• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unrealistic Expectations of Men from Videogames & Low Self-esteem

vikkemon

Idk OP, maybe you're just at that time of your life that you feel pressured by those things?

I have a low self esteem as well but I don't take it that hard because I constantly find myself craving that sweet escapism that Forever Changes said. Playing as these characters feels good somehow.

Like you said, men (and women) are depicted like that across all types of media and I can see how it can be overwhelming to some. It's understandable to be upset with that and it's always a good thing when we get more diversity in mainstream culture.

No guy I know has the balls to tell a girl she's getting fat.

hillary-clinton-benghazi2.jpg

Stop dude. Women are constantly subjected to more comments about their appearance. This isn't me being SJW or white knighting, this is factual. Especially when you consider that in most cultures the threshold for what is acceptable for women in terms of looks is much lower than compared to men. So a man can have 25% body fat and it wouldn't be an issue but a women having that much would cause comments.

Whether or not you know guys that have the balls for it doesn't mean that it doesn't happen at a disproportionate rate.

Zombine

Banned
I take issue more with unrealistic expectations that romance films and novels create. I can probably learn how to double jump, but I can't fuckin communicate with you through a mailbox from the past.

I'm sorry I'm not romantic enough.

Also I'm alright with the Danny Devito idea.

Regarding the OP though I think a lot of the games you pointed out have dudes doing insane feats like Leon does a roundhouse kick, Chris punches a bolder, and Drake climbs mountains. I kind of expect them to have thin athletic builds same goes for Lara Croft in Tomb Raider and certain other female VG characters at least for games trying to be 'realistic' or tell a serious story (even if it sucks like in TR).

I think a character's look should be a result of their actions within the game's story or universe. Most of the characters you play are performing incredible physical feats which should be reflected in their incredible physiques. A lot of games in which this isn't the case usually reflect their characters appearances accordingly.

RedSwirl

Look at main characters in action movies.

Now look at how many of the big games you're thinking about are action games in the same mold.

Oh forgot to add, almost every single video game character is over 6ft. Cause you know, that's completely necessary.
Edit: Except apparently Chris & Leon!

stryke

What the hell? He's a pencil pusher and a diver. How does he retain that physique?

It doesn't take much imagination to think he'd go to the gym or something. Does the game have to physically make a gym workout chapter to convince you how he stays in shape?

It doesn't take much imagination to think he'd go to the gym or something. Does the game have to physically make a gym workout chapter to convince you how he stays in shape?

I dunno maybe if he had a damn home gym, or atleast a camera sweep past a LA Fitness membership. Not coming home, eating shit, and playing Crash Bandicoot.

Some Nobody

I don't know that it even makes sense for most protagonists in video games not to be in great fucking shape. Nate should be at peak human+, since there's no way he's going to do all that freaking climbing like he does and not die if he was even a little overweight.

Trojan

So first off, I categorically disagree with OP's assertion that society is "harsher" on men than women for physical appearances. That applies to games, movies, and pretty much anything in the cultural realm. It's just totally not accurate. There is an abundance of studies that backs that up. If you want an easy example, look at the tabloids next time you're at the store - they're entirely filled with garbage about celebrity women gaining weight or getting a boob job. Our culture is obsessed with this, and women get the brunt of that pressure.

It's still a valid point to bring up men getting the same treatment. But don't compare it to women because there is no contest about which of the two have more societal pressure on body.

As far as the self-esteem thing, in general you just need to totally dismiss body portrayals you see in mainstream entertainment. Entertainment products, especially with the target market of videogames that are young men, will always leverage good-looking, maculine lead characters to some extent because it plays into the hero stereotype. You're right in that they're unrealistic, so be aware of that and just worry about what you can do to make yourself better, whether that's just being happy or getting more exercise or meeting new people. If all your friends are getting fatter and you want to change, start taking steps down that path and you will be the one that starts getting complements.

TL;DR - women have much more pressure than men on physical appearance in society, and never use a video game character as a barometer for what a "normal" person looks like.

GorillaJu

Yeah I can't say I've ever felt my self esteem or self image was harmed by fictional hard bodies and sexy hair lines.

It's fine with me that people are attractive in games, I just hope their faces have some kind of personality to them, not just "generic hunk".

So first off, I categorically disagree with OP's assertion that society is "harsher" on men than women for physical appearances. That applies to games, movies, and pretty much anything in the cultural realm. It's just totally not accurate. There is an abundance of studies that backs that up. If you want an easy example, look at the tabloids next time you're at the store - they're entirely filled with garbage about celebrity women gaining weight or getting a boob job. Our culture is obsessed with this, and women get the brunt of that pressure.

It's still a valid point to bring up men getting the same treatment. But don't compare it to women because there is no contest about which of the two have more societal pressure on body.

As far as the self-esteem thing, in general you just need to totally dismiss body portrayals you see in mainstream entertainment. Entertainment products, especially with the target market of videogames that are young men, will always leverage good-looking, maculine lead characters to some extent because it plays into the hero stereotype. You're right in that they're unrealistic, so be aware of that and just worry about what you can do to make yourself better, whether that's just being happy or getting more exercise or meeting new people. If all your friends are getting fatter and you want to change, start taking steps down that path and you will be the one that starts getting complements.

TL;DR - women have much more pressure than men on physical appearance in society, and never use a video game character as a barometer for what a "normal" person looks like.

This isn't about men vs women.
I have a son and a daughter and I don't want either of them to grow up with self-esteem issues thanks to tabloids and other media.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I dunno maybe if he had a damn home gym, or atleast a camera sweep past a LA Fitness membership. Not coming home, eating shit, and playing Crash Bandicoot.

He spent the day diving and excavating an underwater wreck. He got his exercise for the day already.

I work out several days a week and will probably never look as ripped as some male characters in games but it's alright OP...they're games...

Shang

I think lack of body diversity is an issue that affects both genders. It's definitely worse with female characters, but most characters are created to be attractive and marketable. It's just how most stuff works. I imagine it's a tough spot to be in as a character designer-- having to come up with a physique that makes sense for the character (most videogame protagonists engage in vigorous physical activity), showcases a broad range of body types, or is easily marketable. It's a matter of priority, and symptomatic of a larger issue with the way people are used to sell products, rather than a problem with the videogame industry alone.

EDIT: Not to mention, realism vs. escapism. There's not really a right answer on which you should value more-- a character that the player can connect with and relate to physically, or a character that the player can connect with by pretending they were like physically. It's an interesting subject, and due to its ambiguity, I don't think it's really doing a huge injustice to anyone. I'd like to see more diversity in body types in videogames, just because it would make the characters more visually interesting, but I totally understand why most characters are hunks/babes.

Zolo

Kinda an issue in general media (and for both genders, women much more so), and it's one that the general population also seems to prefer. People want to look at people they find attractive whether it's movies, tv, and yes, video games. You'll get some general exceptions like the Silent Hill series which is generally pretty good, but otherwise, it's kinda how it is. Personally, I find most people who simply keep themselves healthy and at pretty much average weight healthy, but obviously almost all don't look at the hansome/beautiful people in media where part of the appeal is them looking good. To me, I'd just prefer it if their could at least be more important overweight/unattractive characters in general without devolving to them having to be evil or an enemy because you know they'd look some form of attractive if they needed to be around a while.

Doomguy has been creating unrealistic expectations since 1993.

2136167-3.jpeg

I mean who designs armor so that your six pack and biceps are the only body part exposed? not very practical.

This is now the thread where everyone found out they want a GTA game starring Danny DeVito.

Can we get a mod to change the thread? Fuck unrealistic expectations. More Danny Devito plz.

I work out several days a week and will probably never look as ripped as some male characters in games but it's alright OP...they're games...

But why is this ok? Because it's videogames, it's just a write off?

I think lack of body diversity is an issue that affects both genders. It's definitely worse with female characters, but most characters are created to be attractive and marketable. It's just how most stuff works. I imagine it's a tough spot to be in as a character designer-- having to come up with a physique that makes sense for the character (most videogame protagonists engage in vigorous physical activity), showcases a broad range of body types, or is easily marketable. It's a matter of priority, and symptomatic of a larger issue with the way people are used to sell products, rather than a problem with the videogame industry alone.

EDIT: Not to mention, realism vs. escapism. There's not really a right answer on which you should value more-- a character that the player can connect with and relate to physically, or a character that the player can connect with by pretending they were like physically. It's an interesting subject, and due to its ambiguity, I don't think it's really doing a huge injustice to anyone. I'd like to see more diversity in body types in videogames, just because it would make the characters more visually interesting, but I totally understand why most characters are hunks/babes.

I agree. Although some characters I don't understand at all. Take a character like Joel. Would it have killed them to make him a little older? Maybe a little balding? I mean just stress alone should have had him looking like Cynthia from Rugrats.

Kinda an issue in general media (and for both genders, women much more so), and it's one that the general population also seems to prefer. People want to look at people they find attractive whether it's movies, tv, and yes, video games. You'll get some general exceptions like the Silent Hill series which is generally pretty good, but otherwise, it's kinda how it is. Personally, I find most people who simply keep themselves healthy and at pretty much average weight healthy, but obviously almost all don't look at the hansome/beautiful people in media where part of the appeal is them looking good. To me, I'd just prefer it if their could at least be more important overweight/unattractive characters in general without devolving to them having to be evil or an enemy because you know they'd look some form of attractive if they needed to be around a while.

Absolutely agree. If they're overweight, ugly, short, bad teeth, hell anything, then they're either a bad guy or a joke.

You just gotta start hitting the gym OP.

You missed the part where I do, 5-6 times a week.

Doomguy has been creating unrealistic expectations since 1993.

2136167-3.jpeg

I mean who designs armor so that your six pack and biceps are the only body part exposed? not very practical.

Doomguy is a fucking jerk.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Eh, I prefer generally unrealistic depictions of women in video games, who am I to judge unrealistic depictions of men?

Why do people think that hitting gym 6 times week will get them in shredded shape? There are like bazillion articles and guides and videos on the internet that tell you exactly not to do that.

And I'd be surprised if a guy who dived for a living isn't shredded.

Spiralling anabolic steroid use leaves UK facing health timebomb, experts warn

Image-obsessed young males use drug to build muscle but growing health toll includes HIV infection rate equal to that of heroin users

Britain is experiencing an epidemic of anabolic steroid use among image-obsessed young men, according to experts, who warn the country faces a health timebomb from a problem which is significantly underrepresented in official statistics.

The Crime Survey for England and Wales estimates that just under 60,000 people a year take the drugs, which mimic the effects of testosterone and boost muscle growth. But people who work with steroid users say the real figure could be many times greater, with the vast majority of users injecting the drugs and many doing so at gyms.

“It is a big underestimate,” said Professor Julien Baker, an expert in steroid use from the University of the West of Scotland. “There are needle exchanges in Cardiff and Glasgow which say they’ve seen a 600% increase for steroid users over 10 years. The real figure is definitely in the hundreds of thousands.”

With this comes a growing health toll, including an HIV infection rate among steroid users which has reached 1.5% – as high as that for injectors of drugs such as heroin – and growing rates of hepatitis B and C infection.

As well as the immediate effects of the steroids, which can include high blood pressure and aggression, those who work with users say people are taking increasingly high doses and for longer periods, putting them at risk of depression, heart problems and even long-term cognitive damage.

Use of roids among young men ruining their bodies are on the rise many places; https://www.theguardian.com/society...oid-use-leaves-britain-facing-health-timebomb

Of course video games being part of pop culture has a part of that. But nobody gives a shit because there exist no meaningful actual support groups for men. The MRAs you know went off the grid and blamed women, instead of solving their own which is terrible.

A lot of men are not doing too hot right now, falling behind in education. Instead of learning from feminism trying to make powerful networks, NGOs and organizations that try to promote better body images it has been swept under the rug.
I do a lot of martial arts (MMA, jiu-jitsu, thai) and I can tell you for a fact that many people are popping roids. I am in complete shock in how prevalent it is many places. In Brazil it is practically normal. You see all these characters you love on TV, in movies (and games too) and you think everyone can just get that big, and when you cannot, or dont understand it takes a long time (many years) guys skimpy out and go for the drugs.
They can seriously mess with your heart and alter your mood:(
Sometimes men are their own worst enemies because masculinity is that you don't bitch like a fucking little girl. you keep it locked down and don't whine. take it like a man you pussy. But its that exact attitude that takes guys over the edge, and probably causes poor mental health where they cause mayham on themselves and sometimes on others. bent up sexual frustration, and if combined with roids increase testes can cause anger issues. Its a terrible cocktail.
My opinion is not that there is anything with swole guy characters (nor sexy female characters). The problem is just when in school, at home and through life guys are not properly equipped to understand the difference between fantasy and realistic expectations. But I think roids and big muscles is a small part of it. cosmetic surgery, nose jobs and similar are also on the rise for men. Society as a whole expects more of us which leaves many feeling inadequate. This goes beyond gaming. I hope men will be better to organize in the future in a productive way, because this last batch of MRAs completely failed men (and women) in the most perverse and ignorant way.

Use of roids among young men ruining their bodies are on the rise many places; https://www.theguardian.com/society...oid-use-leaves-britain-facing-health-timebomb

Of course video games being part of pop culture has a part of that. But nobody gives a shit because there exist no meaningful actual support groups for men. The MRAs you know went off the grid and blamed women, instead of solving their own which is terrible.

A lot of men are not doing too hot right now, falling behind in education. Instead of learning from feminism trying to make powerful networks, NGOs and organizations that try to promote better body images it has been swept under the rug.
I do a lot of martial arts (MMA, jiu-jitsu, thai) and I can tell you for a fact that many people are popping roids. I am in complete shock in how prevalent it is many places. In Brazil it is practically normal. You see all these characters you love on TV, in movies (and games too) and you think everyone can just get that big, and when you cannot, or dont understand it takes a long time (many years) guys skimpy out and go for the drugs.
They can seriously mess with your heart and alter your mood:(
Sometimes men are their own worst enemies because masculinity is that you don't bitch like a fucking little girl. you keep it locked down and don't whine. take it like a man you pussy. But its that exact attitude that takes guys over the edge, and probably causes poor mental health where they cause mayham on themselves and sometimes on others. bent up sexual frustration, and if combined with roids increase testes can cause anger issues. Its a terrible cocktail.
My opinion is not that there is anything with swole guy characters (nor sexy female characters). The problem is just when in school, at home and through life guys are not properly equipped to understand the difference between fantasy and realistic expectations. But I think roids and big muscles is a small part of it. cosmetic surgery, nose jobs and similar are also on the rise for men. Society as a whole expects more of us which leaves many feeling inadequate. This goes beyond gaming. I hope men will be better to organize in the future in a productive way, because this last batch of MRAs completely failed men (and women) in the most perverse and ignorant way.
Great read thanks. Yeah I personally just off of prohormones (oral steroids) a month ago. Still taking test boosters and shit to make sure I don't get side effects. At my gym there are a shit ton of roiders. You can tell by the way their muscles look like water balloons. Guys have image issues too, and I assure you videogames contribute just as much as any other media.

I can see where you're coming from, and I mostly agree, although I don't really feel pressure from it and I don't agree that men's looks are judged harsher than women's.

It'd certainly be nice to see more body variety for men (and women too, but that's not what this thread's about). It's not just about the body variety directly either, but also about more variety in genres. A lot of the games you listed are very action heavy, and in a lot of those cases it makes sense the character is in very good shape (though yes, there's room for more body variety too).

It's also why we like seeing sexy women in videogames even though a lot of people are against that nowadays.
Nobody's against it.

(Hint: people just want more characters that aren't so sexualized. It's fine to not want that too, but at least know what people are arguing about.)

People aren't fighting for unfit women in games or non heroic characters; it's more about clothes that cover more than nipples or the cracks of their ass. That's basically what this thread is about.

A more apt comparison would be if Nathan Drake ran around with a 12 inch dong wearing only a banana hammock to battle.
A lot of people do want more body diversity for women too. It's not just about sexualization. We've had a lot of threads about it too.

You're focusing on the wrong problems.
What are the right problems then? What are the problems that everyone should focus on in your opinion, and what are the problems that nobody should focus on?

I refuse to believe this isn't parody.

Bravo.
This is just a bad post.

I take issue more with unrealistic expectations that romance films and novels create. I can probably learn how to double jump, but I can't fuckin communicate with you through a mailbox from the past.

I'm sorry I'm not romantic enough.

Lol.

Problem with games, is that they're mostly action based, so having an unfit physique doesn't really work for the character.
But, P.I. Scott Shelby had a pretty realistic physique.

I can see where you're coming from, and I mostly agree, although I don't really feel pressure from it and I don't agree that men's looks are judged harsher than women's.

Never said they're harsher. Just said that as a man people have no problem telling me shit to make me feel like shit with no holds barred. I've literally gone to gettys before where everyone just compliments the girls, then literally boom turn to the guys "dude you're getting fat."

Last year in fact, at a friend's party, they posted up mock posters for me and my best friend because both of us had gained some weight, calling our women pig snatchers and cowherders for being with us fat guys.

Lol.

Problem with games, is that they're mostly action based, so having an unfit physique doesn't really work for the character.
But, P.I. Scott Shelby had a pretty realistic physique.
Coincidentally the bad guy.

Regardless of your gender, if you're basing your body expectations on a motherloving videogame character, well you might have deeper issues than the industry creative directions.

Could care less. Maybe because I have a six pack and I'm ripped? /privilege.

I don't see this as an issue compared to other things.

Painguy

Regardless of your gender, if you're basing your body expectations on a motherloving videogame character, well you might have deeper issues than the industry creative directions.

Yeah I'm gonna have to go with this. At the end of the day video games are a fantasy which allow you to be someone you aren't (and might want to be). Trying to associate reality with that is, as the above poster pointed out, a sign of deeper issues IMO. <----- keyword

It's the same as any other media, movies, magazines, tv shows, etc. Why is this so hard for some of you to grasp?

This is a bad thread. There is no expectation set upon men the way it is for women, which is what he's lowkey implying.

Not at all what I'm implying.

Kawika

OP set a new record for number of times the word "shredded" is used in one post

shredder.jpg

I am not going to lie, he deserves this title (and my jealousy for getting it) Also I would be day 1 for a DannyD GTA. Especially, in Philly

Receding hair lines, back hair, spare tires and dad bods aren't common in any form of media yet most men suffer from 1 or more of these odd man traits.

I suffer from homer beard. As soon as I shave it, it comes back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gIhaXYAOAQ

Spoiler

But Shelby is still fairly unique for being a playable character.

Never said they're harsher. Just said that as a man people have no problem telling me shit to make me feel like shit with no holds barred. I've literally gone to gettys before where everyone just compliments the girls, then literally boom turn to the guys "dude you're getting fat."

Last year in fact, at a friend's party, they posted up mock posters for me and my best friend because both of us had gained some weight, calling our women pig snatchers and cowherders for being with us fat guys.
Context matters.
Some groups of friends simply relate to each other by giving each other a bit of a ribbing.

That being said, those friends aren't being particularly nice to your women either with those labels. Are they only nice to single, available ladies with whom they think they have a chance perhaps?

Top Bottom