• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vanillaware's 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim is being ported to the Nintendo Switch for release in April 2022

CGiRanger

Banned
I don't know that there would have to be sacrifices, per se? It was originally conceived to be on Vita as well as PS4, then delays put it out of contention for release on the Sony's dropped portable. So it was originally being made to be on lesser hardware, that just never happened until now. PS4 version has technical hitches, but it looks like the game engine already has a system for simplifying the effects display of units/attacks on-screen when commands are being given. (I haven't actually played the game, is that a correct assessment of how the game works?) If that's the case, they might be able to dial that in more severely in command-issuing moments on Switch. The visual style is intentionally excessive, but the gameplay systems seem to already have means of stabilizing when you need control; they maybe under-utilized it on PS4 since the framerate remained okay except for some hairy later events, on Switch they may have to be more constrictive.

Or, as some have mentioned, they might simplify battle balance with different enemy numbers (or clusters?) at a similar HP to present the battles as similarly as possible. Maybe also take off some of the particle lighting effects and quantity of particles in an explosion-shower. (Particles have been particularly problematic on a mobile device in other games, so it's the one worrying aspect of this port, that it's so particle-heavy in its effects, but they do have options.)

Interesting. So it was initially conceived for the Vita too? I guess that explains why so many felt the UI interface felt like it belonged on a mobile platform. Hopefully they'll be able to calibrate the technical performance on the Switch, though it seems that those only occurred for the Battle sections? And it would seem that the primary meat of the game is the VN aspect, and that the battles are more flourish and secondary.

Shifty1897

It's interesting that there was no mention of this game in the last Nintendo Direct. This is a critically acclaimed third party title coming to Switch, you would think Nintendo would want to highlight that.

Great game but I played it on a PS4pro. Hopefully Switch framerate won't tank when there are a dozen explosions on the screen.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I have to finish this game. I got stuck on a part involving that fucking cat. Really great game up to that (including the non-visual novel stuff). You think you know where the story is going and the game is like "Nope."

. . .also has the requisite VW-milkers for you deviants out there.

Shifty1897

The greatest thing 13 Sentinels does is tying that batshit crazy anime plot (I'm not spoiling it here, but seriously what the hell) into something that actually mostly makes sense by the end.

lachesis

I wonder when it's going to come up for the pre-order on any place.... (in U.S.)
Heck, for some reason, it's not even on Nintendo's own website where it shows all the upcoming 1st, 3rd party games and indy games.. Strange.

Last edited:

CamHostage

They actually mention it in the Japanese Direct

Good catch.
No "gameplay" yet of the combat scenarios, which leaves still some concern about how well it'll port (the PlayStation 4 game notoriously dragged in massive full-map skirmishes,) but hopefully it'll come over to a handheld at last in good shape. The character interaction graphics certainly converted nicely.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Bumping again since we didn't seem to talk about it much now that it's out on Switch, and I'm curious how it worked out as a port. Anybody else get it?

Deerock71 Deerock71 in a different thread said that so far for them it turned out well on Switch.

Deerock71 said:
There are reviewers that have intentionally stress-tested this game, and they said it dips where expected, but it's still totally playable. Several reviewers also stated the Switch version feels like the way the game was intended to be played (think Vita).

EDIT- Personally, I've experienced no dips whatsoever, but I'm only like 3 hours into it.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Danjin44 Danjin44 !!!! 😃

It run at 30 fps or 60 fps?
60 FPS both in remembrance and destruction mode, but like in PS4 version you might see some framrate dip based on how on destruction onscreen during the combat.

Especially when you use Missile Rain.
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Deerock71

The RTS segments feel like they're going to kick my ass (I'm not great at them). But, I DO want to maintain the challenge level there, because the story segments are SO GOOD I want to feel the price of peril if I bite it. I feel like I'm playing one of the most epic sci-fi animes anyone has ever bothered to deliver to anybody! So, if anime, sci-fi, and RTS games appeal to any of you, just bear in mind 13 Sentinels feels like 1 of 1, in that we may never experience a game like this again.

If a game ever deserved a cult following, it's 13 Sentinels.
Excited Lets Go GIF

Danjin44

The RTS segments feel like they're going to kick my ass (I'm not great at them). But, I DO want to maintain the challenge level there, because the story segments are SO GOOD I want to feel the price of peril if I bite it. I feel like I'm playing one of the most epic sci-fi animes anyone has ever bothered to deliver to anybody! So, if anime, sci-fi, and RTS games appeal to any of you, just bear in mind 13 Sentinels feels like 1 of 1, in that we may never experience a game like this again.

Excited Lets Go GIF
It has multiple difficulty and its RTS gameplay is not hardcore like Starcraft to be hard for newcomer to pick up.

Danjin44

I fully admit I'm not good at RTS but I want to feel the pain!
spank GIF
I’m also not RTS player but it’s intense difficulty was fun and despite people’s issue with visual in destruction mode it was super satisfying to see large number of Kaijus explode.

Last edited:

The_hunter

I've seen a lot of hype for this on switch, it might find it's audience there much like Hades did.

Is this game psycological like Evangelion, or more of a sci-fi/war-story like gundam?

Deerock71

I've seen a lot of hype for this on switch, it might find it's audience there much like Hades did.

Is this game psycological like Evangelion, or more of a sci-fi/war-story like gundam?
Not knowing either of those, I'm still leaning towards Gundam. Try to combine 13 different sci-fi films/series into one cohesive plot.

Last edited:

NanaMiku

Excited Lets Go GIF
The RTS segment is not too hard, even on normal mode. The difficulty curve is pretty good.

It's more a little bit of every sci-fi story out there. IIRC, the inspiration are almost 80s sci-fi.

The game is not that long and is easy to 100% clear.
If you have finished the game please read this interview, really good

Danjin44

If you have finished the game please read this interview, really good
My god, George Kamitani and his team worked their ass off for make this game happen, they deserve every praise they get, this was not easy project to make especially the fact Vanillaware dont have big team compare to AAA studios.

Last edited:

Rac3r

The art style of this game is beautiful, but it's a shame that the story is held back by a corny ass mecha theme. The RTS fights aren't that fun either, which is why I never bothered finishing it on PS4.

Imagine this art style paired with a murder mystery game like Disco Elysium. Would've been 10x better. Fuck the weak ass RTS and mecha bullshit.

NanaMiku

My god, George Kamitani and his worked their ass off for make this game happen, they deserve every praise they get, this was not easy project to make especially the fact Vanillaware dont have big team compare to AAA studios.
Yeah, I wish the sales really good
The art style of this game is beautiful, but it's a shame that the story is held back by a corny ass mecha theme. The RTS fights aren't that fun either, which is why I never bothered finishing it on PS4.

Imagine this art style paired with a murder mystery game like Disco Elysium. Would've been 10x better. Fuck the weak ass RTS and mecha bullshit.
I love this game since it's I always hope Vanillaware make as sci-fi game. They really delivers.

If you want a "better" gameplay of Vanillaware game, you can try Odin Sphere and Dragon's Crown, both remastered to PS4. Both have similar gameplay, side scrolling action. Odin Sphere focused more on the story, with 5 different character and story. Dragon's Crown focused more on gameplay, with 4 players gameplay. GrimGrimoire also will be coming to PS4 and Switch, but still Japan only right now. Story is about magic school and repeating days. Gameplay is side scrolling RTS.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I hope Marvelous will remaster it someday. Especially now NIS finally remaster GrimGrimoire. Those games are not published by Atlus.
What's the deal with Atlus? Are they against earning money or something?

I'm currently playing Dragon's Crown and man, this game would be perfect on the Switch.

Top Bottom