• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unrealistic Expectations of Men from Videogames & Low Self-esteem

OP, I use to have the EXACT problem as you my friend. I even avoided playing certain games with my wife (Resident Evil 5 is one ironically) because I was insecure. I was always kinda chubby and worked out like crazy and barely saw results. My favorite hobby became a source of shame and self loathing.

I'm honestly pleased to see you open yourself up and be honest about it. Especially on a forum with a lot of brutally unkind/insensitive people.

I just wanna say that it all comes to how you eat. Working out is a small part of it. It's not even about restricting calories, it's about the quality of your food. I for example went vegan not too long ago, eat a lot more than I ever did, and now I'm 20lbs lighter than when I started and still going.

Also check out FitnessGaf in the off topic community section. Great guys (nerds) that are in great shape. They won't berate you, but would be glad to help.

Btw, it also helps to realize that it's simply more appealing to have characters that are healthy looking and capable of feats of athletic strength. Games, especially action games, will lean towards that ideal. They arent trying to be offensive. They can certainly be extreme towards both genders, but just think of them as healthy, NOT as sexy.

Hit me up in PM's if you wanna talk. I feel for you and have been there.

YES! I came to say this and then read your post.

Seriously though, Whenever I play as a protag that is ripped or whatever, it has always inspired me to be more healthy. It had a big impact on me when I was younger. I would play through a section of a game like halo or something and even though I knew I could obviously never reach that level of fitness, it always encouraged me to do as much as I could and man, I will forever be thankful of that.

One thing I think would be awesome to promote health would be to see some transformative stories where the protag goes from really unhealthy in the beginning to healthy in the end where the character would change drastically. I can imagine several awesome scenarios off of the top of my head where something like this would fit really well.

For example, imagine a post apocalyptic game where you start off as an overweight/severely underweight unhealthy male or female and as you survive you deal with all sorts of random yet realistic health problems but struggle to overcome them. As the game goes on you gradually lose the weight by necessity and your character starts to transform into a healthy looking survivor. I think it would be cool if some sort of mechanic could be worked into it where the more you do with your legs the more fit they become and so on.

All of this would be cool but more importantly informative to the struggles and limitations that those who are not healthy endure and have to overcome. Would maybe put a different perspective in the minds of those who are tempted to shame and bully while at the same time inspire those who are living in an unhealthy state to try to do something about it if there is anything that they can do.

One thing I would agree on with OP though is ethnicity and facial/body structure. I would like to see more interesting character faces and races in AAA games. More akin to what we see in TV shows and such these days.

shpankey

not an idiot
I've had this issue with television for quite some time... but not just for men, for men, women, young, old, whatever. American television is the absolute WORST and british tv is lightyears ahead in this regard.

American TV (think The CW and MTV) always has young attractive people... and the few old people are also thin/attractive. Talent is always secondary to this. The real world is not this way and not only that, talent/skill has nothing to do with looks. Some of the best actors are not that attractive and can be overweight, old, whatever. It's frustrating only in that a TV show has potential and a good concept and is ruined by a bunch of 20 something models trying to act who can't act for shit.

It's a problem for all races, colors, creeds and genders across all video entertainment. To have "the look"... everything else will work itself out.

p.s. I'm not opposed to young attractive people being actors or given parts, there are some really great ones; but just ones who have the talent of a 5th grader from a school play and have the depth of a Cheerio. And my opposition isn't from a place of insecurity, but for the sake of quality.

PaulBizkit

OP, are you serious?? If it worries you so much, then go to the gym. Or play different games... complaining about fit characters in action games or third person shooters is kind of stupid.

Why dont you play something like prof. Layton? Or some game where you create your own character?

I mean, im not fit like chris redfield or have the perfect nathan drake hairline but it doesnt matter at all to me. But then again, i play a lot of japanese games (jrpgs, fighters, VNs) so im used to characters that are totally unreal.

My heroes, Kane and Lynch.
1481710-kane__lynch_2_dog_days_exclusive_demo_out_today.jpg

iSnakeTk

Should be put to work in a coal mine.
I wish I could look like Leon Kennedy :(

My fahter actually asked if he was a man or women when he saw me playing RE4 xD

Imagine a response like this if OP wasn't a guy. This thread is weird.
It's amazing. Quite a few people are coming out saying they felt the same way and you still have jerks coming out and completely dismissing it like I'm the only one in the world. There are dozens of us!

Mugaaz

Ok this made me lol. I'm just saying it'd be nice to see a few more realistic character designs. Not every character needs to have a damn 6 pack.

I just don't understand this argument at all. Why do we need realistic character designs? I'm not playing video games for that reason. I like playing as Kratos, Blanka, Superman, Dhalsim, Mega Man, Orcs, Taurens, Pandas, etc. I even like playing as fat dudes sometimes, but not because it's "realistic". I'm looking for unique and novel experiences. I like over the top design, fantasy elements, etc. What I hate is stupid inconsistent design. Your Nathan Drake example there actually works. Pencil pusher guy who works a desk job needs to have some story explanation as to why he's super strong, fast, or in shape. Also, don't just tell me WHY a character is X, show me X. If some character is supposed to be an amazing hacker, there better be multiple instances of them interacting with technology in a meaningful way. Nothing dumber than playing a Nathan Drake type character, running into a locked terminal and then have them comment "good thing I'm an amazing hacker" as some stupid justification.

kodecraft

OP, what you feel is self imposed. These are all fictional characters made by guys that look like you. Chill.

This. Take a look at developer studios behind the scenes they look like average guys nothing like the characters created for the interactive platform we all love.

I remember when Bayonetta came out and people were say her butt was unrealistic. I see plenty of woman built like her in real life.

JaseMath

Now before anyone complains about all videogame main characters are generic white, dark haired guys, etc. I wanted to make a thread about realistic expectations on what men should look like. This isn't about gender/race or anything like that. This is strictly body characteristics.

It annoys me to no end that pretty much every single main character is pretty much always shredded, and has a perfect hairline. If they don't, then they're either a joke character like a Rufus or a Birdie. Look at Nathan Drake, he's in his late 30s, early 40s, by UC4 and he has a perfect hairline, and still looks like he's in perfect shape. What the hell? He's a pencil pusher and a diver. How does he retain that physique?

The only characters I can think of that are even slightly realistic, although albeit exaggerated are Trevor (GTAV) and Frank West (DR2: Off the Record), and those two are almost jokes as a whole. Even Michael from GTAV was in great shape for his age.

If a character doesn't have a sixpack then he's immediately bucketed into "dad-bod" a term in which I have come to hate, which I can't even think of a single dad bod charcter. Look at characters like Sam Fisher (Splinter Cell), Joel (Last of Us), Max Payne, Ezio (AC: Revelations). Not only do all of these characters not have dad bods, all of them have perfect hairlines (until Max shaved his head). How is this natural? You never see any of these guys work out (except maybe Ezio who is climbing all damn day). They eat and drink as they please. And they all have amazing genetics.

Look at Chris Redfield for example. The guy is a freaking monster. Leon is much thinner than him but even him you can tell is probably shredded. I'm sure there are a million fanarts of sixpacks on Leon. I'm not even going to touch fighting game characters as they're always damn monsters.

I alluded to this in another thread recently but I kill myself every week working out/dieting and I'm probably at a "dad bod" level at best at 29. My hair is thinning/receding, because I guess I lost the genetic lottery. Yet every single one of my friends in the same age range as me is either losing their hair, or has a dad bod.
Meaning not ripped, just normal, or with a small gut. I don't know of a SINGLE GUY that does not have somewhat of a spare tire. This of course isn't just videogames, but all media pretty much portrays the majority of all male characters completely shredded.

I also notice people are much harsher on men in terms of manners. When my hair started thinning? Better believe everyone and their mother felt the need to point it out to me. When I gained a few pounds last year, everyone and their mother felt the need to point it out to me.

How the hell are us real guys supposed to compete? I mean, am I the only that feels like he has shit self-esteem when the guys being plastered everywhere are practically gods?

P.S. I'm specifically picking on videogame characters so I put it in games forum.

There's nothing unrealistic about this. Plenty of men flirting with middle age haven't succumbed to the "dad body". Speaking personally, I'm 35, work a desk job as a designer, was blessed with thick hair, and still make efforts to maintain myself.

Rheon

I've never really compared myself to video game characters physically.

And I'd rather play as a hot, in-shape guy than an ugly, fat guy honestly.

kodecraft

As a black male if this was the case I wouldn't like to play alot of games as they are mostly white guys.

But !! It's about the games, the adventure, the medium, I never thought about the look of the character and how it relates to me.

I love to see more diversity in gaming though. More females and minorities in kick ass roles. Like their more than capable of doing.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I wish I could look like Leon Kennedy :(

My fahter actually asked if he was a man or women when he saw me playing RE4 xD
It's the hair isn't it? I reckon Jensen Ackles would be a good Leon.

I'm not perfect but I don't let my self esteem be ruled by media sources because that's bullshit. If I feel like a shirt looks bad on me or I'm eating too many Pringles and drinking too much beer I'm probably right and I'll fix that.

Hasn't failed me in life yet. The trick is confidence.

PadPoet

505 Games Ltd
Nothing you already won the genetic lottery you greedy prick.

Quite the opposite. I have terrible genetics. I've been working out since 1999 (19 years old) Changes take time.Constant tracking of calories and macros is much harder than working out.

I used to be skinny fat FYI.

Edit: Hair wise yes, I'm still ok though. That's totally genetic, I agree.

Auctopus

Imagine a response like this if OP wasn't a guy. This thread is weird.

I've only been browsing until now but I have to agree. We've been having the exact same discussion from a female point of view and their perception of female video game characters for a few years yet when it's applied to men, all arguments become invalid?

I'm aware that there is a very unhealthy opposition to sites like FF and there's clear toxicity. But imagine if we just said to these arguments :

OP, are you serious?? If it worries you so much, then go to the gym. Or play different games...

I like playing as idealised beautiful characters. Moreso if they have an outstanding and memorable design.

Heck, I can't wait for Nier Automata not only because it's the sequel to one of my favourite games ever but also because of how amazing the characters look.

If you find those an attack on your self-worth then I can only feel sorry for you.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I've only been browsing until now but I have to agree. We've been having the exact same discussion from a female point of view and their perception of female video game characters for a few years yet when it's applied to men, all arguments become invalid?

I'm aware that there is a very unhealthy opposition to sites like FF and there's clear toxicity. But imagine if we just said to these arguments :
Yep. There's a similar discussion on GAF right now over here. Compare the answers between the two...

Just look at...
I like playing as idealised beautiful characters. Moreso if they have an outstanding and memorable design.

Heck, I can't wait for Nier Automata not only because it's the sequel to one of my favourite games ever but also because of how amazing the characters look.

If you find those an attack on your self-worth then I can only feel sorry for you.
...this.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
If you aren't seeing results from killing yourself at the gym, either your nutrition/workouts/both aren't correct.

Some of your examples like Michael or Payne aren't very good ones. Both are examples of overweight aging males with bodies that are very obtainable.

LQX

I get what you are saying OP. There has been many threads of late on this same issue as it pertains to women and it should also pertain to men but as we can see it is getting laughed at, mocked if not outright dismissed as this thread is not getting any traction.

Also even the fittest of us does not come close to how fit male protagonist often are in video games. Moreover, I often see many saying there is more body diversity in regards to men but I think it is outright lie as even fat protagonists are often buff muscle bound fat and very tall which does not convey obesity.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I also notice people are much harsher on men in terms of manners. When my hair started thinning? Better believe everyone and their mother felt the need to point it out to me. When I gained a few pounds last year, everyone and their mother felt the need to point it out to me.

OP this is your real problem, not videogame characters, if you have self esteem problems it's probably your "everyone and their mom" faults. Not everyone is so harsh and in any case you shouldn't let others ruin your life or force their models to you.

Game characters are just fictional characters, how did you even think to compare yourself to them?

Some(most) of game characters kill hundreds of people or kill hundhreds of innocent beasts just to take some loot or xp while making jokes and the night they sleep perfectly, it doesn't matter their motivation, they are borderline psychopaths, do you really want to be like them?

In any case, aesthetic reasons apart(while we are at it you should ask yourself why a "perfect" body is considered handsome), to do what they do characters NEED atlethic bodies, do you think that anyone here could do what game characters do? Or do you think that a mindless child can kill hundreds of enemies like in japanese games?

E92 M3

Video games are a fantasy created for entertainment. There are no expectations of men or women.

All I care about is the game actually being good.

risq_aus

Banned
I see a bunch of replies from people saying no change needed, videogames are fantasy etc. That's great that you're getting what you need out of them but why would you dismiss someone else's wants just because they don't align with yours?

Good on you OP for posting openly about something you feel strongly about. I hope you don't take some of the harsh responses too seriously.

Servbot24

Banned
Constant tracking of calories and macros is much harder than working out.

Very true. I exercise 1.5-2 hours every day, but tracking macros... ugh. Too much for me. I just eat reasonably healthy and leave it at that, but I'm sure I'd be doing much better if I were better at tracking myself.

Quite the opposite. I have terrible genetics. I've been working out since 1999 (19 years old) Changes take time.Constant tracking of calories and macros is much harder than working out.

I used to be skinny fat FYI.

Edit: Hair wise yes, I'm still ok though. That's totally genetic, I agree.
Just yanking your chain. Enjoy it all while you can.

I really don't get it. It's a valid issue!

If you aren't seeing results from killing yourself at the gym, either your nutrition/workouts/both aren't correct.

Some of your examples like Michael or Payne aren't very good ones. Both are examples of overweight aging males with bodies that are very obtainable.

I'm seeing results. I'm actually in good shape just nowhere near chiseled like vg characters.

I get what you are saying OP. There has been many threads of late on this same issue as it pertains to women and it should also pertain to men but as we can see it is getting laughed at, mocked if not outright dismissed as this thread is not getting any traction.

Also even the fittest of us does not come close to how fit male protagonist often are in video games. Moreover, I often see many saying there is more body diversity in regards to men but I think it is outright lie as even fat protagonists are often buff muscle bound fat and very tall which does not convey obesity.
Glad to see more people are willing to speak up. Thank you.
OP this is your real problem, not videogame characters, if you have self esteem problems it's probably your "everyone and their mom" faults. Not everyone is so harsh and in any case you shouldn't let others ruin your life or force their models to you.

Game characters are just fictional characters, how did you even think to compare yourself to them?

Some(most) of game characters kill hundreds of people or kill hundhreds of innocent beasts just to take some loot or xp while making jokes and the night they sleep perfectly, it doesn't matter their motivation, they are borderline psychopaths, do you really want to be like them?

In any case, aesthetic reasons apart(while we are at it you should ask yourself why a "perfect" body is considered handsome), to do what they do characters NEED atlethic bodies, do you think that anyone here could do what game characters do? Or do you think that a mindless child can kill hundreds of enemies like in japanese games?

How does your bulk or shredded (teehee I said it) abs help you pull a trigger faster? In terms of melee, there are plenty of people who are not drowning in muscles that can knock much larger people out with a punch.

shandy706

I've mentioned my story lots of times, but what the hell.

I grew up skinny as fuck. Guys laughed at me, and girls weren't interested in me. This shitty physique stayed with me all the way up until I was 29 when I started to (properly) go to the gym and change my eating habits. I'm still a good distance away from my ideal physique (Solid Snake or Leon Kennedy, if you'd like to keep the comparisons limited to vidya games), but even at my worst, never did I once think to myself that I wish game protagonists (or ANY protagonists) were modeled after myself so that I could "relate" to them, or because healthier physiques made me feel inferior. I mean, why would you want to? In my case, being skinny meant both that you looked pathetic and were functionally pathetic as well (I would have trouble lifting a 20" T.V.). There's zero benefit to being built such a way? So why would you want to play as someone like that?

The whole point (well, one of the major points, I guess) of things like video games, movies and T.V. shows is to provide escapism. You like these type of characters because they're not you. Because they're better than you.

My youngest brother has the forever skinny problem.

I've got the exact opposite problem. I played 14 years of organized soccer, including making a Clemson (University) sponsored teen travel league (you had to be selected from hundreds of players trying out). I worked out, ran, and played 5-6 days a week. I was a 90 minute player, and a starter...yet I was 5' 4" and 170lbs. I've never been able to shake being "overweight". I never got any taller. When I went out for (American) Football I was a starter for 4 years and had a short stint with an IFL team. At that time I was 215lbs. Now I'm 235lbs, spend 7-10 hours outside walking on my job, and have been eating healthy (my work days average 12 hours), yet I can NOT seem to get down where I "should" be. Looks like I'll be a fat boy for life 😂.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
How does your bulk or shredded (teehee I said it) abs help you pull a trigger faster? In terms of melee, there are plenty of people who are not drowning in muscles that can knock much larger people out with a punch.

Really?
Do you realize that game characters fight for hours without interruptions? Do you think you or anyone here can do the same? Obviously bulk characters are exaggerated, but to do what they do game characters need to have an athletic body(notice that i always use the term "athletic", not "bulk"), you know nothing about physical exercise if you think that muscles of an athletic body only mean strenght, the training to get those muscles also gives a varying amount of stamina, agility, dexterity, concentration, health and other things.

purdobol

My youngest brother has the forever skinny problem.

I don't know how old he is but it changes with age. Used to be forever skinny until 25. At one point just stuffed myself with food on purpose just to gain some weight. Nothing helped. To fast metabolism. Nowadays I have to exercise to stay fit.

I've got the exact opposite problem. I've never been able to shake being "overweight".

Try jumping rope if you didn't already. I'm not kidding.

MoonFrog

Tbh, not that I particularly like my body--I don't--but I've never really envied a video game character his body. I'd just like to be healthy rather than modestly overweight (moreso than I look tbh) and physically weak and honestly that is something I could achieve if I put the time into it.

I think there are much more crippling ways that I will fail to "be a man" than failing to have a picturesque body. I'm not competent, confident, or skilled, at least not in the ways a man "should" be and for better or worse I care about these things. I'd like to be seen and respected as a man, at least by myself :p.

Peltz

Lift, get huge and shave your head. 99% of in-shape dudes look good with a shaved head.

Op could probably look like a videogame protagonist with the right diet and excercise.

Hair is largely overrated.

Lime

I don't see the controversy in this thread at all. The first couple of posts don't make sense given the relatively innocent request in the OP.

The people dismissing the importance of representation even for men need to understand what they're doing when they're saying "just hit the gym" or "it's just fiction, it doesn't matter". Imagine if you said the same thing in a thread about female representation.

sheamus

You be surprised at how much progress you can make it if you just start working out like three times a week.

You look better you feel better everything is amazing

MoonFrog

I don't see the controversy in this thread at all. The first couple of posts don't make sense given the relatively innocent request in the OP.

The people dismissing the importance of representation even for men need to understand what they're doing when they're saying "just hit the gym" or "it's just fiction, it doesn't matter". Imagine if you said the same thing in a thread about female representation.

Yep. Just because issues with female representation are more fraught and oppressively hegemonic, does not mean that similar issues don't exist with men.

If you get a gender studies degree from any place actually worth its salt, such things will come up. Wiping them under the rug to defend your honor as a feminist is a bit silly and knee-jerk.

Go ahead and discuss the difference in kind, impact, etc. but that doesn't mean that men aren't informed of gendered expectations and that they don't feel pressure to achieve them.

Really, it is a mix of the age old 'be a man, don't whine, just get ahead,' and 'men can't be gendered like women at all because somehow that dims the luster of feminism (?! It doesn't lol)'

shandy706

I don't know how old he is but it changes with age. Used to be forever skinny until 25. At one point just stuffed myself with food on purpose just to gain some weight. Nothing helped. To fast metabolism. Nowadays I have to exercise to stay fit.

Try jumping rope if you didn't already. I'm not kidding.

He's 28 and out eats me. I'm sure it'll catch up though.

As for jump roping, yeah I could see that being a good quick workout. I have 2 daughters and a few ropes to pick from. Time is what I REALLY lack.

My short thick tail has been teaching my 8 year old proper cartwheels and round-offs (for cheerleading). Now that's a sight. Leftovers from my martial arts classes.

I'd love a non-traditional game character, but I don't have low self-esteem or compare myself. I'm good with me and playing as anything.

Really?
Do you realize that game characters fight for hours without interruptions? Do you think you or anyone here can do the same? Obviously bulk characters are exaggerated, but to do what they do game characters need to have an athletic body(notice that i always use the term "athletic", not "bulk"), you know nothing about physical exercise if you think that muscles of an athletic body only mean strenght, the training to get those muscles also gives a varying amount of stamina, agility, dexterity, concentration, health and other things.

You would be surprised. Even before I started getting in shape I would be able to do 8 miles a day mixed with jogging/sprinting based off of sheer competitiveness with friends. Yeah I wanted to die a few days later from soreness but the day of I was going.

Lift, get huge and shave your head. 99% of in-shape dudes look good with a shaved head.

Op could probably look like a videogame protagonist with the right diet and excercise.

Hair is largely overrated.
Yeah I can do that now but totally not the point,
You be surprised at how much progress you can make it if you just start working out like three times a week.

You look better you feel better everything is amazing
I work out 5-6 times a week for hour sessions.
I'm 190lbs at about 5'11. No gut at all and most of its muscle. I just have no chiseled definition. Still not the point,
Yep. Just because issues with female representation are more fraught and oppressively hegemonic, does not mean that similar issues don't exist with men.

If you get a gender studies degree from any place actually worth its salt, such things will come up. Wiping them under the rug to defend your honor as a feminist is a bit silly and knee-jerk.

Go ahead and discuss the difference in kind, impact, etc. but that doesn't mean that men aren't informed of gendered expectations and that they don't feel pressure to achieve them.

Really, it is a mix of the age old 'be a man, don't whine, just get ahead,' and 'men can't be gendered like women at all because somehow that dims the luster of feminism (?! It doesn't lol)'
That's really the vibe I'm getting. Are all these people so insecure they just can't accept anything less than "I'm a man! I compare myself to no man!"

Top Bottom