• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Update on the Revolution HD stuff (Nintendo's response)

Firest0rm

Amir0x said:
I don't think anyone here should... react at this level. It's still early, there's a lot of variables we don't know. I think Nintendo just has a different corporate strategy, not necessarily not wanting to compete. Don't get me wrong, no HD support is a horrible decision... but it's also worth stating that not following your competitors line is not the same as not competing.

I was just looking at the DOA4 video, the HD version. I can easily tell how much better the game looks like in comparison to SD games. I'm no techie or anything but the visual difference is clearly there. This is one of the stupid mistakes that everyone will be talking about if Revolution doesn't include HD. How much does it cost to put in the component?

I hope Nintendo listens to consumers for a change. Look at MS, at first they weren't gonna have BC but people complained and they responded. I might hate them due to there other business practices, but their responding to us the consumers while at the same time doing their own thing. Nintendo for once did it with Zelda:TP, and I hope they do it again with this.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
The scary shit is that they may even ditch component out. As that's the only added cost I think of of supporting HD. THe actual resolution settings are just settings on the GPU, AFAIK.

Can you imagine!!? Prefering to play your old GCN games on the Cube becuase the revolution won't run in progressive mode.

Amir0x

Banned
Firest0rm said:
I was just looking at the DOA4 video, the HD version. I can easily tell how much better the game looks like in comparison to SD games. I'm no techie or anything but the visual difference is clearly there. This is one of the stupid mistakes that everyone will be talking about if Revolution doesn't include HD. How much does it cost to put in the component?

Yes, it's noticeable. I'm not denying that, I just had a whole debate about how stupid it is not to include it. I just think, well, at the end of the day... I don't think this is an indication of not wanting to compete, or that we can really truly count Nintendo out (in terms of marketshare).

But yes, of course... HD > not HD. No doubt. I hope they change it too.

Firest0rm said:
I hope Nintendo listens to consumers for a change. Look at MS, at first they weren't gonna have BC but people complained and they responded. I might hate them due to there other business practices, but their responding to us the consumers while at the same time doing their own thing. Nintendo for once did it with Zelda:TP, and I hope they do it again with this.

Yeah, we can hope. I don't think they'll listen if they really don't intend to have HD, but it might be worth a shot in this case with a year + left to go before launch. That said, I mean, will it really affect why you or I buy Nintendo systems? We buy it for Nintendo developed games. At the end of the day, this will be a system with Nintendo games and a wacky control scheme... and the other systems will be for the majority of the third party support (and perhaps now, the better visuals most of the time).

empanada

Redbeard said:
The 360 will have HDTV kiosks.
I see, thats great.

The Revolution should really be considered as a secondary system the way things are turning out. Get a PS3 or Xbox360 (or both) for your primary system, and get the revolution for the classic games & nintendo's usual game franchises.

Now, if everybody buys a revolution + one of the other 2 consoles, that means the revolution will have 2 times as much sales as the other two. Think about that. It'll be a riot discussing sales data here at GAF. :lol

I'm pretty sure the Revolution will have progressive output. I dont think they're stupid enough to go backwards from the GC which had progressive out.

Firest0rm

Amir0x said:
Yes, it's noticeable. I'm not denying that, I just had a whole debate about how stupid it is not to include it. I just think, well, at the end of the day... I don't think this is an indication of not wanting to compete, or that we can really truly count Nintendo out (in terms of marketshare).

But yes, of course... HD > not HD. No doubt. I hope they change it too.

Yeah, we can hope. I don't think they'll listen if they really don't intend to have HD, but it might be worth a shot in this case with a year + left to go before launch. That said, I mean, will it really affect why you or I buy Nintendo systems? We buy it for Nintendo developed games. At the end of the day, this will be a system with Nintendo games and a wacky control scheme... and the other systems will be for the majority of the third party support (and perhaps now, the better visuals most of the time).

It will affect me, Nintendo's offering this generation was subpar (IMO). I only had a few games I enjoyed from them the rest were 3rd party games. The only thing that keeps me tied with Nintendo is Zelda. If Nintendo's next-gen offerings is the same shit again then I'm most likely gonna get another console. I still probably will get Revolution when Zelda comes out though.

golem

I'm pretty sure the Revolution will have progressive output. I dont think they're stupid enough to go backwards from the GC which had progressive out.
well, they certainly went backwards when they took the progressive output out of newer GC systems ;P

Mashing said:
Just once I'd like to some interview to flat out tell her that her and Nintendo are full of shit and see what happens. If they end the interview that's when I'd really give them an earful, as unprofessional as that sounds.

I support this idea.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Amir0x said:

That said, I mean, will it really affect why you or I buy Nintendo systems? We buy it for Nintendo developed games. At the end of the day, this will be a system with Nintendo games and a wacky control scheme... and the other systems will be for the majority of the third party support (and perhaps now, the better visuals most of the time).
As a loyale Nintendo fan, I'm only permitted to buy and play Nintendo video game systems. I don't want to go through the next generation feeling jealous of PS3 and 360° owners.

Alex

Personally, I don't have an HDTV, so I don't care. But, it's not like it's terribly shocking for Nintendo to be behind on one of the big concepts. CD's, online play, HD, they like to go at their own, slightly awkward pace.

Amir0x

Banned
Firest0rm said:
It will affect me, Nintendo's offering this generation was subpar (IMO). I only had a few games I enjoyed from them the rest were 3rd party games. The only thing that keeps me tied with Nintendo is Zelda. If Nintendo's next-gen offerings is the same shit again then I'm most likely gonna get another console. I still probably will get Revolution when Zelda comes out though.

Well, I mean, if the only Nintendo game still satisfying you is Zelda, then obviously you've reached a point when it's time to split away and buy a different system. It's no longer something that appeals to you, then. That's understandable. Nintendo used to be my favorite hardware maker, but they slowly faded away as primary when the majority of the third party support went elsewhere. Now it's a system for Nintendo made games. If that appeal went away, I'm sure I'd feel similarly.

However, I love games like Pikmin 2, like Super Mario Sunshine, like Zelda Wind Waker, like Metroid Prime, like Smash Bros, like Paper Mario... so for me, this isn't a problem yet.

Gahiggidy said:
As a loyale Nintendo fan, I'm only permitted to buy and play Nintendo video game systems. I don't want to go through the next generation feeling jealous of PS3 and 360° owners.

Well hey man, time to tear down them artificial barriers and buy other systems! No need to feel jealous ;)

Firest0rm

Amir0x said:
Well, I mean, if the only Nintendo game still satisfying you is Zelda, then obviously you've reached a point when it's time to split away and buy a different system. It's no longer something that appeals to you, then. That's understandable. Nintendo used to be my favorite hardware maker, but they slowly faded away as primary when the majority of the third party support went elsewhere. Now it's a system for Nintendo made games. If that appeal went away, I'm sure I'd feel similarly.

However, I love games like Pikmin 2, like Super Mario Sunshine, like Zelda Wind Waker, like Metroid Prime, like Smash Bros, like Paper Mario... so for me, this isn't a problem yet.

I liked Metroid Prime, Smash Bros, and Wind Waker as well but its just not enough for me since I'm mostly a one console person although next-gen it will likely i will be a 2 console owner. Nintendo mostly talked the talk this generation in terms of software, but didn't walk the walk IMO.

If Nintendo doesn't put ProScan or component out I'm gonna spank Iwata very hard...over a game of wifi smash bro because I can never resist the urge to buy new Nintendo hardware.

Gahiggidy

Amir0x said:

Well hey man, time to tear down them artificial barriers and buy other systems! No need to feel jealous ;)
I'll stop playing video games before I do that. Hey, its not like I play them now. Mostly I just keep my GameCube tethered to my tv while I spend my "gaming" time on here arguing with you people.

dorio

Banned
I think its a high risk decision that could pay off as mentioned before. You can really push some nice graphics on standard tvs at 640X480 with alot of AA. Kids will not be able to tell the difference in the first place and that demographic sells alot of units during the holidays especially if the console is very cheap.

Firest0rm said:
I liked Metroid Prime, Smash Bros, and Wind Waker as well but its just not enough for me since I'm mostly a one console person although next-gen it will likely i will be a 2 console owner. Nintendo mostly talked the talk this generation in terms of software, but didn't walk the walk IMO.
Yes, these certainly only "talked the talk". So much so that I was up till 4:30am last night/today with three friends doing some 4-player Star Fox Assault (jet packs on, playing as Star Wolf, all items active and survival mode on Corneria). Sorry, just thought I'd insert my enthusiasm here. Man that was a fucking blast.

Amir0x

Banned
Gahiggidy said:
I'll stop playing video games before I do that. Hey, its not like I play them now. Mostly I just keep my GameCube tethered to my tv while I spend my "gaming" time on here arguing with you people.

Well, that's one way.

And ew, evilromero, don't flaunt that shitty Star Fox Assault here.

ge-man

I suspect 480p is being supported, they can reuse those digital ports that they wasted this generation. As matter of fact, I don't see how Nintendo could expect compete on some level visual on HD sets with having at leat 480p and some strong filtering and AA. So in the end I'm really not worried about that.

empanada

evilromero said:
If Nintendo doesn't put ProScan or component out I'm gonna spank Iwata very hard...over a game of wifi smash bro because I can never resist the urge to buy new Nintendo hardware.
They should make a new Punch Out with Iwata as one of the characters. Or put video game people as playable characters. Can you imagine duking it out with Iwata, Miyamoto, Allard, Ken Kutaragi, etc on it. :lol

Ruzbeh

Banned
Gahiggidy said:
I don't want to go through the next generation feeling jealous of PS3 and 360° owners.
Xbox 360 degrees? :lol

This thread is missing damage control. It's incredibly painful to watch. :(

Rhindle

dorio said:
I think its a high risk decision that could pay off as mentioned before. You can really push some nice graphics on standard tvs at 640X480 with alot of AA. Kids will not be able to tell the difference in the first place and that demographic sells alot of unit during the holidays especially if the console is very cheap.
I kind of agree with that. If they're decoupling themselves from the Sony/MS competition, and going full bore after the casuals/kids/Nintendogs market, HDTV output does nothing for you. Better to have a much cheaper console with budget-priced games.

Amir0x said:
Well, that's one way.

And ew, evilromero, don't flaunt that shitty Star Fox Assault here.
It's a distinguished game. Not for the likes of the "ghetto" class. Go back to your "ProScan" feuding. I'm due for a manicure at 2:30.

Firest0rm

Ruzbeh said:
Xbox 360 degrees? :lol

The ships been broken in half, its impossible to do any damage control. If you try it's 100% certain fitality.

Amir0x

Banned
Ruzbeh said:

No it's not. I count at least 15 posts in this thread which are up there with some of the best, most outrageous damage control.

evilromero said:
It's a distinguished game. Not for the likes of the "ghetto" class. Go back to your "ProScan" feuding. I'm due for a manicure at 2:30.

It's certainly distinguished alright!

Gahiggidy

First console to launch under $100?

dorio

Banned
Gahiggidy said:
:lol You too.

Matt Cass is suiciding.

Matt-IGN said:
Matt, what's your'e take on the decision?

I think it demonstrates a clear lack of foresight on Nintendo's part. Again. Which is really disappointing.

People can defend Nintendo's decision to forego online this generation all they want, but at the end of the day, it only saved the company money in the short term. Nowadays, when people think about online games, they think about Xbox and by relationship Xbox 360. I think the lack of HD on Revolution is actually worse. Nintendo seems to be isolating itself from the rest of the world. Fact is, penetration of high-definition television sets is going to rise quicker than online gaming, which Nintendo is supporting in the coming generation. 30 percent of households are forecasted to own an HD set by the time Revolution launches. That number will rise to 70 percent by 2008, according to the Consumer Electronics Association, which monitors market trends like these.

Two years into the life cycle of Revolution and the majority of people will have an HD set. And Nintendo is going to ignore that? I just don't understand. This is a multi-billion dollar company. I can't for the life of me figure out how it could be so ignorant.

And the whole "we want to make sure the console is cheaper" line is pure public relations nonsense. This is happening because NCL has grown way too lazy. It doesn't want to waste time, resources and most of all, money, developing games in high-resolution.

Think about this. If Nintendo is so concerned about saving consumers money with Revolution, why does the console not feature an Ethernet jack? Nintendo is FORCING gamers to spring for a wireless router if they want to go online with Revolution.

Sadly, with Nintendo, it's always about shortchanging the consumer to make an extra buck. If the company didn't make the best damned games in the universe, people would not keep allowing this to happen.

He will be EIC of IGNXbox360 in '06.

Think about this. If Nintendo is so concerned about saving consumers money with Revolution, why does the console not feature an Ethernet jack? Nintendo is FORCING gamers to spring for a wireless router if they want to go online with Revolution.
what the fuck?

ok, NOW i'm upset.

fuck nintendo

I don't think that's so bad. If you wanted to go wireless on a console with Ethernet out, you'd have to buy the wireless adaptor/bridge AND a wireless router. At least this way it's only the router.

If I wanted to rig my consoles up downstairs without wifi, I'd have to get the cable company to come in and rejig a second modem downstairs away from the PC, or network things myself with wires. Which would be costly anyway.

It's the easiest and best option imo. Revolution along with PSP and DS just necessitates the move to wifi all the more.

Bacon said:
Matt Cass is suiciding.

That should have happened a long time ago.

ge-man

The Faceless Master said:
what the fuck?

ok, NOW i'm upset.

fuck nintendo

If you have a PC, you can buy a USB adaptor for access. On top of that, the machine is portable enough to take to any hotspot. Nintendo hasn't screwed anyone on the internet thing this time. Matt's being over dramatic as usual, but it doesn't matter. Like Bacon said, I expect Matt to bail on Nintendo part of IGN.

Amir0x

Banned
radioheadrule83 said:
I don't think that's so bad. If you wanted to go wireless on a console with Ethernet out, you'd have to buy the wireless adaptor/bridge AND a wireless router. At least this way it's only the router.

If I wanted to rig my consoles up downstairs without wifi, I'd have to get the cable company to come in and rejig a second modem downstairs away from the PC, or network things myself with wires. Which would be costly anyway.

It's the easiest and best option imo. Revolution along with PSP and DS just necessitates the move to wifi all the more.

radioheadrule83, it's time for you take a step back and like... play a few games. You're getting dangerously close to blind damage control :p

ge-man

Amir0x said:
radioheadrule83, it's time for you take a step back and like... play a few games. You're getting dangerously close to blind damage control :p

It's not damage control, though. I could swear that Nintendo announced that they will be providing a USB adaptor for those without a router or hotspot. This is cheaper than having to use an adoptor for a the ethernet port on top of that.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
ge-man said:
It's not damage control, though. I could swear that Nintendo announced that they will be providing a USB adaptor for those without a router or hotspot. This is cheaper than having to use an adoptor for a the ethernet port on top of that.

They are. I got wind of it at E3. They are releaseing a Nintendo-branded USB-based wireless adaptor.

Memles

ge-man said:

There was word of this in the DS Online announcement recently printed in (I think) Famitsu. There was information on some sort of USB Adapter to be released at a later time. I think it would be neat to see them use the same wireless adapter for DS and Revolution, so that people owning both can buy only one product.

Rhindle

I take it Nintendo is going to put D-Link, Netgear and everyone else out of business because routers are no longer needed in light of introduction of the "USB adapter."

Amir0x

Banned
ge-man said:

...are we talkin' about what's best? Because I'm talkin' about what's best. No Ethernet Jack != best.

sangreal

ge-man said:
On top of that, the machine is portable enough to take to any hotspot.

Yeah, let me take my Revolution down to the local Cafe along with my TV. I'm sure they won't mind. Right?

Be realistic.

Wireless is nice and convenient and all, but I don't like it for online gaming. When a lot of people are on it at once I get some pretty bad lag. And yes, I have 802.11g

Ruzbeh

Banned
I was hoping for an Ethernet jack a few weeks ago. But certain 'things' turned out which will force me to set up a wireless network at home in a few weeks time.

(^ No damage control, really. :lol )

okay, people are defending not having an ethernet port?

are you fucking kidding me?

well, i'm sorry if i don't live in a huge 4 floor house with solid cement floors...

i mean, how dare i have the ability to run 100ft of ethernet across the apt!

i mean, what's so hard in having both?

I DON'T NEED ANOTHER ROUTER!

MS with no wifi and Nintendo with no Ethernet, fanboys defend both, it's sickening

ge-man

The Faceless Master said:
okay, people are defending not having an ethernet port?

are you fucking kidding me?

well, i'm sorry if i don't live in a huge 4 floor house with solid cement floors...

i mean, how dare i have the ability to run 100ft of ethernet across the apt!

i mean, what's so hard in having both?

I DON'T NEED ANOTHER ROUTER!

MS with no wifi and Nintendo with no Ethernet, fanboys defend both, it's sickening

I could've sworn that Nintendo has something to solve this, however. I guess I'm mistaken.

Bacon said:
Matt Cass is suiciding.
What's wrong with that? I don't think any editor at IGN is willing to cover Revolution exclusively. Matt C.'s rants may not be very popular around here but I think he's right about many of Nintendo's missteps.

yoopoo

Banned
Haha at Nintendo forums...

5vyu79

Top Bottom