• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ugly 2D vs. Ugly 3D - Which is worse?

Vieo

After that thread I made yesterday, I started thinking about this question. Which is worse? An ugly 3D game or an ugly 2D game? I haven't been able to decide, but I'm leaning towards 3D. :D

EDIT: While I love Hydlide to death, it's my ugly example for 2D.

mainscrn.gif

And the first Tekken is my ugly example for 3D.

20956(2).jpg

blackadde

Ugly 3D. No/terribly blurry filtering, texture shimmering, very low resolution textures that look like horse-shit up close, etc. Plus, you have to worry about bad dynamic camera angles as well.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Currently, Ugly 2D. Why? Because more people (on message boards) will defend Ugly 2D.

Sure the game looks uninspired and aimless with art direction, but but but it's 2D!!!! so it's good!!!!

Plus, it's 2005, so there really shouldn't be any excuse for poorly made 2D.

Ugly 3D by leaps and bounds. 2D simply has less ways in which to be ugly.

To some developers, all that tech does is give them whole new paradigms in which to be hideous.

This will prove true even in the upcoming generation.

belgurdo

Banned
dog$ said:
Currently, Ugly 2D. Why? Because more people (on message boards) will defend Ugly 2D.

Sure the game looks uninspired and aimless with art direction, but but but it's 2D!!!! so it's good!!!!

Lesse.

Bad 2D - Usually terrible art. Possibly slowdown. Occasional sprite-tearing.

Bad 3D - All of the above plus: terrible textures (blurry or pixelated), the mythical so-called "jaggie", warping textures, polygon tearing, "unstable" polys, an absolute disregard for filtering in addition to low framerates.

I'd have to go with 3D. So much more to go wrong.

White Man

Of all the early 3d console games, you pick Tekken as an example of being ugly?

superman64.jpg

This is so ugly it looks like modern art by some malinformed cubist.

Ristamar

ArcadeStickMonk said:
Ugly 3D by leaps and bounds. 2D simply has less ways in which to be ugly.

To some developers, all that tech does is give them whole new paradigms in which to be hideous.

Dragona Akehi said:
Lesse.

Bad 2D - Usually terrible art. Possibly slowdown. Occasional sprite-tearing.

Bad 3D - All of the above plus: terrible textures (blurry or pixelated), the mythical so-called "jaggie", warping textures, polygon tearing, "unstable" polys, an absolute disregard for filtering in addition to low framerates.

I'd have to go with 3D. So much more to go wrong.

Quoted for great justice.

Paladin69

blackadde said:
Ugly 3D. No/terribly blurry filtering, texture shimmering, very low resolution textures that look like horse-shit up close, etc. Plus, you have to worry about bad dynamic camera angles as well.

I'm happy the DS doesn't have the "texture shimmering" at least.

Tain

Yeaaah, that's about right.

Althought, I do have an odd thing for primitive 3D.

i can handle NES/GB games without being distracted by its aged looks.

I can't stand a lot of PS1 games. The 3d era came just a couple years too soon imo and any first generation PS1 game proves that.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
The ultimate ugly is ugly 2D combined with ugly 3D. See Alundra 2 if you want an example and don't mind running the risk of clawing your own eyes out to make it stop.

For 3D it's not a question of how primitive it is - some incredibly primitive 3D games are just fine graphically as far as I'm concerned. Sentinel and Elite spring to mind as examples. What's bad is generally using more advanced 3D features badly, and pushing the hardware beyond the competence of the development team. There are 3D games on 8-bit machines that look infinitely better than ugly 3D on XBox and PS2 games.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Before anyone else points it out, my memory has failed me: the turdular Alundra 2 was actually 'true' 3D through and through. My point stands, though. Games that superimpose hideous sprites on pathetic 3D backgrounds set new heights of ugliness.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
I'm gonna have to go with ugly 3D. 2D ugly or not can stand the test of time better but 3D? Ugh...

Yet another reason I can't play FFVII again.

Date of Lies said:
ugly 3d makes my eyes bleed.

ugly 2d just makes me think of old school.

That sums the whole argument up rather nicely. Basically, it all depends on how long you've been into gaming.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I remember back in 1997 when Tobal #1 was released, lots of mags and people were ragging on it for having such simplistic graphics. Nowadays, that's one of the few PSX 3D games I can stand to look at - its gouraud shaded polygons ran in hi-res and at 60FPS, much better than the grainy, warped, heavily pixellated texture mapped graphics found in most 32bit 3D games (I dare you to try and go back to playing Twisted Metal 2 2 players nowadays).

I'd definitely have to go with ugly 2D on this. Cuz more often than not, the game is still somewhat playable and doesn't have to deal with a subpar frame rate or distracting shimmering.

Ristamar

djtiesto said:
I remember back in 1997 when Tobal #1 was released, lots of mags and people were ragging on it for having such simplistic graphics. Nowadays, that's one of the few PSX 3D games I can stand to look at - its gouraud shaded polygons ran in hi-res and at 60FPS, much better than the grainy, warped, heavily pixellated texture mapped graphics found in most 32bit 3D games (I dare you to try and go back to playing Twisted Metal 2 2 players nowadays).

Truth be told, I wasn't ever able to stomach any incarnation of Twisted Metal multiplayer on the PS. Bleah.

Phoenix

Ugly 3D. Even when 2D is really bad you don't really expect all that much so it looks 'kinda average'. When 3D looks bad - its just painful to the senses.

Top Bottom