• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultima Online: Ever played it? Want to again?

Let's talk about and maybe play Ultima Online, the best (IMO) MMO ever made. For reference, this post mainly concerns with a free shard based around 2000 "era" UO, Ultima Online Renaissance (http://www.uorenaissance.com/). Look at the bottom for good links/resources. This shard is based around UOR before Trammel with a few neat additions (Ancient Message In Bottles, Champion spawns, etc), so special hit (stun, paralyzing blow, etc) are in.

qsX0EFc.jpg

• [*]What is UO?

Ultima Online is an MMORPG released in the 1990s. It features a top down perspective similar to that of Diablo.
    02cWVX4.jpg

UO is skill based character development with a freedom of interaction most MMOs don't come near, at least as far as my experience is concerned. There are no PVP arenas (well, there are, but that isn't where PVP is exclusive to), there are very few safety nets (carry it if you want to risk losing it - in UO you drop what's on you when you die), but the experience is engaging and rewarding. Most of all, I think it's a ton of fun.

The experience takes place primarily in the world of Britannia which features various cities and few terrain types as well as about 8 dungeons of differing sorts.

Sasj0Go.jpg

[*]How does it play/work?

The player is controlled with the mouse. Right click being held down in a given direction causes your character to move, either at walking or running pace. The left mouse button interacts with objects in the world, such as your backpack, items on the ground, enemies, or what have you.

PsNkRhr.jpg

Here you can see the paperdoll (alt+p or double clicking on your character). This is your "equipment" screen. If I use the mouse to drag the wand that is visible in my backpack to the left (main pack, accessed by bringing up paperdoll and clicking the backpack icon at your feet, or alt+i) to the paperdoll, my character would equip the item and it'd be visually represented. You can also see a secondary pouch in my pack is also open, inventory in UO is a bit unlike other MMOs. You can place items anywhere in the pack and they sit - there are no boxes to allocate a location of an item. There are limits to how much containers can hold and each individual item has its own weight to be considered, so you can only carry so much. The small icons scattered about are spell hotbuttons, more on that later. The greyed out named boxes are skill hotbuttons, more on that later. You can also see the mini map pulled up (alt+r, press again to increase size). I will detail more mechanics as we proceed.

[*]Are there classes? What can I be?

Ultima Online features a level-less system, therefore there is no grind in that sense, but it is skill based in that usage of skills offers chances to increase those skills.

7ASdCBk.jpg

Here for sake of example I've equipped a dagger and engaged a pig at the Moonglow (an island city) stables. I don't have any fencing skill so it's raising quickly as I fight the pig. You can see my dagger equipped and I've switched to combat mode (alt+c or hold tab) and attacked (double clicking aggros a player/monster/creature). You can use a variety of skills (swords, fencing, macing, archery) and an even larger variety of weapons (halberd, katana, kryss, long spear, quarter staves, war hammers, heavy crossbows, and much more) to engage against players or monsters/creatures.

Long story short, you can be a crafter (Blacksmithy, Tailoring, Carpentry), a warrior, a mage, a fisherman (players may purchase boats and sail the ocean and fish for fun or treasure), lumberjack, or any combination thereof. Be a warrior and face enemies head on, be a mage and do the same or summon creatures to do the dirty work, or even a bard using music to cause creatures to assault each other for your gain! Buy a house (yes, about twenty different varieties of player homes are available to purchase and place in the game world - you'll certainly see other player's homes as you explore) and keep your treasure there or make it public and place some NPC vendors there to sell your dungeon looted (or crafted) goods to the public, for a price. Create a guild, join a guild!

9uiVohr.jpg

Here I've used my bard skills on my Tamer/Bard to cause some of these enemies to attack one another while I've also summoned blade spirits with Magery to help me make quick work of them to fatten my gold purse.

PhgeXU8.jpg

Here my Tamer/Bard uses tamed Dragons to fight minions of Cupid in the recent Holiday even for Valentine's Day (a special champion spawn). But it doesn't always go so easily...

mVSxinh.jpg

While trying to tame a White Wyrm I was easily dispatched in a moment of foolishness in the Ice Dungeon.

UO features three different primary stats, Strength, Dexterity, and Intelligence. Any stat can be no lower than 10, but no higher than 100. The total amount of stat points one can ever attain is 225 total (100 STR, 100 INT, 25 DEX, for example, but in any numerical amount you see fit in the end). To a small extent the effect skills.

• Stats

Strength determines how much you can carry as well as a bonus modifier to damage in melee attacks. Finally, Strength determines your HP as well.

Dexterity determines how fast one can do certain actions as well as player stamina. For example, a warrior with 100 Dex will hit an awful lot faster than warrior with 10 Dex. If using the Healing skill (which is applying cloth bandages to yourself or others to restore HP), Dex determines how long the application time is. Further, heavier types of armor, such as plate mail require a certain amount of Dex to equip, as the heavier the armor that one equips, the lower your active Dex is for things such as combat (IE say a plate chest piece "takes" your Dex down from 100 to 90, your Dex is still 100, but for combat purposes it's 90 equivalent for things like swing speed). Dexterity determines stamina 1:1.

Intelligence determines your mana pool in a formula of 1:1. For a skill like Mediation (which reduces s mana regeneration time) in addition to checking your Meditation skill level also functions most optimally at 100 Intelligence (though 100 Int is not required for the use of Meditation skill, simply an added factor in calculation of effectiveness for the skill).

BWKKhIq.jpg

Here we can see our stat screen (alt+s). It displays your primary stats and other relevant information. I have 100 STR, 24 DEX, and 100 INT on this particular character, so I have 224 total stat points, but since I'm maxed in STR and INT, it can only go into Dexterity.

AR refers to "armor". If you look at the earlier screenshot with my paper doll, under my clothes and on my sleeves you can see I'm wearing leather armor. My AR is 21 because of what I've equipped. It's important to note that this character has the Magery skill and to use the very important companion skill, Meditation, you can't wear heavy armor. You CAN, but you can't get the active or passive Meditation bonuses of mana regeneration if you do. Leather armor can be Meditated in passively and actively.

The others are self explanatory, but weight. Weight is determined by what's on your person. All of the items I've equipped or have in my pack have individual weights, and I'm at 193/390. This leaves a lot of room to pick up gold, items I might find, or anything else.
  • Skills

There are an awful lot of skills in Ultima Online, so a picture does better service.

9Fr2TxC.jpg

1Rb5pGx.jpg

A lot to choose from! UO does have a skill cap, however. No matter what skills you choose, you can only acquire 700 total skill points. Skills can rise from 0 to 100, so this can be 7 skills at 100 or any combination otherwise. You can decide to raise other skills any time even if you're at the cap by changing the arrow next to the skill. If the arrow is up, the skill can raise ( assuming you aren't at the skill cap), if it's locked, it stays put, if it's down it can only go down (for example, if another skill were to gain that is pointed up while you're skill capped).

[*]PVM

A variety of PvM conditions exist in UO from the standard slaying of a pig in the stables illustrated earlier to graveyards, dungeons, holiday events, and even champion spawns. Attackable creatures/enemies range from cows, bulls, deer, bears, to liches, demons, dragons, gazers, reapers, and much more. Sometimes certain monsters can be carved (their corpses) for their hides/leather (used for tailoring, or to sell to players who do tailor) or meat (to feed to your pets or for cooking).

[*]PVP

Oh yes, there's PvP, a spot where UO shines.

uv5PGem.jpg

Players are able to attack one another anywhere, though inside most towns is a guarded region in which one simply needs to call for "guards" to be protected, assuming you are not flagged as a criminal. Doing a negative act, such as looting an innocent (blue hued) corpse, attacking a player, stealing (oh yes, a fully functional stealing skill is featured in UO - most items can be flat out stolen from other players with appropriate skill, a fun template), or various other such things flag you as a criminal, or "grey". Clicking on yourself once will display your name and your flag (depending on what color your name is). Blue is innocent, or default. Grey is criminal (which lasts about two minutes from the last negative action - in this time you are freely attackable by anyone without penalty). Red is murderer and is a more permanent condition. Upon murdering a player they can report your murder or not. After 5 murder counts (though these wear off over game time) you become "red". You can no longer enter guarded towns and are also freely attackable by anyone. Like being grey, you cannot give a murder count if you are attacked while red. Beware of murderers, but don't fret death too much - it's part of the game.

Here are a couple of relevant videos of tank mages doing battle on an IPY3 Beta shard for a taste of some of the more advanced PVP encounters and what you could expect.

Archer Mage - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt6z7idJ0Wk
    Mace Mage - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPyvitki-HE
    Fencer Mage - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9519ofH7-4

• Death

Upon death by any means, you'll be in greyscale vision and a ghost. No one will be capable of understanding what you're typing (it will appear as OoooOoOoo) unless the player is skilled and activates Spirit Speak (a skill). You must find a healer, either a wandering one or one in a town, or find a player with sufficient Healing/Anatomy skill or Magery to be resurrected upon death. There is no skill or stat penalty (unless you're red), but you do lose all items on your corpse unless they are items you started with or have somehow been blessed (a higher tier tailoring reward).

[*]Macros

Will try to fill this out later, hands are about to fall off.

[*]I Want To Play!

To play (I'll play with you!) on the server I'm advocating and playing on, here are some crucial links.

The client download: http://www.uorenaissance.com/?page=m_download

Here you can get the client and Razor, a fantastic assistant program for you to have some advanced options and advanced macros (not necessary to learn to use this right away, but a fantastic tool and is required for connection I believe). There are also installation guides and tips. If you do decide to start on UOR and play, but aren't familiar or don't remember things that clearly, I'd recommend starting in Occlo, there's a clever and well done starting area with NPCs that provide fundamental information about some of the interaction and skills.

Connection guide: http://www.uorenaissance.com/?page=m_connecting

How to use Razor, details: http://www.uorenaissance.com/info/?page=info_catlist&ptype=Razor

Getting started guides: http://www.uorenaissance.com/info/?page=info_catlist&ptype=GettingStarted

Forums for UOR: UOforum.com

A fantastic post on new players and introduction to the game: http://uorforum.com/threads/new-to-ultima-online-start-here.3182/

UOR IRC, great for trading or associating with other players out of game: http://www.uorenaissance.com/irc

UOR aside, a more hardcore shard will be launching this month called "An Corp" a bit more of an earlier era than UOR (IE: Around T2A) and no mounts (no horses, llamas, etc to ride for more PVP balance) which I'll also be playing - the website is http://www.uoancorp.com (Teaser Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv-yjiuDSXc, old IPY 3 trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDuc-9EcQlE ) This shard will be really fantastic, I've played beta. There is a feature called "portals" where you can build your own custom mini dungeons with fantastic user friendly tools, then they appear randomly in other dungeons and can be rated and ranked by users playing them. Plus achievements have been added, further the arena system is the best I've ever seen - custom duels with choice of era for ruleset. Amazing. This is mostly based around UO of '99 with a lot less UOR stuff. For reference, this is spiritual sequel to In Por Ylem 3 that wasn't completed due to Az (of Wtfman.com) stepping down. Same code.

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with UOR or UOAC. I just play a game I've loved since 1998. So, let's talk about Ultima Online! If you're playing, discuss here! If you're just chatting, chat here! Have you played UO?

jblank83

I was in the Alpha, raiding the orc fort, finding flame swords, getting a cape.
I was in the Beta. I was there when Lord British was killed.
Bought it day 1, played it many many hours.

Great game, the first truly big MMORPG, though there were others before it. In many ways, a more interesting game than EQ and WoW, with more interesting ideas about how to create an RPG world. Setting up my house in the wilderness, hauling ore back to my forge, smelting armor, selling it in town, setting up a vendor, sailing the seas, teleporting to the top of the bank, engaging in quests, both official and community run, intuiting the monster spawn formulas, figuring out the excellent Stat <--> Skill mechanics, an RPG system that remains one of the best ever created, hunting wildlife for meat. Great stuff.

Nicko

Holy smokes! Fantastic thread OP! Ultima Online was truly an amazing game that helped me grow out of my shell as a young kid and join in community. Had so much playing with friends, and OH how the PKs scared the snot out of me. I've been feeling super nostalgic about UO, and EQ for that matter, the two MMOs I played. Had to give up MMOs after that, due to school, swimming, life in general, etc.

I definitely agree though that UO was the best ever. Would love to play again someday.

I've got all the songs stuck in my head.. Listening to them brings back so many memories of adventure and excitement.

yeah I played from launch all the way to a bit after Trammel killed the game. The master locksmiths being able to break into houses for a bit, the first moment the black dye tub was haxed and people wanted hundreds of thousands of gold for one. The wicked clowns jumping into my house from the river due to a bug and stealing months of collections.

Finding the Seer and going on an epic quest with him which in the end had rewarded with an Orange heavy xbow of vanquishing I could not lose. Being involved with the GMS in training Minux live in game to become a grandmaster Mage. When she turned grandmaster she became what she was meant to become and created the Trammel storyline.

So many memories. I remember being completely entralled all through my middle school years. The wars at the crossroads. The PK hunts. The Order vs Chaos wars in town. The thieves all over Britain. The insane land rush when houses first dropped.

Yelling into the sky " THIS IS ALL YE GOT! " into the sky after an Ogre invasion of Trinsic event, only to have 3 ogre Lords spawn right next to me lmao. Hunting Drakes all day. Hunting Balrogs. Running from Hell Hounds. Being haunted in my sleep by the laughter of the Lich Lords.

Ultima Online. Possibly ..... Very likely the greatest gaming experience I will ever have. Was perfection. Even with the lag and the bugs

This was one hell of a first experience when it came to MMOs for me. And honestly, I still miss the game in general. Will definitely give this a shot and such when my backlog is a bit more toned down.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
you cant place your house here
GOD FUCKING LET ME PUT MY HOUSE SOMEWHERE

nasero

Love it, played from 1997 until Third Dawn. Ran my own server for many years and met tons of people through that as well.

UO will always have a special place in my heart as one of the best PC games I've ever played.

I was such a little shit when I played this game at like 13-17 years of age.
I used to overload treasure chests and "drop" them on bridges where they couldn't be dropped (by cutting apart a corpse so it fell out) so if anyone came by and picked it up they couldn't move or drop it from their inventory. I could just kill them at my leisure, take all their stuff.... and cut it back out of their body.
Looted so many people's homes... these were often multi-hour affairs of dragging people's treasure chests through portals.
I would let monsters into people's box forts so I could loot them... even after they put in real penalties for murdering people my characters were more often "murderer" than not.
I would portal all kinds of spell casting mobs into my houses to use them for magic resist... until some gm got tired of coming by to delete all my elementals that lagged up the area and changed my house sign to say "If I have to come out here again I'm gonna ban you" or something to that effect.
At one point my guild attempted to tax the server... that is to say if there were player hosted events, we came and demanded tribute. But what really happened is it was too much for the servers, the lag was unbearable and the damned things crashed and time warped repeatedly. We mostly killed a lot more than were killed though.
It really was the best mmo.

Love hearing all the experiences. Been in every one of your shoes !

Truly my favorite game of all time. I also quit when Trammel came, but have been loving some free servers off and on for the past ten years. There have been some really fantastic ones, including one with a custom map (Rel Por).

I could write an entire book on UO experiences, it was a really rich time in terms of gameplay for me. Best two years of gaming I've ever had and I've been wanting that same draw from an MMO ever since, which is why I keep coming back.

Adrelariel

Neo Member
Still the greatest mmo in my mind, been going back regularly every year to fiddle about a bit and get a nostalgia trip.

Wish more developers would learn from the skill system UO had and did something similar, like how you could be a bard or a tamer or just a crafter.

EDIT: Best experience i can remember was filling a crafting house with walruses and one guy actually died to them due to not having any combat skills

At one point my guild attempted to tax the server... that is to say if there were player hosted events, we came and demanded tribute
It really was the best mmo.

Funny, on UOR there's a group that wants "permits" for this paticular area people are trying to AFK gain Taming (and supposed immunity from a few PK "groups"). They somehow found my house and asked for a permit. Of course I told them to stuff it and my house was camped for a day or two with them trying to kill me (unsuccessfully). Love it.

KePoW

Banned
I got in the alpha because I was going to UT-Austin at the time, and that's where Origin/Lord British is based.

Needless to say, I loved it and played a long time in multiple stints. Other MMOs can't really create the memories that UO had.

One thing though, it had by far the most exploits of any MMO I can think of. Buggy as hell. I suppose that was part of the charm, and I certainly took advantage of many exploits.

Its time is past now... no way I could play it again.

Coldsun

Banned
I got in the alpha because I was going to UT-Austin at the time, and that's where Origin/Lord British is based.

Needless to say, I loved it and played a long time in multiple stints. Other MMOs can't really create the memories that UO had.

One thing though, it had by far the most exploits of any MMO I can think of. Buggy as hell. I suppose that was part of the charm, and I certainly took advantage of many exploits.

Its time is past now... no way I could play it again.

I actually ran the UOShack bug website, was an updater for MarkeeDragon, etc. You're definitely right that the amount of exploits for the game was insane. :D

Gazoinks

Huh, I didn't know UO had free shards. I've always been vaguely interested in trying it out, so I'll give this a go sometime.

Huh, I didn't know UO had free shards. I've always been vaguely interested in trying it out, so I'll give this a go sometime.

Since early 2000s at least! A lot of disenfranchised players after Trammel needed somewhere to go. There's a pretty decent hardcore community, sadly they're spread through a few major freeshards that represent different eras (the big difference being more/less/no Trammel elements). The emulation is literally perfect and completely customized in some cases. The population is not as massive, but on the more populated free shards that have active community, there's no problem running into people and ending up with fight or friend.

I'd probably have an account with OSI (Or EA, or whoever owns the game now) if they had a "classic shard".

Hoax

Neo Member
I never played the official servers, only free shards. It was beautiful.. The best mmo experience i've ever had for sure! PVP in this game is just insane (although I think the pvp on free shards was different from the official servers). It came down to knowing timings of spells, mouse accuracy and skill which is rare in mmo's. If you were good at it you could make a new character and actually win from proper geared/'levelled' characters. This concept could improve any mmo! And of course being able to loot made things a lot more interesting as well!

Wonder if any of the people who played free shards remember any of these ones:

Wireplay Lothlorien, Arcodia, Cecilles arenas, Santiago pvp?

These are all dead by now as far as i know but would be funny to talk to some old players from those shards.

PS, anyone knows of a game that has the same pvp system? I would throw money at that, it doesn't even have to be an mmo.

Magitex

UO really has had its share of ups and downs. Trammel, urgh. Publish 16, yay.

Fondest memories really go back to when Ultima wasn't so farmed out and a blacksmith played a blacksmith and nothing else.
It seems impossible to emulate that sort of lifestyle/economy in modern MMOs, as players now can survive without relying on each other at all.
I would've never guessed MMOs would regress so far from UOs original formula.. but even OSI itself really did a number on it trying to catch the mainstream crowd.

Unlike the majority of older MMOs, UO still holds up today for both gameplay and aesthetics. Praise be to 2D!

A month or two ago, I got so nostalgic that I put a coop server together for UO (using RunUO + every good modification I could find to throw in) and it was a blast!
I have to say I really like playing UO as if it was Diablo, and there's just so much content now.
Unfortunately I still haven't fully finished the server.. much feature creep.

List of features:
http://pastebin.com/uuPxLDK6

I think I threw away a month doing that, but it was fun to work on.
Especially getting the ships and cannons working. Bit disappointed OSI never did much for boats until really late in Ultima's life. Sinking pirate ships is pretty cool!

I'm sure someday we will get an equal to Ultima online, perhaps when people tire of the theme park nature of todays MMO.

tehPete

Banned
A friend got me into UO; I didn't play for long (probably only 1-200 or so hours), but had a blast in that time :) I may have to pop my head in just to soak up the nostalgia!

Kal Vas Flam, bitches :D

I played it a bunch when it first came out but after awhile, it got too trollish and really got tired of it. Probably the most time I spent in an MMO.

Commodore

Came in to hear tales from UO days, left appeased. God, nothing has ever matched UO's wild west experience and the genuine communities that formed because of it.

Pacific shard, Skara Brae community. Never forget those cast of characters.

Wotanik

Banned
Yes! My first MMO, such fond memories from this one. And then we moved to a private shard and had even more fun. Great game. At one point there were some rumors about a new UO. Does anyone know about that?

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Is there any point in starting now? There are people that have been playing this for over a decade, surely they are all maxed out and have all the things?

Yes! My first MMO, such fond memories from this one. And then we moved to a private shard and had even more fun. Great game. At one point there were some rumors about a new UO. Does anyone know about that?
There was a UO2 in development during the early aughts, got canceled. Then Ultima X which was also going to be an MMO, but that too kicked the bucket.

UO2 was going to look like this. The idea of a fully polygonal UO at the time was a mindblowing concept to me, and poring over the PC Gamer footage had me so hyped for the possibilities.

imEMLmmZnHhDB.jpg

Ultima X took to the kind of squatty Fable look.

Bizazedo

Lake Superior, Guardian's Chosen guild. Later joined the parent guild proper, The Cabal. Moved on to the hardcore Siege Perilous shard that they tried.

Brilliant game, was ashame it was plagued by so many bugs. We'll never get anything like it again, though, at least on such a scale. People don't like to lose, so....

UO really has had its share of ups and downs. Trammel, urgh. Publish 16, yay.

Fondest memories really go back to when Ultima wasn't so farmed out and a blacksmith played a blacksmith and nothing else.
It seems impossible to emulate that sort of lifestyle/economy in modern MMOs, as players now can survive without relying on each other at all.
I would've never guessed MMOs would regress so far from UOs original formula.. but even OSI itself really did a number on it trying to catch the mainstream crowd.

Unlike the majority of older MMOs, UO still holds up today for both gameplay and aesthetics. Praise be to 2D!

A month or two ago, I got so nostalgic that I put a coop server together for UO (using RunUO + every good modification I could find to throw in) and it was a blast!
I have to say I really like playing UO as if it was Diablo, and there's just so much content now.
Unfortunately I still haven't fully finished the server.. much feature creep.

List of features:
http://pastebin.com/uuPxLDK6

I think I threw away a month doing that, but it was fun to work on.
Especially getting the ships and cannons working. Bit disappointed OSI never did much for boats until really late in Ultima's life. Sinking pirate ships is pretty cool!

I'm sure someday we will get an equal to Ultima online, perhaps when people tire of the theme park nature of todays MMO.

I agree that boats and the ocean needed a bit of work. They could have been a lot more and the high seas stuff was way past my time so I've only been able to tinker with it a bit on free shards. I tried OSI but couldn't get into the ton of new expansion areas, weird mounts, wild colors, and other odd things that are in the game now. This is kind of why I like UOR, they've added new things that don't stand out too sorely (like instead of just MiBs, you can fish up Ancient MiBs, which are mini dungeons you can access with them, like Pirate Coves and whatnot that have enemies and bosses). I'd still like to see features like you have, roaming pirates in larger amounts and whatnot or spawning pirate fleets similar to the way ratmen and whatnot spawn on the overworld with a captured noble.

It does look like you've put a bit of work into it. I used to use Sphere emulation in the old days and put a good deal of work into my own for some friends and I to play after OSI.

I notice some of your alterations are focused on the lower player base of free shards, this makes me think of the free shard "Rel Por" which had a completely custom map:

98t02hE.jpg

It was really a great idea and a fun time.

Wonder if any of the people who played free shards remember any of these ones:

Wireplay Lothlorien, Arcodia, Cecilles arenas, Santiago pvp?

Sadly I've not heard of them, most of the shards I played focused on old school UO or close, I can name at least half a dozen. In Por Ylem, IPY2, Novus Opiate, Hybrid, Divinity, Second Age, Rel Por, now UOR and An Corp. It has been fun.

I played Lake Superior on the OSI shards, what fun it was.

nynt9

UO is the best MMO ever made to me. I'm seriously considering going back to it, but the time commitment is daunting.

Somnia

Not a real sequel, but go look up Shroud of the Avatar.

UO2 was being worked on way back when, but they scrapped it to focus on UO, kind of like Turbine did with Asheron's Call. Nothing new that I know of. Garriot is working on a game called "Shroud of the Avatar" - he's even been logging onto the bigger free shards as Lord British and holding events within them at his castle in Britan to promote the game (which is pretty damn cool 15 years later).

The only MMORPG I would have loved to play. Pity I didn't have internet at that time.

When I first started UO, I was on a P120 (requirements for game were 133), plus 8 megs of ram on a 28.8k modem. But I'd be damned if I wasn't playing that game, just had to stay away from West Brit Bank.

Is there any point in starting now? There are people that have been playing this for over a decade, surely they are all maxed out and have all the things?

Well, if you played official servers, yes, but free shards have only been around for so long depending on the shard - UOR is a little over a year old I think for example. You still find a variety of players (hardcore with maxed out characters and keeps, people with few skills and a small house, people who are new and don't know as much with no home). An Corp on the other hand launches this weekend so everyone will be fresh.

The main problem you' run into is sheer knowledge of game mechanics. A lot of freeshard players -are- experts and do things quickly or efficiently. Granted you can almost always find a helping hand.

But something to think about - UO isn't item based per se like a lot of other MMOs. After a couple of weeks (if you know what you're doing, less), you can be on even footing or at least hold you own in UO. There are no level 80 maxed characters that take a month or two of grinding levels.

I never actually played this on official shards, I bought T2A just to use on some GSPs in the UK, played on MPZ.uo, Deus Ovis, Lothlorien shards.

Probably the best MMO that ever was and ever will be, I loved that you didn't just have to do quests or kill things to make a living, I remember lumberjacking for hours at a time just so I could macro the skills required to make houses and furniture.

On one of the shards I found a bug whereby they created a stone that allowed you to sell house deeds and someone had screwed up the maths whereby it give you twice the amount it should be so I spent days in the early hours when admins weren't on buying from the vendor and instantly selling them back to make millions of gold.

I had the biggest house on the shard with all the rares I could buy.

On another shard you could imbue items with gems, I was a GM Archer and I had an Elven bow of mana dump and flamestrike that would take the mana of the enemy I hit and do half the total points of damage back plus 50hp damage flamestrike and because it was Elven bow and I was GM it fired like a machine gun.

Good times.

I think UO was the only game that had a majority of the population, in the beginning, role-play as much as possible. Was amazing while to walk around town and hear people talking in old english styles with Ye and Hail and whatnot. Then reading the cries of the Town Crier about " Hear Ye Hear Ye! Trouble in Trinsic! " Such like that.

I loved watching thieves go to work around town. I loved knowing the moment you walked outside of town you were simply not safe anymore. It gave you serious anxiety to walk outside of the relative safety of the city walls. It was like a true to life world, where within town you were safe and the community congregated, played music and had a general good time. Told stories of their exploits in the pubs, crafted together and just chatted about the world.

But the moment you stepped foot outside of the city guard boundaries, it was ruthless. You had murderers and thieves trying their best to make as much profit off your corpse as possible. Then you had the epic feel of building your first home and decorating it, throwing down your treasure chests and building your Thrones and whatnot. The sheer amount of variety you saw in the interior decorating was staggering to me, and still is to this day. I did go back and play post trammel, forget which expansion pack it was .. but it was pretty cool. Seeing all the changes to the game was pretty daunting.

The one bad thing I did in UO was figured out a way to get to 100 Dexterity / 100 strength in a single night by using a macro program to swing at a training dummy over and over lol. I would just put something on top of the repeat button and wake up the next morning to a fresh 100 / 100 / 25 character ready to go.

I loved UO. No MMO since has been able to recreate the experience of UO into the Second Age.

Shame they split the world with Renaissance and practically killed the game. Sorta faded out after that. =/

I think UO was the only game that had a majority of the population, in the beginning, role-play as much as possible. Was amazing while to walk around town and hear people talking in old english styles with Ye and Hail and whatnot. Then reading the cries of the Town Crier about " Hear Ye Hear Ye! Trouble in Trinsic! " Such like that.

I loved watching thieves go to work around town. I loved knowing the moment you walked outside of town you were simply not safe anymore. It gave you serious anxiety to walk outside of the relative safety of the city walls. It was like a true to life world, where within town you were safe and the community congregated, played music and had a general good time. Told stories of their exploits in the pubs, crafted together and just chatted about the world.

But the moment you stepped foot outside of the city guard boundaries, it was ruthless. You had murderers and thieves trying their best to make as much profit off your corpse as possible. Then you had the epic feel of building your first home and decorating it, throwing down your treasure chests and building your Thrones and whatnot. The sheer amount of variety you saw in the interior decorating was staggering to me, and still is to this day. I did go back and play post trammel, forget which expansion pack it was .. but it was pretty cool. Seeing all the changes to the game was pretty daunting.

This is what I liked most about that time. There was no "safe" time to go off into the dungeon or wild. You could try to choose less popular areas, but nothing like the hunt or being hunted by a human, the ultimate prey in UO. I was SUPER happy when I placed my first house right outside Moonglow, about two sceens south of the Inn. Housing space was really slim by the time I had scrounged enough gold up to place one.
The one bad thing I did in UO was figured out a way to get to 100 Dexterity / 100 strength in a single night by using a macro program to swing at a training dummy over and over lol. I would just put something on top of the repeat button and wake up the next morning to a fresh 100 / 100 / 25 character ready to go.

I remember in the late 90s I would try to macro spirit speak by taping the macro key down all night. I'd be irritated when waking up that tape would have come off sometime into it! Damn scotch tape!

I loved UO. No MMO since has been able to recreate the experience of UO into the Second Age.

Shame they split the world with Renaissance and practically killed the game. Sorta faded out after that. =/

Trammel was the biggest mistake ever! Derp, let's split the player base!1! I agree, having started before The Second Age and playing until Trammel came, I can't say how true this is.

A friend of mine got me into UO and I played it over a horrible AoL connection.

I don't understand why it's so hard for a developer to make a truly open-ended MMORPG like UO.

1. Player housing in the actual world anywhere you want.
2. Open PvP with player looting and game-wide consequences.
3. A pretty wide-open customizable class/build system.

These days:

1. Everyone is afraid of putting players in a PvP situation without their consent.
2. Nobody wants to risk losing their "stuff" if killed.
3. Developers are afraid players will overrun the game world with housing if they don't make it an instance.

I miss the early days of MMOs.

Mr Git

UO was the first MMO I fell in love with, and probably the only one I spent years playing. I still consider aspects like housing, and ships (being able to steal other player's ships) to be a point of comparison when hearing about a new MMO. I remember being in a bounty hunting guild for a while, going to Felucca to track down player murderers. I played around 1998 I think, and housing space was sparse, wasn't uncommon to find a decaying fort and wait, watching as others appeared clutching house deeds. Good times, fond memories. I still have my boxed copies of UO and Renaissance, pretty good manuals.

Top Bottom