• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Um, why the HELL won't Panzer Dragoon Orta do 480P?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Yup, says it right on the box. Every single Xbox game I own does it. Even 1st gen stuff. Yet, when I try to boot it up on my 36" Sony Wega XBR, all I get is wonky colors and lines all over the screen. I've tried using the 16:9 "squeeze" option to force letterbox, switching off 1080i support on the Xbox dashboard and nada, zip, zilch. It's a tragedy really. This is a damn beautiful game. Anyone have any suggestions/reasons for this? Hell, even the Gameboy Player is progressive!

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
shantyman said:
I had no problems. All I can suggest is looking at your dashboard settings.

The thing is, every single Xbox game I own runs in 480P without problems at all. I've even turned off 480P for Orta and left it at 1080i to see if the signal gets converted. But still nothing. My Cube is rockin' progressive, same with my PS2 and the few games I have that support it. *Hangs head in sad resignation*

The only way I've played Orta on my Wega is interlaced. Still pretty, but, you know.

newsguy

bob_arctor said:
The thing is, every single Xbox game I own runs in 480P without problems at all. I've even turned off 480P for Orta and left it at 1080i to see if the signal gets converted. But still nothing. My Cube is rockin' progressive, same with my PS2 and the few games I have that support it. *Hangs head in sad resignation*

The only way I've played Orta on my Wega is interlaced. Still pretty, but, you know.

I can also confirm it runs fine @ 480p. Try disabling 720p and 1080i in the dash (some games like 007 do this nonsense).

EDIT: After looking at hdgames.net it appears there are copies that won't play in 480p.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
newsguy said:
I can also confirm it runs fine @ 480p. Try disabling 720p and 1080i in the dash (some games like 007 do this nonsense).

I think I've done this already (been a while), but I'll try again tonight. Oddly enough, I have the X2VGA adapter that hooks up to my PC monitor and Orta runs 480P there no problems whatsoever. Very odd. Could be I'm just unlucky with the TV I have.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
newsguy said:
EDIT: After looking at hdgames.net it appears there are copies that won't play in 480p.

!!!! That explains a lot. Do they offer what to look for to make sure which copy you have?

newsguy

bob_arctor said:
I think I've done this already (been a while), but I'll try again tonight. Oddly enough, I have the X2VGA adapter that hooks up to my PC monitor and Orta runs 480P there no problems whatsoever. Very odd. Could be I'm just unlucky with the TV I have.

Nah, I doubt it's your TV. See my edit, there are other people with problems running it in 480p as well.

EDIT: didn't see your post. www.hdgames.net and check out the section on the right for comments. Unfortunately it seems they don't have a solution.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
After I downloaded the XBOX Live update. That let me play fable in 480p. Panzer will not work in progressive. it will only work in 480i... anyone else experince this?

11/4/2004@8:32:13 PM: Yeah after the dashboard update PD in 480p gets garbled. Live update 3.0 will supposedly fix this...hopefully.

12/29/2004@3:30:51 PM: yes, garbled here.. bummer... no fix that I can see. At least you can force Fable to work.

5/7/2005@6:33:40 PM: anyone have any luck finding a fix for this? (the 480p problem)

5/23/2005@8:09:47 PM: 99% chance that there won't be a fix. The game sold poorly (relatively), and with the advent of Xbox360 on the horizon, there's really no impetus for Sega to release a patch for a game that's basically "dead." Same goes for Gunvalkyrie.

Bah! Sega fans get fucked again. This time not by Sega.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
trilobyte said:
it's the console. i have a newer xbox and it's garbled at 480p

That explains it. I have a newer model Xbox (Samsung drive) since my old one went down in flames a while ago.

newsguy

bob_arctor said:
That explains it. I have a newer model Xbox (Samsung drive) since my old one went down in flames a while ago.

Literally? Did it catch fire? I keep ignoring those XBOX notices telling me to get a new power cord, I need to do that.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
newsguy said:
Literally? Did it catch fire? I keep ignoring those XBOX notices telling me to get a new power cord, I need to do that.
:lol Nah, just made a crazy whirring noise then the normally green "circle" in the front turned a bright orange and finally a red and it was a wrap. I actually kept the unit so that way I can just swap drives at some point and hope that was the problem (basically it'll be my modded Xbox if all goes well).

Crap I didn't know I could do this...
just used the Enigmah video mode switcher, set to NTSC, put in the component cables and WHAM....

480p, 720p and 1080p options appeared on the dashboard.

Ninja Gaiden looks great!

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
radioheadrule83 said:
Crap I didn't know I could do this...
just used the Enigmah video mode switcher, set to NTSC, put in the component cables and WHAM....

480p, 720p and 1080p options appeared on the dashboard.

Ninja Gaiden looks great!

uh, I think you mean 1080i. Unless my xbox has been gipping me out of 1080p all along!

Top Bottom