• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Boxed Sales | MW3's launch is 25% lower than last year’s MW2 - 72% of sales on PS5, 20% on Xbox and 8% on PS4 (digital will change this though)

yazenov

MW3 is around 25% lower on steam as well, so the trend continues with the UK. Well deserved.

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Could be that more are buying digital, but the game needs to decline if we want them to improve it, 80 euros DLC
LGq1QkA.jpg

Saber

Why "digital will change this though"? Is there any premise that this game sells more on digital or something?

diffusionx

Gold Member
digital data will change this

Why? People always say this but all evidence is that physical and digital sales are highly correlated. The split also matches what is happening in hardware sales.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Why "digital will change this though"? Is there any premise that this game sells more on digital or something?

Both consoles have a digital SKU. Xbox games, specifically, tend to sell a lot more digitally in UK compared to physically (~80% of UK Elden Ring Xbox sales were digital, as a historic example). PS5 also has a sizable DE audience.

Last edited:

Blood Borne

Because ~70% of the UK Is digital? Because ~80% of Xbox sales are digital? Because 99% of PC sales are digital?

Clearly when the digital data is known we will have a clear situation. In these times, data on boxes data is certainly useless.
This is a genuine request. Do you have a source for those percentages?

Well, as happens with all multis, an abysmal difference in sales in favor of PS5, you remove COD from PS and the franchise sinks.

The big question is how would those sales hold up if they start to bring COD to Game Pass Day 1. If they are basically unchanged, that's still a W for Microsoft.

Feed it to their sub-addicted base for "free", have Sony's paypigs subsidize any B2P losses on Xbox and then some buying it in droves on PlayStation platforms. That's probably what MS are counting on.

Because ~70% of the UK Is digital? Because ~80% of Xbox sales are digital? Because 99% of PC sales are digital?

Clearly when the digital data is known we will have a clear situation. In these times, data on boxes data is certainly useless.

Digital ratio averages in UK are higher for PlayStation than Xbox. So on average, the gap would actually get worst for Xbox with digital included 😬

Last edited:

Ronin_7

Well, as happens with all multis, an abysmal difference in sales in favor of PS5, you remove COD from PS and the franchise sinks.
Wonder if Microsoft considered this move.

Removing games for PlayStation can sink a franchise overnight, the splits are incredible dominant.

I'm not sure all those people would change platform 🧐

twilo99

It will be extremely interesting to see what would happen to Sony’s income statement as well if that happened

Last edited:

wipeout364

I am sure digital sales are increased this year. I am not against physical media but buying COD physical would be like buying Fortnite or Apex physical editions. 90% of the game is online, I honestly can’t imagine why physical editions are selling at all for COD.

That said I would not have expected anything to have matched MW2 sales, that was one of the most anticipated COD games since the first MW. MW3 was always going to be the follow up and not the main show.

The next one people need to be watching for is next years BLack Ops 1 remake, that is going to do MW2 numbers again.

yazenov

Total user base matters.

This year's YTD worldwide , the PS5 is estimated to have sold around 14 million as opposed to around 4 million Xbox Series. That's more than 3 to 1.

So based of hardware unit sales and total potential consumers, it's no wonder that the ratio of software sales is overwhelmingly in favor of Playstation.

Last edited:
Digital ratio averages in UK are higher for PlayStation than Xbox. So on average, the gap would actually get worst for Xbox with digital included 😬

o_o no, not even close.

For example, the physical ratio for Elden Ring's copies sold on Xbox was only 15% on release, while on Playstation it was around 50%, basically over 3x times more on average on Playstation consoles.

Kinda obvious since like over half of Xbox consoles sold so far are Series S, and the Xbox user is closer to a PC one, which left Physical copies long ago

Krieger

Guess they have to release thrice the amount of shitty skins to make up for that loss. Or release Black Ops 1 Remake next year with even less dev time than MW3.2 had.

YukiOnna

I still can't believe they repurposed an intended DLC into a "full game" and virtually did nothing different. Honestly, they are lucky Warzone and MP exist.

In sure Chris will release the digital ratio this time, as shooters generally have a decent split on Xbox.

His been flagrantly hiding platform digital splits for other games for months.

So many people in the industry benefit from "console wars."

The day there is no console war, you're going to see a lot of people at the bread lines. FUD around Sony sells right now. Trying to prop up or make excuses for Microsoft sells right now.

For the longest time we've become accustomed to 2, 3, or even 4 competitors in the console space. Sega bowed out, Nintendo pivoted, and it has been Sony and Microsoft for a very long time.

People think that reality gravitates towards the mean, but it doesn't always. When Netflix defeated Blockbuster they really didn't have any competition for YEARS. It wasn't until 2015 did anyone even think the challenge Netflix. Note Netflix launched original content in 2012.

There could be a time when the only viable major 4K console is the PS5

-25% for CoD is a massive miss on such a big franchise….Destiny 2 was down 45% but made far less revenue

I’m sure Microsoft ain’t pleased with this trend

Their 3rd studio is responsible for this game. What I could see is them moving to a non annual cycle and cutting out sledgehammer games.

Killjoy-NL

Those splits in favor of PS5 are crazy.
That's why MS needed to buy Activision.

If they would ever want COD exclusive, or bring GamePass to Playstation, it would require a massive amount of money to compensate for the loss of revenue on Playstation.

Playstation marketshare is just too big, so buying Activision is cheaper long-term.

Last edited:
non annual would cause an even bigger revenue decline

MS paid $70B for annual CoD

Not saying it was a good decision just that annual releases of quality probably aren’t sustainable.

I never thought ABK was worth 70 billion dollars.

Just think about how crazy that is when a game like the last of us costs 200 million to make.

Important to recognize what Chris isn't flat-out saying here. That 20% is XBS and X1... To be barely more than double of PS4... is staggering...

COD still gets XB1 versions released? Not that it'd matter, but I thought almost everyone ditched XB1 versions of games in favor of XBS.

o_o no, not even close.

For example, the physical ratio for Elden Ring's copies sold on Xbox was only 15% on release, while on Playstation it was around 50%, basically over 3x times more on average on Playstation consoles.

Kinda obvious since like over half of Xbox consoles sold so far are Series S, and the Xbox user is closer to a PC one, which left Physical copies long ago

That's what I was saying, think you might've misread my comment 😂

Top Bottom