• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve upgrading Steam Mobile into a fully App Store Alternative would have been a better investment Than Steam Machine.

There is an universe right now where Steam Mobile is THEE place to get all your gaming apps on mobile.

But we don't live in that universe.

I'm not a mobile gamer but it would seems going they either route would have made Valve and Steam not only a household name but s mobile one

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
There is an universe right now where Steam Mobile is THEE place to get all your gaming apps on mobile.

I'm not a mobile gamer but it would seems going they either route would have made Valve and Steam not only a household name but s mobile one

iOS is too big in N America, and doesn't allow 3rd party stores..

On Android it's a side-loading thing, that isn't obvious to most users either..

So.. nah.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
They could of had allowed for the user to download outside apple/ android, and even if, I feel the revenue in the long term could justify the cost in the beginning, especially if games were published by valve themselves.
Apple doesn't allow for sideloading of apps
Android it's obtuse for an average user to do it (Not to mention Google throws about 10 screens warning you the app is unsigned, potentially malicious, etc)

No, it would not justify it. Keeping your revenue completely within your own garden and control is the best method for your products

Giving away 30% is giving away 30% no matter what way you wanna cut it; long term, they would have just gotten that 30% instead of giving it to platform fees

-30% doesn't magically become -10% because it's long term

The power of hindsight. The App Store in terms of gaming was nowhere near the juggernaut (or as proven a commodity) in 2015 as it is in 2021. I'd arguably say 2013 because that's likely when Valve started planning and developing the various components for Steam machines.

As a concept I still think Steam machines could serve a purpose but if there's any company in the industry currently best suited at it, that would be Microsoft. In some ways they are doing a softer version of that approach with Series X, S, and bringing PC/mobile/tablet devices into the Xbox ecosystem (the latter options through streaming-only however).

I feel like their approach is a more refined and sensible spiritual successor to what Valve tried with Steam machines years back.

PhaseJump

Banned
There is a universe right now where OP MegaZoneEX's threads aren't THEE place that consistently begs the stupidest of questions, and explores the boundries between being naive or being retarded.

There is a universe right now where OP MegaZoneEX's threads aren't THEE place that consistently begs the stupidest of questions, and explores the boundries between being naive or being retarded.

That's harsh dude
can you not stop GIF by John Crist Comedy

The Steam machine was all about trying to make Linux viable for gaming. Unfortunately with mobile devices there isn't even a slightly viable 3rd outside of Android and IOS.

There's no way that would have been profitable or even practicable considering the degree of control Apple and Google exert over their platforms.

PhaseJump

Banned
That's harsh dude
can you not stop GIF by John Crist Comedy

Yes. This whole thread is predicated on the idea that Valve wasted money by investing in Steam Machines, and it was more risky for them than getting into a fight for mobile. It's dumb.

What huge risk was the Steam Machines gimmick to Valve? They didn't invest heavily into it in the first place, not heavily enough to have their own flagship hardware platform to lose money on. They opened up what they were doing already (risky stuff, that status quo) and gave PC OEMs an opportunity to grow PC gaming in a fringe direction that overlaps the console space.

Top Bottom