• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft started removing The Crew from user accounts

RCU005

I don’t condone what Ubisoft is doing, but if the game is completely inoperable when launching it, who cares? It’s not usable anyways.

With that said, the real argument is online-only games. If the game function is 100% dependent of online (like a game such as Super Mario 35, for example), if you purchase a game like that, you have to know that you are buying future trash right? Whether it last one month, one year or ten years, eventually it will cease to work.

On the other hand, games that have single player modes, multiplayer with friends, etc. Those games need to be protected and companies should be required to leave them operable after server closure.

On the other, other hand: it’s Ubisoft. One of the most greedy and corrupt video game company. It’s like a trifecta of those: EA, WB and Ubisoft.

Edit: Also, why does it even affect companies to leave the game usable for people who have it downloaded? Allow people to download the game before delist it, and allow them to keep using it. This shit just seem like bad faith and just greed.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Oh no, a 10 year old online only game that nobody is playing anymore is unplayable! The sky is falling.
Considering it's UBISOFT, and games are like $20 after 3 months and $10 after 6 months, hardly anyone paid $70 for it to begin with, more like $10.
And 10 years wasn't long enough to get value out of it? I mean are you really playing the crew even now? I know I know, it's the prinicpal, don't take my toys, I own them, bla bla bla, heaven forbid you play one of the other 500 games you haven't touched that are actually better.

If you are planning on hitching your horse to "see physical is better" due to this game, you have the wrong horse.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
OVUWZgn.jpeg

Filben

I don’t condone what Ubisoft is doing, but if the game is completely inoperable when launching it, who cares? It’s not usable anyways.
I'd argue you can't even legally install the game anymore. Let's say someone would mod the shit out of the game and made it somehow possible to play offline/on private/proxy servers you could still be playing. Now, you would need to obtain your once legally bought copy "somewhere" else which could lead to criminalising said legitimate owner of the copy.

Again, and to preempt certain arguments: It's not about this specific game but the ramifications of said tactics and product policies of one of the biggest game publishers in the world.

dorkimoe

Oh no, a 10 year old online only game that nobody is playing anymore is unplayable! The sky is falling.
Considering it's UBISOFT, and games are like $20 after 3 months and $10 after 6 months, hardly anyone paid $70 for it to begin with, more like $10.
And 10 years wasn't long enough to get value out of it? I mean are you really playing the crew even now? I know I know, it's the prinicpal, don't take my toys, I own them, bla bla bla, heaven forbid you play one of the other 500 games you haven't touched that are actually better.

If you are planning on hitching your horse to "see physical is better" due to this game, you have the wrong horse.
and micro transactions started with a simple horse armor
it all starts somewhere, digital future means you dont own shit

Krathoon

It comes down to this:

Are you allowed your copy of a game if it no longer works without modification?

I say you are. You still have a license to use the software.

Last edited:

Krathoon

One practice I have seen on old software is to make it open source. That would be nice, but companies probably have proprietary libraries.

FeralEcho

Speaking of horses...the microtransaction nightmare of today started with just this little guy:
6Pc09gm.jpg

and people back then were as oblivious as you are now to the ramifications of what it meant so no...We should never give publishers any excuse when they forcibly remove our own purchased products! Are you gonna pat a thief on the back and tell him it was old anyway after he steals from you?

We should make ourselves heard and tell them loud and clear to steer clear and fuck off!

If I buy a product from you,I don't care of it's 50 years old,I paid for it and you have no right to take it from me!

Krathoon

These companies don't want you to own a damn thing. They want you to have subscriptions to libraries.

They want you to rent everything.

raduque

Oh interesting, that’s messed up. It sounds like it is intentional then. Are the servers shut down on the game?
Yes, but it also had an offline single player mode, that was actually capable of being played alone (a lot of psuedo MMOs aren't actually playable solo). There could have been a patch to allow the offline mode to live.

THE DUCK

and micro transactions started with a simple horse armor
it all starts somewhere, digital future means you dont own shit

So what, how does this affect the real world? We might one day not be able to play a 10 year old game? Or a 20 year old single player game? If you are that desperate at that point, you can probably have a child emulate it for you on a toaster.
You can "re-own" it then with the tiniest bit of initiative.

Futaleufu

People are making a lot of noise for a game nobody was playing. I used to play it, I moved to The Crew 2 and never looked back.

THE DUCK

Speaking of horses...the microtransaction nightmare of today started with just this little guy:
6Pc09gm.jpg

and people back then were as oblivious as you are now to the ramifications of what it meant so no...We should never give publishers any excuse when they forcibly remove our own purchased products! Are you gonna pat a thief on the back and tell him it was old anyway after he steals from you?

We should make ourselves heard and tell them loud and clear to steer clear and fuck off!

If I buy a product from you,I don't care of it's 50 years old,I paid for it and you have no right to take it from me!

First world problem in a sea of amazing games coming out every year. Big picture, this isn't a big deal.
Nothing was being forcibly removed by the way, the agreements when we "buy" these games are licenses, not ownership.

"The end-user license agreement (EULA) for The Crew outlines states that the game is “licensed” rather than sold, and stipulates that Ubisoft may alter the terms of the agreement at any time. Ubisoft grants you a non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensed, non-commercial and personal license to install and/or use the product… for such time until either you or Ubisoft terminates this EULA,” the license says. “This product is licensed to you, not sold.”

You are free to not spend you money on any game you don't feel has "ownership legacy rights". Good luck with that.

Last edited:

Mayar

Neo Member
Welcome to a future where you own nothing. But you will pay for this emptiness regularly. Everything has been heading towards this for a long time, since at some certain point in time society suddenly decided that they were too lazy to get their butts off the couch and walk to the store.

Hope they get sued for this.

As far as I understand, no one reads the license agreement anymore. No, they will not be sued, since you accept the terms of the license agreement when installing the game.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Honestly this is kinda bullshit but then it is also Ubisoft so it is expected.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
What are you guys gonna do with the physical disc of the crew anyway, boot the start screen and imagine some gameplay?
Wait, you really don't understand that what people want is just the ability to play the game offline? It's not that hard to get.

He sold The Crew through Steam.
With a big yellow message saying that you need to accept a 3rd-party EULA and a new launcher. I don't know why you are trying to blame Valve on this, you make absolutely no sense.
It's like blaming any other 3rd party reseller (GreenManGaming, Amazon etc etc...)

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Who cares the game is unplayable. Just display the popup message that the servers are disabled when trying to install it. Removing it from the libraries will piss off people even more, because it will remind them they don't own their digital copies (which isn't a well known fact).

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Has anyone checked to see if the modding community has this game working again on private servers?
This is also why this removal is quite anticonsumer from ubisoft- private servers exist and people use them to revive dead online games....

You are pretending as though "we" is one homogenous entity. "We" do not care though, unlike you and some few others.

I agree only that "buying" something should be explained better for ignorant people like you that still believe a buy is some forever license, but this development won't stop (same as mtx won't disappear) just because it annoys the shit out of you and some others. You can buy physical all you want, if you are the minority and "own" now a useless disc for a game that does not work just off of that disc, you won't stop shit despite having some preservation mindset.
I also think revoking games with existing successors should automatically grant some price reduction on that or even better the content of game 1 should always moved over to game 2 and so on, since that is anyway the gaas future. Actually killing the first game while trying to move or preserve your audience is probably also quite a hassle for the publishers, so it would benefit them too.

Wait, you really don't understand that what people want is just the ability to play the game offline? It's not that hard to get.

With a big yellow message saying that you need to accept a 3rd-party EULA and a new launcher. I don't know why you are trying to blame Valve on this, you make absolutely no sense.
It's like blaming any other 3rd party reseller (GreenManGaming, Amazon etc etc...)

Yeah but...the crew is an online only game. You guys are shitting on digital games like all digital games are online only shitfest. Going rah rah nobody can take away my physical collection because of this one game is lol.

kyussman

People get a refund for the game when this happens though,right?........................or that would be stealing,right?................something,something,user agreement,something ,something,we have the right to take your shit,lol.

FunkMiller

So, you’re all going to stop buying Ubisoft games to punish them for this bullshit, aren’t you?

…because otherwise, they, and all the rest, will keep pulling this shit, as they know they have a completely cucked audience…

hemo memo

Gold Member
What are you guys gonna do with the physical disc of the crew anyway, boot the start screen and imagine some gameplay?
Return it to the place you’ve bought it from. Say the game I’ve bought is not working. You’ll be correct. Let the store deal with the publisher.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Yeah but...the crew is an online only game. You guys are shitting on digital games like all digital games are online only shitfest. Going rah rah nobody can take away my physical collection because of this one game is lol.
You must be misinterpreting because I have been okay with buying my games digitally for a very long time. And I don't buy the excuse of "it's a MMO blablabla" as you can look at City of Heroes and what they have done for example: NCSoft gave a licence to some people so they can keep the game up and running. And I don't like The Crew, I personally think it's shit but I do think if we accept this now it's gonna be worse and worse. This is a precedent I don't want to accept and I don't get how anyone can't see this. The day it's gonna touch a game you like it's gonna be too late.

alienator

As far as I understand, no one reads the license agreement anymore. No, they will not be sued, since you accept the terms of the license agreement when installing the game.

Can i read a license agreement of a game before paying 60-80e? i think its kinda a deathtrap that u can only press yes in the installer of the game to actually play it and judge if its good or bad, your money is theirs at that point anyways, and sure u can refund, but ive never actually heard of someone refunding his game solely after reading a licence agreement u dont agree with. u basically give them money and then they tell u what they will do with the game afterwards. Then pull shady shit like this and hide behind a TOS.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I think EU should make this practice illegal. Meaning that if they want to close the shop, they would be forced to publish server binaries, so you could run it yourself or something. Docker has good security, so after they would feel like its runs its course, just release the Docker image and be done with it.

If Ubisoft want to continue down this path then they will only fuel people's desire to sail the seven seas for their games. MP only titles are a different story in that if they render them unplayable then there isn't much you can do, but single player stuff? No excuse to prevent access.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
So let's see. Gaf is making a big deal over an online only game from 2014 ending life like it's some form of dark messiah of digital content future? Checks out.

Top Bottom