• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNCHARTED |OT| The Master Thief Collection

UC3's final boss is QTE melee garbage. At least Lavaravic is dynamic, leverages the core mechanics, has a progression of elements (grenades, reduced resin), demands a unique skill set with those mechanics (quickly stringing together nonstop climbing and shooting according to accurate spacial awareness), and contains no real "cheap" elements (this fight has adds written all over it and I honestly don't know how they held themselves back from using them).

Totally not saying it's amazing or anything, but for an Uncharted boss I think it's inoffensive, fair, and not too frustrating. On a scale of Bed of Chaos to Senator Armstrong, I'd say it's about a King Dodongo.

UC3's QTEs are garbage, you're right, that's why I specified they had the right idea. If they could've worked a more in depth hand to hand system into that scenario (and if the prior shootouts were any good whatsoever) it would've easily been the best ending sequence of the games. Sometimes all these devs have to do is ratchet up the intensity and diversity of elements already present in the campaign. I don't need a random closed off arena encounter with a "Boss" and "adds" to let me know the game is finishing. Pace and design the game correctly and it could finish with a single swift gunshot that's more satisfying than a 10 minute endurance challenge. Remember Call of Duty 4? (not that CoD is some bastion of great game design)

And btw, I don't mean "cheap" as in unfairly difficult, I mean cheap as in unflattering, basic, boring, standard, of low quality. It's exactly the kind of boss you'd think Uncharted would have because of course another shooter finishes with a spongey "shoot the things" boss. It's more demanding than UC3, yeah, but I'd put them on the same level of "meh."

I don't need a random closed off arena encounter with a "Boss" and "adds" to let me know the game is finishing. Pace and design the game correctly and it could finish with a single swift gunshot that's more satisfying than a 10 minute endurance challenge. Remember Call of Duty 4? (not that CoD is some bastion of great game design)

Perhaps my love for gamey-ass boss fights is blinding me. Hell, I would have given him a goddamn life bar. And it would have been Crash Bandicoot style where his name would have been part of the goddamn life bar and gradually disappear when he takes damage because that really does it for me for some reason and GOD NET WRECKER WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME I NEED HELP

...anyway, this should make for great Battlefront chat ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

as far as "shoot the things" bosses go can we at least agree it's above Dead Space's because you actually have to move

edit - I think I'm coming at it from a more isolated standpoint, like just looking at the boss fight itself out of context. From a more macro point of view I agree that the whole "arena fight" thing is unnecessary and out of nowhere. Certainly at odds with how the rest of the game presents itself.

edit - I think I'm coming at it from a more isolated standpoint, like just looking at the boss fight itself out of context. From a more macro point of view I agree that the whole "arena fight" thing is unnecessary and out of nowhere. Certainly at odds with how the rest of the game presents itself.

Yes, exactly, this is what I mean.

I'd go so far as saying traditionally gamey boss fights have no place in semi-realistic shooters. They do too much harm to the pacing, to the established rules of the world, to the mechanic feedback, and to narrative consistency. The way I see these kinds of campaigns, they're on a tight pacing trajectory that should build and build to a moment or series of moments which cap off the whole journey. Once you introduce a room or level that goes away from the established gameplay loop without being clever or satisfying, the whole sequence goes off the rails. Shooter devs have a tendency to stick with bosses better suited for action games (or character action-shooter hybrids), or platformers, or SHMUPS, when simply creating a climactic scenario that stays consistent to the game's identity would be better suited and more memorable.

It's not facing off against Lazaravic I think is a problem, it's the way they do it that feels off. I hope this delay of UC4 they said was (in part) to get the ending right is also about how the ending plays, not just the script.

Revven

Some more clips for ya'll, this time Uncharted 3 showing how possible stealth is in Syria and partially the infamous ship graveyard.

Syria Stealth 1

Syria Stealth 2

Syria Stealth 3

Ship Graveyard (not really stealthy as I mess up at one point and die a lot because of where it checkpointed me but it's a proof of concept and showing you what you can stealth).

These are useful for Crushing/Brutal runs as well. I'll be uploading more UC3 tomorrow.

Daggoth

Only skimmed the last 5 pages for so. If anyone is keeping score, feel free to add my name to the "brutal difficulty is complete and utter horseshit" tally please.

I got it almost legitimately for UC1 (water room glitch and one battle skipped in chapter 13), and legitimately for UC2 just now. I am not fucking doing it again for UC3. It's getting glitched like the 10% of all people on psnprofiles or wherever the fuck else are glitching it and I feel absolutely no guilt about that anymore. Just ... the amount of SHIT that you need to do to get through this (corner glitching, cycling weapons to maximise ammo, waiting, waiting some more, playing with spawn points, enemies are laser accurate and never seem to reload, getting sniped by M4s halfway across the map etc etc) is absolutely absurd, and it just sucks all of the fun out of this game.

I'd love to know if anyone at Bluepoint / ND was actually supervising the tester when they were testing it.

If you are trying it legitimately, the only bit of advice I'll give is, if you are caught at an insta-kill checkpoint (eg this), try blindfiring as you spawn and run for cover. Doesn't always work but sometimes the enemies flinch and stop firing for a moment.

holygeesus

Banned
Uncharted 3 somehow manages to get more annoying as you progress. I've never completed it, giving up on it back in the PS3 days, and I've reached the same point and I'm giving up again. The ship level is just rubbish. Rubbish.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Uncharted 3 somehow manages to get more annoying as you progress. I've never completed it, giving up on it back in the PS3 days, and I've reached the same point and I'm giving up again. The ship level is just rubbish. Rubbish.
I'm really curious how you aproach those combat encounters. Do you stay behind cover all the time?

holygeesus

Banned
I'm really curious how you aproach those combat encounters. Do you stay behind cover all the time?

I actually did stick with it in the end, so excuse my rage-post before. The sequence in the ballroom you have no choice but to stay behind cover, as you have 3 snipers above you, a grenade launcher in between them, and heavy armoured shotgunning dudes dropping down who sneak up on you, who you simply can't take on head on and win.

I had to stay in cover, then perform hand to hand combat on them as they approached, but it was more luck than judgement, and you had to hope nobody spammed a grenade to your location in the process. UC3 is chock full of these kinds of encounters.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
For good reason. Lazaravic isn't a satisfying boss battle.
I liked the fight with him. It was fun, dynamic and the environment it took place in was cool. The end of the fight also gave us a rare moment of brevity that foreshadowed what would be further touched upon in the third game. I finished the game three times (last on crushing) and I don't have any bad memories of that fight.

sensi97

Ship Graveyard (not really stealthy as I mess up at one point and die a lot because of where it checkpointed me but it's a proof of concept and showing you what you can stealth).

These are useful for Crushing/Brutal runs as well. I'll be uploading more UC3 tomorrow.

Another easy way to do the ship graveyard (on brutal) is to go to the mini-gun on the opposite side of the level (near the next checkpoint).
You have a lot of cover, safe from enemies' bullets and they try to melee (not shoot) if they reach you on the platform.

So, I've just started Uncharted 3.... I think I'm enjoying it more than Uncharted 2.

There's something more satisfying about the combat. I don't know if it's outright a better game, but there's something more satisfying about shooting guns.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
I keep getting caught in museum section of Uncharted 2, at the beggining.
Am I supposed to just gest past them or take them out?

I just finished Uncharted 1 and MAN that game was boring.

Holy shit.

I tought so also. Expected a lot more from it.

foxbeldin

I keep getting caught in museum section of Uncharted 2, at the beggining.
Am I supposed to just gest past them or take them out?

I tought so also. Expected a lot more from it.

I took them all out to search for treasures but you can just get the ones in your way.

SomTervo

tumblr_inline_nwyctw0r8K1scrnsa_500.gif

forever alone on this issue

Yeah, I sincerely didn't think it was that bad either. (UC2 final boss.)

Perhaps you die once or twice figuring out the game language - that you have to use the blue stuff to stun him and keep moving away from OHKOs - but after that clicks it's quite clear exactly what you have to do and the game's near-instant respawns make it totally not a pain in the arse.

So, I've just started Uncharted 3.... I think I'm enjoying it more than Uncharted 2.

There's something more satisfying about the combat. I don't know if it's outright a better game, but there's something more satisfying about shooting guns.

The combat is definitely better in Uncharted 3, but they totally fuck it with the encounters. There are countless bits where the combat being better doesn't matter because you can't use it properly due to bad design.

I think this perspective mainly stems from Crushing difficulty where a LOT of the fights verge on 'cheap' rather than 'challenging'.

Raxus

I actually did stick with it in the end, so excuse my rage-post before. The sequence in the ballroom you have no choice but to stay behind cover, as you have 3 snipers above you, a grenade launcher in between them, and heavy armoured shotgunning dudes dropping down who sneak up on you, who you simply can't take on head on and win.

I had to stay in cover, then perform hand to hand combat on them as they approached, but it was more luck than judgement, and you had to hope nobody spammed a grenade to your location in the process. UC3 is chock full of these kinds of encounters.

That's a bad one but there are far worse late in the game. Drake vs
4 Djinn and one guy
and the sand storm encounter are horrific on Brutal. So is any wall climbing shootout (thank god there are only 2). These encounters really weren't balanced well for brutal.

I have made a list of awful encounters on brutal lol.

I am the only one who noticed they downgraded the snow in uncharted 2 Remastered?! The ps3 version had real depht if you walked on it... in the remstered version its completly gone and replaced by a super weak looking effect!!

The combat is definitely better in Uncharted 3, but they totally fuck it with the encounters. There are countless bits where the combat being better doesn't matter because you can't use it properly due to bad design.

I think this perspective mainly stems from Crushing difficulty where a LOT of the fights verge on 'cheap' rather than 'challenging'.

I don't think I've reached any of the combat encounters just yet, but I know the ones you potentially mean I think that's where my opinion of the game changes (and will realign with the PS3 versions).

I started Uncharted 1 last night, got about an hour and a half in and dropped it. Didn't find the story engaging and the encounters did nothing for me

Jumped into Uncharted 2 and I really enjoy it. I'm a bit over 60% through the story. As I get more used to how the game wants me to play I find myself enjoying it a lot more, though I have had some issues controlling Drake where he really doesn't do what I want him to. Mid-game train section was some bullshit at times (Oh, you want me to roll off the train right?) lol

Uncharted Collection completed.

1. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
  2. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
  3. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception.

Hopefully Uncharted 4: A Thief's End is just two doses of Uncharted 2.

Uncharted 3 is my least favorite Uncharted simply because I did not care for the villains, the enemies at times were overwhelmingly annoying, and though it has very nice set pieces, Uncharted 2 is the cream of the crop in the Uncharted universe.

wouwie

I remember being totally indifferent towards UC3. I played it once, rated it a 7/10. I was curious to see if the years in between could have changed my mind on it. But i feel exactly the same. I just arrived at Syria and it just doesn't feel all that fun tbh. In fact, i think i'll leave it at that for now. The only part about UC3 that i'd like to replay at some point is the shipyard, which was the best part of UC3.

It has been fun revisiting UC 1 and 2 though and it's worth buying the remastered version for those 2 games. I'd rank the series UC2 >= 1 >>>>>>>>> 3.

I can't wait for Uncharted 4. The development on that one seems rocky to say the least but i hope they get back to UC2 quality and end this great series on a high note.

Keihart

Yes, exactly, this is what I mean.

I'd go so far as saying traditionally gamey boss fights have no place in semi-realistic shooters. They do too much harm to the pacing, to the established rules of the world, to the mechanic feedback, and to narrative consistency. The way I see these kinds of campaigns, they're on a tight pacing trajectory that should build and build to a moment or series of moments which cap off the whole journey. Once you introduce a room or level that goes away from the established gameplay loop without being clever or satisfying, the whole sequence goes off the rails. Shooter devs have a tendency to stick with bosses better suited for action games (or character action-shooter hybrids), or platformers, or SHMUPS, when simply creating a climactic scenario that stays consistent to the game's identity would be better suited and more memorable.

It's not facing off against Lazaravic I think is a problem, it's the way they do it that feels off. I hope this delay of UC4 they said was (in part) to get the ending right is also about how the ending plays, not just the script.

If there is a final boss on Uncharted 4 it should be a chase setpiece secuence that ends with a cool standoff, i think this might be the case with they wording about taking their time with the ending.

Since the game is about playing set pieces, im cool if the last boss is a really cool one.

Roufianos

Just finished the ship part of U3. I absolutely loved it!

I have to admit though, the reticule for some weapons is absolutely abysmal in 3. Playing these back to back for the first time has made me realise.

JP

Finished the third game last night and it's still my favourite of the three games although the other two are very close for me.

I still find that the aiming in the third game is a bit iffy even though it's supposed to have been fixed. It doesn't ruin the experience for me although I would like an option to unify the controls across all three games.

I do feel is a more intimate and "grown up" experience than the other two although there are some poorly judged difficulty spikes in this game. I played through all three on Normal and I imagine I'll return to all three again to get the platinum trophies.

A fantastic collection and really amazing work done by Bluepoint.

Everyone mentions they need to turn the sensitivity way up. I actually had to lower it a bit.

Is it just about jerking the reticle faster for these games? I feel like my aim would be all over the place if I put it all the way up.

twisteh

Playing this on the first time. Started on crushing as I want the plat, hopefully isn't ridiculously difficult? Maybe someone could clarify haha.

Only played for a couple of hours, but really enjoying it so far. Loved just exploring in chapter 2, and has the usual Naughty Dog polish. Can't wait to play again later.

nib95

Banned
Playing this on the first time. Started on crushing as I want the plat, hopefully isn't ridiculously difficult? Maybe someone could clarify haha.

Only played for a couple of hours, but really enjoying it so far. Loved just exploring in chapter 2, and has the usual Naughty Dog polish. Can't wait to play again later.

That is a bad idea lol. Crushing can be very frustrating. As a first time experience, I wouldn't recommend it. It'll probably sour your opinion of the game somewhat.

twisteh

That is a bad idea lol. Crushing can be very frustrating. As a first time experience, I wouldn't recommend it. It'll probably sour your opinion of the game somewhat.
I did consider this, but I thought fuck it haha, if it gets too tedious can difficultly be changed mid game?

sam777

Started UC2 today and my word the graphics are a massive improvement over the first one. I forgot how big the diffence was when I played these 5 years ago.

for 100% collection you need runs i thnk

1.crushed + those 3 speed runs for platinum
2.brutal with an option of that trick one kill + unlimited ammo
3. continuous speed run + droughnut drake in 1 run

Replicant

Memorization. I assume this is the cargo Bay section?

Enemies first appear in front of you, then the second wave from your back. Then left side then front again and finally right side.

You basically need to be quick and not let any enemies from one wave got carried over to other waves or you'll be in deep shit.

Bliddo

Got platinum on both UC1 and UC2.... I'm having troubles with UC3 though.
They really dropped the ball, the puzzles are pretty good, but the encounters are unbearable. The enemies don't react to bullets, they often spawn behind you, the weapons feel better but are so imprecise... ugh.

Raxus

How long did that take you?

It depends how skilled you are at crushing. Most of the strategies still apply with some small tweaks to take into account how squishy you are. Over all it is manageable in most areas. There are a handful of areas that will make you tear your hair out in each of the games. I'd estimate a solid 8-10ish hours to beat brutal.

100% on all games.

If anyone needs tips for crushing or brutal don't be afraid to ask.

Woohoo, Crushing completed on all games w/ all trophies in same run. What a wild ride, can't wait for Uncharted 4, from what we've seen it actually looks pretty different from previous games so hope I won't be burnt out. Now to try and do the speedrun trophies, anyone got any good tips for any of the games/strategies/guides perhaps? Cheers

Raxus

Woohoo, Crushing completed on all games w/ all trophies in same run. What a wild ride, can't wait for Uncharted 4, from what we've seen it actually looks pretty different from previous games so hope I won't be burnt out. Now to try and do the speedrun trophies, anyone got any good tips for any of the games/strategies/guides perhaps? Cheers

Play on easy. Skip fights you can skip (none for the selected chapters I believe). Since they are in select chapters most of them are fairly easy to get. You just have to be on point on the gold trophy times. UC2's gold trophy for time is the only one I had to repeat. You will like clear the bronze and silver ones with minutes to spare.

Top Bottom