• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Battlechili

Banned
Guys, play this game. It's only ten bucks. You won't regret it.

Best order (if you really insist on getting all endings):
Genocide (kill everything), then Neutral (kill some things, although if you want the best Neutral ending, spare as many bosses as you can), then Pacifist (kill NOTHING).
No no, don't do this. Genocide makes it impossible to get the best ending if you do it first. The game remembers everything you do, and deleting game files doesn't fix this. If you do anything, do not do genocide until you've done everything else. The genocide reset
requires you to give up your soul

Scher

No no, don't do this. Genocide makes it impossible to get the best ending if you do it first. The game remembers everything you do, and deleting game files doesn't fix this. If you do anything, do not do genocide until you've done everything else. The genocide reset

From what I understand, it is possible to do a full reset if you just get rid of the Undertale folder that's in the appdata folder. I've been reading about people basically doing hard resets that way in order to play the game fresh again.

Played this for an hour or so last night. Demo area was really good, but it kinda dropped off after that. The
Font
skeletons humor didn't really hit, and the pacing fell apart.

It picks up again not long after that.

Part of what won me over was
calling Papyrus to see what he'd have to say about regions I've already visited
and
the way you go about making friends with the very next character. It's adorbs

Almost at the ending, and I went full pacifist from the very beginning. Never used the attack command once. I'm very curious to know how this game would play out if I chose to befriend one antagonist-type monster, but not the other, or to slay one and let the other live. There's so many combinations, and it's made very clear that
everybody knows everybody else in this monster land, and word travels fast

Battlechili

Banned
From what I understand, it is possible to do a full reset if you just get rid of the Undertale folder that's in the appdata folder. I've been reading about people basically doing hard resets that way in order to play the game fresh again.
If you
sell your soul
, this doesn't work. No one knows where the data for that is stored.

Whew, all done with my first playthrough. All pacifist
except Flowey ofc fuckkkkkkk that guy

Christ. The ending wore me out so I don't think I'll be able to jump right back into it to go for a different ending but hooooly fuck that was a good game. I can pretty easily say that if anyone is on the fence, but thinks it looks like the kind of game they might enjoy, you'll easily get your money's worth.

Damn.

I saved
Flowey
, pacifist ending.

There's more.

Hoooooooooooly moly. You have no idea.

It's also much more blatantly Earthbound than anything before, but with quite the original twist.
Kid gloves are off.
No pun intended. I think.

Kirlia

Banned

I apologize for spreading misinformation! T_T

Although
you'd have to be one hell of a monster to go from Pacifist to Genocide.

aaaand almost done.

Yes, you will want to
spare Flowey
. The epilogue and true final end that happens after that is absurdly adorable and amazing.

Cowie

Okay, I just finished this and..

Wow. This is my favorite video game in a long time. I say this after loving MGSV, putting tons of hours into rocket league and shortly before that playing the hell out of Witcher 3. This year alone has been fantastic for me, and with all that said Undertale is still my favorite. I'm a fan of the mother series, so the heavy influences there are greatly appreciated. Even playing as a pacifist, the combat was still entertaining. I loved the dialogue, the characters are charming and lovable, and the world is surprisingly alive. I guess I can see how this game might not be for everyone, but it is so relentlessly for me that I have a hard time believing it. I'm already looking for friends I can buy this game for on the promise that they'll play it.

What a great game.

Dinjoralo

So, apparently there's a great big mystery lurking in the game,
the vanishing of Dr. Wing Din Gaster. It apparently involves editing your save file and renaming the "fun" value to "Fun", then setting that to various numbers.

So, apparently there's a great big mystery lurking in the game,
the vanishing of Dr. Wing Din Gaster. It apparently involves editing your save file and renaming the "fun" value to "Fun", then setting that to various numbers.

TRUE END SPOILERS!

Regarding the W.D. Gaster secret
entry number seventeen
;

There's a line about
"WHAT DO YOU TWO THINK"
. Speculation elsewhere suggests it's
the font skeletons
but considering it's sandwiched between
the two entries that mention Flowey
, wouldn't the
"you two"
refer to
Asriel and the human our avatar is named after for most of the game?

There's probably more secrets like this out there, but that's the least jump to conclusions bit of reasoning I can think of.

Finally, so, uh, what happened to Dr. Gaster?
"Vanished without a trace", "Shattered across time and space"... "I'm holding a piece of him right here"? Are we going to have to go body part hunting for this fellow?

EDIT: (DEMO GENOCIDE END SPOILERS) Last Gaster bit. If you read his name as Wing Ding Aster, an Aster is a sunflower; they can have yellow petals with a black center. This actually sounds quite a bit like
the modified appearance of Flowey in the demo version's manual after the player completes a genocide run. Just a (sun?)flower with a pitch black center
. Of course I am not a plant expert, and "aster" has a fairly broad definition as it's referring to the family of Asteraceae plants.

rrc2soft

I also finished the game. The True Full Pacifist ending
was too sweet for my taste, but I think it ended the way it needed to end - and I still liked the game a lot.
. Having said that, I'll not play the game again to see the neutral or the genocide endings -
I'll watch them on youtube so I don't feel like a monster :p

Just got what I think was the proper true ending. It definitely lived up to all I expected it to be, and turned out be my favourite game of the year thus far.

The Frisk stuff was weird though. Not sure they explained that as well as it could have, nor do I think the twist contributed much. I'll have to look into it some more and find out what I've missed.

The Frisk stuff was weird though. Not sure they explained that as well as it could have, nor do I think the twist contributed much. I'll have to look into it some more and find out what I've missed.

Just saw the genocide ending changes through Youtube. It's explained a little bit in the genocide path, though in a way that presents more questions than answers. True ending provides more of the facts and the story reveals, genocide just makes me seriously wonder about one character.

Genocide path spoilers start here;
the Fallen Child is a real piece of work.

Is the Fallen Child intended to be a satire of people who play to be a piece of shit in open world video games?

Genocide path clearly goes out of its way to make you feel the absolute worst, and the action you must take to get another ending after going down that path permanently spoils your game from having a true happy ending.

Genocide AND true path spoilers start here;
That still doesn't explain why the Fallen Child is within Frisk. Maybe the Gaster sideplot explains this a little more, somehow, but there's no reason why landing on a patch of flowers should leave us prone to this psychopathic demon thing.

Or maybe it's not the fall, maybe it really all comes down to our actions? Fallen Child is effectively this game's dark side of the force, a tempting power with painful, awful consequences if you choose to pursue it.

Maybe Gaster's darkness experiments turned Fallen Child into this thing?

Multiple spoiler tags because I'm tapping heavily into the two "extreme" endings for speculation, and there are clearly still questions left in this game.

Cowie

Edit: Okie so the offer window is closed for now I guess? But it might come back? I really love this game. That was the takeaway from this post.

Hi! If you're reading this and either on the fence about grabbing Undertale or not in a position monetarily to do so, send me a PM! I'd like to buy it for you.
(I'm in the US, so I don't know if that affects who I can buy it for?)
((Also I'm not actually rich so this offer can't last forever))

I would take that offer If I didn't feel bad about it afterwards but that's really cool of you!

Cowie

I would take that offer If I didn't feel bad about it afterwards but that's really cool of you!

Nonsense! I genuinely love this game enough that I want to spread it. I want to buy more copies of this game. No pressure, but the offer still stands!

More genocide speculation and theoryrizing.

There's also a moment in the genocide ending where
Flowey (speaking as Asriel?) openly wonders how the Fallen Child's body was moved from the "basement", speculating that it was to give them a "proper burial".

There are rooms beneath the entrance to New Home, but it all sits alongside a city that spans as far as the eye can see. There's also a sequence of coffins not far from the throne room you fight the king in, but they represent the six children killed for their souls. Nothing quite fits the description of a basement there.

So what basement is Flowey talking about? Is this the game's hint that the Fallen Child was brought to the basement of the Lab?

Maybe a few too many jumps to conclusions there, but that's my theory about the reference to "YOU TWO". Flowey and Fallen Child are the most evil creatures in the game, and if they were infused with a bit of extra darkness on top of that jolt of determination and lack of soul, it would explain some of their horrific powers.

Battlechili

Banned
I beat the game. I'm sad now. It was a wonderful game with a lot of heart. But I have trouble finding it in me to replay the game. The game at the end after doing the best ending gives you the option to restart, but in the context of the game a character explains that the world will be reset, and all the characters who you saved will be put back as if nothing had ever happened. All that happiness that the characters finally have, would be gone. Worse yet, Not only can I not bring myself to do this, but even if I managed to, I don't think I could do a full murder route. To kill all the friends I've made....It seems like too much.

aaaaaaaaaaa I got the true ending. Glad I did Pacifist the first time so I could just reload my last save rather than have to start over (because, despite how much I enjoyed the game, doing the exact same stuff over again immediately after I did it once would've been a bit trying.)

I mean, I was expecting a darn good game based off of what I'd heard about it, but it's completely blown past my expectations. Really, really glad I decided to give it a shot! Wish I could've supported it when it was a Kickstarter, but I'll be picking up the soundtrack for sure.

Now I need to see if I have it in me to watch parts of a Genocide run...

Hi! If you're reading this and either on the fence about grabbing Undertale or not in a position monetarily to do so, send me a PM! I'd like to buy it for you.
(I'm in the US, so I don't know if that affects who I can buy it for?)
((Also I'm not actually rich so this offer can't last forever))

I was on the fence about buying Undertale because I have limited funds atm, but between how good the game looks, the really positive impressions and your willingness to pay it forward like that, I bit the bullet. I figure if someone feels that strongly about the game it has to have some merit.

The game doesn't seem to be too long, so I'll try to power through it over the weekend and post my feelings then.

More genocide speculation and theoryrizing.

There's also a moment in the genocide ending where
Flowey (speaking as Asriel?) openly wonders how the Fallen Child's body was moved from the "basement", speculating that it was to give them a "proper burial".

There are rooms beneath the entrance to New Home, but it all sits alongside a city that spans as far as the eye can see. There's also a sequence of coffins not far from the throne room you fight the king in, but they represent the six children killed for their souls. Nothing quite fits the description of a basement there.

So what basement is Flowey talking about? Is this the game's hint that the Fallen Child was brought to the basement of the Lab?

Maybe a few too many jumps to conclusions there, but that's my theory about the reference to "YOU TWO". Flowey and Fallen Child are the most evil creatures in the game, and if they were infused with a bit of extra darkness on top of that jolt of determination and lack of soul, it would explain some of their horrific powers.
Speculation and end-game spoilers
I think the room with the caskets near the throne room is probably the basement. I believe the hallway below is preceded by a bunch of stairs. Considering the white(Correction: RED) hearted coffin had the name of the Fallen Child on it too, I'd say that Flowey was expecting the kid to still be in her coffin. If you examine the coffin at the last possible second before triggering the credits in the good ending, you also get an extra snippet of text saying that you found bandages you didn't notice before, or something similar along those lines. Not quite sure what it alludes to though.

Speculation and end-game spoilers
I think the room with the caskets near the throne room is probably the basement. I believe the hallway below is preceded by a bunch of stairs. Considering the white hearted coffin had the name of the Fallen Child on it too, I'd say that Flowey was expecting the kid to still be in her coffin. If you examine the coffin at the last possible second before triggering the credits in the good ending, you also get an extra snippet of text saying that you found bandages you didn't notice before, or something similar along those lines. Not quite sure what it alludes to though.

Ah, I forgot that the
red hearted coffin had the Fallen Child's name on it. Though I don't remember a white hearted coffin.

The exact text when you read the coffin during the true end is "The coffin is empty...? You didn't notice before, but there's something like mummy wrappings at the bottom of it."

I can't really think of a character who fits the description of "mummy". You're probably right that this is a bit of flavor text implying that the Fallen Child's body was once there and moved, perhaps to be closer to the surface.

And back to true end spoilers + Dr. Gaster speculation;

There seems to be a seventeenth entry by Alphys in the True Lab, though I can't really confirm without restarting. That raises even more questions about that hidden entry number seventeen by Dr. Gaster(?). Could even be a teaser for another game entirely.

Scher

There seems to be a seventeenth entry by Alphys in the True Lab, though I can't really confirm without restarting. That raises even more questions about that hidden entry number seventeen by Dr. Gaster(?). Could even be a teaser for another game entirely.

Yes,
there is a 17th entry in the true lab.

* ENTRY NUMBER 17
* monsters' physical forms can't handle "determination" like humans' can.
* with too much determination, our bodies begin to break down.
* everyone's melted together...

Ah, I forgot that the
red hearted coffin had the Fallen Child's name on it. Though I don't remember a white hearted coffin.

The exact text when you read the coffin during the true end is "The coffin is empty...? You didn't notice before, but there's something like mummy wrappings at the bottom of it."

I can't really think of a character who fits the description of "mummy". You're probably right that this is a bit of flavor text implying that the Fallen Child's body was once there and moved, perhaps to be closer to the surface.

And back to true end spoilers + Dr. Gaster speculation;

Oops, my bad. That was indeed the
red heart. I mixed it up because of the missing white heart in the tubes during the Asgore battle. That missing tube confused me at first, as I thought it was a reference to me missing an important side quest. I wasted too much time on trying to figure that one out.

Oops, my bad. That was indeed the
red heart. I mixed it up because of the missing white heart in the tubes during the Asgore battle. That missing tube confused me at first, as I thought it was a reference to me missing an important side quest. I wasted too much time on trying to figure that one out.

Still true end spoilers. Actually, not just true end spoilers, but TRUE END EPILOGUE SPOILERS
if you didn't go back to the flower patch at the very beginning of the game. Last chance! Here we go
;

Ah, I think that was intended for
the Fallen Child.

However, Fallen's soul was absorbed by Asriel, as confirmed through the taped logs of them plotting together in True Lab and Asriel's dialogue when you find Asriel in the first flower patch during the true end epilogue. And Asriel's soul was destroyed following a failed uprising against Fallen Child's village, which was Fallen Child's doing and stopped by Asriel's intervention.

Whiplash to genocide end spoilers;

This is why Fallen Child asks for your soul. He has no other way of being given corporeal form again. Hence, the last minute bad endings that show up if you attempt a true ending after the genocide ending.

Argh, this rabbit hole is getting too deep, man. I'm also kind of bummed out that the thread quickly turned into the spoiler tag club, because it probably looks uninviting to newcomers.
You guessed it, more end-game spoilers
I've also been told about all this secret Gaster stuff, so I decided to dump the script and sprite assets to see if I can get to the bottom of it.

Going a quick peek at the index of the file names, I see a bunch of Objects with "Gaster" in the name. I also see "Gaster" in the list of enemy names, as well as a string called "Gaster's Theme". I assume the latter makes me think there's a sound-test hidden in there.

The script itself only has this bit with the string "Gaster in it:
* Alphys might work faster^1.&* But the old Royal Scientist^1,& Doctor W.D. Gaster?/
* One day^1, he vanished& without a trace./
* They say he shattered& across time and space./
* Ha ha..^1.&* How can I say so& without fear?/
* I'm holding a piece of& him right here./%%
* It makes sense why ASGORE& took so long to hire a& new Royal Scientist./
* After all^1, the old one..^1.&* Dr. Gaster^1.&* What an act to follow!/
* They say he created the CORE./
* However^1, his life..^1.&* Was cut short./
* One day^1, he fell into& his creation^1, and.../%%
* Will Alphys end up the& same way?/%%
* I understand why ASGORE& waited so long to hire a& new Royal Scientist./
* The previous one..^1.&* Dr. Gaster./
* His brilliance was& irreplaceable./
* One day^1, his experiments& went wrong^1, and.../%%
* Well^1, I needn't gossip./
* After all^1, it's rude to& talk about someone who's& listening./%%

Dumping the actual sprite data shouldn't take too long, but depending on how it's structured, finding anything meaningful could be a messy and painful process Chances are the assets are dumped on a few big Where is Waldo-esque sheets.
Edit:
It looks like they are indeed big sheets, and even contain a request not to publish them until the game's been out for at least a year. I guess I'll respect that and leave it be.

It's possible that this was something that was left on the cutting room floor, or snuck in to complement the creepy-pasta nature of the Genocide run.

It's kind of a problem with this game, it hinges on a series of spoileriffic twists that guide you away from playing it like an RPG. And I'm very curious if some of this hidden content shows up if you play the game in a less polarized manner.

As Jim Sterling put it;

Undertale represents one of those problematic games for critics in an age of spoiler aversion. Some of the truly outstanding elements of this game are things I just can’t talk about because to do so would utterly wreck the surprise.

There are moments that match – and potentially outshine – the legendary examples of fourth-wall breaking found with Metal Gear Solid‘s Psycho Mantis and Arkham Asylym‘s Scarecrow. There are encounters that make Giygas appear almost normal. Despite its aesthetic simplicity, there’s a deep and dark beauty to the thing, something I want the world at large to experience.

10/10. I think he likes it.

Veldin

If you
sell your soul
, this doesn't work. No one knows where the data for that is stored.

That's actually only a rumor but it's kinda awesome that people think it's true.
So long as Steam Cloud saving is disabled for Undertale, deleting the Undertale folder in Appdata is all you need to do to completely reset everything, including any soul selling. In fact the cloud is set up specifically to keep your no-soul state in tact, which is kinda creepy.

As someone who extolled the virtues of Lisa and got a few people to buy it, I feel like I'd be locked up as a criminal if I didn't play this.

I have a feeling we're not going to find everything in this game for some time.
GameMaker script dumps aside

Last night, I saw someone try a second pacifist run after a geno run, and there were some really interesting differences. New phone calls, slightly different dialogue with
Toriel
, and most distressingly,
the frog that tells you how the other monsters feel about you is missing

Some of this might even be extra content activated through multiple play throughs. Everybody who starts the game up cold seems to see the same bits as long as they make the same choices, so it's not randomized really.

This might be the most interesting take on choice-based gameplay I've seen.

Made it to my first ending with
Metaton ruling everything
(which is fantastic), and I think I'll go for round 2.

Phenomenal game, it's like a better realized and funnier LISA.

I played pacifist through the entire game except it seemed like I had no choice but
to kill Undyne.

About 3 hours in and I'm having a blast. Papyrus and Sans are probably my favorite characters in any game this year. I don't think there was a single scene Papyrus has been in that didn't at least merit a smile.

I played pacifist through the entire game except it seemed like I had no choice but
to kill Undyne.

For Undyne, you can't spare her. The only peaceful way to "defeat" her is to flee from battle when she returns your cursor to red from green.

epmode

How in the hell does this thread have under 100 posts. This game is incredible.

Question about the ending: Where can I find
Mettaton right before finishing the true end? Toriel suggests that I go look for him.

edit:
Found him. He's hanging out with Napstablook in Waterfall.

epmode

Yeah, I'm posting twice.

GAF needs to know about this game. I've seen the love Earthbound/Mother get around here and Undertale absolutely stands with those. (I like it more)

In other news, I bought the soundtrack the instant I got the true ending. 100 tracks, 2 hours of music, and practically all of it is worth a listen. Side effect: Now I feel better about ignoring the Kickstarter back in the day.

honestly i would've settled with just a looping version of dogsong for $10. the rest is just a bonus.

also i've been thinking about undertale pretty much constantly since finishing undertale. urgggg

Murugo

It's an old video, but I still love the Steam Greenlight trailer from earlier this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUZ_-bKTxZw

After a true pacifist run, I think I'll pass on a genocide run since I adore the characters too much.
The W.D. Gaster easter eggs are fascinating, though. I'm looking forward to more discoveries soon.

I've been trying to do a genocide run, but damn this game is drastically shifts in tone. It also cuts out a lot of content, making me think this is definitely the wrong way to play early on. For how easy the genocide run is, I sure had a colossal amount of trouble with
Undyne The Heroine, and I seem to have completely hit a wall with Sans. I had to look up to see if he is actually beatable, but and he is. Just crazy difficult is all. I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to beat him.

Made it to my first ending with
Metaton ruling everything
(which is fantastic), and I think I'll go for round 2.

Phenomenal game, it's like a better realized and funnier LISA.

to kill Undyne.
That was was the trickiest in a pacifist run.
It's easy to forget she warns you about taking away your ability to flee, so noticing you get it back can also slip under the radar. The only indication you have for it is the changing of your heart colour.

About how long is this game?
Took me 8 hours to get my first ending, but I've spent some extra time backtracking, and I'm generally a bit slower than the average player. A friend of mine beat it in 6 hours, so it'll be something along that range.

Yeah, I'm posting twice.

GAF needs to know about this game. I've seen the love Earthbound/Mother get around here and Undertale absolutely stands with those. (I like it more)

In other news, I bought the soundtrack the instant I got the true ending. 100 tracks, 2 hours of music, and practically all of it is worth a listen. Side effect: Now I feel better about ignoring the Kickstarter back in the day.
Same here. Pretty much all the battle themes are amazing, but the spider dance is probably my favourite track of the game. Turning the dog song into a ring tone seemed like a good idea at the time too, but I wonder if its delicate balance of silliness and annoyance will be toppled by having to hear it so often. Either way, it was the first game I bought the soundtrack for since NieR.

Harpuia

If you loved the neat ways Mother used its mechanics to tell a story and the thought of an improved iteration and mastery of its methods tickles you, you will adore this game. Ugh so good. 10 dollars is nothing. Maybe you can skip lunch today to make it up?

Top Bottom