• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Update on the Revolution HD stuff (Nintendo's response)

sangreal

yoopoo said:
Haha at Nintendo forums...

5vyu79
:lol

Drensch

Isn't all of this drama a little premature?

I don't think we have confirmation of anything really, let alone lack of hdtv or ethernet jack. We just have a rough idea of the casing.

Ponn

Banned
yoopoo said:
Haha at Nintendo forums...

5vyu79

I give nintendo fans kudos for being so persistent, but on the other hand they are a seriously naive lot. It reminds me of that south park episode with Chinpokemon. Say, believe and do anything nintendo says.

sangreal

Ponn01 said:
I give nintendo fans kudos for being so persistent, but on the other hand they are a seriously naive lot. It reminds me of that south park episode with Chinpokemon. Say, believe and do anything nintendo says.
I went and read some of the posts, and its quite sad really.

cja

To sum up this thread.

Nintendo are getting damned for not requiring a $1000 piece of hardware to get the best out of Revolution.

Nintendo are getting damned again for requiring a $50 piece of hardware to get the best out of Revolution.

If Revolution offered a photorealistic holographic image of a woman with a fake mouth giving the best head ever the only thing that we'd see on GAF is whiny Nintendo "fans" and joyous haters say that the girl was a brunette and not a blonde so... FUCK YOU NINTENDO!

cja said:
To sum up this thread.

Nintendo are getting damned for not requiring a $1000 piece of hardware to get the best out of Revolution.

Nintendo are getting damned again for requiring a $50 piece of hardware to get the best out of Revolution.

If Revolution offered a photorealistic holographic image of a woman with a fake mouth giving the best head ever the only thing that we'd see on GAF is whiny Nintendo "fans" and joyous haters say that the girl was a brunette and not a blonde so... FUCK YOU NINTENDO!

1) a HDTV isn't *required*
2) dude, it's a fucking ETHERNET JACK!!!

if Nintendo didnt include a power cord, people would be defending it like "i already can get a power cord from rado shack!"

No HD is disapointing but I don't see it as much of a big deal as going with a cartrige on the N64 or the smaller media disk with no online on the Gamecube was. This make sense for nintendo not to include it since they are cutting down prices for both developers and consumers.

sangreal

cja said:

Sigh... a HDTV does NOT cost $1000. It doesn't have to be a damn 42" plasma to be an HDTV. I don't see how you can be opposed to the option of getting better visuals with a better TV. Noone is forcing you to buy an HDTV to enjoy 720p on a 360.

Amir0x

Banned
rahxephon03x said:
No HD is disapointing but I don't see it as much of a big deal as going with a cartrige on the N64.

Obviously. Anyone who sees it as THAT big of a deal isn't being entirely honest. On the other hand, it'd be difficult for anything ever to be that big of a deal for Nintendo again. That sort of thing really happens to the "1st" person in marketshare. The next colossal historic fuckup will be from Sony or Microsoft.

Drensch said:
Isn't all of this drama a little premature?

I don't think we have confirmation of anything really, let alone lack of hdtv or ethernet jack. We just have a rough idea of the casing.
Perrin Kaplan isn't confirmation on no HD? who do you want, Iwata? Miyamoto? Reggie?

cja

The Faceless Master said:
1) a HDTV isn't *required*
2) dude, it's a fucking ETHERNET JACK!!!

if Nintendo didnt include a power cord, people would be defending it like "i already can get a power cord from rado shack!"
1. read to the end of the sentence please "to get the best out of Revolution".
2. but its still only $50 for a superior wi-fi enabled router versus $1000 for a superior resolution TV. I agree in principle but still find the two examples in this thread contradictory.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I find it rather sad. The N-Sider used to be a great community, before the boards were closed back in June 1999 (and stayed closed for the next ~5 years).

Now , well, it sucks.

cja said:
2. but its still only $50 for a superior wi-fi enabled router versus $1000 for a superior resolution TV. I agree in principle but still find the two examples in this thread contradictory.
let's just go over this again

HDTV: Not Required

Wireless Router: Required

sangreal

GaimeGuy said:
I find it rather sad. The N-Sider used to be a great community, before the boards were closed back in June 1999 (and stayed closed for the next ~5 years).

Now , well, it sucks.

It would probably help if it weren't made up of posters under the age of 12.

But then I suppose you wouldn't have such gems as "Why can't polygons be round?"

Ponn

Banned
cja said:

I already have a HDTV, alot of people do. Alot of people will be getting one and not just because of the Revolution. You want to use that HDtv though so if you have the option of watching a regular cable channel or an HD channel which one are you watching? Your analogy fails.

Amir0x

Banned
Chittagong said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I can't believe I just read that. And LMAO at the guys going "I've been thinking about that too."

Further on in the thread...

JMAN said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not educational stuff! It's summer; don't make me learn stuff! Ack, I just used a semi-colon! I hate school may it burn! (Burn baby, burn! Eruption!) Anyhoo, my mistake. I lose knowledge over summer cause I hate school.(Math is my best subject, I just didn't feel obligated to use my education)

:lol

Drensch

Perrin Kaplan isn't confirmation on no HD? who do you want, Iwata? Miyamoto? Reggie?

I'd wait until the system is final and unveiled. And details coming from someone who know a little more.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Maybey this Nintendo's plan to make Matt C. crack-up?

cja

sangreal said:
Sigh... a HDTV does NOT cost $1000. It doesn't have to be a damn 42" plasma to be an HDTV. I don't see how you can be opposed to the option of getting better visuals with a better TV. Noone is forcing you to buy an HDTV to enjoy 720p on a 360.
Those stuck with SDTV or EDTV are going to see just lower resolution versions of the 720p games on 360 or PS3. An enormous amount of the power of the Xbox 360 and PS3 will not benefit standard TV owners. Microsoft and Sony are forcing you to buy a HDTV to get the most out of their hardware and increasingly higher resolutions at the expense of polygon count, frame-rate, particle effects, fill-rate et al.

let's just go over this again

HDTV: Not Required

Wireless Router: Required
No, it isn't!

For online play, yes, but if you have an SDTV and play online on an Xbox 360 or PS3 you're going to be at an unfair disadvantage anyway thanks to that lower resolution.

Ponn01 said:
I already have a HDTV, alot of people do. Alot of people will be getting one and not just because of the Revolution. You want to use that HDtv though so if you have the option of watching a regular cable channel or an HD channel which one are you watching? Your analogy fails.
Many people already have wireless routers, if you had the choice would you rather have building full of wires or not. I'm not seeing how the analogy fails here.

Monk

Banned
What I want to know is why the fuck they said they are making the revolution compatible with monitors when you can only get 480i.

sangreal

Monk said:
What I want to know is why the fuck they said they are making the revolution compatible with monitors when you can only get 480i.

They'll probably support 480p, which isn't HD.

Dreamcast had a VGA cable too, IIRC

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
sangreal said:
It would probably help if it weren't made up of posters under the age of 12.

But then I suppose you wouldn't have such gems as "Why can't polygons be round?"
:lol :(

I wonder if the only reason I have such fond memories of NSider are because of my age at the time I went there? :|

cja said:
TNo, it isn't!

For online play, yes, but if you have an SDTV and play online on an Xbox 360 or PS3 you're going to be at an unfair disadvantage anyway thanks to that lower resolution.
not if you get a better framerate at 480p

Juice

And Rev will be 2-3 times as powerful as GameCube.

Perrin Kaplan is a hype-killing machine. Replace her with a PR person who at least lies in the RIGHT DIRECTION.

Ruzbeh

Banned
Juice said:
And Rev will be 2-3 times as powerful as GameCube.
What Ms. Kaplan meant was that it was going to be at least 2-3 times as powerful as the GameCube. Currently, you can't tell how powerful the Revolution is going to be, since the chips and everything are not done.

koam

I wonder what's more funny:

1) The people who are defending the lack of HD output.
2) The reaction of said people when they finally buy an HDTV.
Edit: 3) The fact that it will cost Nintendo less to add HD functionality then to get swamped with all these e-mails (server costs).

Ruzbeh

Banned
koam said:
I wonder what's more funny:

1) The people who are defending the lack of HD output.
2) The reaction of said people when they finally buy an HDTV.
1) According to Nintendo, games will be cheaper. Cheaper for the developer, and for the consumer. If HD support in games make such a big difference... so be it. I trust Nintendo, because Iwata himself is an excellent games creator and Nintendo is the best games developer in the world.
2) I'm going to buy a TV for myself, sooner or later. Not sure wether or not it's going to be an HDTV, I want something affordable. I'm very skeptical about how the HDTV adoption rate. But If I were to get an HDTV, and the Revolution wouldn't support it, it would be a shame. Unless it would make games look so bad that it would be intolerable.

koam

Ruzbeh said:
1) According to Nintendo, games will be cheaper. Cheaper for the developer, and for the consumer. If HD support in games make such a big difference... so be it. I trust Nintendo, because Iwata himself is an excellent games creator and Nintendo is the best games developer in the world.
2) I'm going to buy a TV for myself, sooner or later. Not sure wether or not it's going to be an HDTV, I want something affordable. I'm very skeptical about how the HDTV adoption rate. But If I were to get an HDTV, and the Revolution wouldn't support it, it would be a shame. Unless it would make games look so bad that it would be intolerable.

1) How is it cheaper for the developer? Developers will be creating games at 720p for the Xbox and PS3, if they want to port to the Rev, they will need to modify all their textures to look decent on 480i. I'm not doubting Nintendo skills as a game developer, i'm a long time fan, however, i'm not a sheep. They said "online" was just a fad and not everyone would be able to enjoy it and now they're promoting it as the second coming of Christ and are forcing people to buy wireless routers. They're charging me to download games that i've already bought and claiming that to be "backward compatible". The truth is, Nintendo is out there to make money and they don't care what their fans want. The lack of HD support means that users with HD get the shaft. Playing a game in 640x480i on a HDTV looks muddy. Let alone the fact that people with 16x9 and TVs over 40 inches will have to suffer with stretched and blown up images. If you doubt the difference HD makes, try switching your resolution on your monitor to 640x480 for a few minutes and you'll get an idea of how important it is.

2) By 2006, major stores will no longer carry standard televisions as the FCC regulations for HD as a standard will be in effect. If you buy a standard television now, it's a waste of money. You can buy a decent HD set at $500 or even less and prices are dropping fast. HD doesn't mean the TV has to be 16x9 and HUGE. Adoption rate now is almost 1/5th and the number is rapidly growing. HDTVs are selling more than standard TVs already. Were you skeptical about DVDs when you had a VHS? or CDs when tapes were the norm? HD is the next logical step and you can't avoid it. Lack of HD will not only affect the Revolution but in the future, if the next Nintendo consoles are backward compatible, your REV games will still be in 480i (or badly upscaled).

Ruzbeh

Banned
koam said:
1) How is it cheaper for the developer? Developers will be creating games at 720p for the Xbox and PS3, if they want to port to the Rev, they will need to modify all their textures to look decent on 480i. I'm not doubting Nintendo skills as a game developer, i'm a long time fan, however, i'm not a sheep. They said "online" was just a fad and not everyone would be able to enjoy it and now they're promoting it as the second coming of Christ and are forcing people to buy wireless routers. They're charging me to download games that i've already bought and claiming that to be "backward compatible". The truth is, Nintendo is out there to make money and they don't care what their fans want. The lack of HD support means that users with HD get the shaft. Playing a game in 640x480i on a HDTV looks muddy. Let alone the fact that people with 16x9 and TVs over 40 inches will have to suffer with stretched and blown up images. If you doubt the difference HD makes, try switching your resolution on your monitor to 640x480 for a few minutes and you'll get an idea of how important it is.

2) By 2006, major stores will no longer carry standard televisions as the FCC regulations for HD as a standard will be in effect. If you buy a standard television now, it's a waste of money. You can buy a decent HD set at $500 or even less and prices are dropping fast. HD doesn't mean the TV has to be 16x9 and HUGE. Adoption rate now is almost 1/5th and the number is rapidly growing. HDTVs are selling more than standard TVs already. Were you skeptical about DVDs when you had a VHS? or CDs when tapes were the norm? HD is the next logical step and you can't avoid it. Lack of HD will not only affect the Revolution but in the future, if the next Nintendo consoles are backward compatible, your REV games will still be in 480i (or badly upscaled).
1) Nintendo says so. They know everything about cost and everything. How the fuck are they making so much goddamn money? And what do you mean, Nintendo is out to make money and doesn't care what their fans want? :lol They make money in the first place by giving fans what they want. Seriously. Since when is forcing people to buy a $50 dollar router such a fucking problem. That's the same kind of money you need for 1 year Xbox Live! And, oops, people buy it without bitching, but forcing people to buy something for the same price that will allow you to play online with Nintendo consoles forever = "Fuck Nintendo" ? Awesome! Don't get me started about that backwards compatibility stuff. You say you already have those games? Then play those games on their native systems! No one is forcing you to get the games all over again on the Rev. Damn.

2) So? People aren't going to buy new blazin' HDTVs if those FCC people do that. It's been projected that in 2008, there will be like 60% people having HDTVs in the US. That's a long way, IMO. And it will take much longer for that to be in Europe, since HDTVs are already big business in the US, but not in Europe!

Ponn

Banned
Ponn01 said:

I felt this needed repeating with that last page of posts.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
not if you get a better framerate at 480p

yes, because MS and Sony are investing billions of dollars on HD as a folly, and all games will be 15fps juddery messes :rollseyes:

Yes, there will still be some shitty games, but why assume 480i games will be faster or less prone to being shitty? There will be slow games on all platforms.

Redbeard

Banned
Ruzbeh said:
1) Nintendo says so. They know everything about cost and everything.

:lol :lol :lol

Even assuming it's true and games will be cheaper to make on the Rev, it's not as if being cheaper to develop for actually helped the GC.

Besides, like Koam said, every developer will making their games in hi-def for the other platforms anyway.

Ponn

Banned
Redbeard said:

Even assuming it's true and games will be cheaper to make on the Rev, it's not as if being cheaper to develop for actually helped the GC.

Besides, like Koam said, every developer will making their games in hi-def for the other platforms anyway.

It also doesn't mean those savings are going to be passed on too the consumers.

Ruzbeh

Banned
Redbeard said:

Nintendo wanted to focus on small developers, too. The game industry is not growing anymore, kiddo.

NINTENDO SAVE US ALL!

Amir0x

Banned
Ruzbeh said:
Nintendo wanted to focus on small developers, too. The game industry is not growing anymore, kiddo.

NINTENDO SAVE US ALL!

Heh, you're joking? Especially about the industry not growing part?

StRaNgE

Banned
so what are we expecting the next life span of systems to be? 5 years? 7 years?

figure if this comes out late 2006 and has a 5 year life (2011) i would assume many many of us will have upgraded TV's by then especially if it is true about the FCC and standardized HDTV's

Pellham

Banned
Requiring an ethernet port these days is like requiring a modem.

Get with the times! You should have a wireless router by now. Especially since you can get one for $20-$50.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I have both. But WiFi is notorisly flakey.

Gahiggidy said:
I have both. But WiFi is notorisly flakey.

...not to mention absolutely unneccesary for anyone that already has cat5 run to their TV. Unless revolution has an LCD screen and is portable, it's never moving from where I put it. I don't need wireless.

the only way Nintendo can make up for the lack of HDTV resolutions, is if every 1st, 2nd and 3rd party Revolution game is locked at 60fps and provides 8x FSAA. any thing less than every game being 60fps will be a complete fuckup on Nintendo's part.

next generation Revolution? only 480p ? thats fine, but make sure every game is 60fps standard, just like every game is going to run at a certain resolution. or else, why bother?

Top Bottom