• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Death Stranding 2nd Biggest Launch of a New IP in 2019, sells 36% less than Days Gone

EDMIX

Days gone came out at an easier time, DS is sandwiched between COD, Star Wars and Pokemon.....

It will sell just fine in the long run. It's more about solidifying the relationship between Kojima Pro and PlayStation. Then we can be guaranteed some crazy shit in the future.

True. I still want to know whats up with that deal and if Sony will buy the team or not. The fact that it states its trademarked by Sony is what blows my mind, yet no buy. Maybe they are waiting after the holidays or when the official PS5 reveal drops next year or something.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
True. I still want to know whats up with that deal and if Sony will buy the team or not. The fact that it states its trademarked by Sony is what blows my mind, yet no buy. Maybe they are waiting after the holidays or when the official PS5 reveal drops next year or something.

They gave them the engine and a good deal of time from their engineers in support roles, but also many lead engineers in direct active roles. They had a lot of people from Guerrilla Games working on DS too... :wow.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Sales are certainly poor in comparison to other PS4 exclusives especially with the amount of push by Sony's marketing and Hideo Kojima at the helm of the project. People were expecting DS to be at least open around MGSV or above 100k with the amount of PS4 install-base in the UK and released in November.

According to Benji for a specific part of the US market

Yeah, completely new IP vs the latest and greatest Big Boss story in a very established franchise... hmm hmmm 🤔.

Enjay

Banned

i don't know, they said the same things about Remedy when Control launched.

JLB

Banned
Wow, it managed to beat Gears 5 sales. I guess people prefer Fedex simulators.

Sure. Lets not count that Gears 5 was released on Gamepass, and on a platform that is nearly 2:1 on UK compared to Xbox. Or even more important, that is a Kojima game and as usual is overhyped elsewhere.
I dont think these are good numbers. DS would have been the #1 by far worldwide.

Kokoloko85

Well Days gone was pretty decent but Death Stranding is another level for me of game. Its really interesting and im enjoying the game ALOT. A slow experience. I really hope this doesnt turn Sony off from letting developers make there game and they carry on releases amazing solo games.
Please let there be a death stranding 2

demigod

Sure. Lets not count that Gears 5 was released on Gamepass, and on a platform that is nearly 2:1 on UK compared to Xbox. Or even more important, that is a Kojima game and as usual is overhyped elsewhere.
I dont think these are good numbers. DS would have been the #1 by far worldwide.

Goodluck beating CoD, which Gears didn’t compete against. Your numbers are wrong, PS4 isn’t 2:1 in UK. New IP vs well known IP and its losing surely says something about that franchise and gamepass.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Gona come back to this thread in january

Gona copy paste some interesting comments here

See how out of place/ funny it looks next year

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Didn't Days Gone flop? That doesn't sound promising.
GNmHvWr.gif

Bkdk

Good news, hopefully there will at least be a turbo mode and an option to turn off the whole cargo management thing with strong mod support. Also a mode where all structures would’ve already been built right at the start to reduce the boredom. I sure wish no more gameplay like this next time.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
HZD and DAYS GONE are a new IP as well.

True and like Days Gone it will likely / hopefully make people eat plenty of crow ;).

Seriously though, not dissimilar and far more oblique concept to sell people than HZD and Days Gone from a concept and genre perspective.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Good news, hopefully there will at least be a turbo mode and an option to turn off the whole cargo management thing with strong mod support. Also a mode where all structures would’ve already been built right at the start to reduce the boredom. I sure wish no more gameplay like this next time.

Fair, but many of the people (I for one) seem to like it because of the elements you would like to have automated. A relaxing, contemplating, and engaging gameplay in a matching setting: I do not want to put it down :).

At first I thought Death Stranding was going to underperform, then when it came out people actually made it sound like the game was more successful then what KojiPro originally expected but in the end it actually performed quite badly despite Sony's gigantic marketing push.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
pc port announcement probably didnt help.

the critics trashing it despite giving it great scores didnt help.

the internet outrage machine didnt help.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I like Death Stranding. I don't know why, but it's relaxing. It is the equivalent to a good read on a stormy Sunday. I can understand not everyone being into it, but I am sure as hell glad I am not everyone.
yes it is a refreshing feeling the game gives me. all the moss and rain is very pleasing. going on these contemplative hikes through such a lush and vivid atmosphere is a very nice experience. personally there is nothing i like more than watching a movie on a rainy day, this game kind of captures that feeling perfectly. very peaceful. (of course, mind the BTs & MULEs).

impressive to see it do so good. i know a lot of that is Kojima's name, but it's also nice to see so many people welcoming to such a radical concept. it is quite the divisive game but clearly it has a lot to offer and people are responding to that, regardless of critical reception.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Death Stranding with another historical moment by disappearing completely in December Chart across the globe.

US
EOcKMxTU4AExnQl

Japan(Biggest sales month)
-20k lol

Germany
EOKi7h3XUAAaix2

Spain
Hd5abDo.jpg

PlayStation Store 2019 ranking
ENtYgiXWkAEPX_9

FLOP!
Why do you hate so much good games?
It is far from flop lol

It is tracking like MGS games tracks.
Enters in the month chartz but not after that.

Last edited:
At first I thought Death Stranding was going to underperform, then when it came out people actually made it sound like the game was more successful then what KojiPro originally expected but in the end it actually performed quite badly despite Sony's gigantic marketing push.

cormack12

Gold Member
I think it's crazy when you see this, then see Days Gone behind in most GOTY lists and just compare them on metacritic. Gives you an insight into those voting on GOTY lists in the first place.

Mikey Jr.

I played it and beat it.

I honestly dont think it was very good. MGS is one of my favourite franchises, and DS was a complete swing and a miss for me.

It starts out fun for sure. You want to deliver all the packages, do the sidequests, get perfect ratings, etc.
But halfway through, I stopped giving a flying fuck. I kept having to go back and forth to places I literally just came from. Climb a mountain, ok now go back down the mountain, ok, now................go back up to that same spot on the mountain!

Fuck you.

And the story "made sense", but it was just complete and utter nonsense. If you want to tell a story like that, build up to it. This game felt like part 3 with the amount of nonsense it was throwing at you.
Thats the genius of MGS. MGS1 was simple to understand for the most part. Then it slowly descended into chaos with each part.
This was just off the wall in part 1.

And the "traveling" across America didn't make sense either. The map is like 4 square miles. How the shit does me walking a mile west all of a sudden have me traveling half way across America. Wut?

I give Kojima a lot of respect for this type of game. A triple A game like this is nearly impossible in this day and age. But yeah, I think the gameplay loop doesn't hold up past 10 hours, and the story was frankly, stupid.

Last edited:
TBF, it's the 3rd installment of an established, popular series that began back in the Gamecube days. Couple that with the Switch's rapidly impressive sales, it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone when it outsold DS.
Did you forget the expectation before it was released?

Many people thought DS will outsell LM3 without much problem.

Enjay

Banned
pc port announcement probably didnt help.

the critics trashing it despite giving it great scores didnt help.

the internet outrage machine didnt help.
The hyperbole from kojima fans and kojima's own words ("i've created a brand new genre!" "my game flies higher than what americans are able to understand[paraphrased]", etc)

meirl

Banned
Death Stranding with another historical moment by disappearing completely in December Chart across the globe.

US
EOcKMxTU4AExnQl

Japan(Biggest sales month)
-20k lol

Germany
EOKi7h3XUAAaix2

Spain
Hd5abDo.jpg

PlayStation Store 2019 ranking
ENtYgiXWkAEPX_9

FLOP!

thats hurts to watch. Ouch. Deserved tho. That game is crap.

TBF, it's the 3rd installment of an established, popular series that began back in the Gamecube days. Couple that with the Switch's rapidly impressive sales, it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone when it outsold DS.

People right here were talking about Death Stranding outselling Pokémon. It was a surprise to plenty of people.

MiguelItUp

From an unbiased perspective, the game is far from crap, and everyone knew it would be divisive, including Kojima himself. There were even interviews where he didn't plan on the game selling blockbuster numbers, it was just something that he created, and wanted to see out. So, to him it really just sounds like a personal goal he accomplished.

I played it and really loved it, but it really didn't take long to realize that it was something that wasn't for everyone. But I'd recommend people at least give it a shot.

Fans of the game and/or Kojima picked up the game ASAP. Players that don't have a PS4, or prefer PC, are probably waiting for a PC launch.

I also think it's pretty important to mention that this was a brand new IP. Just like Days Gone. But, like others have stated, Days Gone showed gun play and zombies for eons. Where Death Stranding kept a lot of that a mystery up until closer to release.

If anyone is going to say anything about a AAA flop I'd honestly think of Gears of War 5 or Shenmue III considering both are known IPs that really should've performed better. I haven't heard anyone I know talk about either, and it's pretty damn upsetting. Especially from the perspective of someone that really loved both IPs back in the day.

Got Days Gone day-1, and it was really rough playing through it. Love it still. I haven't gotten Death Stranding yet. A walking emulator? Sure. Why not?

Are those people even worth mentioning in context?

Pokemon can literally offer you a lobotomy, and the fanatics would like up in droves... maybe that would be a good thing now that I think of it.

Yeah but the point is that acting like Death Stranding selling poorly was a foregone conclusion is misguided. LM3 outselling DS was FAR from a safe bet at the time, it only looks like that in hindsight because LM3 is crazy popular and DS underperformed like a motherfucker.

Top Bottom