starting to change. At least when it comes to Twitter, he keeps getting dumber and dumber.

He should be treated like George Lucas where people around him restrain him from doing stupid shit.
So you're saying we need to paddle Elon Musk for being an idiot? I'm on board. Let me get the paddle
a3cfaf74cc09cc49559d8b4c73c573c4.jpg

Toons

Just like gambling sites they would be completely optional. Don't want or need them then you don't need to use them. It's there as an option for people who are struggling to control themselves. Gambling is an addiction and so is social media. It cant hurt to give people options. It's fine saying people should just develop self control but it's not that easy is it? Go try and tell that to any person who is addicted to anything. It's like telling someone who is depressed "Have you tried just being happy?". It's not helpful at all.

We don't have reminders stopping people from ordering 3 pizzas and eating them in one day, do you think that is needed? Or should some folks just work on developing self control for their own health? Maybe the answers somewhere in the middle.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Hard to imagine a time when Twitter did not exist. But there was a time that Twitter did not exist and we managed. In fact, things were better then. If this move really hurts you, time to reflect on life.

A lot of small businesses will be affected by the loss of Twitter.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
A lot of small businesses will be affected by the loss of Twitter.
Small business existed before social media. Just do what they did before FB, Twitter and Instagram got up and running. Which for many companies was doing nothing except a yellow pages listing. And small businesses still survived.

Considering Twitter is a free service for the majority of its existence and the company lost money almost every year (but somehow still survived?), it can be argued any users and companies relying on Twitter and the like for customers and followers got the long end of the stick as it sure seemed the collective user base and businesses did better than Twitter has done for itself.

When good things come to an end, got to be prepared to go a different route or pay up etc...

It's like when COVID came and tons of cities shut down in-dining restaurants for a year (at least here it did). Some restaurants totally shut down because they didn't have a back up plan or could prove to the city their place is safe for take out. But tons of businesses still had take out options. Not just the big Mcdonalds and Burger Kings, but small restaurants too. And you could tell they were prepared and efficient because you visit their shop and they got safety signs everywhere, hand sanitizer, no touch pick up, everyone is wearing masks etc.... Some adapted, some didnt. Lots didn't even open up one day. They probably tried to wait it out assuming the gov would open things up after a month... then it was two months... then 6 months etc... Got to a point many just shut down permanently. Too late.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Small business existed before social media. Just do what they did before FB, Twitter and Instagram got up and running. Which for many companies was doing nothing except a yellow pages listing. And small businesses still survived.

Considering Twitter is a free service for the majority of its existence and the company lost money almost every year (but somehow still survived?), it can be argued any users and companies relying on Twitter and the like for customers and followers got the long end of the stick as it sure seemed the collective user base and businesses did better than Twitter has done for itself.

When good things come to an end, got to be prepared to go a different route or pay up etc...

It's like when COVID came and tons of cities shut down in-dining restaurants for a year (at least here it did). Some restaurants totally shut down because they didn't have a back up plan or could prove to the city their place is safe for take out. But tons of businesses still had take out options. Not just the big Mcdonalds and Burger Kings, but small restaurants too. And you could tell they were prepared and efficient because you visit their shop and they got safety signs everywhere, hand sanitizer, no touch pick up, everyone is wearing masks etc.... Some adapted, some didnt. Lots didn't even open up one day. They probably tried to wait it out assuming the gov would open things up after a month... then it was two months... then 6 months etc... Got to a point many just shut down permanently. Too late.

Not saying there aren't alternatives but a lot of people DO rely on Twitter. Not every small business can rely on local customers. Many nowadays rely on national and even international customer bases.

Good alternatives are FB and TikTok... Even Instagram.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not saying there aren't alternatives but a lot of people DO rely on Twitter. Not every small business can rely on local customers. Many nowadays rely on national and even international customer bases.

Good alternatives are FB and TikTok... Even Instagram.
There's social media options as you listed. Twitter is just one site. My repair guy I call has a website, FB account, Twitter account. I dont know if he has more as I'm too lazy to do a google check. If he can do it as a one person handyman, anyone can.

Any company relying on one website is like a businesses putting all their eggs into one customer. All it takes is the customer to disappear and then it's a spiral down the toilet. That's why every company likes to diversify their customer base (well, at least they should try to). Our company tries not to have one customer be more than 20% of business. But sometimes you can't help it as stores like Walmart dominate and naturally outpace the rest of the accounts.

Our company also uses many third party marketing companies, ad agencies and custom packagers. Because if one disappears or cant fulfill our service requests, we go to one of the other ones as option B or C.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
There's social media options as you listed. Twitter is just one site. My repair guy I call has a website, FB account, Twitter account. I dont know if he has more as I'm too lazy to do a google check. If he can do it as a one person handyman, anyone can.

Any company relying on one website is like a businesses putting all their eggs into one customer. All it takes is the customer to disappear and then it's a spiral down the toilet. That's why every company likes to diversify their customer base (well, at least they should try to). Our company tries not to have one customer be more than 20% of business. But sometimes you can't help it as stores like Walmart dominate and naturally outpace the rest of the accounts.

Our company also uses many third party marketing companies, ad agencies and custom packagers. Because if one disappears or cant fulfill our service requests, we go to one of the other ones as option B or C.

I agree. Having your business visible on more than one social media site is essential.

phant0m

and i don't know how much people check the "social media presence" of these types of businesses but so many twitter and instagram accounts are basically abandonware. haven't posted or updated in months or ever years. a website and a google/yelp page is more than sufficient for people to find you.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
and i don't know how much people check the "social media presence" of these types of businesses but so many twitter and instagram accounts are basically abandonware. haven't posted or updated in months or ever years. a website and a google/yelp page is more than sufficient for people to find you.

Hard disagree. On every point you made.

I've seen many active social media small business pages and one recently had a huge uptick in orders because of a viral TikTok video.

Yeah, some people can't make their business a booming success but those who stick with it can make a profit. You have to understand, a lot of these small businesses are located in people's homes. Not in a brick and mortar or with a big warehouse. They hand make all their products.

A yelp page and a website aren't at all sufficient for a small business operated from home. That's why many are looking to make posts or videos go viral. Sometimes with the help of a random user to who buys their products and THEIR post/video goes viral.

Especially if their product(s) are niche.

phant0m

Hard disagree. On every point you made.

I've seen many active social media small business pages and one recently had a huge uptick in orders because of a viral TikTok video.

Yeah, some people can't make their business a booming success but those who stick with it can make a profit. You have to understand, a lot of these small businesses are located in people's homes. Not in a brick and mortar or with a big warehouse. They hand make all their products.

A yelp page and a website aren't at all sufficient for a small business operated from home. That's why many are looking to make posts or videos go viral. Sometimes with the help of a random user to who buys their products and THEIR post/video goes viral.

Especially if their product(s) are niche.

fair. i was referring to more traditional brick-and-mortar businesses. pet shops, restaurants, local hardware store, beauty salons, etc.... they all have websites that link to FB/twitter/insta and half the links are dead or haven't had a post in 6+ months. And if they do "keep one up" it's usually Facebook.

Porcile

Haven't used Twitter in a couple years at this point. Has the takeover done anything to actually improve the product of Twitter itself? This forum for example and some other services I use get feature updates but Twitter also completely bare to me so in the end I got bored with it. I think the main problem all social media sites face probably right now isn't getting people to sign up and or keeping people there, it's getting the people who did decide to leave to actually come back. Feels like these are relatively young products yet there countless fairly young people who will never have a Facebook or Twitter or Netflix account again for the rest of their lives which is pretty crazy if you think about it.

Haven't used Twitter in a couple years at this point. Has the takeover done anything to actually improve the product of Twitter itself?

No, he completely fucked up the entire app. He lost ridiculous amounts of ad dollars and replaced it with peanuts for subscriptions.

Every single thing he has done has led to its death.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I heard "Fortnite is dying" every year since 2018.

The "Twitter is dying" people are literally exactly the same personality type. People love their tribes, holy @#$%.
When Activision had those handful of crappy CODs during that Ghosts/AW/Infinite era (add in WWII soon after), COD was supposed to be dead as a door nail. It's still around raking in the bucks selling 20-30M copies. All Activision had to do is focus on Cold War/MW/Black Ops games and stop WWII and weird off shoot eras like that space version. They found their footing.

The series is supposed to be rehashed games with the key feature just being new maps. People love it none the less.

All Twitter has to do is figure it out. The old way wasnt working as the company is losing money. Just a matter if Musk and engineers can figure out a good Twitter service that can make some profits so it isn't a money pit forever. The company has been around for like 15 years and I think lost money almost every year despite gazillions of users and usage. If that means losing some users in the process (unprofitable leachers like me who just view tweets and never sign up and post), then so be it. I'll be the first to be cut off (which I already am with the sign up splash page).

Last edited:
In a way its good since people can get a life and stop staying long on social media.

If he's trying to kill the platform, I commend him, but if he wants it to thrive, then I don't get wtf he's doing.

Good, I hope this really does kill twitter. The world is better without it.

Good for him if his intent was to destroy Twitter from the inside.

For you and everyone else happy about the idea of seeing twitter killed off, I wanted to ask you all the same question that I asked in the other thread:

What about people who want to discuss current events online, but don't want to do so in a ban happy echo chamber like Reddit, and also don't want to put up with genuine hate and slurs, or deal with a partisan platform that overwhelmingly is only going to attract one particular worldview?

Other than Twitter recently, what websites or apps can you name where people can have genuine discussions about current events and see a variety of viewpoints?

And even Musk is screwing that up with his new blue check system, but it's still closer than Reddit, and TikTok isn't suited for discussion. As far as the internet goes, what other options are there? That's the thing about seeing Musk continue to screw up twitter that bothers me the most.

I fail to see how this is dying, who the hell watches 600posts per day, get a freakin life lol.

And for everyone who feels this way, think of it like this: We're at post 130 of this thread. Did you read all the other posts? Even if you didn't, that counted. If you loaded each page and the scrolled through looking for anything interesting, that counted. And that's just one thread, and text in twitter threads is generally MUCH more limited than a forum like GAF. How long do you think it would take you to hit 600 posts here? Because on twitter, it would be a lot faster.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Fuck this elitism and shitty invite only. This is why Mastodon/Bluesky need to crash and burn.

It's not elitism, people just don't want to be exposed to the thoughts of bigots and racists, or just flat out a-holes, while the platform is being built. I personally know a person on the team and am like internet friendly with another, and they're not the archetypal Mastodon user you probably imagine them to be. Let's put it this way: they would defintely get banned from resetera for speaking their mind. In fact now that I think about it, one was banned from there :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Anywho, I wouldn't recommend Mastodon either. It's difficult finding an instance not filled with people actively hunting for people to shun from the tribe. It's just a bad experience. But Bluesky is a lot of fun. And since it's still small the celebrities, politicians, and journalists actually reply to you sometimes. Before he deleted his thread for some reason, I had a pretty long discussion with Neil Gaiman. Even AOC and Andy Richter chimed in. I think Jake Tapper too? I forget, some person from CNN or whatever. That kind of shit doesn't really happen in Twitter any more. Bluesky is like Twitter from 2013, before doom scrolling was a thing.

Hugare

I know we make fun of him, but tbh I’m here for the social media implosion. Yes it has (had?) its benefits but in the last 5 years has become far more toxic to society as a whole.

There were ways to communicate and disseminate information before it and there will be new ways after.
I would like to have your optimism, but social media isnt gonna implode

The Pandora Box has been opened. Twitter will die, and another one will take its place (probably worse)

Instagram is just as bad. Then there's Tiktok and etc.

I also would like social media to die. Internet in general have become more and more toxic with time.

So many of society's problems got worse due to the internet. And it will get even worse as time goes on.

Depressing stuff, really

Fuz

Banned
It's not elitism, people just don't want to be exposed to the thoughts of bigots and racists, or just flat out a-holes, while the platform is being built. I personally know a person on the team and am like internet friendly with another, and they're not the archetypal Mastodon user you probably imagine them to be. Let's put it this way: they would defintely get banned from resetera for speaking their mind. In fact now that I think about it, one was banned from there :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Gating is elitism. And they're trying to build an echo chamber? Sounds much worse than the worst twitter.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Gating is elitism. And they're trying to build an echo chamber? Sounds much worse than the worst twitter.

Facebook did the same when it started. So did Twitter and other social media platforms. Even websites. They have to gauge potential engagement and server load before opening up to the full public. Every social media platform did the same thing. This isn't new.

Even Gmail had an invite system when it first started.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

No, as Deaf pointed out this is normal for new platforms, even Twitter itself did this. Heh. Anyways.

Hey Elon Musk, how’s “Pay me $8” working out you now?

He taunted and goaded celebrities and politicians with that, and now his company will assuredly declare bankruptcy. It made him no money of any importance, but it was supposed to make twitter profitable.

He turned twitter subscription fees into the scarlet letter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom