• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

Moonlight

Banned
This game really deserves more attention. I don't think I'm particularly far ahead yet, but everything about this game oozes this kind of ghostly charm to its' aesthetic and all its' characters. The battle system is absurdly charming, and undeniably incredibly unique.

Papyrus is also the greatest character. The writing in general is pretty amazing.

And the OST is fucking amazing, holy shit.

JC Sera

when ur gf says anime aint real
CPaOwGjUEAAMRf5.png

when ur gf says anime aint real
Even in my goody two-shoes run, I couldn't help but lie about that one. Didn't want to break her heart and make my species look like a bunch of scrubs. Even if magical space princesses and swords as big as doors aren't really representative of humanity, I think they should be.

Cowie

If you loved the neat ways Mother used its mechanics to tell a story and the thought of an improved iteration and mastery of its methods tickles you, you will adore this game. Ugh so good. 10 dollars is nothing. Maybe you can skip lunch today to make it up?

This is a really excellent way of putting it. When I started the game I got Mother vibes but was kind of reluctant to say it, because I feel like invoking that series is a pretty serious commitment. But having finished the game, it feels like it was made by someone who played Earthbound while growing up, had their entire view of what a video game could be fundamentally reshaped by it, and then that person went on to make a video game with that experience. ... I don't actually know if that's true, but it's the feeling the game gives off.

It's an old video, but I still love the Steam Greenlight trailer from earlier this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUZ_-bKTxZw
Hah! I hadn't seen that, that's great. I feel bad that I only found out about this game now that it's out. I guess before playing it I might not have been as enthusiastic, but retroactively I want to contribute a ton of money to the kickstarter for this game. As it is I've bought the soundtrack and four copies so far.

Edit: I suppose it goes without mentioning these days, but heads up on related videos on youtube. Youtube-types do not care about spoilers.

Hah! I hadn't seen that, that's great. I feel bad that I only found out about this game now that it's out. I guess before playing it I might not have been as enthusiastic, but retroactively I want to contribute a ton of money to the kickstarter for this game. As it is I've bought the soundtrack and four copies so far.
I was wondering about that actually. Since you had a freshes perspective, how did you feel the game guided you towards your first playthrough. The demo is essentially the same as the the opening of the game, up until exit of the ruins. When I first played it, I played exterminator and cleaned up everything in my path.
Getting confronted with my actions was pretty harsh, and it allowed me to do the right thing in the full game without any repercussions.

I suppose it does help that the game's non-violent options are communicated better in the Steam description and trailers, as that did not reach me when I tried the demo for the first time.

Also yes, I think the Mother comparisons are fine. That series liked giving moves to enemies in battle that did not really contribute anything. The only thing they did was give character to the enemies you were fighting, or to the party members that were tagging along. It's something relatively simple, but I really liked it there, and I really like it here. They also both use the veil of a child-friendly aesthetic and sense of humour to emotionally disarm you when they want to get real.

Cowie

I was wondering about that actually. Since you had a freshes perspective, how did you feel the game guided you towards your first playthrough. The demo is essentially the same as the the opening of the game, up until exit of the ruins. When I first played it, I played exterminator and cleaned up everything in my path.
Getting confronted with my actions was pretty harsh, and it allowed me to do the right thing in the full game without any repercussions.

I suppose it does help that the game's non-violent options are communicated better in the Steam description and trailers, as that did not reach me when I tried the demo for the first time.

Also yes, I think the Mother comparisons are fine. That series liked giving moves to enemies in battle that did not really contribute anything. The only thing they did was give character to the enemies you were fighting, or to the party members that were tagging along. It's something relatively simple, but I really liked it there, and I really like it here. They also both use the veil of a child-friendly aesthetic and sense of humour to emotionally disarm you when they want to get real.

Well, the steam page set me off in a specific direction with "UNDERTALE! The RPG game where you don't have to destroy anyone." I started the game with a stubborn determination to not kill anyone because it told me I could. It's hard to say what I would have done without that knowledge, I may not have been as persistent in finding a peaceful route in all situations. As it is, I managed to go 100% pacifist on my first playthrough. And now I.. can't bring myself to play it again, even though I want to see more.

Harpuia

This is a really excellent way of putting it. When I started the game I got Mother vibes but was kind of reluctant to say it, because I feel like invoking that series is a pretty serious commitment. But having finished the game, it feels like it was made by someone who played Earthbound while growing up, had their entire view of what a video game could be fundamentally reshaped by it, and then that person went on to make a video game with that experience. ... I don't actually know if that's true, but it's the feeling the game gives off.

As someone who lingered around the starmen.net boards in my youth, it actually is! Tobyfox was a well known member of the PK Hack community, who were a group of people that used a hacking utility to make Earthbound ROM hacks. And of course, this is the guy that has made a lot of music for Homestuck, and it's Earthbound inspirations are also apparent there. This guy...he's pretty legit....

Cowie

As someone who lingered around the starmen.net boards in my youth, it actually is! Tobyfox was a well known member of the PK Hack community, who were a group of people that used a hacking utility to make Earthbound ROM hacks. And of course, this is the guy that has made a lot of music for Homestuck, and it's Earthbound inspirations are also apparent there. This guy...he's pretty legit....

Heh, that's awesome. The game really feels like a direct communication from the heart. With all of the love and care, tiny little touches here and there, it almost feels like getting to know someone. It simultaneously makes me want to start making games (an idea I've been toying with) and makes me feel like I should give up because I think this is the game I wanted to make and it's already been done perfectly.

epmode

You know, I haven't seen this mentioned yet but I noticed something strange when I was playing. A few times, maybe four or five over the entire game, I noticed some sprite appear at the very edge of the screen only to disappear a frame or two later. No idea what it was but I figure it could easily be the developer screwing around rather than a glitch.

You know, I haven't seen this mentioned yet but I noticed something strange when I was playing. A few times, maybe four or five over the entire game, I noticed some sprite appear at the very edge of the screen only to disappear a frame or two later. No idea what it was but I figure it could easily be the developer screwing around rather than a glitch.

It's Flowey

Got to the normal ending today, and my very first reaction was to immediately dive back in. It's kind of crazy with how stacked this year is but this is probably my GOTY so far. It's such a unique experience that I can't fathom anything coming close to replicating. I can't even choose a favorite character. Well, okay Papyrus is my favorite character, but pretty much every other member of the main cast is second. I love all of them.

I feel bad for people who've never played the game coming into this thread out of curiousity, because it's near impossible to delve into the game without spoiling something, and there's SO MUCH there. All I can suggest is that everyone ever play this game as quickly as possible.

woxel1

Just finished the
True Pacifist
ending and I'm totally blown away by this game. Could be the sleeper hit of the year.

Just finished the
True Pacifist
ending and I'm totally blown away by this game. Could be the sleeper hit of the year.

Yep, went back and powered through that route myself. It was a pretty perfect ending to a near-perfect game. I'm really not sure how the game could've been improved. For what it was trying to be it hits every single check mark it could while having as much personality as any game I've ever played. It's an easy 10/10 and one of my favorite games ever.

B4s5C

Really impressed with this game. Only was able to play for 30 minutes tonight after my friend pestered me to buy it but I was instantly hooked.

Can't wait to play it tomorrow :D

Cowie

Yep, went back and powered through that route myself. It was a pretty perfect ending to a near-perfect game. I'm really not sure how the game could've been improved. For what it was trying to be it hits every single check mark it could while having as much personality as any game I've ever played. It's an easy 10/10 and one of my favorite games ever.

I'm happy to read this! Especially since you cited my enthusiasm as a reason to buy it earlier, hah. Nice to see people feeling the same about it as me! I'm sure there are plenty of people for whom this game won't really 'hit', but man, I want every single person who has even a 10% chance of enjoying it to get to see it, because the people it works for.. boy does it work.

I was able to get a couple more converts today, including a guy who sat down and played it straight through in one go(!)

I started my third play through today. I really wish I could erase my memories and experience the game for the first time again, but it's still really good.

To be fair, it has gotten a lot of attention in a number of circles, just not really all that much on GAF. And seeing how vocal the game's fans are about the game, I'm sure things will only escalate lol. But for coming from pretty much nothing (I know Toby's made Earthbound hacks and music but I think this is his first whole game?) I'd say it's not doing too bad for itself at all.

Kirlia

Banned
To be fair, it has gotten a lot of attention in a number of circles, just not really all that much on GAF. And seeing how vocal the game's fans are about the game, I'm sure things will only escalate lol. But for coming from pretty much nothing (I know Toby's made Earthbound hacks and music but I think this is his first whole game?) I'd say it's not doing too bad for itself at all.

It helps that, last I checked, it had 99% positive reviews on Steam.

So I decided to try this game out, and...oh wow.

The first hour (from what was in the demo) started out slow,
but then I ran into Papyrus and Sans and it picked right up after that. The boss fight with Papyrus when he did the "YOU'RE BLUE NOW!" thing was so unexpected and amazing that it really made the game for me right there
. The bullet dodging thing didn't get interesting until the halfway point of the game (where it actually had difficulty and interesting bullet patterns), but was pretty good either way. Playing through the whole game as a pacifist was too much as far interacting with characters. Now I'm having a hard time convincing myself to play any other way.
Seeing the neutral ending with Omega Flowey (both the boss fight and the game closing itself a few time intentionally) before getting the true pacifist ending scared the crap out of me. Seeing the true pacifist ending almost made me cry, it was that good.

As far as a few things go, I'm not sure about a few things:

1)
Getting the true pacifist I noticed that some of the text for monsters in the credits weren't yellow (Aaron had white text that simply said still flexing), and some were. Is it due to the way I interacted them?

2)
That door right next to the bridge to Snowdin, was there an event that I missed? I couldn't figure out a way to open it. I thought that mystery key I got from that shop would open it, but nope.

3)
Started playing through Hard Mode (naming the character Frisk), and is there anything different besides monsters and some minor dialog change. Granted I just started, but so far it's progressing the same exact way minus running into end game enemies early.

Other than that, I ended up loving this game. It was totally worth the $17 I paid for it (also came with the soundtrack, which is amazing).

JC Sera

So I decided to try this game out, and...oh wow.

The first hour (from what was in the demo) started out slow,
but then I ran into Papyrus and Sans and it picked right up after that. The boss fight with Papyrus when he did the "YOU'RE BLUE NOW!" thing was so unexpected and amazing that it really made the game for me right there
. The bullet dodging thing didn't get interesting until the halfway point of the game (where it actually had difficulty and interesting bullet patterns), but was pretty good either way. Playing through the whole game as a pacifist was too much as far interacting with characters. Now I'm having a hard time convincing myself to play any other way.
Seeing the neutral ending with Omega Flowey (both the boss fight and the game closing itself a few time intentionally) before getting the true pacifist ending scared the crap out of me. Seeing the true pacifist ending almost made me cry, it was that good.

As far as a few things go, I'm not sure about a few things:

1)
Getting the true pacifist I noticed that some of the text for monsters in the credits weren't yellow (Aaron had white text that simply said still flexing), and some were. Is it due to the way I interacted them?

2)
That door right next to the bridge to Snowdin, was there an event that I missed? I couldn't figure out a way to open it. I thought that mystery key I got from that shop would open it, but nope.

3)
Started playing through Hard Mode (naming the character Frisk), and is there anything different besides monsters and some minor dialog change. Granted I just started, but so far it's progressing the same exact way minus running into end game enemies early.

Other than that, I ended up loving this game. It was totally worth the $17 I paid for it (also came with the soundtrack, which is amazing).
2)
You have to avoid all the credits to unlock. Its just toby
3)
It only lasts until the end of the demo area

That's fair. I guess I'm surprised that it hasn't been picked up quicker by GAF.

Puruzi

Banned
Played up to the
Dog Couple
, this game is really fucking good.

I don't care about spoilers, so if someone could let me know if
Toriel has anything else she does in he game? Liked her.

JC Sera

Played up to the
Dog Couple
, this game is really fucking good.

I don't care about spoilers, so if someone could let me know if
Toriel has anything else she does in he game? Liked her.
You really should care about spoilers
she comes back at the end, and is casually referenced by Sans during

yarden24

finished the game yesterday , got the pacifist ending, and boy this game is amazing.

think the ending was a bit long in the tooth honestly,but it sure did leave an impact, loved the game so much, going to try and shill this to everyone I know that might be interested.

I never have a drive to play a game twice, and this game is no exception, so im glad i got the good ending first time

1)
I had the same thing with Aaron. I had a few of them that weren't yellow, including a monster I hadn't even encountered in my run. I assumed the white names are the names' default state, and they turn yellow when you properly deal with them. I'm certain I encountered Aaron and spared him though, so I wonder what I did wrong.

It's possible there are multiple ways to get them to spare, but if you want to turn the names yellow, it'll requires more specific actions. I usually bailed from battles when I got the ability to spare, so maybe that could be the problem too. Once I saw that the Spare option was available, I stopped paying much attention to the dialogue bubbles. Curious.

yarden24

I had the same thing with Aaron. I had a few of them that weren't yellow, including a monster I hadn't even encountered in my run. I assumed the white names are the names' default state, and they turn yellow when you properly deal with them. I'm certain I encountered Aaron and spared him though, so I wonder what I did wrong.

It's possible there are multiple ways to get them to spare, but if you want to turn the names yellow, it'll requires more specific actions. I usually bailed from battles when I got the ability to spare, so maybe that could be the problem too. Once I saw that the Spare option was available, I stopped paying much attention to the dialogue bubbles. Curious.

I actually spared Aaron the right way, when in the ghosts house i played the fourth song, and I when you exit the house the song keeps playing, then when you meet Aaron in a random encounter he gets so spooked out from the music, that he runs away from you

buffi

Banned
This game is the best, and everyone should buy it.

I say that as someone with low tolerance for indie-games, and a general dislike for the art-style.

Game is amazing.

After having watched a Genocide Run, while it is indeed A Bad Time™, there's a surprising amount of effort that went into it, even down to subtle differences in the way the player character interacts with others. It also contributes a lot to the characters of
Asriel, The Fallen, and Sans
and is probably worth watching for that reason alone.

also maybe some people just want to
get dunked on

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Just beat it on the True Pacifist path and it was wonderful. I just set it up on my laptop to do the unspeakable so I'll see how different this is.

Man this game is fantastic. I've still got MGSV and Witcher 3 on my backlog but I can't stop thinking about this game.

One of the few games that's both mechanically and narratively perfect. Going to go for a genocide run later
after switching out my save data cause fuck true reset.

JC Sera

PSA To all of those considering doing the unspeakable
the ending of that run permanently taints your saves
and its parameters are saved in a different location to all your other save files
and are steam clouded
you are going to have a bad time

Veldin

Toriel is one of the sweetest characters ever and a large part of why the true ending is so fulfilling to me. There's only a handful of video game characters that I feel as strongly about.

I felt a lot for Asriel too, which is impressive considering how late in the game he's introduced. Knowing what you know about his attitude as Flowey and who he was before he died makes his dialogue hit really hard during the final encounter. Even then it's just little bits of story that establish who he is and it still works so well.

PSA To all of those considering doing the unspeakable
the ending of that run permanently taints your saves
and its parameters are saved in a different location to all your other save files
and are steam clouded
you are going to have a bad time

There was one way to get out of that suggested in this thread, but knowing the story,
I imagine that deleting the save file/game data before the game forces you to give your soul to [major antagonist] would also do it

I uh ("Prologue" spoilers?)

I killed Toriel.

I think I fucked up.

Can I uh, do something about that?

"Can you show mercy without fighting or running away?"

More direct answer under the next spoiler.

Spare her repeatedly; she really does NOT want to kill you.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Genocide Run Waterfall Boss Spoils:
Man Undyne shot up to my favorite character her spirit and fighting just really hit me. I feel like a piece of crap. ):

Puruzi

Banned
Where is
Undyne after you pour the water on her? Can't find her house anyehere
I finished the date with Papyrus and he gave me the dialog that we should all be friends when I ran away from her

So this might be the easiest game of the year choice I've ever chosen. Holy hell how did I not hear about this game sooner!

Serious question
does anyone know what you actually get for solving the piano puzzle, also i think i saw light-able mushrooms early in the a game with what looked like a door.

I got the true ending but..... I'm still trying to decide if I should do the other endings or not. I feel if I love a game this hard I should but..... I just don't know

Top Bottom