• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Open 2016 [OT] Bodies ache, but New York will not wait. [Tennis]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamond

Serena seemed like she didn't manage to find her rythm in the match, facing an adversary that serves as well as her and goes for quick winners. I feel that she could have won the second if she did manage to make Pliskova play a little more rallies, but ultimately she was pretty much out of rythm the whole time and her serve suffered from it.

Peculiar how US Open favors big upsets in male and female draws year after year. I guess the combination of the fast surface, the event being at the end of the season and the US crowd are part of the reason.

Edit : Patrick Mouratoglou is saying Serena was hurt in the knee.

MIMIC

Banned
Couple of thoughts:

- Serena was sluggish all match. Quick turnaround after a tough battle against Simona hardly 20 hours before the match definitely hurt her. Plenty of times she was just not in position on her forehand and missed it by miles. But she dug deep and would've toughed it out had her opponent not served from a tree. Pliskova had never made a Slam R3, and now she's in the final, and joins the list of players to beat both Williams sisters in one event.

- that tie-break was so tense and dramatic. In between all the double faults and Pliskova completely gifting the ball to Serena at 3-3, there was a miraculous defense of a crushed second serve return at 5-5. I'm still trying to work out how Pliskova, not known at all for her defense, did that.

- The pressure on Kerber, new world #1, and Wozniacki just went through the roof - they know that if they win, they're favourites to win the title. Could Wozniacki come through to win a Slam after a dreadful season when she couldn't do it as #1 herself?

- Serena and Steffi will be tied in the record books as joint holders of the longest consecutive #1 streak, at 186 each. And they're still tied in Slams won, for now.

LOL wow. So much was on the line in this match.

leng jai

Pretty bad tactics from Wozniacki actually. Should have moon balled a lot more to be honest, would have made it far closer.

Speevy

Banned
What if you had to take a giant shit in the middle of the match? Would you have to retire or would they let you go to the bathroom off court?

Speevy

Banned
Anything you can do I can do worse. I can do anything worser than you. No, I can't. No, I can't. No, I can't.

oti

Banned
I would be so pissed if I had paid money for this shitshow.

What exactly happened? I haven't watched any of it.

Djoker had a 5-0 lead and lost three consecutive games. The way he lost them was bizarre though. Both played with zero energy as if they were playing in their backyard or something. As if they didn't care.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

Djoker had a 5-0 lead and lost three consecutive games. The way he lost them was bizarre though. Both played with zero energy as if they were playing in their backyard or something. As if they didn't care.

Ah, I see.

sam777

Does the match tickets cover both the semi finals?

MIMIC

Banned
The circus has come to town.

After Monfils's display out there, ESPN took it upon themselves to display information about the "Best Effort" rule, which comes with a $10K fine.

oti

Banned
Hey President of the French Tennis Association, we get it. The French Open 2016 were TERRIBLE. You don't need to remind us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom