• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultima Online: Ever played it? Want to again?

Zona

UO proper was before my time but I recall having great fun on the Metropolis freeshard around probably 2004. Hell I think I admined for it at one point.

Somnia

While Everquest was amazing and I played it for 6 years, Ultima Online will always be my favorite MMO. So many great memories and friendships built in that game that I still have to this day. Despite being American I switched from Cats to Europa server when it launched. Use to love the roleplaying town on that server.

I am super hyped for Shroud of the Avatar, I know its not pure MMO per say, but it'll be the closest we have to a UO sequel.

so how many people are actually playing this?

Do you mean the UOR server?

http://www.uorenaissance.com/?page=m_serverstatus

Second graph is lifetime (since launch last year early). They do allow 3 clients per user, but not necessarily all of them are logged in. I multi client a lot, but right now for example only one is logged in. So lately near 500, but it has had some impressive slow growth. Though some "online" are definitely afk or macroing.

I have to say, since I linked it, the site has the most impressive UO database I've seen. You can look up any creature and find info (barding difficulty, stats, etc), how many items of a certain type exist on the server, and so on).

Unmoses

I was in the Alpha, raiding the orc fort, finding flame swords, getting a cape.
I was in the Beta. I was there when Lord British was killed.
Bought it day 1, played it many many hours.

Great game, the first truly big MMORPG, though there were others before it. In many ways, a more interesting game than EQ and WoW, with more interesting ideas about how to create an RPG world. Setting up my house in the wilderness, hauling ore back to my forge, smelting armor, selling it in town, setting up a vendor, sailing the seas, teleporting to the top of the bank, engaging in quests, both official and community run, intuiting the monster spawn formulas, figuring out the excellent Stat <--> Skill mechanics, an RPG system that remains one of the best ever created, hunting wildlife for meat. Great stuff.

I was there when british was killed as well in the beta.. That was ridiculous.. I remember the first time I ever got pk'ed leaving the dungeon by trinsic (name escapes me) and being so angry I lost everything lol.. I actually fired it up a few months ago I think it's called uosecond age or something to try it.. holy crap I forgot just about everything ;)

Played for a few weeks, loved it. Then I was offline for a couple of days, returned and pretty much every square foot of the desert northeast of Britain that had been desolate was covered with housing. Housing ruined that game for me, killed the feeling of this vast, dangerous wilderness.

I was playing UO Beta off an AOL account (56k modem). I thought it was the best thing I have ever played. I used to really dig U7 Serpent Isle.

Unfortunately, I went to college shortly after that so... there went my money.

Played for a few weeks, loved it. Then I was offline for a couple of days, returned and pretty much every square foot of the desert northeast of Britain that had been desolate was covered with housing. Housing ruined that game for me, killed the feeling of this vast, dangerous wilderness.

One of the best features of UO is housing where you want it (within certain parameters). But I absolutely understand this complaint.

Really macroing hitting a training dummy was "bad"? Me and my friends would set up elaborate macros to bandage ourselves while getting nuked by trapped npcs all night long for magic resist, or meleeing each other with tons of crappy weapons while someone else bandaged us for tactics and such, or casting hundreds of spells on crystal balls to raise magery. Practically all my characters were 7x gm murderers almost... my char who made exploding chests had just a ridiculous murder count and never left my house. If you tried to look for my reagents with the thievery stuff there was a good chance you were exploding, if you managed to kill me and took my stuff, again good chance you were exploding unless you had good self control.

I played on great lakes... was in a RP guild for about 2 months at the very start when I was 13, but quickly went dread lord, before the murderer stuff was put in.

Used to enjoy going around on ships to find all the mining macroers, you had to carry 2 of every kind of ore so that you could drop a little stack on their boat and long range combine their stack into yours. Good times. Also occasionally people were foolish enough to lower the planks on their boats and you could long range board them, then you had 2 boats! (I usually did this with a friend because it was a hassle moving all that ore back to a house or something afterwards need a little protection while lift dropping 92592295 stones of encumbrance.) Though once one of our boats got stuck and the GM made us give back a boat to the ghost that was whining :(
He let us keep the dude's ore though.

Incidentally I never had much problem placing my houses, but I got in early. Had a tower, 2 large forges, and several single room houses.

jblank83

I was there when british was killed as well in the beta.. That was ridiculous.. I remember the first time I ever got pk'ed leaving the dungeon by trinsic (name escapes me) and being so angry I lost everything lol.. I actually fired it up a few months ago I think it's called uosecond age or something to try it.. holy crap I forgot just about everything ;)

Mining ore just outside Britain was ridiculously perilous. =)

One of the best features of UO is housing where you want it (within certain parameters). But I absolutely understand this complaint.

Yeah, it kills me to say it because truly flexible housing in a MMO is the holy grail. It came at a significant cost for me, though, in killing the feeling of the world. I don't know how I'd solve it, but maybe make housing that is remote (further from a town) or in dangerous areas much harder to maintain -- decays faster, costs a ton more, is under assault by monsters constantly, something.

I still hate that we never saw UOX. =(

The only time I was ever addicted to a video game was when I played UO. Reading this thread hits me right in the nostalgia. I can't even remember what shard I played on. I was in the guild KMP if anyone coincidentally knows them. Sometimes I try to find people I used to play with but no luck so far. If only I could remember my ICQ password!

It really was the best MMO.

nexen

Ultima Online was great. But you players screwed it up.
I can only take getting pk'd and looted by a guy in bone plate named some variation 'BoneD00d' so many times before it gets ... old.

KaYotiX

Banned
My wife was seriously hooked hard-core on UO for a solid 2 years. We played together but when I went to bed she would still be up till like 4am.

She did have alot of items and a large marble house though which was pretty impressive at the time. Our first MMO and it was amazing.

Ultima Online was great. But you players screwed it up.
I can only take getting pk'd and looted by a guy in bone plate named some variation 'BoneD00d' so many times before it gets ... old.

I was 13... and how did you not get bored just standing where mobs couldn't reach and casting bladestorm or ev at them, occasionally moving to loot them? Those people were clearly just begging for some excitement in their lives!

Sethista

Holy shit I was hoping for a UO thread. I played ALOT of UO, and still think its the best MMO in history. I had friends that created a shard, and we were implementing systems like seeds and plantations, different types of ores, etc. No MMO comes close to the amount of customization possible, and socialization as well.

We played in a shard called neverlands, and we dominated that shard for like 6 months. I created a brasillian guild, and we created an academy to train new players, we had blacksmiths, tailors, mass fabrication of weapons and magic itens, the best pvp players, it was such an awesome sense of accomplishment that I havent got with any other game since.

Zabka

Best MMO of all time. One of the best things they did was let you craft weapons that were good enough to be effective but not so expensive that you'd freak out if you lost it.

Played it constantly for a couple of years, but then one day I all of a sudden just stopped. I loved it when I was playing it, though. With Steam and my ridiculous backlog, I can barely play what I have, let alone paying $15/month for something.

Awesome thread, thanks to the OP for making me aware of this!

Never played it, always wanted to, would love to get started. Hopefully it's a "never too late" kind of situation.

It feels a little...odd...that I'm more excited about playing a defunct game that originally came out in 1999 than I am about anything on the XB1 or PS4 at the moment.

UO is one if not the best MMO ever released. I wouldn't mind if gave UO2 another shot

But it was going to be 3D :(. The best feature, or one of them, about UO IMO is the 2D viewpoint.

By the by, the other server I mentioned in the forum post, An Corp, launched two days ago. It's more "hardcore" and aims for T2A era (but no T2A, only mainland Britannia). No mounts, insta hit, no special hits (Nox mage, etct), but with some great improvements. So far it's been running 500-700 connected clients, not bad at all. Supposedly hit 1k the o ther night, but I was not on.

Anyone playing?

Damaniel

Banned
I couldn't stand it - I personally prefer my MMOs with much less griefing. People could seriously be huge shits in that game if they were bored otherwise. (Same reason I didn't/don't play EVE.)

I preferred Everquest - it looked better (in my opinion, at least), had more compelling gameplay, and you could make more progress with less grief.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Yes. Dear god yes. Before EA came in and fucked everything up, my brother was HUGE into it (part of some clan called Ice) and got me into it.

One hell of a game. It just felt like anarchy... and it was awesome.

Got it in the first week as a wee little lad. My first character was what I pictured as a ranger. I would tame all the animals in Yew while I chopped wood to make bows. I'd then sell the bows to vendors until I had a backpack full of gold.

I had no idea Yew had a bank so I would make the incredibly perilous run down to Britain. I'd have my speakers up and if I heard footsteps I'd duck behind a large tree and hide until the potential threat passed.

I remember running and getting my mom to show her the first time I killed an ettin, and the first time I tamed a giant spider.

Eventually my mom did get into it. She played a smith/alchemist and never set foot out of town. She GM'd those and several other crafting skills. I remember one year for her birthday I spent a week mining the colored ores and giving her a epic pile of ignots. She still says that was the best gift I ever gave her.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I couldn't stand it - I personally prefer my MMOs with much less griefing. People could seriously be huge shits in that game if they were bored otherwise. (Same reason I didn't/don't play EVE.)

I preferred Everquest - it looked better (in my opinion, at least), had more compelling gameplay, and you could make more progress with less grief.

That's why you needed to join a guild, so you could always roll 4-5 deep and keep the Reds off yo' back.

edit: J'accuse!

http://forum.uoancorp.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=195&sid=7cd85a913cae9122ff16a21034665002

Promote the shard and earn unique rewards!

I checked, there's no GAF post, everything is cool.

http://forum.uoancorp.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=195&sid=7cd85a913cae9122ff16a21034665002

Promote the shard and earn unique rewards!

I checked, there's no GAF post, everything is cool.

Nope, this is really more of a discussion, but in case anyone wants to play, those are the two servers I'd recommend. :)

Plus, I don't think they'd give me "credit" if I did since the OP primarily talks about and is focused on UORenassaince and not An Corp. They are now "competing" for the same private shard player base after all :).

SRTtoZ

I've been playing UO Forever for a couple weeks now and it's the best. It's the best of UO pre trammel and a ton of people play it so the world is full just like back when it launched. One of the greatest MMOs ever made until EA ruined it.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Nope, this is really more of a discussion, but in case anyone wants to play, those are the two servers I'd recommend. :)

Plus, I don't think they'd give me "credit" if I did since the OP primarily talks about and is focused on UORenassaince and not An Corp. They are now "competing" for the same private shard player base after all :).

Okay cool.

I used to play the fuck out of Atlantic back in the day. I don't want to get back into it because it really sucked my life that game. Good memories, but best left in the past.

Awntawn

god i miss this game, but i can't imagine being able to stand it now after the accessibility of today's MMOs. it will live forever nostalgically in my mind

I've been playing UO Forever for a couple weeks now and it's the best. It's the best of UO pre trammel and a ton of people play it so the world is full just like back when it launched. One of the greatest MMOs ever made until EA ruined it.

I tried UOF and just couldn't dig it. Skill gain is so fast it feels cheap (I was basically GM in several skills by day 2 or 3) and money was way too easy to acquire. Can't stand the beetles, wild colors, and other crazy they let go on. Glad you're liking it though.

I've thought about replaying UO for years now, but couldn't justify it. I decided to give this a shot, but honestly have no idea what to do with my character. I GM'd Musicianship and I'm about to GM Peacemaking, yet have no idea what I'm doing from there. I originally envisioned an animal tamer with:

Animal Taming
Animal Lore
Vet
Musicianship
Provocation
Peacemaking
Magery?

Now I'm thinking this character might be too tough to build. Animal Taming takes forever as does Magery if you're broke. I don't even know if this build will be particularly useful/powerful if mastered. Anyone have any ideas for a decent build for a character that already has Musicianship/Peacemaking?

it's the best MMORPG in my opinion, I loved that you could kill anyone, loot anyone, (I didn't do it myself) I found all that exciting it was like DAYZ before it was around, it was unforgiving, it forced players to police, create bounties, watch out for each other

but it fell to the carebears and now they dominate every MMORPG in existence today.

Wolff

Me too. I was excited for Shroud of the Avatar until I was linked to what is actually going on with the alpha of that game. Microtransactions up the ass. $200 for a plot of land to build on. $15 or something for unbreakable tools. It is the antithesis of what a new Ultima game should be, single or multiplayer.

I was counting on this game too, but i read the messages on the RPG thread and got really disappointed. Guess that won't be the game we all wish, which is a shame.

I was one of those who played Ultima Online but never played the ultima games themselves until when i saw the SoTA kickstater, then i started Ultima VII and then IV and i was amazed by it. Truly Fantastic RPGs.

Anyway, about UO, IMO best MMO ever. I'd sure want to play it again but time is short and i already have a few games to play. :p

jaxword

I honestly think there's enough cash in the Ultima fandom to kickstart a new Ultima game in the old-school style.

Just got to get Richard Garriot's attention.

you know I should also mention Phil Spencer was recently asked what his favorite RPG are and he listed, "Ultima Online" and being pked when he first got on, lol.

adds to the list of why i think that guys cool

Tex117

Banned
Everything about Ultima MMO or otherwise was way before its time.

And never imitated let alone emulated.

it is kind of upsetting you see one individual devs making a game look glorious or small teams and here you have a bunch of experience guys and the game looks terrible lol

I've thought about replaying UO for years now, but couldn't justify it. I decided to give this a shot, but honestly have no idea what to do with my character. I GM'd Musicianship and I'm about to GM Peacemaking, yet have no idea what I'm doing from there. I originally envisioned an animal tamer with:

Animal Taming
Animal Lore
Vet
Musicianship
Provocation
Peacemaking
Magery?

Now I'm thinking this character might be too tough to build. Animal Taming takes forever as does Magery if you're broke. I don't even know if this build will be particularly useful/powerful if mastered. Anyone have any ideas for a decent build for a character that already has Musicianship/Peacemaking?

I have exactly this build but instead of peacemaking I have meditation for Magery. Peacemaking works great, but I find that the dragons tank for me and with vet, no real need for it. You could switch Med out for Peace, as long as you don't plan to heavily use magery sans for gating recalling, etc.

jaxword

Mr Garriot, if you're reading this, the Ultima fandom is still large enough that they would pay for a proper resolution to the Guardian saga.

Mr Garriot, if you're reading this, the Ultima fandom is still large enough that they would pay for a proper resolution to the Guardian saga.
The Guardian was never the best of ideas, arguably. Ultima's at its best when avoiding the clear self-reflexivity of characters like Lord British and Iolo (not to forget the Avatar), and preying on players' expectations so directly isn't as effective as in previous games (forever losing your companions for one's perseverance in Ultima V!). Still, a new game like VI or VII succeeding Serpent Isles would be cool, especially since it will never happen.

I have exactly this build but instead of peacemaking I have meditation for Magery. Peacemaking works great, but I find that the dragons tank for me and with vet, no real need for it. You could switch Med out for Peace, as long as you don't plan to heavily use magery sans for gating recalling, etc.

I'm working on provocation for the time being. I'm hoping that having GM Peace and Prov will be enough to keep me safe and earn me some gold to start working on Magery and Taming. When I selected my character, I should have started those skills at 50, but instead I chose Warrior because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do. An hour after I reacquainted myself with the game there were about a dozen harps on the ground by the bank in Occlo so I just went from there.

Top Bottom