• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unrealistic Expectations of Men from Videogames & Low Self-esteem

Now before anyone complains about all videogame main characters are generic white, dark haired guys, etc. I wanted to make a thread about realistic expectations on what men should look like. This isn't about gender/race or anything like that. This is strictly body characteristics.

It annoys me to no end that pretty much every single main character is pretty much always shredded, and has a perfect hairline. If they don't, then they're either a joke character like a Rufus or a Birdie. Look at Nathan Drake, he's in his late 30s, early 40s, by UC4 and he has a perfect hairline, and still looks like he's in perfect shape. What the hell? He's a pencil pusher and a diver. How does he retain that physique?

The only characters I can think of that are even slightly realistic, although albeit exaggerated are Trevor (GTAV) and Frank West (DR2: Off the Record), and those two are almost jokes as a whole. Even Michael from GTAV was in great shape for his age.

If a character doesn't have a sixpack then he's immediately bucketed into "dad-bod" a term in which I have come to hate, which I can't even think of a single dad bod charcter. Look at characters like Sam Fisher (Splinter Cell), Joel (Last of Us), Max Payne, Ezio (AC: Revelations). Not only do all of these characters not have dad bods, all of them have perfect hairlines (until Max shaved his head). How is this natural? You never see any of these guys work out (except maybe Ezio who is climbing all damn day). They eat and drink as they please. And they all have amazing genetics.

Look at Chris Redfield for example. The guy is a freaking monster. Leon is much thinner than him but even him you can tell is probably shredded. I'm sure there are a million fanarts of sixpacks on Leon. I'm not even going to touch fighting game characters as they're always damn monsters.

I alluded to this in another thread recently but I kill myself every week working out/dieting and I'm probably at a "dad bod" level at best at 29. My hair is thinning/receding, because I guess I lost the genetic lottery. Yet every single one of my friends in the same age range as me is either losing their hair, or has a dad bod.
Meaning not ripped, just normal, or with a small gut. I don't know of a SINGLE GUY that does not have somewhat of a spare tire. This of course isn't just videogames, but all media pretty much portrays the majority of all male characters completely shredded.

I also notice people are much harsher on men in terms of manners. When my hair started thinning? Better believe everyone and their mother felt the need to point it out to me. When I gained a few pounds last year, everyone and their mother felt the need to point it out to me.

How the hell are us real guys supposed to compete? I mean, am I the only that feels like he has shit self-esteem when the guys being plastered everywhere are practically gods?

P.S. I'm specifically picking on videogame characters so I put it in games forum.

Aren't most video game characters performing some type of athleticism? I would argue that "dad-bod" would not be possible for what they have to do. It may not be climbing but you run through a city without falling over.

Video game characters dont have to represent what real people look like.

Be honest, would you want to play a GTA game with protag that looks like Danny Devito?

Nosgotham

if you were a specialized tactical agent who is contantly running and engaging in combat like Leon you would probably be in pretty good shape.

also i really dislike the ''real people dont look like that'' argument. so people with a great physique aren't real?

Alienous

Is anybody really comparing themselves to video game characters or is this a anti- Feminist Frequency hypothetical? I can't tell.

Video game characters dont have to represent what real people look like.

Be honest, would you want to play a GTA game with protag that looks like Danny Devito?

Come on now, a Danny Devito main character in a game would pull in millions. Imagine it, Danny leading in a gta game, revolver duck taped to his back and all. I mean at least I would buy it.

R00bot

Is anybody really comparing themselves to video game characters or is this a anti- Feminist Frequency hypothetical? I can't tell.

Are the females that complain about this kind of thing really comparing themselves to video game characters?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Look at Nathan Drake, he's in his late 30s, early 40s, by UC4 and he has a perfect hairline, and still looks like he's in perfect shape. What the hell? He's a pencil pusher and a diver. How does he retain that physique?

By...diving? That's real exercise, you know, especially if you're doing it regularly as a job.

I'm absolutely not pushing anti-feminist anything. I completely sympathize with women getting more representation in videgames. Just like I do believe other races besides white need more representation. For example, I'm latino and would love a latino character that isn't just a stereotype. I'm just saying that the men that are in video games are all exaggerations. I don't know a single guy can that can match any of these males in real life.

Seesaw15

The most popular video game character in the world has a dad bod and the ladies love him.

MarioSMBW.png

gogojira

People aren't fighting for unfit women in games or non heroic characters; it's more about clothes that cover more than nipples or the cracks of their ass. That's basically what this thread is about.

A more apt comparison would be if Nathan Drake ran around with a 12 inch dong wearing only a banana hammock to battle.

Chris_C

I totally understand/see where you're coming from, but I've never personally felt any pressure to compete with videogame/comic book characters, primarily because I rarely see women who consider these characters sexy or particularly attractive. Pretty sure they're designed to mostly appeal to the male power fantasy. This is itself a problem.

Note, I didn't say that there aren't women who find these characters attractive (I'm sure there are), I just don't don't think it's particularly common.

That said, as a 34 year old man, I'm not sure how I'm expected to compete with Justin Bieber and his delicious youth.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
As far as single player games go, they were already unrealistic. Resident evil does a weird thing with this.
In RE1 Chris was suppose in one top special squad unit. Yet his team easily get taken down by zombies. He also has a rather lean physique with his partner Wesker having a pair of big manly arms build. Then, in RE5 we see Chris again but this time after years of training to stop the zambambos, he becomes a hulking god of a man who can punch boulders to death. And we see Wesker again who for some inexplicable reason, seems to be thinner in his Black coat. I guess ouroboros ruins your wrestling physic by 5 years.
Point is developers aren't looking to create realistic designs in unrealistic games. They just want to design characters which seem like they would mostly fit for the game's setting.

Astral Dog

there is a problem with diversification but remember videogame characters are NOT supossed to be realistic,even in the more grounded games.

You will want your character to look appealing, attractive, interesting, outstanding, etc.

Mihos

Gold Member
What if I told you your not competing with fantasy dude who jumps when hit X. Just like the cute nurse I married in my 30s was never competing with Lara Croft.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I'm absolutely not pushing anti-feminist anything. I completely sympathize with women getting more representation in videgames. Just like I do believe other races besides white need more representation. For example, I'm latino and would love a latino character that isn't just a stereotype. I'm just saying that the men that are in video games are all exaggerations. I don't know a single guy can that can match any of these males in real life.

I know several, but I live in Los Angeles, so that's probably not fair.

Alienous

But you aren't supposed to match these characters. They are the virtual equivalent of Hollywood action movie actors.

The Latino representation is a different argument. I agree with you there.

ngl Alienous phrased that troll very poorly

Troll? "How the hell are us real guys supposed to compete?" had me confused if this was genuine. Compete with who? Virtual characters? For what? Virtual boyfriends/girlfriends?

I know a lot of guys in their 30s that can match/beat them in physiques, but I go to the gym a lot and meet a lot of active people when I walk my dog. Yea the average American male isn't fit but that doesn't mean fit people don't exist.

I get your thought though, but I don't think video games are crushing the self esteem of men.

Astral Dog

I also notice people are much harsher on men in terms of manners. When my hair started thinning? Better believe everyone and their mother felt the need to point it out to me. When I gained a few pounds last year, everyone and their mother felt the need to point it out to me.

And this is true, but thats nothing new , people are assholes.im not sure they got it from their videogames.

This is false. You watch any election cycle and count how many time women politician clothes, hair, shoes, or weight is brought up compared to the men politicians.

I even took a course by the current chair of the DNC on this topic and we watched and read different media to prove this.

Arion

I get where you are coming from but ultimately video games are about wish fulfillment. Most people wouldn't want to play as someone with a dad-bod with a receding hairline. As much as people are raving about Danny Devito in this thread (granted that is a huge exception to the rule cause Devito is fucking awesome) or as much as people declare their love of Rufus or Birdy, characters like Ken and Ryu will always be more popular. That's just fact. People wanna play as the handsome tough guys or the suave pretty boys.

As for real life expectations; if people are expecting you to look like action hero characters in real life then you need to just straight up ignore them.

I get where you are coming from but ultimately video games are about wish fulfillment. Most people wouldn't want to play as someone with a dad-bod with a receding hairline. As much as people are raving about Danny Devito in this thread (granted that is a huge exception to the rule cause Devito is fucking awesome) or as much as people declare their love of Rufus or Birdy, characters like Ken and Ryu will always be more popular. That's just fact. People wanna play as the handsome tough guys or the suave pretty boys.

As for real life expectations; if people are expecting you to look like action hero characters in real life then you need to just straight up ignore them.

It's also why we like seeing sexy women in videogames even though a lot of people are against that nowadays.

TSM

If your average guy cared more about how they and other men looked you'd have more of a point. Most men only do as much grooming as is deemed socially necessary and move along with their day. The pressure men feel about being bald, fat or short already comes from real life. The amount a game would add onto this pressure is going to be insignificant.

Top Bottom