• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Honestly the convo between the two threads is not much different anymore, the biggest difference being the incessant pessimism in here. They are mentioning the books all the time in the "unsullied" thread lately.

JakeD

There are so many people posting in this thread who have clearly never read the books.

I read dance within the past two years. I barely remember any of the mereen stuff because it's mostly awful

More power to you if you like it, but my brain has a hard enough time remembering the history of westeros without adding a bunch of guys named Xerox Qo Xerzdaq

Why does Cercei assume Jon is trustworthy when he broke the Night's Watch vow? She doesn't know he's resurrected.

Why does this keep getting brought up? Nobody cares.

If they ever bring it up I suppose they'll just say the northern lords choose Jon as their King and excuse him from his duty.

That and the wall fell. The Night's Watch is dead or at least absorbed into the northern armies.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Wait ...

What ?
Aegon isn't a real Targaryen, he's a Blackfyre.
Honestly the convo between the two threads is not much different anymore, the biggest difference being the incessant pessimism in here. They are mentioning the books all the time in the "unsullied" thread lately.
I've looked at that thread and it's generally awful.
I read dance within the past two years. I barely remember any of the mereen stuff because it's mostly awful

More power to you if you like it, but my brain has a hard enough time remembering the history of westeros without adding a bunch of guys named Xerox Qo Xerzdaq
It's better once you re-read and except it for what it is and not what you want it to be. I had similar thoughts at first, but Meereen is very nicely written.
Why does this keep getting brought up? Nobody cares.

If they ever bring it up I suppose they'll just say the northern lords choose Jon as their King and excuse him from his duty.

That and the wall fell. The Night's Watch is dead or at least absorbed into the northern armies.
It's brought up because the start of the show is Ned Stark decapitating a person who abanonded the nights watch. There is no in-universe explanation for why everyone is okay with this (except for the White Walkers attacking and Jon going for help). But that point is almost never brought up.

I hope we can finally get one megathread for the final season, we have to unite!
The staff will discuss it, like we always do, but I suspect that we'll stick with two threads for the final season. If anyone has strong opinions about it, feel free to send us a pm with your thoughts.

In other news, this thread and the other one are being moved over to the Community forum for the off season on Sunday or Monday.

Joni

Why does Cercei assume Jon is trustworthy when he broke the Night's Watch vow? She doesn't know he's resurrected.

She doesn't care that her brother left the Kingsguard either, she doesn't care about those vows. And she certainly doesn't care about the watch. It is even a bit strange she never cared that he became their leader, and then took in all those wildlings.

Gigglepoo

Why would Cersei point this out? She is on even shakier ground with her claim to the throne. Some things are just best left unsaid.

She said she could trust his word but, for all she knows, he broke his NW vow. Why does she think he's trustworthy? I'm not saying she should out Jon or execute him or anything.

She doesn't care that her brother left the Kingsguard either, she doesn't care about those vows. And she certainly doesn't care about the watch. It is even a bit strange she never cared that he became their leader, and then took in all those wildlings.

I'm not talking about vows in general. She doesn't care about vows. But what is she basing her trust in Jon on? Yes, he's Ned's son, but he's also an oathbreaker. Why does the promise of an oathbreaker matter to her?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
She said she could trust his word but, for all she knows, he broke his NW vow. Why does she think he's trustworthy? I'm not saying she should out Jon or execute him or anything.

I'm not talking about vows in general. She doesn't care about vows. But what is she basing her trust in Jon on? Yes, he's Ned's son, but he's also an oathbreaker. Why does the promise of an oathbreaker matter to her?
Plus he's a "bastard" and everyone in Westeros knows not to trust a bastard. It's best not to think too much about it, D&D didn't.

She doesn't trust him. It's all just talk. She betrayed them and is fully expecting Jon to attack her - if he survives the whole stuff in the North.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
What? Why would that even remotely matter?
Because the back story of the Golden Company will get told (maybe changed) and it will inevitably lead to discussion of the books. Considering as someone mentioned that there are probably a decent number of people waiting for the show to be over, Faegon and the Golden Company is a pretty big plot point/twist in Books 5 and onward.

Gigglepoo

She doesn't trust him. It's all just talk. She betrayed them and is fully expecting Jon to attack her - if he survives the whole stuff in the North.

The entire mission to capture a wight was predicated on trusting Cercei. Maybe it's not the writers who are dumb but just every single character.

dabig2

Saan, Darrio, and Theon are going to triple team Euron. Has to happen now.

Would be cool. I just want a pirate king battle between Saan and Euron, because there can be only 1 king of the pirates.

Still, I'd expect Cersei to bring it up to at least shame him or get him in a compromising position. By the laws of Westeros any lord is able to execute Jon on sight, who as far as they know, deserted the Night's Watch and forsook his vows. Of course we the audience knows that Jon literally died and got off on that technicality, but as we've seen this season he's been keeping that on the down low to the realm abroad. It's something a political minded, hypocritical, and spiteful Cersei should've brought up but yeah, add it to the pile. People have been harping on this point since the North crowned Jon king.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Whats the problem with that? The north doesn give a shit what someone in Kings Landing says anymore and the people who have a allianance against the Lennisters wont kill their leader.
And everyone ofte other house is dead.

Burt

uvoG6Ob.png

Stuff like this still gets me

Moff

Why does Cercei trust Jon?

She doesn't, which is why she pulled back her troops and ordererd a golden company

you are right, though, that Jon should be considered an oath breaker, and if he really wanted to be like his supposed father, he would execute himself as a deserter

Honestly, I think the true nature of the others is the aspect im most anticipating out of all Winds of Winter. I dont expect GRRM to just make them chaotic evil villains. especially when hes proven time and time again that he likes doing weird twists and turns.

Burt

Honestly, I think the true nature of the others is the aspect im most anticipating out of all Winds of Winter. I dont expect GRRM to just make them chaotic evil villains. especially when hes proven time and time again that he likes doing weird twists and turns.

At least the Others have a language in the books, like, you know, an actual race of beings. The show hasn't show me anything to say they aren't going to all initiate shut down as soon as Jon stabs the Night King with his magic sword.

I groaned when the Hound kicked the wight and the rest of them started shrieking.

I mean, maybe they were mad their buddy was getting kicked

But they weren't, it's a hive mind.

Gigglepoo

That's not what a plot hole is.

"In fiction, a plot hole, plothole or plot error is a gap or inconsistency in a storyline that goes against the flow of logic established by the story's plot."

Seems like a plot hole to me. Why isn't it? Cercei employed busted logic to trust Jon.

She doesn't, which is why she pulled back her troops and ordererd a golden company

you are right, though, that Jon should be considered an oath breaker, and if he really wanted to be like his supposed father, he would execute himself as a deserter
She does because Ned kept his word to the end and was extremely Noble. Remember, Cersei wanted Ned to take the black, Little finger convinced Joffrey to execute him

Top Bottom