• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: Far Cry 4 expected to move 6M+ units, The Crew 2M; Watch Dogs at 9M+ shipped

In a post-earnings conference call, Ubisoft executives took questions from investors and revealed a few details about their sales expectations for their upcoming slate of games. The Crew is expected to sell around 2 million units, while Far Cry 4 is projected to move more than 6 million copies in its first year. It's unclear whether that game will have the long tail of its predecessor, however. Far Cry 3 sold 6 million units in its first year, but has since managed lifetime sales of 10 million copies.
Ubisoft specifically pointed to its continued success of new IP Watch Dogs, which has now shipped over 9 million units. Additionally, the publisher cited a "firm back catalog" that generated €113.7 million, thanks to games like Assassin's Creed Black Flag, South Park: The Stick of Truth, Far Cry 3 and Rayman Legends. It's also important to note that Ubisoft's digital segment revenues increased 90.4 percent to €134.7 million (27.8 percent of total sales) - this was driven by digital distribution, DLC and in-game items and mobile titles.
Via GI.Biz

Can't help but feel that Far Cry 4 is going to get smothered by the competition this holiday. Some weeks ago, I really thought they were going to delay it till early next year.

And good for Watch Dogs, I'm glad it sold as well as it did. I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would, and welcome a sequel with open arms.

riotous

Banned
Don't see why The Crew is too optimistic. It's releasing on 360 and PC as well as next gen platforms that are a bit starved for games.

untitledfsfmiu2b.png

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Considering I haven't heard a single good thing about The Crew from people who have beta tested it, thay number seems way too high.

Ubi's little software factory is delivering.

It's good to see GTA V outselling watchdogs with a factor x though. People are still able to recognize quality.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
2641935_o.gif

Does NFS even get those numbers anymoe?

NFS is usually around 4-5 million, though some go a bit under. I suspect The Run was lower and the newest one might have been too.

However once you get below that you're usually talking about pretty low sales. Codemasters makes noise every time they pass the million mark and they're pretty quiet.

The crew will have to be a critical darling to have a chance at 2 million. Either that or some genius marketing campaign. Far cry will hit easily, especially if it is as fun as 3

Considering how huge the Crew's map is, I wonder if 2 million will actually allow them to be profitable? Massive open worlds are a huge selling point these days, so I could see it selling if the reviews are good and they advertise, but I hear they have to fix the handling.

Cragvis

FC4? I can see that. It looks good, and has had good feedback on those that got to play it early.

The Crew? uh...unless the latest beta we are going to try has fixed a few things. I doubt it, maybe 1 mill if they are lucky. I love the size of the world, but the handling is bad, and auto car healing? uhhh. not for me.

Watch Dogs? Pretty sure it sold tons at release due to the hype of the first reveal trailer. reality hit hard for everyone AFTER they bought it.

Gamer345

Banned
To be fair, PS4 owners are still waiting for a large online racer. The Crew could quench that thirst.

Great joke, did you come up with that all by yourself?

Driveclub multiplayer still works for people even with its problems, I have seen many Live from playstation streams and most of them are playing multiplayer with no problem

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
To me the biggest fault of The Crew is that it's been in development for over six years according to Ubisoft.

Like in 2008 it made a lot of sense to look at the racing genre and go "Well things aren't quite as strong as they once were, but there's good health here and if we come out with something new and interesting we can hit it big!"

In 2014 that looks insane by comparison because everyone focuses on the absolute biggest hits and games with 50,000 features and gameplay styles while other retail games faceplant.

The exceptions to this are usually long standing franchises to boot, while this is a new IP.

As others have said, The Crew, 2 million is...I mean maybe by the beginning of next year after like a couple of sales.

Can't see that in the first month.

To me the biggest fault of The Crew is that it's been in development for over six years according to Ubisoft.

Like in 2008 it made a lot of sense to look at the racing genre and go "Well things aren't quite as strong as they once were, but there's good health here and if we come out with something new and interesting we can hit it big!"

In 2014 that looks insane by comparison because everyone focuses on the absolute biggest hits and games with 50,000 features and gameplay styles while other retail games faceplant.

The exceptions to this are usually long standing franchises to boot, while this is a new IP.

Wait really? I had no idea it was in development for so long. Going by what I saw, most of that time really was really just mapping out the US.

pulsemyne

How do they expect PC sales to rise when all PC gamers know the shit show of Ubisoft games on the platform? Here's an idea, take some time to actually optimise your games so they work well across a broad spectrum of PC setups then you may get more sales and not such a bad reputation.

Dolobill

Watch Dogs' success doesn't sit well with me. I thought it was the most underwhelming game of the year. Although I hope this teaches publishers to release more games around May, rather than sending them all into November to die. There are at least 4 games I'm skipping this November that I would have gladly picked up over Watch Dogs in May.

Great joke, did you come up with that all by yourself?

Driveclub multiplayer still works for people even with its problems, I have seen many Live from playstation streams and most of them are playing multiplayer with no problem

Wut? Who said anything about DriveClub?
I'm talking open world with more than 5(Rivals) players against each other at any one time.

Am I missing something here? Where are they talking about first month sales?

They aren't but when it comes to big publishers they care more the most about how fast a game can sell copies in a month. Then again I don't know what they expect with "The Crew".

You are right though none of this says anything about first month sells, me just spitballing.

Top Bottom