• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft was ‘disappointed’ by Assassin’s Creed Nexus VR sales, will not increase VR investment

Draugoth

Gold Member
assassins-creed-nexus-vr-1280x712.jpg

Ubisoft co-founder and CEO Yves Guillemot has called Assassin’s Creed Nexus VR sales “disappointing”, and stated that the publisher will not be investing too heavily on VR for now.

We have been a bit disappointed by what we were able to achieve on VR with Assassin’s Creed It did okay, and it continues to sell, but we thought it would sell more, so we are not increasing our investment on VR at the moment, because it needs to take off.

We have been very impressed by what Apple came up with, and we think it’s fantastic hardware, but we continue to look at this VR business as something that we have to look at but not invest too much in, until it grows enough.

phant0m

bought it day 1, so did my part

Shame, it was a pretty fun experience too

Publishers also expect everything to sell a billion fucking copies these days, but they’re their own worst enemies — they design games to keep you hooked/engaged/invested for dozens and hundreds of hours. Guess what? You’ve eaten up people’s time and they’re not gonna buy shit they don’t have time to play.

Last edited:

ahtlas7

The reviews were not good for this. I’m not dumping ~40€ on a questionable Ubi VR game.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I can't even do it, makes me physically set. Tried my friends Oculus a long time ago. Played for 15 minutes and have been dizzy for 6+ years ever since.

Whatever that Eve tech demo game was. :messenger_anxious:

I'm like that as well. Not to that extent, no lasting effects but my experience with PSVR made me put that back in the box. I was able to finish the game with the little robot guy and the floating islands but that Iron Man demo, that was a rough one for me.

I never tried to work up my endurance though.

Crayon

Entry cost is the main issue.

I think it's more, though that is the 2nd biggest one. "B"

A. Not enough game with... And I hate to say this... killer graphics. Kinda goes hand in hand with expensive toys. Main reason I went for psvr2 was things like GT7 and re8.

C. Never having tried it and thinking you know what it is. Many more people have tried it by now, but still a problem.

D. "VRAF" games are not necessarily it. There should be ports of games played with a controller. It's much easier to do and I am not always in the mood for standing or seated VR controls that have me moving around more. Some even get into exercise territory. A seated game with just the headset difference would have me playing much more often. A sort of intermediate mode of play.

Killjoy-NL

I think it's more, though that is the 2nd biggest one. "B"

A. Not enough game with... And I hate to say this... killer graphics. Kinda goes hand in hand with expensive toys. Main reason I went for psvr2 was things like GT7 and re8.

C. Never having tried it and thinking you know what it is. Many more people have tried it by now, but still a problem.

D. "VRAF" games are not necessarily it. There should be ports of games played with a controller. It's much easier to do and I am not always in the mood for standing or seated VR controls that have me moving around more. Some even get into exercise territory. A seated game with just the headset difference would have me playing much more often. A sort of intermediate mode of play.
You might be right. Makes a lot of sense.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Maybe if they didn’t price it out of the normal VR games. I’m not spending $40 for it when I’m having a blast playing $20 games.

I’ll make sure to take the game out of my wish list.

danklord

Gold Member
I just fired this up for the first time yesterday and it really is great. It baffles me that it's not on PCVR and PSVR2. I'm sure meta threw a moneyhat at them but VR really needs to be more multiplatform.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I’m disappointed in ubisosoft glad their sheit won’t spread in VR

Romulus

It's a good 8/10 game but without knowing their expectations it's difficult to gauge.

"My expectations weren't met."

"Ok, what did you expect?"

It's entirely possible they expected to sell a ridiculous amount. The Quest community jumped on them at launch because the game had performance issues that were addressed later.
You only get one chance at launch to make that impression.

A solid game that launches with widely reported performance issues when Quest 3 just launched?

Sounds like the want to quickly make back the investment superseded logic.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

Might turn out that a big appeal of games is not having to move so much. lol.
IT's that ability to sit on the couch and chill out that helps make games attractive.

Maybe virtually moving around has much less appeal. IT becomes too much like what people are trying to escape from when they play games?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
To me VR doesn't offer enough content to justify to pay that money for it.

I bet majority of people rater save up money to get Switch 2 over VR.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Best thing for VR gamers (existing or thinking about buying one) is to set expectations low. Look at the best selling games and it's stuff like Super Hot and Beat Saber.

VR goggle makers dont even take it seriously because they hardly make any games and most arent exactly budget busters either. They'll sink tons of money into games meant for consoles (even launch consoles with hardly any sales yet) and PC rigs, but not $500+ VR set hardware. So if the VR maker doesnt really care about making AAA games for VR, why should any gamers amp up and get into the ecosystem when HL Alyx is supposed to be the greatest VR game out that resembles AAA and thats it.

But if you like unique experiences with VR and enjoy those kind of $20 budget games thats totally fine. I like playing games that resemble budget games too (I got my share of Steam, GOG and Xbox indie downloads). But for me, I'm not paying $500+ extra to do it VR style.

its funny because when Wii waving was the rage, everyone core gamer made fun of people waving the hands standing in their living room. VR is ind of the same to me, except with goggles you got a 360 view instead of looking at the TV. But the waggling is totally similar. Slashing a sword in Red Steel is the same as slashing a sword with a VR set and wrist controllers.

Last edited:

Resenge

VR doesn't even need VR specific games. Some of the best VR experiences are flat screen games ported to VR, Resident Evil 4 Remake, Resident Evil Village, Gran Turismo are all way better in VR.

Just add VR options to your flat screen games, then everyone gets what they want.

Last edited:

Hot5pur

VR is absolutely incredible. I too was a 2D fanboy at one point, but after getting into VR properly, getting the VR legs, seeing all that is possible, it's really next level.
The game definitely have depth, even more depth because of all the degrees of freedom. In a video game you are limited to a few buttons and the direction inputs, in VR you can move however you want, attack however you want, cast spells however you want, etc.
Then you have simracing, flight sticks, all the sports games, various simulations.....it's so much more than a gaming system
As for ass creed, the game came in at $40, was pretty good but had some flaws, and released during a really busy holiday period with a ton of other stuff releasing around the same time for usually $20-30.
VR gamers are used to fairly low prices and smaller scope games.
At any rate, I think VR devs are some of the most passionate around, just look at freaking Vertigo 2. There's a bright future for VR we just need people to give it a real chance and stick with it until they get their VR legs and get over the hurdles.

sendit

Gotta take baby steps and build up your VR legs. Eve Valkyrie is not a good place to start.
Baby steps isn't going to help. Most VR games make me dizzy (they make a lot of people dizzy). The only VR game i've been able to play for a prolonged period is GT7. Even that at times made my stomach churn (elevation dips) due to the disconnect between a players physical body.

I want VR to succeed as it provides experiences that are simply unmatched. You literally feel like you're a part of the gaming world. However, I'm not sure what they can do outside of full body movement on a stationary platform like this:

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

They should do Far Cry or Avatar proper vr mode like capcom for pc and psvr2 and not waste money on standalone vr games

Top Bottom