• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNCHARTED |OT| The Master Thief Collection

OnlyAFan

Neo Member
Can I revisit places after finishing the game to get the collectables I have missed or am I doomed? :D

You sure can, just had to do that in Uncharted 3 to get the treasure I missed. Load from the save game with your treasures, then select the chapter and overwrite the save, all previous treasures/progress is saved but you can collect them by jumping about chapters. I assume you can without saving at all, too, but it wouldn't save your treasures if you quit before getting the trophy.

OnlyAFan

Neo Member
Is it possible buy digitally a single remastered?

Nah unfortunately, but I'd argue they're all worth playing and you can probably find a code for the Collection on eBay now or during the holidays for about as much as you'd expect to pay for one of the remasters due to their being bundled w/ new PS4s.

Replicant

Woohoo, Crushing completed on all games w/ all trophies in same run. What a wild ride, can't wait for Uncharted 4, from what we've seen it actually looks pretty different from previous games so hope I won't be burnt out. Now to try and do the speedrun trophies, anyone got any good tips for any of the games/strategies/guides perhaps? Cheers

Try to be efficient during the non-combat moments. Don't waste too much time there. Also, if you're good, try to run and gun during combat. Since you'll be playing on easy, it should be easy not to get killed doing so. By doing this, you'll cut a lot of time.

Also, in UC3, you can cut down at least 4 minutes worth of your time by going full-on stealth in the airport area. As long as you do it perfectly, you wouldn't have to worry about catching the plane within 12 minutes.

Heartfyre

Despite pre-ordering the game, and after a whole lot of trials and tribulations, I will (hopefully!) receive my copy of this tomorrow. There is something to be said for digital distribution.

takriel

Playing through the first game with my gf and we like the story, but the shooting segments are annoying as hell. So boring. Do the other games get better in this regard? Because we want to keep playing to see how the story progresses.

Try to be efficient during the non-combat moments. Don't waste too much time there. Also, if you're good, try to run and gun during combat. Since you'll be playing on easy, it should be easy not to get killed doing so. By doing this, you'll cut a lot of time.

Also, in UC3, you can cut down at least 4 minutes worth of your time by going full-on stealth in the airport area. As long as you do it perfectly, you wouldn't have to worry about catching the plane within 12 minutes.

Ah okay, thanks. I consider myself an Uncharted Veteran™ so the running and gunning should be a piece of cake. Would just hate myself to barely miss out on the required time and having effectively wasted hours of my day attempting it so trying to gather all the tips I can before going it lol

Playing through the first game with my gf and we like the story, but the shooting segments are annoying as hell. So boring. Do the other games get better in this regard? Because we want to keep playing to see how the story progresses.

Are you playing it on Explorer difficulty? If not, change it in the pause menu. It's there for people like you who would prefer to just enjoy the story and not fuss about with the shooting mechanics. If you're referring to the first game, the other two do storytelling and set-pieces better imo so should be more engaging. Just make sure to use that Explorer difficulty, god knows someone should.

Uncharted 2 and 3 handle the combat and overall gameplay much better.

I feel like Uncharted 1 has definitely dated the most (well, it was the first one) and no amount of polish would really change that. I still enjoy it, but I absolutely get the complaints about the combat.

ron_bato

Definitely. I felt Uncharted 1 had really cheap encounters, and this was largely rectified in Uncharted 2. Uncharted 2 had some of the most memorable set-piece moments of any game I've played, and combat flows much better in Uncharted 2 compared to 1.

takriel

Are you playing it on Explorer difficulty? If not, change it in the pause menu. It's there for people like you who would prefer to just enjoy the story and not fuss about with the shooting mechanics. If you're referring to the first game, the other two do storytelling and set-pieces better imo so should be more engaging. Just make sure to use that Explorer difficulty, god knows someone should.
Yeah we are playing it on Explorer difficulty. Not gonna lie, I hoped this would let us skip combat segments altogether... lol. We just hate the way chapters are designed and predictable. Explore this cool place, climb and solve some puzzles, listen to dialogue (all things we enjoy) and then comes the part where enemies start appearing out of nowhere and you're just stuck killing them before you can go on with the cool stuff. It's really getting annoying.

Edit: Great to hear that the sequels improve upon enemy encounter design!

As Doctor_Thomas and ron_bato said; the first game is particularly rough and especially 'gamey' in the way it handles combat. The 2nd and 3rd weave it nicely into the gameplay flow barring a few unavoidably bigger encounters. These are 3rd person shooter games that happen to have entertaining stories, not puzzlers or walking sims so it's unrealistic to expect they'll be devoid of combat. But yeah, the encounters are handled much more naturally and there's not as much obvious arenas. Persevere, it's worth it! :)

Drake's Fortune is still a bit shit tbh, it's amazing just how much insanely better the sequels are
Playing on normal and there's so many annoying bits. The jet ski bits are... bleugh

X-Factor

People should really play Uncharted 2 first and Uncharted 1 last. Uncharted 1 is by far the worst game in the Collection.

I would give Uncharted 1 an 8/10 still.

Yeah we are playing it on Explorer difficulty. Not gonna lie, I hoped this would let us skip combat segments altogether... lol. We just hate the way chapters are designed and predictable. Explore this cool place, climb and solve some puzzles, listen to dialogue (all things we enjoy) and then comes the part where enemies start appearing out of nowhere and you're just stuck killing them before you can go on with the cool stuff. It's really getting annoying.

Edit: Great to hear that the sequels improve upon enemy encounter design!

Man, right now I'm going through Cat and Mouse in UC2 and I have to say, I vastly prefer UC1's enemies to 2. Headshots hardly register in comparison. I'd never be able to recreate my water room crushing video from 1 in 2. It's been annoying.

Finally managed to platinum all three games.

UC3 was still great, despite not being as good as 2. I enjoyed the story and characters more then the other's in the series. And I feel like the game was so close to nailing it's own style of pacing but missed it in some of the earlier missions. By far the biggest draw back from 2 was the lack of hit-reactions on enemies getting shot. That inclusion alone would have propelled UC3 to far greater heights for me.

Overall (scores revised for the remasters):
UC1 7.5/10
UC2 10/10
UC3 9/10

Revven

People should really play Uncharted 2 first and Uncharted 1 last. Uncharted 1 is by far the worst game in the Collection.

Uncharted 1 is not the worst by any means. That would mean it has worse pacing than UC3 and I just don't agree with that at all with its island setting.

Does it have too many enemy waves and combat in general? Yes. But that doesn't make it the worst game in the series. Despite having so many enemy encounters it still has superior pacing compared to UC3. And pacing is super crucial in these games.

The moment UC3's pacing breaks up (which is like after Chapter 12) is the moment where the game essentially turns into another UC1 but it's worse because the enemies don't have hit reactions so it's much, much less fun to play and slog through all the combat arenas that take place from 13 and on. That's half the game.

Whereas in UC1, despite the many combat sections, the pacing remains ultimately the same. And even towards the end of UC1 there's still some light puzzles that break up the combat which UC3 doesn't have any of whatsoever towards the end.

So, no, UC1 isn't the worst in this series at all. It does a lot more things correctly than UC3.

I would put them within the same bracket. They each have their flaws and good things about them.

UC1 and UC3 are both not-good. They can both sit in the "not-good games" tier. Pointless to argue which is worse. One was their first shot at it with a cell engine they didn't understand, and one was a disappointment that learned all the wrong lessons from UC2.

For good reason. Lazaravic isn't a satisfying boss battle.

It's not an issue specific to Uncharted though. Most of these story driven action-adventure games end poorly, most shooter campaigns in general. Unless the game has action game overtones like RE4 + Vanquish or goes for a more smartly built emotional ending like TLOU where the traditional boss encounter is subverted, the game usually doesn't stick the landing. Uncharted 3 had the right idea, but again I don't think the execution was all the way there.

"Suddenly, bullet sponge" is a really cheap and unfulfilling way to finish these kinds of games. The whole Lazaravic encounter should've probably been worked into
Shambhala collapsing and the escape sequence.
Just make one big cathartic final set piece and skip the mandatory final boss challenge. If the game prides itself on adventure movie scenarios and pacing, don't get bogged down in "Hit the thing three times to save the princess in another castle" syndrome.

Oh yeah, for sure.

Uncharted's boss fights were really unsatisfying. Run around in a circle, and hipfire. Two of them were just that.

So were the puzzles. They feel just like filler to create needed downtime from all the action. I wish the puzzles were a little more complicated, but I guess they don't want people getting stuck for too long and giving up.

Which is why I wish they'd have two difficulty settings: one for the shooting, one for the puzzles. All you really had to do in UC2 was consult your notebook.

I feel like they could create something much more satisfactory, that combines elements of platforming, small puzzle solving, and shooting for boss fights.

kyser73

Damn i'd forgotten just how fucking epic some of the camerawork in 3 is. Characterisation in the facial animation is superb as well.

just about to start my walk into the desert :):)

twisteh

It seems okay so far. I don't know if it gets a lot difficult later on though I'm only on chapter 5 haha
Checkpoints seem very reasonable

On chapter 20 now, glad I just tried Crushing as not had any problems really.

Have to say, I've really enjoyed the game, my only complaint really is that there are far too many firefights. I was hoping the game was going to follow the template of chapter 2, i loved the exploration there, i feel the game would benefit if it was more exploratory rather than shooting so often.

Bliddo

Got platinum on both UC1 and UC2.... I'm having troubles with UC3 though.
They really dropped the ball, the puzzles are pretty good, but the encounters are unbearable. The enemies don't react to bullets, they often spawn behind you, the weapons feel better but are so imprecise... ugh.

Ok, I stand corrected. Yesterday I completed the ship graveyard and the cruise ship, and I had a blast. The combat really started clicking and it felt great. So weird, i hated those levels on ps3.

RedAssedApe

Banned

sounds like the person you quoted is playing the games for the first time though. playing out of order doesn't really make any sense especially if you want to get the most out of the characters/story

Vaga

That's the worst advice you can give. People should appreciate U1 for what it is, an 8 fucking year old game. And then be completely blown away by the awesomeness of U2.

wouwie

And Uncharted collection done. One day, i should man up and try to finish the last 2 chapters of UC2 on hard though (i hated these 2 chapters so much that i skipped them entirely).

I'd rate UC2 as the best of the series and UC3 the worst but overall it was fun revisiting each game one more (last?) time. I'm ready for Uncharted 4 now and i can't wait.

JayB1920

I really enjoyed Uncharted 1 playing through it again but 2 is on an entire different level. Playing 3 at the moment and the pacing and puzzles are much better so far. I remember it getting bad later on though and most of the puzzles being frontloaded. I also can't stand the lack of hit feedback compared to the first 2 games though. It makes it feel like I am missing most of my shots.

sjay1994

So, since Uncharted 2 was my favorite of these games, and I didn't have much problems with crushing ... I said "why not, lets try brutal"

Holy hell, go fuck yourself bluepoint.

-Enemies kill you with 1-2 shots
-You get 3 bullets per pickup
-You still do the normal amount of damage

This was hands down the most unbalanced, bullshit difficulty mode I have ever seen, easily beating out Akumu from The Evil Within (thank god the load times here are faster than TEW)

I mean, I beat it... but I had to fucking corner shoot and basically do everything in my power to cheat the game. It also exposed flaws in U2 like enemies just spawning out of nothingness, which is extremely frustrating considering you can lose 5-6 minutes of progress because some dickhead spawns centimeters in front of you and executes you in a second. Not to mention the myriads of time I was spawn killed multiple times in a row.

Also, I don't know if they broke the last room before the fight with lazarevic, because before in the PS3 version you could just let the soldiers and guardians fight, and then fight the victor (usually the guardians), and Chloe and Elena would stay behind cover.

Now Chloe and Elena just instantly engage alerting the soldiers to you, the soldiers beat the guardians, and they keep coming. I don't know how to stop it exactly, but I had to kill 50 before the second wave of guardians come in.

All in all, fuck brutal. No way in hell am I doing it for U1 because that game doesn't hold up at all, and I am probably not going to replay 3, since it will just remind me of how disappointing that game is.

xrnzaaas

I'm about half way through Uncharted 3 and I have to say it's very very uneven. I don't mind that more levels than usual don't have any enemies and that they focus on exploration and the story (Yemen <3), but it's kinda frustrating when you have to solve like two or three big puzzles in a row. A few levels later you get the opposite of that with a huge battle with annoying respawning enemies (you know which one I'm talking about ;)).

Just picked this up. Drake's Fortune scrubs up very well, damn. I forgot that the gunplay and encounters are actually fairly satisfying. The story beats are great, as are the atmosphere, but overall it's not as good as my nostalgic conception of it was. I forgot how the game is really 90% combat and the waves go on too long. They really got better at pacing the games with the next two.

dLMN8R

So I've played through Uncharted 1, 2, and am almost done with 3.

And....I really don't fucking get it.

The set pieces? Amazing.
The characters? Fantastic.
The acting and stories? Campy as hell but enjoyable.
The technical prowess? Absolutely astonishing and unbelievable what they pulled off on the PS3.
The puzzles? Pretty great for the most part.

But the combat? Good god fucking damn is this the most frustrating, most poorly-playing series of third-person shooters I've ever played.

Uncharted 1 is the worst overall, but 2 and 3 aren't much better. And 3 somehow out-does 1 in its terribleness toward the end of the game when you're stuck in the sandstorm.

Toward the end of Uncharted 1 I set the difficulty to Easy instead of Normal and the game improved 1000%. I tried 2 and 3 on Normal to start too to see if they improved the balance of the encounters, but nope nope nope once I started dying due to unfair and un-fun situations over and over and over again....nope, back to Easy.

But even on Easy!! Uncharted 3 is a terribly playing piece of shit toward the end of it!!

An overwhelming and ridiculous number of enemies that's never fun to fight against. Grenades plopping in from everywhere while guys flank you endlessly. Other guys sniping you from hundreds of feet away despite it being impossible to see them through a sand storm. Add enemies with rocket launchers and grenade launchers on top of it. And then there's the heavy machine gunners who take a billion bullets to take them down. But there's little place to take cover from them??? Oh yeah, and there are armored machine guns firing at you from jeeps and you need to climb some towers to get rocket launchers to take them out. I had a grenade launcher but of course that wouldn't work....I needed rocket launchers because fuck you that's why.

But before the encounters began, Drake of course gives some pithy line of "let's do this quietly". So I try to take down enemies quietly. I sneak up on someone and circle my camera around 3 times to make sure no one sees me....I snap his neck.....BAM EVERYONE IS NOW AWARE OF ME AND SHOOTING AT ME SIMULTANEOUSLY.

Stealth is just fucking broken in these games. Ugh.

In the first Uncharted, I forgave them. In the 2nd game, they improved, so I welcomed it even though it was still awful for the most part. The third game, I know it was done by the "B" team but I would have expected them to learn lessons from 1 and 2.

At this point, I'm just worried about Uncharted 4. Good lord do I hope they completely overhaul every single bit about how the combat encounters work.

At this point, I'm just worried about Uncharted 4. Good lord do I hope they completely overhaul every single bit about how the combat encounters work.

I do think you're being a bit over the top throwing UC2 under the bus as well (it seriously has some of the best design and pacing of any TPS from chapters 4 to 22), but unless they do the impossible and manage to screw up encounter design/gunplay to UC3 levels (which, honestly, takes effort), there's almost no way UC4 won't be 100x better than any of these games where combat is concerned.

dr_rus

But the combat? Good god fucking damn is this the most frustrating, most poorly-playing series of third-person shooters I've ever played.

So I'm guessing that you've played them as a Gears of War clones or something. UC's combat is completely different from a "regular" cover based TPS, it's forces you to move around all the time, find advantage points, look for stuff hidden around, swap the strategies on the go. It's a much much faster game than most other TPSes and you have to play it differently to not die all the time.

Liamc723

The set pieces? Amazing.
The technical prowess? Absolutely astonishing and unbelievable what they pulled off on the PS3.

Uncharted 1 is the worst overall, but 2 and 3 aren't much better. And 3 somehow out-does 1 in its terribleness toward the end of the game when you're stuck in the sandstorm.

Toward the end of Uncharted 1 I set the difficulty to Easy instead of Normal and the game improved 1000%. I tried 2 and 3 on Normal to start too to see if they improved the balance of the encounters, but nope nope nope once I started dying due to unfair and un-fun situations over and over and over again....nope, back to Easy.

But even on Easy!! Uncharted 3 is a terribly playing piece of shit toward the end of it!!

An overwhelming and ridiculous number of enemies that's never fun to fight against. Grenades plopping in from everywhere while guys flank you endlessly. Other guys sniping you from hundreds of feet away despite it being impossible to see them through a sand storm. Add enemies with rocket launchers and grenade launchers on top of it. And then there's the heavy machine gunners who take a billion bullets to take them down. But there's little place to take cover from them??? Oh yeah, and there are armored machine guns firing at you from jeeps and you need to climb some towers to get rocket launchers to take them out. I had a grenade launcher but of course that wouldn't work....I needed rocket launchers because fuck you that's why.

But before the encounters began, Drake of course gives some pithy line of "let's do this quietly". So I try to take down enemies quietly. I sneak up on someone and circle my camera around 3 times to make sure no one sees me....I snap his neck.....BAM EVERYONE IS NOW AWARE OF ME AND SHOOTING AT ME SIMULTANEOUSLY.

In the first Uncharted, I forgave them. In the 2nd game, they improved, so I welcomed it even though it was still awful for the most part. The third game, I know it was done by the "B" team but I would have expected them to learn lessons from 1 and 2.

You struggled with Uncharted on normal?

I think you're just kinda bad at playing video games.

doomquake

same here. wife is a huge fan of the series but hates the shooting. and i hate having to help with these sections because its totally lame.

dLMN8R

I expected that no one would agree with my opinions but I was so fucking frustrated with the final chapters of Uncharted 3 I simply had to rant somewhere to get it off my chest.

And yeah yeah, "you must just suck at games!", what-the-fuck-ever. I don't have any problems like this with Gears of War on Hardcore or any other shooters, and online I can always hold my own pretty well. I have no problems whatsoever aiming quickly and precisely either.

No, my problems are with just how utterly imbalanced and unfair most encounters are. Stealth is a joke no matter how many times they ask you to be stealthy, since enemies are unnaturally aware of what happens 2,000ft away. Grenades casually plop in over and over again from enemies who are literally two pixels tall they're so far away. And for the enemies who can't throw grenades, they have rocket launchers or sniper rifles which are uncannily accurate.

And people always know exactly where you are no matter how much you try to sneak around them in cover.

It's just...ugh. Thank god every other part of those games is so incredible.

• Good lord the train ride in Uncharted 2!
  • The burning building in Uncharted 3!
  • The whole shipyard-to-ship sequence in Uncharted 3! AMAZING!!
  • The gorgeous hidding cities in each game!

D23

Good lord i dont think i can continue playing Uncharted 1, the gameplay is so boring!! it was different back then when i played it the first time but yeah, going to skip this and play the second one.

dmshaposv

Im hopeful for uncharted 4 as it is being developed by TLOU team.That game has very refined combat.

The control in all three uncharted games feels janky as fuck.

dLMN8R

I found a video showcasing exactly what I'm talking about:

https://youtu.be/NupFTeallBA?t=73

Where he snapped that guy's neck and there are two guys off in the distance? In my game, over and over again upon multiple attempts, that alerted everyone to my presence immediately. No way to maintain stealth.

Then the machinegunner at 2:00? Same thing. The truck there is not enough cover to run from it. Even circling around it - there are too many other guys to be able to handle all of this without replaying it over and over again to scum it until you can finally take out everyone.

And throughout, there are enemies you can't even see perfectly firing at you.

Then the entire sequence from 3:00 on was just infuriating.

Curufinwe

I expected that no one would agree with my opinions but I was so fucking frustrated with the final chapters of Uncharted 3 I simply had to rant somewhere to get it off my chest.

And yeah yeah, "you must just suck at games!", what-the-fuck-ever. I don't have any problems like this with Gears of War on Hardcore or any other shooters

I personally found GoW 1 much more annoying on Hardcore than any Uncharted game on Hard. It's because the checkpoints were too far apart.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Im hopeful for uncharted 4 as it is being developed by TLOU team.That game has very refined combat.

The control in all three uncharted games feels janky as fuck.
The movement is a bit loose due to the animation system but that's causing you actual trouble in progressing, that's on you. The aiming and traversal controls are totally fine.

Rated-G

So, since Uncharted 2 was my favorite of these games, and I didn't have much problems with crushing ... I said "why not, lets try brutal"

Holy hell, go fuck yourself bluepoint.

-Enemies kill you with 1-2 shots
-You get 3 bullets per pickup
-You still do the normal amount of damage

This was hands down the most unbalanced, bullshit difficulty mode I have ever seen, easily beating out Akumu from The Evil Within (thank god the load times here are faster than TEW)

I mean, I beat it... but I had to fucking corner shoot and basically do everything in my power to cheat the game. It also exposed flaws in U2 like enemies just spawning out of nothingness, which is extremely frustrating considering you can lose 5-6 minutes of progress because some dickhead spawns centimeters in front of you and executes you in a second. Not to mention the myriads of time I was spawn killed multiple times in a row.

Also, I don't know if they broke the last room before the fight with lazarevic, because before in the PS3 version you could just let the soldiers and guardians fight, and then fight the victor (usually the guardians), and Chloe and Elena would stay behind cover.

Now Chloe and Elena just instantly engage alerting the soldiers to you, the soldiers beat the guardians, and they keep coming. I don't know how to stop it exactly, but I had to kill 50 before the second wave of guardians come in.

All in all, fuck brutal. No way in hell am I doing it for U1 because that game doesn't hold up at all, and I am probably not going to replay 3, since it will just remind me of how disappointing that game is.

Having done the first 2 games on Brutal, can confirm that 3 is probably the most bullshit of the trilogy as far as Brutal difficulty goes. A sample of my experience with it last night. (Has my commentary, so you may mute preemptively if you're not about that.)

Rated-G

Haha I laughed, you stayed calm enough. I am not starting with Brutal, Crushing was enough for me :p

Honestly I think I was just tired. It was like 5 AM, and Brutal is just so unfair it's silly, so it's hard to even care enough to get frustrated with it. Not sure if that makes sense?

(Also I just realized the volume levels are terrible in that video and Share Factory desynched the mic audio and the game video/audio by a few seconds on export, so that's unfortunate...)

Game4life

Banned

The set pieces? Amazing.

No offense but most likely you are pretty bad at third person shooters or you play stop and pop games exclusively when it comes to shooters.

Top Bottom