• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ukraine calls on PlayStation, Xbox to stop supporting Russian markets

Draugoth

Gold Member

The deputy prime minister of Ukraine has called on video game companies, esports organisations and specifically both PlayStation and Xbox to do more to pile pressure on the Russian regime.

In an open letter published via Twitter today, Ukraine deputy prime minister Mykhailo Fedorov called for support, and for companies to do "everything possible to protect Ukraine, Europe and finally the entire democratic world from bloody authoritarian aggression".

" Xbox Xbox PlayStation PlayStation You are definitely aware of what is happening in Ukraine right now," Fedorov wrote. "Russia declare war not for Ukraine but for all civilized world. If you support human values, you should live [sic] the Russian market!"

The Russian Federation has carried out a deceptive and outrageous military attack on my country!," Fedorov's open letter begins. "Just imagine, in 2022, cruise missiles attack residential neighbourhoods, kindergartens and hospitals in the heart of Europe.

The armed forces and citizens are defending Ukraine till the end! The whole world is repelling the aggressor through the imposition of sanctions - the enemy must suffer significant losses. But we need your support - in 2022, modern technology is perhaps the best answer to the tanks, multiple rocket launchers (hrad) and missiles.

I am sure that you will not only hear, but also do everything to protect Ukraine, Europe and finally, the entire democratic world from bloody authoritarian aggression - and I appeal to temporarily block all Russian and Belarusian accounts, temporarily stop the participation of Russian and Belarusian teams and gamers in all international esports events and cancel all international events holding on the territory of Russia and Belarus. We are sure that such actions will motivate the citizens of Russia to proactively stop the disgraceful military aggression.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Given the wealth of an average Russian citizen, can they even afford these machines and games?
Probably not, but still maybe the rich russian folks have more chance in having an influence anyway, but now I think about it rich folks would just use a VPN.

But taking non essential thinhs from the Russian people because of Putins invasion is still not a bad idea, anything that will deter Putin from war with Ukraine.

Being overthrown or even taken out of power is one of putins biggest fears.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Nintendo HQ rn

1rv3v9.jpg

Shifty1897

Given the wealth of an average Russian citizen, can they even afford these machines and games?
The middle class used to be able to afford a PS4 if they really wanted it. My company had to lay off all Russian employees and close its Moscow office until the sanctions are lifted. I imagine the unemployment rate for what used to be the middle class is sky high right now.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

EVERYONE should stop supporting UK market until they return Malvinas to Argentina. Same rules right?
Lets keep it there, dont want to get banned because politics.

No no no, you’re not allowed to say that. UK is good and Argentina is bad…..

Dont forget Ukraine has made plenty of moves and threats to take Crimea. https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2021/03/20/ukra-m20.html

The fighting didnt start this year, only idiots who watch the news for a day and think they are experts because they repeat what is told

Also Ukraine ”accidently” burned 40+ Russian protesters, there alot of this from both sides

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I dont think banning video games is going to convince Putin to pull out.

It will only hurt ordinary everyday gamers in Russia. Let's face it, gamers are not the kind to rise up against dictators.

There are better ways to sanction Russia. Just freeze Putin's money hidden in offshore accounts.

Aenima

Yeah they shoul do it. Sony already cutted they movies distribution to Russia. Might as well put Russian PSN and games dustribution on hold as well.

Azurro

Banned

You don't travel much, do you? Moscow alone is very expensive to live in, more expensive than Madrid and Copenhagen and like 15 million people live there, so yes, yes they can. It will definitely hurt them, though NVidia and AMD leaving the market would have more of an impact.

EVERYONE should stop supporting UK market until they return Malvinas to Argentina. Same rules right?

That's nowhere near being the same thing.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
I dont think banning video games is going to convince Putin to pull out.

It will only hurt ordinary everyday gamers in Russia. Let's face it, gamers are not the kind to rise up against dictators.

There are better ways to sanction Russia. Just freeze Putin's money hidden in offshore accounts.

Yup, they should go after military leaders and oligarchs

Not Russia - it's one crazy man.
Indeed. We've transitioned from asking companies to censor our domestic rivals to asking companies to cancel our geopolitical enemies.

There's an argument to be made for sanctions, but we're at the point of trying to inflict pain on an entire population which is a moral grey area for sure. If the sanctions actually work, and provoke a change in policy, then maybe it could be argued that they were the lesser of the two evils, and that it's preferable to war. But sanctions don't have a long history of effective results. This will just make lives of ordinary people miserable. Maybe some of them go protest against their government, at great risk to themselves. Or maybe some of them just grow to resent the west and allow Putin a propaganda victory by correctly assigning their misery to his rivals.

ShadowNate

They should do it.
It's yet another step, certainly not a definitive one, to apply pressure on the Russian market.

The goal is to make Russian people protest and overthrow Putin eventually. It's very highly unlikely, but the best case scenario is that they (Russians), themselves, do this.

Last edited:
It sucks for the Russian people, all of these sanctions. I hope that Putin is removed, peacefully, if not, forcefully by the people. Who's trying to stand in bread lines? This isn't the 1960s. We've got more than radios and TVs. If someone took away all of my creature comforts, I'd revolt. I'd probably die like a peasant, but I'd revolt.

Arioco

Please, the UK is NOT currently invading any country nor killing civilians. Whatever the controversy might be you just can go around destroying other people's lives, only self defense could justify something like that. Is it really so hard to understand.

And let me be clear, my own country also claims a territory under sovereignty of the UK (Gibraltar in this case) and I would never embarrass myself by comparing that situation to Ukraine. It's has nothing to do with it, in fact.

But yes, if the UK were bombing and invading Argentina, killing people and threatening the rest of the world with a nuclear war I would say the same I'm saying now about Russia, if that's what you mean. Same rules, indeed.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
DO.IT

And free GamePass, Spartacus to Ukraine

Last edited:

Banned
EVERYONE should stop supporting the Russian market until Russia puts an end to the invasion. What's happening is just crazy.

true. but I mean, if this continues the prices in the Russian stores for these games will skyrocket due to the ridiculous loss of value of their currency, and the market will be basically dead anyways I think

One crazy man they elected. Russian people should be held accountable and pressured until they correct their mistake.
Elected? Everything in Russia belongs to one man - he have every thing to 'win' elections. We are not choose him, none of people I know. We here in shock - I never saw a person who support a war, but here is also up to 20 years in prison for not supporting 'special operation' or say anything publicly against it.
It's Iron Curtain 2.0

Arioco

Not Russia - it's one crazy man.

Yes, I know, but the fact is that crazy man is using the whole Russian Satate to invade other country and kill civilians, while threatening the rest of us with nuclear weapons, and the only option we have left is let Russia know in a peaceful way that we don't support that behavior and that it has consequences for them too.

I have nothing against Russian people so if someone from Russia is reading me I want to make clear I intend no offense to them, but what's happening is just unacceptable and we can not and should not tolerate it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom