• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop bargain bin discussion

robotzombie said:
Samurai Western was one of the most fun times I've had during the ps2 era, and probably beats the entire ps360 era

yeah, Samurai Western is a blast. If you ever wanted a game to make you feel like a badass samurai from cartoons like Goemon, Samurai Western is it.

Plus, if you played any way of the samurai game, there is a point at the end of the game that gets you pumped up.

yo like neo geo snk everythign was mad cheap prolly like five bucks in the bargain bin

snk's loss, play those decent games without haveing to pay for ass netplay on xbolx live

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Linkzg said:
I'd say it is still a bargain. I mean, games through digital distribution are just the software too, and in a lot of cases, they are more expensive that the used games in the OP. N64 and PS1 games on Wii and PS3 are around $10 now, and I think Xbox games are $20 on XBL. Even classic games on Steam are $10+ when not on sale, and $6 is the average price on GOG. $5 for just the Shinobi disc is great.

I understand if you were a collector, but if you're out to just buy the game, these are great deals. It is true that generally they only give you to the disc, but not the original case or manual. Still, the biggest problem is finding Gamestop stores that have these games in stock.

Yeah, I don't think there's any secret that I'm an OCD collector freak. :lol

The Gamestop near me even keeps aside wrapped copies of hard to find new releases that I MIGHT like, just because they know I'm such a stickler about it (I'm not there a lot, I just used to work there a few years ago, so everyone there knows me :lol)

Just a heads up about ordering used stuff from them online. Their quality control is horrible, especially for last gen stuff. Nearly their entire inventory from my experience is scratched up stuff sent back to HQ to be rebuffed. More than half of the stuff I ordered online lately had issues playing or had to be returned. I only kept trying because I had some credit built up. Just be prepared to make a trip to your local GS to make a return or having to pay postage to send the item(s) back.

I like the idea of this thread, will edit in a bit with some suggestions of my own :)

IrishNinja

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Way of the Samurai – 5.99
http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=19913
The case for: A very unique adventure/slasher. Really unlike most stuff out there.
The case against: Keep children in other room as you will punch something when your character dies and you lose your best weapon.

god, yes.
is Champloo: Sidetracked ever in there? wanted to give that one a go.
i remember borrowing Samurai Western and Blood Will Tell from a friend, weirdest gaming weekend i had there.

Linkzg said:
yeah, Samurai Western is a blast. If you ever wanted a game to make you feel like a badass samurai from cartoons like Goemon, Samurai Western is it.

Plus, if you played any way of the samurai game, there is a point at the end of the game that gets you pumped up.

I enjoy it in 15-minute spurts, but man... it really doesn't live up to the WotS series at all. The co-op is completely fucking broken.

IrishNinja said:
god, yes.
is Champloo: Sidetracked ever in there? wanted to give that one a go.

I think I paid like... $15 (?) for it at GameStop, but that was over a year ago. If you like Grasshopper and like SC then it's totally worth it, but just remember: it's a Grasshopper game. It does a few things well, and everything else is janky and basic. It has that Grasshopper appeal, though (and a badass soundtrack).

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Alex Anderson said:
Just a heads up about ordering used stuff from them online. Their quality control is horrible, especially for last gen stuff. Nearly their entire inventory from my experience is scratched up stuff sent back to HQ to be rebuffed. More than half of the stuff I ordered online lately had issues playing or had to be returned. I only kept trying because I had some credit built up. Just be prepared to make a trip to your local GS to make a return or having to pay postage to send the item(s) back.

I like the idea of this thread, will edit in a bit with some suggestions of my own :)

I've always wondered. What's the quality control like on Amazon's used games?

Updating again.

Transformers (PS2) - 9.99
http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=30952
The case for: Next to War for Cybertron this is the only good Transformers game ever made.
The case against: It's based off the Armada series. Ugh looking for lolicons and shit.

Seven Samurai 20XX - 5.99
http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=33553
The case for: A futuristic retelling of The Seven Samurai???
The case against: At least Dynasty Warriors lets you press a button besides square/X every now and then.

Phantom Dust - 2.99
http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=38059
The case for: A very cool post-apocalyptic game.
The case against: Hope you like the story mode cause that's all your gonna get.

Silpheed: The Lost Planet - 3.99
http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=9944
The case for: 2D shooter by Treasure
The case against: Yikes.

Alex Anderson said:

Yeah I figured as such. I never ordered used from there before because I assumed the quality would be real bad.

thetrin said:

Best advice is to take note of the description and feedback. I haven't had a problem yet with any of the used sellers I've went with via Amazon. Definitely worth considering.

thetrin said:

You're only going to get used games from sellers who do business through Amazon, so it depends on the seller. Generally you'll be fine buying from sellers with a 95% positive rating or higher. If you want, you can also check the feedback ratings they've been given to see why they were rated poorly by certain sellers.

I must have bought at least a hundred used games through Amazon already, and I've only had a handful of disappointing experiences. If I can't find it at GameStop (for that immediate gratification), I go straight to Amazon.

EDIT: ProTip: Just like eBay, buying used GBA games through Amazon is a total crapshoot. I've gotten two pirate carts already, and I only got my money back on one of them. Be careful with those.

benjipwns

Banned
NameGenerated said:
NFL 2K5 - $0.99
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=34304
The case for: One of the best football games ever imo.
The case against: Outdated rosters and maybe less features than current football games.

I, however, haven't played the PS2 version so I don't know how it stacks up to the Xbox version, which is currently out of stock.
There are people out there who still update the rosters for this. And the PS2 version is basically the same with worse graphics and still screens instead of highlights at halftime.

I need an Xbox. Sega dropped off some gaming goodness on it since they left the Dreamcast.

Plus, I really want to play Dreamfall again.

Speaking of which...
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey (Xbox) $9.99
For: Awesome "point and click"-style adventure game.
Against: Fans of the original Longest Journey seem to have been a little disappointed about something. I think it was the small amount of combat and action sequences in it or something.

DoctorWho said:
Everyone should buy F-Zero GX. Even if you don't own a system to play it on.
Truth right here. Best racing game ever.

If you're like me and you love Deadly Premonition then you may want to check out Bulletwitch on Xbox 360.

I picked up a copy years ago at Best Buy for $25 on clearance, but you can find a copy at GameStop for $8. It's cheesy as hell, has a ton of DLC, including free costumes and 20 MSP challenge levels. I think I spent about $5 on all the DLC, so it's a pretty good bargain.

Oh, but be warned: Like all Japanese budget titles on 360, the difficulty achievements unlock as you clear each difficulty setting. Also, the game defaults on Normal, but you'll want to do your first run-through on Easy, as Alicia's weapons and spells are weak as hell on your first run. Also, there's a 99 point achievement for playing the game for 15 hours and a 1 point achievement for clearing it on the highest difficulty setting. All told, you'll need five playthroughs to get 1000/1000 on the game.

Aselith

PGR4 is 9.98 new on Amazon if anyone was thinking about picking that up. I got it for 9.98 shipped from a third party Amazon vendor.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Dragon Quest VIII ($9.99)

Case For: My favorite PS2 game, epic adventure with beautiful cel-shaded graphics, awesome symphonic music, charming storyline, and one of the best and most realized worlds to explore in the PS2 era.
Case Against: Nothing, this game was the best game from last gen.

Metal Saga ($2.99)

Case For: Cool nonlinear adventure with multiple endings, vehicle customization
Case Against: Poor graphics, fairly long load times, not in stock on EBGames.com website (maybe it's available at your store)

Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana ($9.99)

Case For: Vibrant 2D graphics, some endearing characters, interesting although basic alchemy system
Case Against: Simplistic challenge level (apart from one or two bosses), short, may be a bit saccharine, generic combat system

God Hand ($12.99)

Case For: Innovative 3D beat-em-up with a sense of humor, a large moveset, and lots of challenge
Case Against: Control scheme is very unorthodox and takes some getting used to, very low budget production values

Blue Dragon ($9.99)

Case For: Great 'claymation' style graphics, oozing with charm, good dungeon design, and a very clever encounter system. Oh, and not to mention the most epic boss theme ever.
Case Against: Without downloading the optional difficulty pack, game is really easy. Characterization is lacking, and story is relatively basic.

Baten Kaitos ($5.99)

Case For: Beautiful pre-rendered backgrounds, lots of plot twists, innovative card-based battle system
Case Against: Tinny-sounding and poor voice acting, combat and gameplay are both very slow, story takes a while to pick up. Card battle system might not be your cup of tea.

Baten Kaitos: Origins ($9.99)

Case For: One of the best localizations ever, great story and VA, fast and furious combat. One of the best RPGs of last gen.
Case Against: If you played the original, a lot of the areas will look VERY familiar (aka a lot of reused assets). The card battle system, while much different and faster than the first game, still may not be your cup of tea.

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles ($7.99)

Case For: Beautiful graphics, great music... and damn that narrator's Irish accent is so hot <3
Case Against: Not nearly as fun single player as it is multi. Requires all that GBA link-cable jazz to play multi.

ultron87

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Robot Alchemic Drive – 5.99
http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=25092
The case for: hop in a giant robot and punch other giant robots to death...or ignore the robots and just go punch buildings.
The case against: Definitely hasn’t aged well.

Panzer Dragoon Orta – 6.99
http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=22350
The case for: A great shooter. Not much more I can say.
The case against: Has little to no soul and the story blows.

Project Sylpheed – 7.99
http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=64867
The case for: The only space combat game available on consoles this generation. What else can you do?
The case against: If you quit playing this game for an hour or so you’ll forget all of the controls.

These games are incredible values for the price. And the second two are good as well.

I can't really say that R.A.D is a good game. But the concept is amazing. And you can rocket punch a godzilla through 5 buildings. It is worth it just for that.

djtiesto said:
God Hand ($12.99)

Case For: Innovative 3D beat-em-up with a sense of humor, a large moveset, and lots of challenge
Case Against: Control scheme is very unorthodox and takes some getting used to, very low budget production values

My recommendation right there. GRANNY SLAP!

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I bought Tomb Raider Underworld on the PS3 for $9 the other day. I loved playing through it on the 360 so figured I'd give it another playthrough for fun and get trophies. I think the other TR games on the 360 are under $10 too.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
TheSeks said:
...But why would you pay for those now when you can get Sly 1-3 in HD + Achievements/Trophies on the PS3?

five dollars versus sixty

thetrin said:
Yeah, I don't think there's any secret that I'm an OCD collector freak. :lol

The Gamestop near me even keeps aside wrapped copies of hard to find new releases that I MIGHT like, just because they know I'm such a stickler about it (I'm not there a lot, I just used to work there a few years ago, so everyone there knows me :lol)

yeah, I'm still like that for current games, but for older ones I'm just willing to take what I can get. Usually I just print out a cover and use that to feel less empty inside.

Night_Trekker said:
I enjoy it in 15-minute spurts, but man... it really doesn't live up to the WotS series at all. The co-op is completely fucking broken.

It is a very arcade-y game, yeah, not like the wots series at all. It is a side game and I agree it doesn't have the same appeal as the main three games. There isn't even choosing your own path or anything in it, but I like it for what it is.

Snuggler said:
Sly Cooper and the Thievious Racoonus - $4.99
One of the best 3D platformers of last gen and what a good deal. Plus, it's actually in stock still.

If anyone has a store called Five Below near them (like the dollar store, but $5 is the limit) they have Sly Cooper 1 for $5 brand new, sealed and everything. They also have some other PS2 games brand new like Syphon Filter.

Urban Scholar said:
R-Type Final $5.99

Case for: A good shmup of the vertical nature with tons of ships to unlock and action to last
Case against: Hard as nails and falls into the not for everyone camp.
R-Type Final is neither vertically scrolling nor worthy of a mention!

Use that $5.99 to cop R-Type Delta on PSN imo

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
TheSeks said:
...But why would you pay for those now when you can get Sly 1-3 in HD + Achievements/Trophies on the PS3?

5 dollars. You can play it RIGHT NOW. You don't need a PS3. etc.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Neo Contra – 5.99
http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/Produ...oduct_id=41600
The case for: Overhead blastemup like Mercs
The case against: Oh wait you wanted a side-scrolling Contra?! What madness is this?!
Once you put aside that it's not the ol' Contra formula, this is an amazing game. One of the best games in recent memory to throw in for some quick, simple co-op fun when a friend's over.

I remember getting somewhat interested in Samurai Western whenever I saw it, only to completely forget about it's existence shortly thereafter. I didn't know it was part of the Way of the Samurai series. After just having watched Sukiyaki Western Django, maybe I'll go hunt it down.

Here's a few PSP games I'll add:

Chili Con Carnage - $6.99
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=64395
The case for: Humorous over-the-top action game with controls well-suited to PSP.
The case against: Hope you like Mexican stereotypes!

Gitaroo Man Lives! - $4.99
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=63790
The case for: Analog nub actually works better than Dual Shock analog for this game, imo.
The case against: Music game + portable speakers = ?

Dark Sector - $6.99
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=63668
The case for: Manually steering the Glaive through a row of enemies' jugulars is pretty amazing.
The case against: The story is badly told to the point of complete incomprehensibility.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Snuggler said:
5 dollars. You can play it RIGHT NOW. You don't need a PS3. etc.

I guess. But I'm more the type to wait for the announced remakes to launch and get those as generally they're better off/redone and fix a few issues than the originals. But I'm weird like that.

Edit:
>>B2G1 deal<<

OSNAP. I really shouldn't partake in this as I'm kinda waiting for BlazBlue: CS to come out. But this is tempting with some of the games on this list.

five dollars versus sixty

Sly 1 in SD- $5
Sly 1-3 in HD - $60

Value of 3 games that were $50 on launch in a $60 collection > $5 cheap fix, IMO.

Pepsiman said:
Phantom Dust
The case for: A very cool post-apocalyptic game.
The case against: Hope you like the story mode cause that's all your gonna get.

You can play this on XBConnect/XLink Kai, Tunneling System Link but yeah. The X-box Live shut-off's biggest blow was to this game. I own two copies of it (one to play on the 360 so I don't worry about the 360 scratching the original $20 paid-for X-box original disc) and enjoy it immensely.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
TheSeks said:
I guess. But I'm more the type to wait for the announced remakes to launch and get those as generally they're better off/redone and fix a few issues than the originals. But I'm weird like that.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm waiting for the remake collection to get my Sly fix, I'd love to play it now but I'm willing to wait, but all the poor people who only have PS2's could benefit from that shit.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Snuggler said:
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm waiting for the remake collection to get my Sly fix, I'd love to play it now but I'm willing to wait, but all the poor people who only have PS2's could benefit from that shit.

Hmm... if the other two Sly Coopers are around that range ($10-15) and you don't mind playing SD games on an HDTV, I guess this wouldn't be a bad value at this time for those with a PS2 or BC PS3. But me, I rather wait. It's hard for me to go back to SD games if they have an HD version coming (and like I said above in my edit, I find the value of a $60 collection for three games better than a $5 quick-fix with one of them, but that's just me).

Mifune

Mehmber
Why would you do that? said:
I need an Xbox. Sega dropped off some gaming goodness on it since they left the Dreamcast.

Plus, I really want to play Dreamfall again.

Speaking of which...
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey (Xbox) $9.99
For: Awesome "point and click"-style adventure game.
Against: Fans of the original Longest Journey seem to have been a little disappointed about something. I think it was the small amount of combat and action sequences in it or something.

FYI Dreamfall plays perfectly through 360 BC. Love that game so much.

Anyone manage to scoop up anything worth a hoot during this buy 2 get 1 free sale?
I didn't find much of anything at the one store I went to and right now I'm too sick to leave the house so yeah..great.

Anyway I take back whatever recommendation I made for Spy Fiction. Fuck that game. Early on there's this mission where you have to rapple to reach a computer in a room filled with laser trip alarms and such. It's basically the scene straight out of Mission Impossible(The Movie). You get maybe less than a minute to drop down, get the data, and come back up. To me these are the worst kind of sections because they're really simple(there are three sets of lasers to pass and some set of special lasers on the way back up) but there are so many possible things that can go wrong that less than a minute turns into half an hour or so.

So yeah fuck that game. I'm sorry I burned an hour or so on it.

More stuff:

Rumble Roses XX - 9.99
http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=42785
The case for: Probably the best wrestling game on the 360.
The case against: Your girlfriend won't care.

Dead or Alive Xtreme 2 - 7.99
http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=61384
The case for: Women in tiny TINY outfits.
The case against: This is supposed to be a vacation! Why does everything about this game piss me off!?

Grandia Xtreme - 9.99
http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=19468
The case for: The excellent Grandia battle-system
The case against: Some people play RPGs for the story...ew.

Gungrave - 3.99
http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=22398
The case for: Predictable yet stylish shooter
The case against: One-hit kill attacks on higher difficulties

Gungrave: Overdose - 3.99
http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=36056
The case for: Sequel with more levels, more characters, and more uh..stuff.
The case against: Presentation and graphics take a major hit. Animu as all fuck storyline.

BTW feels like I gotta buy another PSP sooner rather than later. There are tons of awesome stuff for ridiculous prices.

Fox Mulder

the gamestop I went to really didn't have shit. I ended up getting PGR4, M:UA, and that table tennis game for like $12.

They actually got rid of the bargain bin at my local rogers (CAN)
Twas a sad day indeed

also, dont bash the last boss of shinobi. All you have to do is kill about 20 enemies in kick succession so that you can two hit kill the last boss. Once you actually do it its a total fuck yaer moment

Onion_Relish said:
also, dont bash the last boss of shinobi. All you have to do is kill about 20 enemies in kick succession so that you can two hit kill the last boss. Once you actually do it its a total fuck yaer moment

I think the biggest thing about the final dude is that for once you actually have to seriously figure him out. A lot of times I got through bosses early on because I got a lucky tate, not because I figured out their patterns and what to do when they did whatever. Eventually you can get the final boss down to a point where you can counter everything he does. It's really a satisfying encounter.

He's still a whore though. Should have stayed an old man because old people talking shit is awesome. If I wanted to put up with shit-talking little kids I'd play Modern Warfare.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I think the biggest thing about the final dude is that for once you actually have to seriously figure him out. A lot of times I got through bosses early on because I got a lucky tate, not because I figured out their patterns and what to do when they did whatever. Eventually you can get the final boss down to a point where you can counter everything he does. It's really a satisfying encounter.

He's still a whore though. Should have stayed an old man because old people talking shit is awesome. If I wanted to put up with shit-talking little kids I'd play Modern Warfare.

Yeah he isnt easy by any means, but managing the fight itself feels sufficiently epic. All too often we get boss encounters that are way too easy, but in this case, you literally have to dodge and slash your way through the level while killing all his goons to finally get to him and cut him in half. Badass.

I picked the game up for cheap not knowing anything about it from my local hole in the wall "game shop" (more like a place where people get gouged for old games and get jack shit for new games). It sells dvds and movies and old shit, but yeah. Wondered in, bought it for 30 or so, never regretted it. I even got used to the camera after a while. There were a couple occasions when it was terrible, but overall the game is sweet.

inclusion edit

Stumpokapow said:
They got rid of all <$10 DVDs at the nearest one to me a few days ago :(

the rogers in white rock (south surrey technically) has an eb inside it and they completely gutted the place. It does look a lot nicer now, but the walls used to be jammed with new and old games alike. They had 2 or 3 bins full of old ps2 and xbox games. Now the place looks barren. On top of the wall they have dj hero and wii sports bundles, shit sucks. I think they are actually moving it all over to another location as i just saw a new store opening the other day. That being said, it was already pretty close to the new location just down the road and the new one will be moving even closer. Its probably a 5 minute bike ride between them, max. Pretty lulzy

Top Bottom