• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 200 Tate vs Nunes |OT| The Fall of Jonesius

Status
Not open for further replies.
After rewatching their first fight, I really think DC has a shot at pulling the upset. He got some good shots in, especially in round 2. He just needed to come up with something in the later rounds instead of letting Jones go into grind mode.

It's hard to come up with something in the later rounds when you've spent the first 3 getting demoralized and battered in that soft belly.

VoxPop

Vince McMahon said:
They want 200 to be as big as possible, I feel they would still go for Brock/Hunt. Wouldn't hurt.

That would have been an extra epic card that wouldn't have been topped for years. I hope Brock can pull off the upset so we can see him a couple more times in the Octagon™.

HalfBakedProphet said:
Brock said he and the UFC initially discussed a comeback for the NY card in MSG in November.

Sounds like they moved it up to fill the spot

This is good news to my ears. I'm glad they're holding their MSG debut in pretty high regard with a fight like that. A lot of things can happen from now till November and I wanna see what kind of card they put together.

my 2¢ / picks

What a fucking card. Conor/Diaz 2 would have made it even sweeter for me but a rematch between the two best and the addition of Bork more than made up for it. A bunch of FOX headliner-esque fights scattered in the prelims and just good matchmaking all around.

Jon Jones x Daniel Cormier

As much as I like Jones and want to see him crush every record in the books, I wouldn't mind a nice little rivalry between him and DC to cap this generation. DC taking a win here could open up an Ali/Frazier type ordeal. They are imo the two best fighters in the world regardless of weight class and 2 easy Jon Jones wins just doesn't seem as exciting to me. It's not like Jones is a huge draw right now anyway.

But I still see Jones getting the win here in a much tougher fight than the first.

Brock Lesnar x Mark Hunt

Classic gimmick match between two one dimensional fighters just like the good old days. Hats off to Dana & Co. for getting this to happen. I say there is absolutely no other fighter I'd love for Bork to face more than this fraud Hunt. Fedor is numero uno on the hit list but I don't see that happening for a while especially after he just got pummeled by a 205 boxcar fighter.

There is a zero chance that this fight will not be exciting. I'm betting a meme worthy moment every 45 seconds. I'm enjoying Hunt's little cinderella run but his grappling will surely be tested one last time when the great Brock Lesnar gets his meaty oven mitts on that pudgy body en route to a violent TKO win in the first round just before his back to back instant classic with Randy Orton.

Meisha Tate x Amanda Nunes

Can't say I've seen enough Nunes to really say she has no shot but I think Meisha is just at the top of her game right now. Nunes has been rather unimpressive to me with the cardio struggles and that is a department Meisha shines in. While I think a Tate/Holm fight would have been better, there are enough rematches on this card. I see Cupcake outmuscling Nunes for a large remainder of the fight before sinking in a submission.

Jose Aldo x Frankie Edgar

I think it's actually the perfect time for this rematch. Something I don't get to say a lot. Aldo after a decade long reign got turned into the jester he hates so much in 13 seconds. We don't know where his mind is at till we see him in there. Lil Frankie on the other hand his been cleaning house at 145 and being denied his title shot (who can blame them) over and over. No one really cares about the interim title but to these guys, the interim title at 145 is pretty much a guaranteed mega money fight against Conor McGregor. Like winning Money in the Bank, I guess.

While I'm not totally ignoring the idea of a motivated and beastly Jose Aldo showing up, I just don't see it happening. I see the next 2-3 of his fights as a fall from grace. He's on the downtrend and facing elite guys who are probably at their fighting peak isn't a great idea for him. I see Frankie easily winning this fight and maybe even finishing him in the early rounds sealing his Mania main event.

Cain Velasquez x Travis Browne

If Cain can make it into the Octagon™ without his knees exploding into pixie dust, he should be able to make easy work of Browne. While I was high on Browne a few years back, he has clearly deteriorated into a shitty basic robotic Edmund striker. I think we see old school Cain that night looking like a killer before his triumphant return in 2019

Cat Zingano x Juliana Pena

Johny Hendricks x Kelvin Gastelum

TJ Dillashaw x Raphael Assuncao

Joe Lauzon x Diego Sanchez

Gegard Mousasix Thiago Santos

Sage Northcutt x Enrique Marin

Takanori Gomi x Jim Miller

Joanna Jedrzejczyk x Claudia Gadelha

Ross Pearson x Will Brooks

DooHo Choi x Thiago Tavares

Rafael Dos Anjos x Eddie Alvarez

Roy Nelson x Derrick Lewis

Camwi

He wasted a lot of energy trying to take jj down just to make the point that he could do it.

That too.

It's hard to come up with something in the later rounds when you've spent the first 3 getting demoralized and battered in that soft belly.

I don't remember which round the judges gave him, but I think he won round 2 pretty clearly.

There's something there for him to work with, but fuck if I know what it is.

BadAss2961

He's a watered down version of himself when he has to fight Jon Jones, who is just better in every way. Against every other LHW contender DC is the clear favorite.
That's because he still matches up well against everyone in the division but Jones. Rumble is a 2 round fighter that will gas, especially if wrestled. Gus is sort of a weaker, finesse version of Jones that prefers to stay outside more. DC still has enough left to beat those guys at light heavyweight because his style and good chin will beat theirs in a 5 round fight.

Jones is a freak light heavy with no holes in his game. But physically, he'd just be another guy at heavyweight.
Nobody was saying DC was watered down when he was crushing other LHWs. Could it be that he just ran into the greatest MMA fighter of all time in his prime?

Either way, It's obvious that DC's in his best fighting condition at heavyweight. His game is all about grappling and power punching inside, but he loses just enough power cutting to 205 that Jones has all the physical advantages. If DC could actually eat and come in at his natural weight, he'd at least have the power advantage in the clinch... Obviously Jones would be bigger too, but I don't think it would do him any favors. He's optimal at 205.

Remf

Man, I can't wait for Thursday! The start of 3 days of great fights it's like thousands of tiny little angels tickling my balls

Cromwell

Banned
This is the year of upsets. Would love to see DC win for all the Jones dickrider tears, and dude is a fake scumbag anyway so I have no idea why anyone roots for him.

Did you not graduate high school yet or something?

Remf

This is the year of upsets. Would love to see DC win for all the Jones dickrider tears, and dude is a fake scumbag anyway so I have no idea why anyone roots for him.

I don't root for him due to his winning personality. I root for him (and other fighters) due to the beautiful violence they bring into the cage. Ask yourself this, who's more exciting in the cage, jones or DC?

zewone

Aldo vs Frankie should just be for the real belt since Conor is never going back down.

If his next fight isn't defending it, it will be.

Same thing happened to Renan Barao when his interim belt became the real deal.

Cromwell

Banned
I don't root for him due to his winning personality. I root for him (and other fighters) due to the beautiful violence they bring into the cage. Ask yourself this, who's more exciting in the cage, jones or DC?

All that matters is who's a better fighter. They're both good fighters, but one happens to be a good person while the other is a total shitbag. I don't want total shitbags representing the sport.

Rumble is a fucking monster but also a good person. Holly Holm is a monster but also a good person. Same with Tate.

And McGregor makes it clear at the end of each fight that his entire schtick is just that, a schtick. Fighters should respect eachother at the end of the day, not make jokes about someone crying or someone being fat. It's fucking childish and stupid.

BadAss2961

Young hungry Jones climbing up the ranks was beautiful. Conservative champ Jones that hasn't finished anyone since blown up Chael in 2013? I'll take DC.

All that matters is who's a better fighter. They're both good fighters, but one happens to be a good person while the other is a total shitbag. I don't want total shitbags representing the sport.

Rumble is a fucking monster but also a good person. Holly Holm is a monster but also a good person. Same with Tate.

And McGregor makes it clear at the end of each fight that his entire schtick is just that, a schtick. Fighters should respect eachother at the end of the day, not make jokes about someone crying or someone being fat. It's fucking childish and stupid.

Fighters will point out that another guy has a "soft belly" in MMA and boxing to describe a point of attack. It's a weak spot, not a way of saying a guy is "fat".

Don't really see DC beating Jones. Mostly due to DC's body type. We've seen time and time again that Jones will just bully guys like this. Jones nullifies DC's wrestling and DC is no threat on the feet like Rumble & Gus, which is the chink in Jone's armor.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
He still hasn't really proved that he could. That wouldn't count as a takedown in FS, GR, or Folkstyle. I definitely don't think it counts as one in MMA either.

DC got an official takedown on Jones. It's a really dumb way of looking at things but no matter how little time was spent on the ground or whether anything was done with the position, a takedown is always a plus for the guy doing the takedown. Even when you end up in a worse position after you get up and the guy who got the takedown wasted a bunch of energy to net no advantage.

The Lesnar fight is such a gimmick. Didn't he get wrecked in his last two fights? And now he has been out of the game. Oh well good for Hunt to get the "prestige"

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The Lesnar fight is such a gimmick. Didn't he get wrecked in his last two fights? And now he has been out of the game. Oh well good for Hunt to get the "prestige"

Diverticulitis, pal.

DC got an official takedown on Jones. It's a really dumb way of looking at things but no matter how little time was spent on the ground or whether anything was done with the position, a takedown is always a plus for the guy doing the takedown. Even when you end up in a worse position after you get up and the guy who got the takedown wasted a bunch of energy to net no advantage.

You're right, I guess that is a TD in MMA. I wouldn't count it, but I have to accept it as a fact. I would still want to see him prove that he can actually take Jones down in the more historical sense of what a takedown is.

Dysun

Not having Conor is a big blow to my interest level.
Outside of Brock, not much is flashy here. Seems like a solid PPV but not like UFC 100

ApharmdX

Banned
My picks:

Jones UD
Lesnar sub rd 1
Tate sub rd 3
Aldo UD
Velasquez TKO rd 2

It's a decent card but without McGregor it's not stacked. Jones/Cormier 1 under-delivered after all the trash talk, to the point where while I hope DC wins, I'm not really hyped about it. Lesnar/Hunt is two guys who may only fight another couple of times, or never, no relevance to the HW division. Aldo/Edgar, two also-rans. Cain is nearing an early retirement.

How far has women's MMA come when the fight on the card that I'm most excited about, by far, is Tate/Nunes?

After rewatching their first fight, I really think DC has a shot at pulling the upset. He got some good shots in, especially in round 2. He just needed to come up with something in the later rounds instead of letting Jones go into grind mode.

Perhaps. DC fought a really stupid fight in their first match and dropped a decision, but he wasn't dominated or outclassed like a lot of Jones' opponents. This is a winnable fight for him, no question in my mind.

JB1981

Frankie is my most confident pick for the night.

Jones
Nunes
Brock

I will be rooting for him along with the rest of his hometown. I just don't like how he matches up against Aldo. Last fight it just didn't seem like Frankie could do any damage to him and Aldo's takedown defense is second to none.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom