• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

I can't quite remember, but did Cat figure something out about Jon not being Ned's illegitimate child while she was at Riverrun with her dying father? It's been a while since I read the books but I'm sure something made me imagine some sort of undead reconciliation between them both down the line.

Also, I reckon Jon's resurrection will be told from Jon's perspective, but through Ghost's eyes in the book.

Would be cool if we all open the book and the first chapter is titled Jon and he's on ghost.

Edit: no way cat will ever help Jon.

In the books she'll kill some freys and them just let herself die with her revenge fulfilled.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I can't quite remember, but did Cat figure something out about Jon not being Ned's illegitimate child while she was at Riverrun with her dying father? It's been a while since I read the books but I'm sure something made me imagine some sort of undead reconciliation between them both down the line.

Are you thinking about Tansy?

M.D

Is there a good place to read about events and characters from the various books without spoiling others? I'm just about to finish the first book after starting it over twice and leaving it for probably a year, but this time I picked from where I left last and forget certain details

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Is there a good place to read about events and characters from the various books without spoiling others? I'm just about to finish the first book after starting it over twice and leaving it for probably a year, but this time I picked from where I left last and forget certain details
https://towerofthehand.com/

You can set the scope at the top of the pages to whatever book you've already read. For example the pages for characters says almost nothing until you change it from "no books read".

TheXbox

Would be cool if we all open the book and the first chapter is titled Jon and he's on ghost.

Edit: no way cat will ever help Jon.

In the books she'll kill some freys and them just let herself die with her revenge fulfilled.
Prologue will involve Jeyne Westerling, so probably not. Unless you mean the first proper chapter, in which case yes. "BENJEN" would be most hype, though.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.

Also, I reckon Jon's resurrection will be told from Jon's perspective, but through Ghost's eyes in the book.
I'm thinking Jon might not be a POV any longer. That his perspective will be gone since he died. There's a reason Melisandre is actually named, and not The Red Woman. However, I can also see Jon having a perspective in Ghost for a chapter, or The White Wolf.
I use this for seeing which chapters said what.

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Chapters

M.D

https://towerofthehand.com/

You can set the scope at the top of the pages to whatever book you've already read. For example the pages for characters says almost nothing until you change it from "no books read".

I'm thinking Jon might not be a POV any longer. That his perspective will be gone since he died. There's a reason Melisandre is actually named, and not The Red Woman. However, I can also see Jon having a perspective in Ghost for a chapter, or The White Wolf.

I use this for seeing which chapters said what.

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Chapters
Thank you

Isaac Hempstead, aka Bran, gave an interview where he talks about a deleted scene where he helps Sansa realize LittleFinger is bad.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2017/08/29/we-talked-to-isaac-hempstead-wright-and-understand-brans-three-eyed-raven-powers-a-lot-better-now/?utm_term=.1a48f69e9a3e

Here’s some quotes:

So to those who were under the impression that Arya and Sansa may have been pretending to fight this season, that wasn’t the case. Anyway, with or without this scene, I still think this is one of the worst story lines ever in the show. Sansa never became the great “game-player”. She’s never had a victory that’s been all her own. I honestly don’t think she’s gotten all that much smarter since season one.

Haha, I thought the same thing when I read that bit
So the quarrel was real, it really was that stupid. Jesus.

Sansa and Arya haven't seen each other in years, they didn't like each other in the first place, and now Arya is some weird assassin while Sansa is hanging out with Littlefinger.

Not so crazy they distrusted and were hostile to each other.

Sansa and Arya haven't seen each other in years, they didn't like each other in the first place, and now Arya is some weird assassin while Sansa is hanging out with Littlefinger.

Not so crazy they distrusted and were hostile to each other.

Arya in ACOK - "When she thought of seeing Robb's face again Arya had to bite her lip. And I want to see Jon too, and Bran and Rickon, and Mother. Even Sansa . . . I'll kiss her and beg her pardons like a proper lady, she'll like that."

They never got a long, sure, but after what happened to them and to their family, you'd think they'd be a little more willing to work together and little less willing to contemplate killing one other. Like there's a big difference between sibling arguments, and what happened in season 7

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Arya in ACOK - "When she thought of seeing Robb's face again Arya had to bite her lip. And I want to see Jon too, and Bran and Rickon, and Mother. Even Sansa . . . I'll kiss her and beg her pardons like a proper lady, she'll like that."

They never got a long, sure, but after what happened to them and to their family, you'd think they'd be a little more willing to work together and little less willing to contemplate killing one other. Like there's a big difference between sibling arguments, and what happened in season 7

i'm the last person to defend the show, but that was before arya became a psychopath.

of course the show seems to spin a wheel to determine what personality arya has in any scene she appears in.

Havok1313

So is Meera just gone out of the show for good? Why did she leave like she wouldn't be coming back with her father and the rest of Greywater Watch to help in the war?

Burt

So is Meera just gone out of the show for good? Why did she leave like she wouldn't be coming back with her father and the rest of Greywater Watch to help in the war?

Because she won't be coming back with her father and the rest of Greywater Watch to help in the war.

KahooTs

The Sansa/Arya plot would make sense if Sansa did actually think and behave like Cersei/LF now. They took the animosity between them from GRRM but not the root cause.

Madness

Well season 8 hasn't finished. With 6 episodes left, and barely enough time more than 30 second scenes for Bran and Tyrion etc. Why would Meera get anymore air time unless she was absolutely needed.

I think by the end though, her and Bran will get together if he doesn't die and also loses his Three Eyed Raven status. Who knows though. I definitely have a feeling we'll probably see most of the South and the Northerners have some kind of last stand near Winterfell. Jaime will show up, Bran will remind him he threw him out window etc.

duckroll

It makes no sense that Shireen is sacrificed by anyone but Stannis.

Stannis took his troops to fight, they are routed, Selyse begs Mel to save her husband, offers the daughter she never liked as a sacrifice instead. Stannis survives because of intervention (Jon's return?), goes back and realized what happened, executes them both.

TheXbox

Stannis took his troops to fight, they are routed, Selyse begs Mel to save her husband, offers the daughter she never liked as a sacrifice instead. Stannis survives because of intervention (Jon's return?), goes back and realized what happened, executes them both.
Selyse would totally do it. She treats Shireen like garbage and she's a fanatic to boot.

The problem is that the showrunners seem to imply that Stannis's entire arc, starting from Season 2, led up to the moment where he sacrifices his daughter. I suspect it informed the way they wrote the character in earlier seasons (ie, a shitbag).

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
It makes no sense that Shireen is sacrificed by anyone but Stannis.
TWoW spoiler
"It may be that we shall lose this battle," the king said grimly. "In Braavos you may hear that I am dead. It may even be true. You shall find my sellswords nonetheless."
The knight hesitated. "Your Grace, if you are dead — "
" — you will avenge my death, and seat my daughter on the Iron Throne. Or die in the attempt."
Stannis wants her on the throne even if he dies. Doesn't sound like someone that would sacrifice her to win.

WaffleTaco

It will probably be Jon's return that Shireen's death brings. The Freys & Manderlys get sent out at the end of ADWD (or beginning of Winds). So it's likely that the Manderlys will kill the Freys, thus giving Stannis an advantage in men. Plus if Stannis burns
Theon
that could help with any advantage they need.

Madness

TWoW spoiler
Stannis wants her on the throne even if he dies. Doesn't sound like someone that would sacrifice her to win.

Desperation drives men wild. Like Davos said in the show, him and Robert rebelled against their rightful ruler. How can he truly have a claim to the Iron Throne if Dany is alive and it becomes obviois while he is more honorable than others even to a fault, he will have his breaking point. Maybe losses adding up, the loss of the sellswords, just like the show, he is convinced to do it. Maybe it won't be as callous as on the show.

The way D & D responded after hee burning, they made it seem obvious or clear is because it is what GRRM told them and would happen in the book. No one else would do it. Maybe Selyse but I think the way they showed it on tv is what will happen in book. Regretting it after. Who knows. Maybe GRRM should have finished his books rather than let his characters be tarnished by the show. Look at show Loras versus book Loras. I can't think of Loras Tyrell as anything more than effeminate wimp into brooches now.

jett

D-Member
Stannis burning Shireen would be a serious jump the shark moment in the books for me. I don't even like him that much.

Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 8 - it really is that stupid

It's a bit of a shame this show's thread tittles are so dry. :p

duckroll

Maybe GRRM should have finished his books rather than let his characters be tarnished by the show..

What's the difference between tarnishing the characters himself and letting someone else tarnish them? Look at book Tyrion. Lol. At least the show is entertaining.

WaffleTaco

We didn't really get boobs this season, did we? I hated the first seasons, because they turned everything into a fuckfest.
To be fair that's kinda how the books are.

What's the difference between tarnishing the characters himself and letting someone else tarnish them? Look at book Tyrion. Lol. At least the show is entertaining.
I would have loved seeing Book Tyrion in the show. It would be hilarious to see the turn against him by the show-only people. Still kinda surprised people like Dany, despite her being a moron half the time.

How’s she a psychopath?
She kills people and takes their faces, and her entire arc is her learning to kill people and how much joy she gets from killing someone.

duckroll

She kills people and takes their faces, and her entire arc is her learning to kill people and how much joy she gets from killing someone.

Yes so she's a skilled murderer, there's a name for that - assassin. She only gets joy from killing the people she hate though, not killing in general. Psychopaths lack empathy, her entire arc of rejecting a dispassionate sense of murder as duty, but instead choosing to kill targets of her choosing and not killing those she feels do not deserve death, shows the opposite of being a psychopath.

To be fair that's kinda how the books are.

I would have loved seeing Book Tyrion in the show. It would be hilarious to see the turn against him by the show-only people. Still kinda surprised people like Dany, despite her being a moron half the time.

Oathbreakers, loan sharks and rapists. If she is a psychopath for those actions, who isn’t in this series?

WaffleTaco

Yes so she's a skilled murderer, there's a name for that - assassin. She only gets joy from killing the people she hate though, not killing in general. Psychopaths lack empathy, her entire arc of rejecting a dispassionate sense of murder as duty, but instead choosing to kill targets of her choosing and not killing those she feels do not deserve death, shows the opposite of being a psychopath.
I guess you are right. I just don't think I like her character arc. I do wonder how it's going to end. I don't really see a logical conclusion for it.

The show was worse. First season had some made up scenes to justify more nipples.
They also removed nudity from Caitlyn Stark ¯_(ツ)_/¯ (although that's my only example). And Dany's sex scene.

jfkgoblue

I guess you are right. I just don't think I like her character arc. I do wonder how it's going to end. I don't really see a logical conclusion for it.

They also removed nudity from Caitlyn Stark ¯_(ツ)_/¯ (although that's my only example). And Dany's sex scene.
And Ned in the same scene :p

Also, I am a bit tired of people suddenly thinking that Rhaegar was not a horrible person just because he didn't kidnap and rape Lyanna. Dude forsake his wife and children to pursue a woman already betrothed to another man.

And Ned in the same scene :p

Also, I am a bit tired of people suddenly thinking that Rhaegar was not a horrible person just because he didn't kidnap and rape Lyanna. Dude forsake his wife and children to pursue a woman already betrothed to another man.

Rhaegar got divorced. Lots of people do that.

Top Bottom