• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pranay

Its wierd, that in the magazine they say unchared 3 is the best game in the series and end up giving 94 LOL.

Can be mp issues hmm

Loudninja

Pranay_ said:
Its wierd, that in the magazine they say unchared 3 is the best game in the series and end up giving 94 LOL.

Can be mp issues hmm
Same deal as R3 not surprising ta all really, different reviewers.

nib95

Banned
Pranay_ said:

Can be mp issues hmm

Weirder still is that they gave the last 100. Curious indeed.

Ezel

Neo Member
marc^o^ said:
October 28th in France :)
Great news for us, as 1st november is a bank holiday in France Sony allowed retailers to sell the game on 28th Octobre (awesome 3 days week-end incoming)!!!

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Busty said:
I DEMAND that this be a box quote.

In Spanish? Nah.

If I were Sony, I wouldn't use a Spanish magazine quote, I'd use PTOM or Game Informer quotes.

Carbonox

Pazuzu9 said:
They gave Uncharted 2 100? And said Uncharted 3 was better and gave it 94? What is this madness.

Prepare for a lot of that.

I reckon it's more or less down to the fact that back when Uncharted 2 came out, it was a 100/100 game to them because it really went above and beyond anything else, including Uncharted 1.

Now, Uncharted 3 might be an improved game over Uncharted 2 but it may not necessarily still be above and beyond anything else in this current time period.

This is the only way that makes sense to me.

Carbonox_Ratchet said:

I reckon it's more or less down to the fact that back when Uncharted 2 came out, it was a 100/100 game to them because it really went above and beyond anything else, including Uncharted 1.

Now, Uncharted 3 might be an improved game over Uncharted 2 but it may not necessarily still be above and beyond anything else in this current time period.

But... Uncharted 2 is better than Gears 3. ¬_¬

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Carbonox_Ratchet said:

I think it's the only way to think about, in general.

Pazuzu9 said:
I haven't played Gears 3 yet but is that true to you?
I played Gears 2 and I would take U2 over it anyday but I don't know about Gears 3.

kneePat

Pazuzu9 said:
They gave Uncharted 2 100? And said Uncharted 3 was better and gave it 94? What is this madness.

This happens alot... recent examples: Gears of War 3, Resistance 3, Forza 4, inFamous 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, also countless sports games.

Moral of the story is to not care so much about the metascore but the actual words / opinions in the review. Also I think when they say a game is better or the best in the series that doesn't have to be reflected in the score, and all games should be scored individually.

Pazuzu9 said:

First of all, they're very different games just in breed. I think you might just be kidding, but if you're not, UC3 might be better than UC2 which might be better than Gears 3 and that's a perfectly fine opinion. But you should know its possible that someone's opinion may be different than yours as well as the fact that the just because the scores awarded to the games don't line up with UC3>UC2>Gears 3 their opinion may be still be the same as yours.

rhino4evr

I'm not sure what the popular opinion is on Gears 3 is, but I was pretty disappointed with the single player campaign. A friend of mine who is a SUPER fan (as in bought the New Gears Xbox AND the Legendary Edition) is disappointed as well.

I still think Uncharted 2 is the best game of the current generation of consoles. If part 3 is equally as good ill be more then happy

kneePat

rhino4evr said:
I'm not sure what the popular opinion is on Gears 3 is, but I was pretty disappointed with the single player campaign. A friend of mine who is a SUPER fan (as in bought the New Gears Xbox AND the Legendary Edition) is disappointed as well.

I still think Uncharted 2 is the best game of the current generation of consoles. If part 3 is equally as good ill be more then happy

It depends on if you play MP or not. Uncharted is by far the better single player game, if you introduce MP, and weight it heavier than SP, into your rating then Gears 3 might get the nod because of the added variety and modes, and it just feels great. Now sure you could argue that UC has great multiplayer but at that point I would ignore you. :p

Spy

kneePat said:
This happens alot... recent examples: Gears of War 3, Resistance 3, Forza 4, inFamous 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, also countless sports games.

Moral of the story is to not care so much about the metascore but the actual words / opinions in the review. Also I think when they say a game is better or the best in the series that doesn't have to be reflected in the score, and all games should be scored individually.

First of all, they're very different games just in breed. I think you might just be kidding, but if you're not, UC3 might be better than UC2 which might be better than Gears 3 and that's a perfectly fine opinion. But you should know its possible that someone's opinion may be different than yours as well as the fact that the just because the scores awarded to the games don't line up with UC3>UC2>Gears 3 their opinion may be still be same yours.
LittleBigPlanet was way better than LBP2! The story mode in LBP1 had so much more charm.

Shai-Tan

Banned
kneePat said:

could just explain it with the idea that there is progress in games. gears of war 2 came out november of 2008, uncharted 2 came out october 13, 2009. if you look for old games to play it's a good heuristic to lower the metascore a bit relative to more recent games. previous experiences inform reviewers. even if there wasn't progress people would just get bored of one type of gameplay that has been repeated across games

kneePat

Spy said:
LittleBigPlanet was way better than LBP2! The story mode in LBP1 had so much more charm.

My point was that reviewers say that a sequel like LBP2 is the better game and give it lower a score than its predecessor all the time because the score isn't the metric by which you compare the games, but the words in the review do an ample job of comparing the games for you, usually.

thuway said:
I garuntee you, I'll have the game before most of you. People here don't give a fuck about street dates.
I'm going to the U3 movie theater event tomorrow, and chances are I'll have it even before you, lol. Anyone here go to one yesterday?

laika09

kneePat said:
My point was that reviewers say that a sequel like LBP2 is the better game and give it lower a score than its predecessor all the time because the score isn't the metric by which you compare the games, but the words in the review do an ample job of comparing the games for you, usually.

If the score isn't the metric by which you compare games, then what the hell is it?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
laika09 said:
If the score isn't the metric by which you compare games, then what the hell is it?

The score is one metric you can use, but keep in mind that games keep getting better and the scale doesn't increase. So a game from 2009 that was a 9/10 might not be as good as a game in 2011 that is also a 9/10.

Reviewers can't give a lower score to a game in the present just because they know that eventually they'll like something better. They have to give high scores, then be faced with the problem that the scale has a maximum that they cannot exceed, even if a future game is better than anything they've played before.

So when comparing games across significant spans time, the number alone isn't going to work very well.

laika09

hey_it's_that_dog said:
The score is one metric you can use, but keep in mind that games keep getting better and the scale doesn't increase. So a game from 2009 that was a 9/10 might not be as good as a game in 2011 that is also a 9/10.

Reviewers can't give a lower score to a game in the present just because they know that eventually they'll like something better. They have to give high scores, then be faced with the problem that the scale has a maximum that they cannot exceed, even if a future game is better than anything they've played before.

So when comparing games across significant spans time, the number alone isn't going to work very well.

This case isn't comparing Uncharted 3 to Super Mario Brothers, though. It's saying that a new game, coming out 2 years after its prequel, on the same hardware, that outdoes its predecessor in every possible way, and is reviewed by the exact same person, is empirically (and mathematically) 6% worse. What meaning does your review score even hold at that point? Do we need to calculate 5% score deflation every year or something?

Sony Japan got Harrison Ford to play Uncharted 3 for the Japanese marketing commercial

Wgyev.jpg

WVYUd.jpg

YPO0z.jpg

http://andriasang.com/comyni/

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
laika09 said:
This case isn't comparing Uncharted 3 to Super Mario Brothers, though. It's saying that a new game, coming out 2 years after its prequel, on the same hardware, that outdoes its predecessor in every possible way, and is reviewed by the exact same person, is empirically (and mathematically) 6% worse. What meaning does your review score even hold at that point? Do we need to calculate 5% score deflation every year or something?

We have to do something because when a game get's a 9 or a 10 it's sequel literally can't get better scores.

There's also the fact that even if a sequel is objectively better in every way, the subjective impact is lessened because people get used to being impressed. UC2 was a big step up from UC1, which was already good. That had a big impact on people and their subjective experience of the improvements was big. Now UC3 isn't likely to be as big a step up from UC2 as UC2 was from UC1, and Naughty Dog would have to do some impossible shit to impress people as much as they did before. So that's another reason better games get lower scores.

I agree that it's jarring to see the same reviewer say the game is better and score it lower, but that's pretty much what's going on constantly.

My theory doesn't explain, however, why it's "only" a 94 compared to a 100 before. The reviewer clearly had room to give it a higher score than he did if he really thinks it's better than UC2.

We really shouldn't be worrying that much about scores between 90 and 100 anyway.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
NeoUltima said:
He's probably like "damn, Indy don't got shit on Drake".

He's probably like "I'm Harrison Ford and I don't give a fuck about your video-game. Just give me the money and I'll hold a controller for 30 seconds."

mollipen

nib95 said:
Weirder still is that they gave the last 100. Curious indeed.

The world when Uncharted 2 may have received a 100 and the world when Uncharted 3 may receive a 94 aren't the same worlds.

shidoshi said:
The world when Uncharted 2 may have received a 100 and the world when Uncharted 3 may receive a 94 aren't the same worlds.

so true,if I had to review U2 this year, I wouldn't give it a 100 whereas I probably would 2 years ago. OOT Master Quest is still is a 100 for me though :D

madmaxx350 said:
so true,if I had to review U2 this year, I wouldn't give it a 100 whereas I probably would 2 years ago. OOT Master Quest is still is a 100 for me though :D
What's different now? What game in U2's genre has come along that has raised the bar further? It still stands up 2 years later imo, and I just don't agree with scoring U3 lower just because it's new; if it's better, then it's score should reflect that. If Batman AC can get 10's
for it being better than it's predecessor, then U3 should get the same treatment, if warranted.

nib95

Banned
madmaxx350 said:

Meh, playing through U2 currently (for the 4th or 5th time), it's as good as it ever was and (imo) still the best game this generation by a long shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom