• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 4 license costs (w/ source code): $19 monthly sub, 5% royalty rate

UnrealEngine

Epic Games

I want to clarify this:

The UDK page was only moved, and we're taking a look at that redirect right now.

https://unrealengine.com/products/udk is the new page, which still has all UDK information, and the most recent download available.

There is some key information in https://unrealengine.com/faq about UDK, but the quick gist is, "The availability of UE4 doesn't affect your access to UDK.

We encourage all new projects to use Unreal Engine 4. If you're early in development and think you can port over, you should look into it.

If you are well into development or close to shipping your game, we encourage you to keep moving forward as planned and ship with UDK."

And also, Hi everybody! I'm here to answer any questions you may have on this awesome morning!

Pretty much, you have to pay 5% of what you earn with your game. You seem to understand it perfectly fine.

EDIT: Well, not precisely of what you earn, but:

When releasing a product using UE4, you're signing up to pay Epic 5% of gross product revenue from users, regardless of what company collects the revenue. That means: If your game makes $10 on the App Store, Apple may pay you $7, but you'd pay Epic $0.50 (5% of $10).

Oh, I see. Thanks for clearing that up!

I want to clarify this:

The UDK page was only moved, and we're taking a look at that redirect right now.

https://unrealengine.com/products/udk is the new page, which still has all UDK information, and the most recent download available.

There is some key information in https://unrealengine.com/faq about UDK, but the quick gist is, "The availability of UE4 doesn't affect your access to UDK.

We encourage all new projects to use Unreal Engine 4. If you're early in development and think you can port over, you should look into it.

If you are well into development or close to shipping your game, we encourage you to keep moving forward as planned and ship with UDK."

And also, Hi everybody! I'm here to answer any questions you may have on this awesome morning!

Hello. I had no idea you had an account here. So what's your personal favorite aspect of UE4?

_woLf

Hi! I have a few questions :)

Like I said previously, will there be a free version of UDK based on UE4 out there for people to use, similar to how it is now?

About the Marketplace: for those who would like to just create assets to put in the marketplace, do they have to pay the $19 a month? Is the royalty percentage different at all for marketplace purchases?

How different is the general UI and feel of the editor compared to previous versions of UDK? Is it brand new or similar enough that learning the new stuff won't take long?

That 5% off any income you made after college would change that quick.

just think of it as an investor that wants his piece. They "fund" your copy of the engine by not demanding more, and a 5% of something can be just... 5$, 50$, 500$, 5000$.... 50k!$... but to make 50k dollars themselves, your game would have done sales for a value of $1 million.

Durante

Hello Unreal Engine. Can I license you for $19 a month, create a VR (Oculus Rift) demo for some technology we develop at my university, and demonstrate it publicly (for free, obviously) with no further charge?

UnrealEngine

Epic Games
Hello. I had no idea you had an account here. So what's your personal favorite aspect of UE4?

Frankly? Personally, I'm just thrilled about seeing the final products that indies and students make. I've been really fortunate to present UDK in the past at places like Casual Connect and several small indie and student game summits, and the work that people have done in the past has just been phenomenal. I'm also the person who gets to highlight some of those teams on our Social Networks and Website on occasion, so I take their work very seriously.

Knowing that those same talented folks will now be able to make even MORE amazing work?...That they'll be empowered to push themselves even further? That's my favorite thing. #nohype

UnrealEngine

Epic Games
Hello Unreal Engine. Can I license you for $19 a month, create a VR (Oculus Rift) demo for some technology we develop at my university, and demonstrate it publicly (for free, obviously) with no further charge?

Hello Durante - This post for Students and Universities may help:
https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/unreal-engine-4-for-schools-faculty-and-students

The long story short is that any student can personally subscribe for $19/mo, install the software on your own computer(s), and use it for any combination of educational purposes for free.

Horp

I want to clarify this:

1. How is the performance of Slate UI? UI Engines that work in that way, build from script per frame, are usually quite slow. Also, can Slate work with custom shaders?

2. My company does B2B applications, currently in Unity. We don't sell our products for a list price to X number of customers. Instead we have a fixed price per project. How will that work with your revenue percentage model? For a 100 000 dollar project we would owe you 5% of that?

Thank you!

Durante

Hello Durante - This post for Students and Universities may help:
https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/unreal-engine-4-for-schools-faculty-and-students

The long story short is that any student can personally subscribe for $19/mo, install the software on your own computer(s), and use it for any combination of educational purposes for free.
Wait, if I'm reading that right my department can get a single subscription and use it on all PCs owned by our department, including labs?

If so, that is amazing.

UnrealEngine

Epic Games
Yeah, essentially.

I'm sure if you are you can go negotiate with them for a regular license as well.

Nirolak is 100% correct.

Our FAQ will always have the most up to the minute information here: https://unrealengine.com/faq, but the quick answer is that if you require different terms than our standard agreement meets, you can obtain UE4 the "traditional" way which is through a tailored agreement.

We have a custom licensing page here: https://unrealengine.com/custom-licensing that also has a bit more information on this.

daxgame

I want to clarify this:

Hey guys :)
I've worked with UDK for a lot of time, it was great but then had to switch to Unity because I couldn't release for for Android with UDK - unless paying thousand(?) of dollars.

Still, $99 was way less than the Pro version of Unity, and the revenue % was well-set for indie teams. It may have had some limitations but it was good.

Now you're basically taking the opposite approach. You're telling me that I have to pay even to take a look at the engine, and that I can't release a game without having royalties immediately. I mean, it would be OK if at least I didn't have to pay for the engine every month, too.
I hope, at very least, that Android won't require another license this time like the consoles, because that would be suicidal.
Just my 2 cents. Of course, I welcome the thing about the source code, and I understand that you're not exactly targeting small teams with this, but it still makes me a bit sad.

iOS deployment requires a Mac, period.

My bad, I read "development" instead of deployment for some reason. I know that you need a mac to compile

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Okay this explains the console thing:

Epic said:
What if I need to build my game for console?

That's a conversation you'll need to have with us, and we encourage you to do so! Lots of teams are using UE4 to ship on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. It's perfect for teams of all sizes.

In case you're wondering why console code isn't on GitHub, we're giving away as much as we can, however there are non-disclosure agreements and legal restrictions with platform holders that prohibit us from distributing that code.

In addition, we find that console development requires more personalized support, so if you need to ship your game for PlayStation 4 and/or Xbox One, please check our custom licensing page.

UE4 is designed to help developers succeed on consoles, and we want to give you a leg up, so please get in touch!

From the FAQ:
Do I have to worry about a billing contract or penalties for cancelling my subscription?

Your subscription payment automatically recurs, but you’re free to cancel at any time. There’s no penalty for cancellation.

When you cancel your subscription, you won’t receive access to future releases of Unreal Engine 4, however your login will remain active, and you are free to continue using the versions of Unreal Engine 4 which you obtained as a subscriber under the terms of the EULA.
Does this mean I could pay for one month of subscription and play around with the source code/tools for as long as I want if I'm not releasing anything to the public?

sörine

Banned
Fixed for you.

edit: re-edited for the better
Vita license isn't included unless something changed recently. Wii U and Xbox One both grant "free" Unity Pro licenses with the U SDK or ID@Xbox program, but everything else (PS3, PS4, Vita, 360) requires a separate license on top of Unity Pro that's said to run about $40k per platform.

UnrealEngine

Epic Games
Wanted to post a few other FAQs for you guys, just for clarity sake:

What are Unreal Engine 4's system requirements? (PC or Mac)
You will need a powerful setup to get started developing with UE4 right now.
Here's what we recommend:

Desktop PC or Mac
Windows 7 64-bit or Mac OS X 10.9.2 or later
Quad-core Intel or AMD processor, 2.5 GHz or faster
NVIDIA GeForce 470 GTX or AMD Radeon 6870 HD series card or higher
8 GB RAM

Do I have to worry about a billing contract or penalties for cancelling my subscription?
Your subscription payment automatically recurs, but you’re free to cancel at any time. There’s no penalty for cancellation.

When you cancel your subscription, you won’t receive access to future releases of Unreal Engine 4, however your login will remain active, and you are free to continue using the versions of Unreal Engine 4 which you obtained as a subscriber under the terms of the EULA.

I'm currently using UDK. What's your advice for me?
The availability of UE4 doesn't affect your access to UDK.

If you are well into development or close to shipping your game, we encourage you to keep moving forward as planned and ship with UDK. If you find that you are close to shipping and you're running into an issue requiring help, contact us at udk-licensing@epicgames.com. After you ship, start your next project with UE4.

Check out the thread about this on the UDK forums, and if you're on the mailing list, take a look at your email!

I am close to shipping or have shipped projects using UDK. What does this mean for me?
Your terms haven't changed, however we're giving you the option to choose your royalty terms. Pick whichever is more favorable to you and apply either the new UE4 royalty model (5% of gross revenue) or your existing UDK terms (25% of net revenue after you take home $50,000) to all UDK product revenue from January 1, 2014 onward.

Again, check the UDK forums as we're posting info there as well.

Email us at udk-licensing@epicgames.com if you have any questions.

There are more items on the FAQ here: https://www.unrealengine.com/faq but if you have anything that is not reflected, definitely post it and we'll work to update it as fast as we can. :)

UnrealEngine

Epic Games
1. How is the performance of Slate UI? UI Engines that work in that way, build from script per frame, are usually quite slow. Also, can Slate work with custom shaders?

2. My company does B2B applications, currently in Unity. We don't sell our products for a list price to X number of customers. Instead we have a fixed price per project. How will that work with your revenue percentage model? For a 100 000 dollar project we would owe you 5% of that?

Thank you!

For #1 - Unfortunately I'm not well-equipped to answer that one, but I'll work on trying to get an answer for you.

For #2 - At this point, I'd recommend that you reach out for custom licensing help here: https://www.unrealengine.com/custom-licensing.

daxgame

sörine;105017873 said:
Vita license isn't included unless something changed recently. Wii U and Xbox One both grant "free" Unity Pro licenses with the U SDK or ID@Xbox program, but everything else (PS3, PS4, Vita, 360) requires a separate license on top of Unity Pro that's said to run about $40k per platform.

Ah yes.... it wasn't Vita but Microsoft's ID program. Thanks for pointing out :)

Anyway, I know that in the end I will still get a UE4 one-month subscription to check it out... :p

Raxious

3GB remaining.

My laptop doesnt have the recommended stuff, so we'll see what happens. Otherwise PC it is then.

Also, I love how my picture:
Ol6sAlW.png

got not only retweeted by the Unreal Engine twitter, but also by a developer and ended up being retweeted by Mark Rein himself :eek:

Techies

A New Beginning

This first release of Unreal Engine 4 is just the beginning. In the C++ code, you can see many new initiatives underway, for example to support Oculus VR, Linux, Valve’s Steamworks and Steam Box efforts, and deployment of games to web browsers via HTML5. It’s all right there, in plain view, on day one of many years of exciting and open development ahead!

We have enjoyed building Unreal Engine 4 so far and hope you will join us on this journey as a contributor to the future of Unreal!

Linux, your finally gonna do Linux?

UnrealEngine

Epic Games
Linux, your finally gonna do Linux?

Unreal Engine 4 subscription enables you to deploy to Windows PC, Mac, iOS and Android. This is all available through the engine and tools download from the website.

If you access the source code, you'll see that there is early work on other platforms, including Oculus VR, HTML5 and Linux. You are welcome to extend and modify this code, and also build and ship games for these platforms.

Therefore, if you have programming resources you can use UE4 to ship games for Oculus, web browsers, Steambox and anywhere else UE4 might take you in the future.

Releasing the engine source is super cool, it's great to see companies opening up their toolsets like this. I'll probably buy a subscription just to poke around the guts and learn some things.

charsace

How does Epic's documentation compare to Unity's? Because I hate Unity's documentation. Some of it can be vague as hell.

Anyone know what the deal is with lightmass in UE4, is it the same as UE3? Baked lighting and having to create lightmaps for assets etc?
Or is it more dynamic, like Cryengine?

If it's the former UE4 can sod off, i'll stick with CryEngine thanks.

Sesha

Cool. I'm interested in seeing what indies will do with it. On a somewhat related note, I wish certain developers, like Capcom, for example, would offer versions of their in-house engines. Having Capcom offer licences of the MT Framework 2.0 engine out, both to JP devs and internationally, instead of only offering licences to their partners would be amazing.

Well Unity is kind of on the free side right now. I don't mind giving up a few life things that I have to purchase a UE4 license but, I am just barely scratching Unity. So maybe a few years down the road I will revisit this.

Thread Subscribed.

UnrealEngine

Epic Games
Originally Posted by NumberThree

From the FAQ:

Does this mean I could pay for one month of subscription and play around with the source code/tools for as long as I want if I'm not releasing anything to the public?

Would love to get an answer on this.

Hi moneal - yes, definitely! If you cancel your subscription after one month, your login will still remain active and you'll be able to use the version of UE4 you got while you were a subscriber. That said, you won't get any future updates without resubscribing.

For any user who is not selling a product, you don't owe a royalty. Here is the full list of royalty free applications for reference:

No royalties are due on the following:
Ancillary products, including t-shirts, CDs, plushies, action figures and books. The exception is items with embedded data or information, such as QR codes, that affect the operation of the product.

Consulting and work-for-hire services using the engine. This applies to architects using the engine to create visualizations as well as consultants receiving a development fee.

Linear media, including movies, animated films and cartoons distributed as video.

Cabinet-based arcade games and amusement park rides.

Truly free games and apps (with no associated revenue).

Scrabble

How much coding knowledge is required for things like cryengine, unity, UE4? Are the development kits largely self contained enough where you can get a lot done primarily just through the editor? My only real experience is learning how to use the terrain editor in cryengine 3, and some early level programming courses.

Top Bottom