• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unannounced Sony / PlayStation hardware coming soon (Asus employee say is a new handheld)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Drive Club I am pretty sure is shut off and is essentially unplayable. No one cares for Infamous Second Son. The Last of Us Remastered is irrelevant and outdated with Last of Us Part 1 existing thats available on PC. God of War Ragnarok will come to PC just like the first one did. It would very dumb to think that the sequel won't get a port.

Bloodborne doesn't even run good on a PS4. Yes, it's a fantastic game, but it needs a huge technical upgrade and is just wise to release a PS5 version alongside a PC. Simply porting Bloodborne to PC won't be good enough 8 years later after its original release.

Highly doubt anyone wants to play Tearway Unfolded or any of the Gravity Rush titles on PC after so many years. Games are too small and not mainstream enough and feel like indie titles.

Dreams was a wasted opportunity that should of released on PC day 1 and took too long to release and it doesn't even exist on the PS5 as far as I know. Sony fucked themselves with this one.

Shadow of the Colossus is a remake of a PS2 title. Is the PC version really needed at this point? GT7/Sport.. yeah maybe should come to PC, but it's a racing game. Racing games are way more fun to play on the consoles. MKB controls suck as for racing and fighting games.

Ghost of Tsushima is probably the next port alongside Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart. Also, Ratchet and Clank is another franchise that not many people really care for. The franchise has its following, but thats it.

Medieval is PS1 game and apparently the Remake didn't make a super hot splash to begin with when it came out. Doesn't really matter.
No offence meant DriveClub is still working thank you very much ;)… some people do care about the best Infamous (Second Son) hehe.

The rest there is you quickly hand waving things away (bit ridiculous sorry :D): GT7 ah a racing game (disqualified because? 🤷‍♂️ ), Medievil is a remake of a PS1 game and did not sell that well ( and? 🤷‍♂️ … let’s just forget playing on my beloved Steam Deck is also about playing games that did not set the world on fire like Betrayal at Krondor although they are still very very dear to me), SotC ah a remake of a PS2 title (so what? We feel better because we cannot natively play either? 🤷‍♂️ ), Gravity Rush 1/2 and Tearaway sorry ran away of excuses let me reach in my pocket (come on :)), Dreams oh yeah it should have released but because it did not yet it does not matter in the list of what we do not have ported yet (wut? 🤷‍♂️, btw, it works just fine on PS5 with the Pro patch )… GoT, GoW, and R&C do not matter ”now” because we will have a port “at some point”…

With that said, I think we will be better off if either Sony fully commits to a PS4++++ like HW they can support without a lot of effort (portable targeting 720p with FSR like solutions for resolution and frame rate interpolation and VRR, so a Ryzen 7 and RDNA3+ based mobile SoC) which is unlikely or they port all the above to Steam Deck somewhat soonish (and by the time Steam Deck 2 comes out we will be able to do any of them justice, even some PS5 ports which should have some RT features boosting them too).

The problem with a Sony handheld, bit crowded space, is that I think they may be way way behind the Steam Deck launcher/UI and that has changed things. Nintendo is helped by the fact that they never ported their games to PC and are exclusive to their platform and quite unique… Sony decided to eat the forbidden fruit… and by your own admission they are indeed hurting Sony’s HW market chances (the market where they make royalty money from third party publishers too): the argument that we can make from this thread is that if they never ported their games to PC they would have a better chance to make a portable again. Oh well…

Last edited:

Duchess

The next new Sony hardware will be the PS5 with the optional optical drive add-on. It'll work with certified Blu Ray XL drives.

MS will do likewise, but release a propriety drive that'll cost 3 times as much :)

(then complain to the CMA that Sony's hardware outsells theirs)

Last edited:

Elios83

I honestly think that Tom Henderson is just losing it and seeking attention at this point.
He can't be the only one having somehow access to Sony's hardware plans. Usually when something truly leaks and it's true, rumors tend to become widespread and reinforced from multiple credible sources. He's the only one talking continously about Sony hardware. Also this time it's so vague that it can be whatever peripheral/accessory Sony might announce in the future.

Last edited:

Poltz

toms rumors never turned out true... remember all his switch pro, switch 2 tweets? stop giving this guy attention
To be fair he had the Dualsense Edge, Discord on PS date and if the removable disc drive PS5 comes he is reliable for Sony.

supernova8

Banned
So either he knows what the "unannounced hardware" but is drip-feeding us on purpose - being a dick.

or

He's making it up - being a dick.

Either way he's being a dick.

If he truly knows what it is he should say it or:
go away gtfo GIF

"err, defunutleh sterrr choooned....err..."

Discover No Way GIF by ADWEEK

Last edited:
So either he knows what the "unannounced hardware" but is drip-feeding us on purpose - being a dick.

or

He's making it up - being a dick.

Either way he's being a dick.

If he truly knows what it is he should say it or:
go away gtfo GIF

"err, defunutleh sterrr choooned....err..."

Discover No Way GIF by ADWEEK

Rumored hardware already reported by him:

- New PS5 with detachable disc drive
- PS5 Pro
- PlayStation Earbuds
- New line of PlayStation headsets

I sI looked into my glass ball and I saw much more specific things than this faker. I saw, hold your breath! I saw… I saw… Sony is busy designing a PS6!

I know I know, that’s some true magic there no?

I See Data GIF by Star Trek

Tom Henderson is a very credible leaker and has always been right and on track. Perhaps do some research on who Tom Henderson is before making assumptions. You didn't even bother to read the source before making a statement that was already answered to begin with.

I know who Tom Henderson is.

He's predicted a bunch of stuff that hasn't yet materialized, so I'm not sure where the claim of his credibility as a leaker comes from.

Heck, he's said a PS5 Pro is coming, so he's totally full of shit in my book.

Banned

there will absolutely be a Pro.
they will most likely promote it as the raytracing console, having RT patches for it ready for launch in games that previously didn't have RT, and patches that make previously 30fps locked RT modes run at 60fps

Unreal engine 5 games could be marketed with using hardware lumen on Pro vs software lumen on the base PS5.

and Microsoft will do a similar upgrade, maybe leaning even more into RT with pathtraced Minecraft finally releasing on it.

there will absolutely be a Pro.

Not when the time it was supposedly being designed we were deep into component scarcity in the semiconductor industry, that was so bad they didn't even know when they'd get enough components to provide a sufficient supply of their base PS5 to meet demand.

Anyone rumor-mongering a PS5 Pro before 2025 is entirely full of shit.

Banned
Not when the time it was supposedly being designed we were deep into component scarcity in the semiconductor industry, that was so bad they didn't even know when they'd get enough components to provide a sufficient supply of their base PS5 to meet demand.

Anyone rumor-mongering a PS5 Pro before 2025 is entirely full of shit.

maybe it was pushed back internally, but it will come for sure.

I know who Tom Henderson is.

He's predicted a bunch of stuff that hasn't yet materialized, so I'm not sure where the claim of his credibility as a leaker comes from.

Have you missed every one of his Ubisoft leaks for the past 1-2 years that then were proven true on consistent basis? He doesn't predict, he leaks.

Last edited:
The amount of denial you are in is incredible and your constant self-defense is staggering. You just don't want to admit you are wrong. Lol. Conversation ends here. Best wishes.

Nah, you're just being obtuse in believing that a leaker who has predicted a handful of correct things MUST be correct about everything.

It's naivety at its worst.

TrebleShot

A few angry fools on the internet wont stop Sony releasing A PS5 pro.
This is a world where £2600 GFX cards release every 2 years and become gold dust instantly.

£1500 phones release every year that barely have any difference to the previous and get hyped and sold out.

TV manufacturers release a £3/4k flagship TV every year.

The general public is far more accepting of hardware revisions than people think and Sony and MS will tap into that market make no mistake.

A PS5 pro would sell out instantly and be very popular amongst enthusiasts.

I guarantee a bunch of people on here wouldn’t hypothetically buy a pS5 pro but if they released one in reality would be front of the line.

Its also widely known MS are building a mid gen refresh of the XSX and if they go Sony will 150%.

Stop with the BS and just announce it tbh.

Twinblade

PS5 Slim is happening, PS5 detached disc drive is apparently happening and the pro is probably happening at some point too.

PSVita 2, doubt its ever happening.

The PS5 PRO is more than a year away so that won't be announced anytime soon. Sadly Sony has dumped too much time and money into the VR to bring out a handheld system. The PSVR 2 won't sell as well as the Vita.

skit_data

A portable with the ability to run PS4 games would be awesome but I’m not sure it would be possible to produce one that’s energy efficient enough to have a decent battery life at a reasonable price point but I’m happy to be proven wrong.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
It's probably some headphone, display, or something. I bet it's nothing exciting and he's milking the attention.
Its going to be something most gamers are not interested in for sure, is my bet anyhow.

Have seen people talking about a Sony 27" OLED monitor though which might interest some

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
The next Sony portable??

7z23VHu.gif

Hybrid if they want it to sell better......
I mean if asus now has a chip at 2x the power of steam deck, that means sony has access to similar. This would put it around the level of a series S, and makes it just that much easier to sell as dual purpose.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It already exists. Even better, it's a PS5 handheld.

Go download Returnal, TLOU 1, GoW, Miles Morales, Days Gone and Uncharted on steam. Buy a Steam Deck. = profit.

Eh, how is Steam Deck a "PS5 handheld"? It performs roughly like a PS4 but at 720p instead of 1080p. And all the games you listed are PS4 games. Edit: Ok, Returnal isn't.

Last edited:
Eh, how is Steam Deck a "PS5 handheld"? It performs roughly like a PS4 but at 720p instead of 1080p. And all the games you listed are PS4 games. Edit: Ok, Returnal isn't.
PS5 handheld in terms of the games you can play. Not specifically hardware/technical specs.

Returnal is a PS5/PC game only
TLOU Part 1 is a PS5/PC game only
Miles Morales is cross-gen game so its a PS5 game in a sense.
GoW is the only PS4 game.

Last edited:
PS5 handheld in terms of the games you can play. Not specifically hardware/technical specs.

Miles Morales is cross-gen game so its a PS5 game in a sense.
GoW is the only PS4 game.
Let's keep it a buck here, tlou is a ps3 game

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Miles Morales, GoW Ragnarok are cross-gen games, so yes a PS5 game you can access via handheld.

Returnal can barely maintain 30fps on the lowest possible settings on the Deck from what I've seen, that's not how that game should be played.

And TLOU kinda is a PS4 game that just happens to be PS5 exclusive. It looks pretty much like TLOU2, and I have zero doubts it could run on PS4 at 1080p30 or at least 900p30. They just decided to make it PS5 exclusive, not because it technically needed to be.

The other games don't look and run like the PS5 versions on the Deck, but like the PS4 versions at 720p.

A 720p handheld PS4 is not a bad thing at all, but trying to sell it as a handheld PS5 is very disingenuous.

Returnal can barely maintain 30fps on the lowest possible settings on the Deck from what I've seen, that's not how that game should be played.

And TLOU kinda is a PS4 game that just happens to be PS5 exclusive. It looks pretty much like TLOU2, and I have zero doubts it could run on PS4 at 1080p30 or at least 900p30. They just decided to make it PS5 exclusive, not because it technically needed to be.

The other games don't look and run like the PS5 versions on the Deck, but like the PS4 versions at 720p.

A 720p handheld PS4 is not a bad thing at all, but trying to sell it as a handheld PS5 is very disingenuous.
dude... you need to stop taking everything someone says so literal. It is the closest thing we have right now to a PS5 handheld is what my points was. Yes, we all know its a much weaker machine, that's not a secret. This whole thing is about wanting to play PS5/PS4 titles on a mobile device and my point is that Steam Deck allows you to do that to a certain extent regardless of the specs. You knew exactly what I meant by it.

All of the things I've stated are 100% true about Steam Deck and the games it supports lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom