• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Zoggy

How did podrick, a simple squire kill a knight in black water? Bullshit

How did Tyrian not die after getting his face cut? Bullshit plot armor.

No one dies in that battle, plot armor everywhere.

How did stannis not captured after he lost? Stupid writers just made a bullshit reason to get him away.

Why didn't they show the tyrell army marching to kings landing? The writers just wanted to have some garbage Hollywood last minute save the day entrance.

Edit: Grrm wrote all this. Oops.

Famassu

Game of Thrones is built on twist after twist, with reactions depending on the viewer seeing the twist..you aren't supposed to know Ned Stark dies. Star Wars is a very basic A to B story, and while the Vader twist makes it more interesting, it's more interesting to see Luke's reaction.
Eh, I don't agree. I don't think GOT is "build on twist after twist". What makes the whole thing work is that everything gets proper build up (less so in the show, but stuff usually doesn't come out of the blue even in it). Even if you know about the Red Wedding, seeing stuff like that happen is still pretty shocking & emotional if one has gotten into the show & likes/is rooting for the characters affected.

Bigby

How did stannis not captured after he lost? Stupid writers just made a bullshit reason to get him away.

Why didn't they show the tyrell army marching to kings landing? The writers just wanted to have some garbage Hollywood last minute save the day entrance.

Hey, I remember you, your second visit to this thread to call out book readers for being salty, right?

Anyway...
Tyrian

Azzanadra

Thanks for telling all of us you have no idea what you are talking about.

It's been over a week since the finale, so this thread is being moved over to the Community forum until next season. If any major news comes up (casting, S8 premiere date, etc...), feel free to make new threads for new news in the regular OT. I'll try and post some of the minor stuff in this thread in the interim. In the meantime, same rules as before apply in this thread. If you have any questions, send me a PM.

My roommate has started to watch GOT. She's binged 3 straight seasons in less than a week. She's also preemptively spoiled herself on most of the characters and events by reading the wiki and other articles online but she still mispronounces nearly every characters' name and misunderstands their intelligence and motivations to the point where she was wondering if Jamie knows Cersei's kids are his or not. I refuse to discuss the show with her and can't even be in the same room with her when she's watching because she says the stupidest stuff, while mispronouncing the names.

I had a hard time deciding whether to post in this thread or the 'stupid stuff your roommate says' thread.

Does she call Daenerys Khaleesi?

MisterR

Read a book some time. It will do you a world of good.

I don't think anyone trusts her either, they just don't have a choice but to take her at her word because what other option is there? I'm not seeing any plot hole.

Destroying the castle in KL with dragons would have been a good start. Toasting Cersei at the meeting would have been better. Considering her history, it was pretty surprising they put any trust in her at all. Considering they are so invested in the greater good, they should have killed Cersei then and there...

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Are there good companion books about the World of GoT that have a lot of show pictures? Something like the History of Westeros, just for the show.

kazinova

Everyone keeps talking about the time to re-freeze lining up. No one stops to ask why a lake that has been in freezing temperatures for years would break but refreeze in a couple days enough for 1000s of wights.

That's because the motivations, mechanics and "reality" of the world NO LONGER MATTER. There is only your one true master: drama. Willing suspension of disbelief be damned.

duckroll

Destroying the castle in KL with dragons would have been a good start. Toasting Cersei at the meeting would have been better. Considering her history, it was pretty surprising they put any trust in her at all. Considering they are so invested in the greater good, they should have killed Cersei then and there...

Yes but you see, if you kill a nazi, you are just as bad as them!

CassSept

With the final season coming up, will there be just one Game of Thrones thread? Seems it would be better to have one.

Hopefully not, this thread still has it's uses and it's not like there's any difference between season 7 and season 8 in terms of closeness to source material.

Gigglepoo

I heard the walker have Ice Spiders in the books.
Missed opporturnity :/

They do in the show's universe as well.

Old Nan was a White Walker!

EDIT -- Oh man! That clip has the ending for the series:

"One time she told me the sky is blue because we live inside the eye of a blue-eyed giant named 'Macumber'."

And it's not in the books! D&D envisioned an ending and have been building toward it for seven years!

sasliquid

I stopped after Season 5 but caught up over the past week or so

This the thread for complaining right? Like I want to love the show like I loved the earlier season and the books but lord it's so all over the place, I can't believe some of my friends and my dad think it's one of the greatest shows ever.

This the thread for complaining right? Like I want to love the show like I loved the earlier season and the books but lord it's so all over the place, I can't believe some of my friends and my dad think it's one of the greatest shows ever.

That made me laugh more than it should.

tmdorsey

Why yes it is. Drinks and cookies are to the right.

Gigglepoo

You can't kill someone when you have given your word not to. That would make Dany as bad as Walder Frey or Stannis.

Walder Frey broke guest's rights. That's very different from whatever Dany would have done by killing Cercei. What terms of peace did Dany agree to anyway?

Turin

Banned
Well, I'm sure if you asked D&D they'd have some asinine defense of Dany.

I think the idea with Arya is that she's basically the Punisher. So take that as you will.

sasliquid

Well, I'm sure if you asked D&D they'd have some asinine defense of Dany.

I think the idea with Arya is that she's basically the Punisher. So take that as you will.

Would their defence be that violence is cool? God I was so happy whenever she had any big setbacks this season.

Also I haven't cared for Arya for a while but I think last season when she beat a better trained person in a fight while bleeding out the show made it clear that it thinks she's a badass and doesn't need to follow logic

Walder Frey broke guest's rights. That's very different from whatever Dany would have done by killing Cercei. What terms of peace did Dany agree to anyway?

They'd clearly agreed to meet on peaceful terms to discuss something greater than the war for the Iron Throne, they didn't just turn up in King's Landing expecting an audience with the Queen. To turn around and kill people at a parley is the exact same type of violation as killing someone under Guest Right. If you can't meet under a peaceful banner then the ability to negotiate peace is severely harmed and once that rule is broken you can't unbreak it.

You can't kill someone when you have given your word not to. That would make Dany as bad as Walder Frey or Stannis.

That is a very simplistic view of moral decision making in the real world though. Cersei is literally the only thing keeping the KL in the position it is taking at the moment. There doesn't seem to be anything else holding that position together. Keeping ones word is consistent with medieval honour...but it is a narrow understanding of wider implications. Cersei is also the equivalent of a rabid dog...a special situation.

Toddhunter's season guide:

Season 1: Let's introduce everyone, set the scene and build up climatically to Ned's death and the dragons. Ok sucked in everyone? Good.
Season 2: Ok let's slow things down, explore the world a bit, make use of all the great material.
Season 3: Well this is all getting a bit boring, better skip to the cool parts quickly and then hope we can stretch that shit out until the end of the year.
Season 4: Wow there are a lot of characters doing not much at all. But never mind! The next books will be written soon and we'll have some really cool stuff. This is fine.
Season 5: Fuck, could really use those books... umm, random road trips maybe? The fuck do we know.
Season 6: Ok we are not getting those books and need to get this moving. But we wrote some really stupid shit last season... Surely we can fix that by the finale? Yeah maybe.
Season 7: Ok no books, no plan. Let's work back to front and see where we need to be and see if we can get there. Wall destroyed by dragon? Dany and Jon together? Ok, we can come up with some shit to explain that. Oh and Littlefinger has to be dead but not actually achieve anything? Seems tricky, but we have got this, right?

Season 8? I actually have high hopes. For better or worse everyone is where they are supposed to be now, even if the way they got there was kind of stupid. I believe they can now wrap things up in an ultimately satisfying way.

sasliquid

The series has made me want to reread the books to see how well they hold up but that clashes with my pursuit to find another series that grips me as much

any help with that would be appreciated

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
The series has made me want to reread the books to see how well they hold up but that clashes with my pursuit to find another series that grips me as much

any help with that would be appreciated
I'm in the same boat...right now I'm re-reading only Dany chapters.

tmdorsey

Ok, it's good to know I'm not crazy. I could write an essay on the flaws of the show both in contrast to the books and as a singular piece

It looks nice tho

Well despite the flaws, I still enjoy the show for what it is. It’s the only thing keeping these characters and world alive at the moment.

Gigglepoo

I have a super random question: Why was Jon murdered by the Night's Watch in the show? I know in the books it was because his rash decisions throughout Dance jeopardized the very existence of the Watch, but I can't remember how much of that carried over to S5.

(as a refresher, in Dance he married Alys Karstark to a wilding, imprisoned another Karstark, sent Mance to Winterfell to steal "Arya", sent 11 ships to Hardhome, said Tormund could lead a rescue party to Hardhome on foot, and almost lead his own army to attack Winterfell)

EDIT -- This is just what the Watch knows Jon did. It doesn't take into account the myriad ways he helped Stannis that aren't common knowledge.

Gigglepoo

Because he took in the wildlings

Am I crazy or did other stuff happen before he let in the wildings? I thought there was a dereliction of duty or something. As down as people were on S5, I remember Castle Black and Meereen being pretty good.

I wish I could just re-watch Jon's part.

mantidor

Am I crazy or did other stuff happen before he let in the wildings? I thought there was a dereliction of duty or something. As down as people were on S5, I remember Castle Black and Meereen being pretty good.

I wish I could just re-watch Jon's part.

It was literally just the wildings stuff.

Azzanadra

If we can't get Martin to write the books, why not just get him to write the final season? Sure he will be working within the constraints that D&D set him in, but seeing as how TV seasons have actual hard deadlines we could get a nice S8 in ~2 years and it would be the closest conclusion to Martin's actual vision that we will ever get. Plus, with D&D out of the picture at least it will be well written TV which is Martin's expertise anyways.

duckroll

If we can't get Martin to write the books, why not just get him to write the final season? Sure he will be working within the constraints that D&D set him in, but seeing as how TV seasons have actual hard deadlines we could get a nice S8 in ~2 years and it would be the closest conclusion to Martin's actual vision that we will ever get. Plus, with D&D out of the picture at least it will be well written TV which is Martin's expertise anyways.

Are you under some delusion that you have any power over what other people want to work on? Lol.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I had the same idea for seasons 7 & 8.

Are you under some delusion that you have any power over what other people want to work on? Lol.
I think it's more like wish-fulfilment lol although if I was going to wish for something it would be Winds now, and Dream in 2021.

Honestly if he can get past Winds, he should be able to breeze through Dream if it is just working towards an ending. Might even inspired since the show will be over and he will want to reveal his superior product.

Top Bottom