• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unrealistic Expectations of Men from Videogames & Low Self-esteem

78nKwKi.gif

I support increasing the diversity of game characters in general and don't want to dismiss your concerns about that, but to answer your question, no I have never felt inadequate because of a male game character.

You may be self-conscious about your hair and body, but it is possible for guys older than 20 to be in shape and have hair. I'm not "shredded" but I turned 32 this summer and am pretty fit. I still get carded and actually have more hair now than I did in college. I feel like I'm in my prime.

This should be the same answer to the Feminist Frequancy threads about female character looks too then.

If a woman feels pressured to look like video game character, then yes. I think the angle FF takes is (slightly) different. Regardless, I won't touch those threads with a 10 foot stick.

I always figured the male power fantasy guys would encourage more men to get into better shape by eating and living healthier.

I swear a quater of the guys I see at the gym are there because of Dragon Ball Z. DBZ had a massive influence on getting kids/teens into working out and training.

I always figured the male power fantasy guys would encourage more men to get into better shape by eating and living healthier.

I swear a quater of the guys I see at the gym are there because of Dragon Ball Z. DBZ had a massive influence on getting kids/teens into working out and training.
Omg yes. DBZ was one of my biggest motivator factors as a teenager, I didn't want to be the chubby kid. I wanted to be Goku and busted my ass to get lean. Now at 29 I'm in good shape but it's definitely harder.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
You would be surprised. Even before I started getting in shape I would be able to do 8 miles a day mixed with jogging/sprinting based off of sheer competitiveness with friends. Yeah I wanted to die a few days later from soreness but the day of I was going.

Now think what one could do training hard for hours a day...

Racing competitions with friends and fighting for your life against lots of enemies are not comparable in any way though and you are totally crazy if you think that a normal(even super atlethic) man could do what game characters can do, even the normal looking ones are superheroes, they can endure lots of mortal hits, don't need to sleep or eat, they can immediately and completely heal just eating something, they can see the future(when you reload a savegame after a death) and trying as many times as they want thanks to lives, checkpoints, savegames etc, in real life an error and you are dead, forever.

The size of muscles isn't even everything, should an olympic swimmer feel inferior to a body builder because he has smaller muscles?

Gaius

Banned
Well, i think it's pretty simple. Look at the sculptures from Greek / Roman times, why they didn't sculpt overweight middle aged males with receding hairlines? Why most artists paint beautiful people? Why in Matrix instead of Keanu Reeves we didn't get Jonah Hill at his fattest?

We like beautiful things, whether it be people or environments. We have to have role models, and dream big, we want to achieve and be better. We want our characters to represent everything that is best in a man or a woman. We want them to be strong, smart, interesting, have the values that were polished for millennia. That doesn't mean they have to be perfect, which i'm not even hinting at. But they have to be autonomous strong beings, that can impact the world around them in a more significant way than most of us ever will be able to do.

Now, in your OP you're only addressing the appearance of male characters, which is fine. But now get in the shoes of developer. What kind of character can save the universe? Be the hero? What kind of character can be the best at something physical?

Usually these are the characters which won the genetic lottery. They are better than other people, and they look better as a consequence.

At least that's how i look at it.

petran79

Banned
I dont mind. Those were my video game heroes...(minus purple). As a teen I felt more connected to them than any macho heroes or criminals, whether male or female.
In Monkey Island I always liked to exact revenge on the 3 role models (Swordmaster, Otis and Captain) who left Guybrush to fend for himself at Monkey Island, while they got a sun tan on the ship.

But now it is indeed even harder to find something similar for my age. Maybe in some adventure games, eg those of Wadjet Eye

2025.jpg

screenshot847-0.jpg

loom_bobbin.jpg

Ever thought about why most movie stars have great body? Almost 95% of them have great physique. In case of action movies, 99% have great physique, unless it's a comedy like American ninja.

Initially I thought you meant the 1985 movie. Didnt know about the new series

Now think what one could do training hard for hours a day...
Racing competitions with friends and fighting for your life against lots of enemies are not comparable in any way though.

Should an olympic swimmer feel inferior to a body builder because of his muscles? Again you shouldn't even think to compare yourself to game characters.
The point is that adrenaline can enable people to do incredible shit.

Budi

As a white male I have never really thought that i'm not represented in videogames. Even though my body type rarely is, atleast as a lead and/or non-comedic character.

But I would welcome more diversity in game characters overall and that includes different shapes and sizes, not just gender, race etc. which are really important.

I wouldn't except character like Nathan Drake in bit more "realistic" game like Uncharted to look anything like me. But in fantasy games the rules of real world don't really apply. Even something like Adam Jensen in Deus Ex doesn't need to be really fit to do what he does. Since his athletism comes from the augments, not working out and eating healthy. Ofcourse he needs to fit in the vents though. Also games that are about shooting primarily and not acrobatic movement don't need athletic leads. You can pull the trigger even with a fat finger. Also any magic user could be any body type imaginable, it's not fat burning with those fireballs.

In TV and cinema I often find myself enjoying products that have diversity in the cast and feel more real. And by real I don't mean that attractive people don't exist, ofcourse they do. Even in the media I usually enjoy. But the whole cast isn't recruited through modeling agency. Two examples of TV, Sopranos and Boardwalk Empire. They are similar shows in their subject matter. But their male leads are from the different sides of body type spectrum, Buscemi and Gandolfini. Both with receding hairlines btw. And I would find it hard to believe that anyone disliked these shows because of these actors looks.

About the self-esteem, videogames have no bearing to it for me. What does is other people's hurtful and dismissive attitudes and words. I don't mind people looking up to healthy bodies and lush piece of hair. But I do mind people looking down at others.

Edit: I do however have beard for my character if possible (and if it's a male character). I can't grow a decent beard in real life and that pisses me off.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
There's nothing wrong with wanting better representation or more body diversity.

That said, feeling "inadequate" because you compare yourself to video game characters is... bizarre, to say the least. And I would say the same if the OP were female.

There's nothing wrong with wanting better representation or more body diversity.

That said, feeling "inadequate" because you compare yourself to video game characters is... bizarre, to say the least. And I would say the same if the OP were female.

I never said I felt inadequate. Just saying that it's kinda bullshit how perfect all these characters are.

killbox

Kane and Lynch?

games are often aspiration. Body types are in line with that. No one aspires to be out of shape....

I dont mind. Those were my video game heroes...(minus purple). As a teen I felt more connected to them than any macho heroes or criminals, whether male or female.
In Monkey Island I always liked to exact revenge on the 3 role models (Swordmaster, Otis and Captain) who left Guybrush to fend for himself at Monkey Island, while they got a sun tan on the ship.

But now it is indeed even harder to find something similar for my age. Maybe in some adventure games, eg those of Wadjet Eye

2025.jpg

screenshot847-0.jpg

loom_bobbin.jpg

Initially I thought you meant the 1985 movie. Didnt know about the new series

That monkey island look is so fresh. Shame they remade it with generic cartoon graphics. Obviously part of the design was to make it look like the cover of a treasure island, old adventure series book.

bobone

Sounds like you need to start working out OP. Out of the characters you listed, Chris from RE5 is the only one with unrealistic proportions.
Drake, Joel, Leon are hardly "ripped". They look pretty darn normal/healthy to me.

If you were talking about guys from Gears of War or God of War then you would have a legit argument.

ScOULaris

San Andreas was the best of all worlds. You could be as fat, skinny, or ripped as you wanted to be. Whether you're looking for escapism or sobering reality, San Andreas has your preferences covered.

san-andreas-cj.jpg

Sounds like you need to start working out OP. Out of the characters you listed, Chris from RE5 is the only one with unrealistic proportions.
Drake, Joel, Leon are hardly "ripped". They look pretty darn normal/healthy to me.

If you were talking about guys from Gears of War or God of War then you would have a legit argument.
Wait I'm supposed to work out? Holy shit I never thought about that. Thought this would just happen magically. Thanks for the tip!

RM8

I think it's pretty normal that game characters have builds similar to those of athletes, considering the nature of most videogames. Heck, if anything, can you imagine Mario's calorie intake in order to keep his chubby physique despite all the insane running and jumping? :p

San Andreas was the best of all worlds. You could be as fat, skinny, or ripped as you wanted to be. Whether you're looking for escapism or sobering reality, San Andreas has your preferences covered.

I don't think the other GTAs have this feature. That's why I get bored of them, the characters are ugly and out of shape. That's fine for joke characters like Mario and Wario, I don't need it in my action games.

ScOULaris

I don't think the other GTAs have this feature. That's why I get bored of them, the characters are ugly and out of shape. That's fine for joke characters like Mario and Wario, I don't need it in my action games.

Well, I'd wager that the majority of players got CJ ripped when they played through San Andreas. Much like in real life, the character is much more capable when in shape and even gets more compliments from random NPC's.

What? So it bothers if a character isn't muscled as hell?

I wouldn't say bothers. The game just might not interest me as much. But likewise, I wouldn't want something like muscled Mario or edgy Yoshi, it would look out of place. Keep cartoony games whimsical and keep realistic games cool.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
The point is that adrenaline can enable people to do incredible shit.

If you think you could be able to kill lots of armed enemies you are seriously batshit crazy, what do you think your enemies are? Puppets? Don't they have this miraculous adrenaline too? You aren't the invincible game hero while your enemies are game mobs, you are all humans, what applies to you applies to them too, with the difference that you are alone, inexperienced and completely stupid or insane or both(just for the thought of being able to do what game heroes do) while your enemies are many, organized and trained. Do you really think that you or any other normal guy can take a gun and go killing groups of criminals, soldiers, mercenaries or whatever that have years of experience in shooting and fighting? If so please stop NOW playing games and watching action movies and try to understand that the real world works in a campletely different way.

OP, don't sweat it. Age happens to lots of guys, and its easy to let yourself go when you get comfortable/married/kids/job etc.

Dedicate yourself to eating better, quality, whole foods (not from Whole Foods unless you're a baller tho). It's a big lift at first, but it gets easier to make good choices every time you make a good choice, so believe in yourself on that one.

Don't base expectations of how you think you should look based on what you see in games, or other media. Set a goal for yourself and pursue that. Recognize that it'll take awhile, so make some step goals. Enjoy the progress you make. Enjoy the little wins. Don't beat yourself up if you have a bad day. Just keep up the pursuit. It's not about anyone else, or what they say, or what you think that THEY think of you.

I recommend exercise, specifically lifting. Nothing wrong with cardio though, so if that's what works for you, then go for that. Just choose what you want to do and how you want to look, then get to it.

petran79

Banned
That monkey island look is so fresh. Shame they remade it with generic cartoon graphics. Obviously part of the design was to make it look like the cover of a treasure island, old adventure series book.

Yes, I'd have preferred a Day of the Tentacle redesign instead. Monkey Island had serious issues moving to 3D.

OP, don't sweat it. Age happens to lots of guys, and its easy to let yourself go when you get comfortable/married/kids/job etc.

Dedicate yourself to eating better, quality, whole foods (not from Whole Foods unless you're a baller tho). It's a big lift at first, but it gets easier to make good choices every time you make a good choice, so believe in yourself on that one.

Don't base expectations of how you think you should look based on what you see in games, or other media. Set a goal for yourself and pursue that. Recognize that it'll take awhile, so make some step goals. Enjoy the progress you make. Enjoy the little wins. Don't beat yourself up if you have a bad day. Just keep up the pursuit. It's not about anyone else, or what they say, or what you think that THEY think of you.

I recommend exercise, specifically lifting. Nothing wrong with cardio though, so if that's what works for you, then go for that. Just choose what you want to do and how you want to look, then get to it.
This post says it all here. OP I am also your age and I kind of let my body go over the past few years but I have started to adopt a more healthy lifestyle recently and it has done wonders for me. No I do not look anything like the majority of male videogame or movie protagonists but I feel satisfied with who I am and what genetics have given me. It is a process that takes time but once you get going the benefits for your health are really worth it in the long run.

If you think you could be able to kill lots of armed enemies you are seriously batshit crazy, what do you think your enemies are? Puppets? Don't they have this miraculous adrenaline too? You aren't the invincible game hero while your enemies are game mobs, you are all humans, what applies to you applies to them too, with the difference that you are alone, inexperienced and completely stupid or insane or both(just for the thought of being able to do what game heroes do) while your enemies are many, organized and trained. Do you really think that you or any other normal guy can take a gun and go killing groups of criminals, soldiers, mercenaries or whatever that have years of experience in shooting and fighting? If so please stop NOW playing games and watching action movies and try to understand that the real world works in a campletely different way.
My God you are daft. That's the whole premise of fantasy.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Most people can be ripped with enough of the right work. Most games star athletes of some kind. Adventurers or soldiers. These people aren't gonna be pudgy. I can see the argument for games like Silent Hill where you're supposed to be a random average Joe, but otherwise, I expect great physique.

Balding in your 20s isn't the norm either. Most men don't start balding until their 30s. All but 1 of my friends still have full heads of hair, and about half of them are ripped. I was too until recently, and it's my fault I'm not anymore. We're all pushing 30.

Characters with more average looking faces would be nice though. I particularly like Sam Drake from Uncharted 4 for his receded hairline and lack of Prince Charming jawline his brother has, despite still being ripped. Good looking, but not ridiculously good looking. The average Joe can be regular good looking if they're in great shape I think.

SnakeMilk

Neo Member
The tone of some of the responses in this thread are very disheartening. Unrealistic standards of male beauty are a very real and harmful thing and deserve to be criticized.

Instead we have people minimizing and dismissing those concerns

"It's just a game"

"Start working out"

"This must be parody"

"Women have it worse"

Most people can be ripped with enough of the right work. Most games star athletes of some kind. Adventurers or soldiers. These people aren't gonna be pudgy. I can see the argument for games like Silent Hill where you're supposed to be a random average Joe, but otherwise, I expect great physique.

Balding in your 20s isn't the norm either. Most men don't start balding until their 30s. All but 1 of my friends still have full heads of hair, and about half of them are ripped. I was too until recently, and it's my fault I'm not anymore. We're all pushing 30.

Characters with more average looking faces would be nice though. I particularly like Sam Drake from Uncharted 4 for his receded hairline and lack of Prince Charming jawline his brother has, despite still being ripped. Good looking, but not ridiculously good looking. The average Joe can be regular good looking if they're in great shape I think.
Perfect example and I forgot about Sam. Sam does little EVERYTHING Nathan does and he's clearly older, a smoker, and has not been as active as Nathan. So is it unbelievable that Sam killed all those people too?

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Perfect example and I forgot about Sam. Sam does little EVERYTHING Nathan does and he's clearly older, a smoker, and has not been as active as Nathan. So is it unbelievable that Sam killed all those people too?

He looks like a middle aged guy that's in great shape. He didn't have much to do in prison other than work out. Are his feats believable? Absolutely not. It's fantasy. We're talking physique though, which is absolutely believable. My uncle had a similar build in his 40s. He has a dad bod now in his late 50s. Smoking doesn't really affect your external physique as far as I know.

redcrayon

He looks like a middle aged guy that's in great shape. He didn't have much to do in prison other than work out. Are his feats believable? Absolutely not. It's fantasy. We're talking physique though, which is absolutely believable. My uncle had a similar build in his 40s. He has a dad bod now in his late 50s. Smoking doesn't really affect your external physique as far as I know.
Not that I disagree with you, but I think the poster's point about smoking was that it's going to put a dent in your/Sam's cardio.

wcw

Neo Member
Video Games tend to be fantasies, so why shouldn't they be reflective of an ideal or fantasy? It's entertainment...

Top Bottom