• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USA Fencing Manufacturer acts racist, is immediately fired due to petition.

Huge thumbs up from me, and mad props on USFA for doing the right thing.

Organizations need to do more due diligence on the businesses they are associated with to avoid being associated with undesirable business practices, morals and ethics.

You and your teammates collectively also deserve commendation for not tolerating this kind of behavior and for being able to come together in such quick manner. Truly a team.

Fuchsdh

https://www.facebook.com/scott.harkey.12

"I would like to apologize to those of you who have been offended by my comment on facebook. I do accept full responsibility for my comment and ask for you to all forgive me as try to be a better person."

Other highlights from his Facebook:

Fake news story about Seth Rich from Washex.am
Picture of giant gun with caption "Bad Guys Don't Ring Doorbells"
"Shouldn't people on welfare have to remain drug free to keep their benefits?"

Textbook case of people not understanding Facebook privacy settings. But it makes it fairly easy to see where he's coming from and feel limited sympathy.

EDIT: Nvm people already grabbed the Civil War comments. But man, his entire feed is full of gems. And yet he still hasn't figured out how to lock down his timeline.

milkham

This is that lower case kkk thing that Aziz Ansari talked about on SNL. Trump got elected and a whole bunch of people thought they didn't have to pretend to not be racist anymore.

border

Textbook case of people not understanding Facebook privacy settings. But it makes it fairly easy to see where he's coming from and feel limited sympathy..

Is "All my posts are public" still the default setting for Facebook?

They really ought to do idiots a favor and have "Only friends can see my posts" as the start-out setting. At least make people opt into their own undoing.

Fuchsdh

Is "All my posts are public" still the default setting for Facebook?

They really ought to do idiots a favor and have "Only friends can see my posts" as the start-out setting. At least make people opt into their own undoing.

To be fair (to everyone, not just fools who spout off offensive or borderline racist opinions) Facebook has to have changed their privacy settings enough to prompt the user to review them a couple dozen times at this point. I locked mine down years ago and it's stayed friends-only throughout all the changes, but I dunno what the defaults are at this point.

Hopeford

Just some extra background as to why this blew up so quickly: to fence, you need a paid membership with your country's fencing federation which handles a lot of things.

As the USA's Federation's official armorer, sword masters was getting money that came from people's memberships. People did not enjoy that their membership money was being given to a racist dude and some big names in fencing also signed the petition. This was the biggest reason even the 'but first amendment' people couldn't muster up much of a defense.

Also, fencing has been growing a fair bit in the last couple years, partially due to its efforts to include people who are normally not encouraged to be included in anything. This has been an interesting incident to me because it made me research fencing as a community a little.

Well, gonna be interesting to see who's the new armorer​ next time I go fence in the us.

Top Bottom