• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VG Tech] Dying Light 2 PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Because the developer choose to.
Not having VRR has never stopped games from running at 120 or any fps ever, like come on Riky.

Which makes it even more surprising the developer didn't unlock performance on PS5, could be a number of other factors like the PS5 having an average FPS that wouldn't suit well on 120hz without VRR mitigating the frequent dips.

Which makes it even more surprising the developer didn't unlock performance on PS5, could be a number of other factors like the PS5 having an average FPS that wouldn't suit well on 120hz without VRR mitigating the frequent dips.

I’m guessing 120FPS should be possible due to how close the systems are. I guess VRR is probably the only reason why it doesn’t have it.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Surely no one is playing this in resolution mode, you'd really have to hate yourself.

The 60fps mode is silky smooth, just sadly quite low res, but I'll take that over a PowerPoint presentation (that ultimately looks worst in motion)
Totally agree.

I played the first few hours in Quality mode to get the pretty ray tracing, Switch to performance mode and now I could never go back. The camera turning in Quality/Resolution mode actually makes me a little sick.

Loxus

The thing is, PS5 has games that run under 120fps without VRR and it's never been a problem, which makes be wonder why the developer didn't enable it.

Denton

So many people playing this on consoles without the ability to enjoy RTGI...so sad

FLVHCtGXoAczlBv

FLVHFSgXEAYzSj5

FLVHEVEXsAQdoTR

DaGwaphics

Hard to believe that Series S users are left without a 60 fps mode. Is this game really that heavy on GPU? Because it doesn't look like it is, I mean, it looks as cross-gen as it gets.

With the big boys limited to just 1080p/60 I'd hate to think what the XSS would have to run at. It's typically around 1/4 res. Personally, I'd say if it has to be less than 720p, just skip 60fps mode on the XSS.

With the big boys limited to just 1080p/60 I'd hate to think what the XSS would have to run at. It's typically around 1/4 res. Personally, I'd say if it has to be less than 720p, just skip 60fps mode on the XSS.
I'm thinking these guys didn't even bother optimizing the game for XSS at all. The game runs the same on PS4 and X1. They just copied last gen version and dropped it on XSS. No reason this game can't at least run 1080p/60 on XSS.

Riky

$MSFT
Riky Riky Check this out.

Most pointless post ever?

Nobody is saying PS5 can't do 120fps, I have a PS5 and a 120hz TV myself.
The point you're either ignorant to or are trying to avoid is that because PS5 doesn't support VRR still after more than a year that it doesn't have this mode on this game.

90-110fps with no VRR would be an unstable screen tearing mess so the developers chose only to implement it on Series X. For 120hz TV owners this means a 30-50fps advantage in this game with no resolution defecit on this game.
No brainer for those who want smoother gameplay and it's noticeably smoother.

Last edited:

b0uncyfr0

90-110fps with no VRR would be an unstable screen tearing mess so the developers chose only to implement it on Series X.
Wait, doesn't the PS5 support 120hz - even if its running in unlocked mode - why would it be tearing?

I think a lot of people would pick 1080p/100 fps over 60 fps with tearing. Whether they'll implement it (or see it as viable) is another thing.

dcmk7

Banned
Hard to believe that Series S users are left without a 60 fps mode. Is this game really that heavy on GPU? Because it doesn't look like it is, I mean, it looks as cross-gen as it gets.
Sounds like they are struggling too for some reason.

Definitely a significantly weaker experience compared to the XSX version. Jason Ronald words about the same experience just at lower resolution seems a pipe dream right now.

Arioco

Sounds like they are struggling too for some reason.

Definitely a significantly weaker experience compared to the XSX version. Jason Ronald words about the same experience just at lower resolution seems a pipe dream right now.

I'm a bit surprised at its performance on every console, to be honest. 1080p and 30 fps on One X? Really? I mean, this console runs Red Dead Redemption at 4K@30fps! I honestly don't know if DL2 uses a more advanced tech than Rdr2, but if it does it doesn't look like it.

Riky

$MSFT
I'm thinking these guys didn't even bother optimizing the game for XSS at all. The game runs the same on PS4 and X1. They just copied last gen version and dropped it on XSS. No reason this game can't at least run 1080p/60 on XSS.

Hopefully they can unlock the framerate for Series S like on Series X, if it runs in the fifties on average it would be great with VRR.

Loxus

Most pointless post ever?

Nobody is saying PS5 can't do 120fps, I have a PS5 and a 120hz TV myself.
The point you're either ignorant to or are trying to avoid is that because PS5 doesn't support VRR still after more than a year that it doesn't have this mode on this game.

90-110fps with no VRR would be an unstable screen tearing mess so the developers chose only to implement it on Series X. For 120hz TV owners this means a 30-50fps advantage in this game with no resolution defecit on this game.
No brainer for those who want smoother gameplay and it's noticeably smoother.
You were saying PS5 can't have 120fps mode because it doesn't have VRR.

PS5 currently run games with unstable 120fps and isn't a screen tearing mess.

When are you going to stop with the lies?

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
You were saying PS5 can't have 120fps mode because it doesn't have VRR.

PS5 run currently run games with unstable 120fps and isn't a screen tearing mess.

When are you going to stop with the lies?

It's not a 120fps mode, so you are the one lying. It's an unlock of framerate on performance mode not a separate mode. Unstable 120fps is not the same as 90-110fps, you will feel those framerate lurches with no VRR, so that probably why PS5 is stuck at 60fps still.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Xbox One X version looks very stable, the best last gen way to play by a good margin.
Too much tearing on the others, the framerate is decent but fuck all that tearing.
At times it's trying to go above 30 on PS4/Pro like the first game, how could they not have fixed that shit by now? :messenger_weary:

dcmk7

Banned
The game is just thrown onto the consoles, badly optimized.
They didn't even bother optimizing for the SSDs in the Series/PS5 consoles. It's like a last gen port with a RT mode.
Yeh considering the development time they have had, albeit troubled, expected it to be a bit more polished for this generation of consoles. Especially considering the marketing around the game at the moment.

But despite that it's good to see X1X still performing well. Has had a good few months with Halo Infinite exceeding even analysts, such as DF, expectations.

Last edited:

PS4 renders at a native resolution of 1536x864.

Xbox One S renders at a native resolution of 1280x720.

DF lied about Xbox One res.

It wasn't Tom this time.

They also stated a lower resolution found on PS5 in resolution mode. While they stated the exact res on XSX (1944p) , they said it's was 1800p on PS5 while it's actually 1836p according to the others. If it's about averaging the resolution (as they now say resolution is irrelevant), why not saying 1900p on XSX then?

Last edited:

Mr Moose

They also stated a lower resolution found on PS5 in resolution mode. While they stated the exact res on XSX (1944p) , they said it's was 1800p on PS5 while it's actually 1836p according to the others. If it's about averaging the resolution (as they now say resolution is irrelevant), why not saying 1900p on XSX then?
Yeah that was Tom. Tom is always full of shit.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Have they confirmed it’s a bug? Bug or not, till the shadows are back how could anyone play on the Xbox given the choice knowing this is the case. At least wait for some clarity on the matter.
Probably because unless you were playing both side by side you wouldn't know, if the Series X can do the Ray traced shadows no problem then it could obviously do the setting for a lot less demanding effect.
An extra up to 60fps is a definite huge advantage, just been inside the bazaar and you can get 120fps at times, so double the framerate. Think that's the biggest gulf we've seen framerate wise this gen.

BigLee74

I see the DF bashing continues, simply because they dared to quote the PS5 resolution they encountered in a dynamic resolution mode? Get over it. It’s still lower than the XSX regardless.

What you really want to get your knickers in a twist over is 1080p for the performance mode, or lack of 60fps mode on the XSS. Both of which seem pretty poor.

On a related note, my boy has just asked me to go half on this. GTF was my response after he refused to go halves on COD Vanguard, yet then continued to play it when I bought it. Some free Dying Light 2 for me today, I think! 😂

Mr Moose

I see the DF bashing continues, simply because they dared to quote the PS5 resolution they encountered in a dynamic resolution mode? Get over it. It’s still lower than the XSX regardless.

What you really want to get your knickers in a twist over is 1080p for the performance mode, or lack of 60fps mode on the XSS. Both of which seem pretty poor.

On a related note, my boy has just asked me to go half on this. GTF was my response after he refused to go halves on COD Vanguard, yet then continued to play it when I bought it. Some free Dying Light 2 for me today, I think! 😂
Resolution is fixed, not dynamic.

DaGwaphics

Yeah, the amount of headroom that exists on XSX makes you wonder about this one. Just noticed they had unlocked the framerate on XSX, that's a new development.

Last edited:

Lysandros

Have they confirmed it’s a bug? Bug or not, till the shadows are back how could anyone play on the Xbox given the choice knowing this is the case. At least wait for some clarity on the matter.
Besides, bug or not shadows certainly have a not so modest processing cost that must be considered in context of slightly higher resolution of XSX version in one (res.) mode especially.

Riky

$MSFT
Even in performance mode the lack of shadows (and possibly reduced shading?) on trees on XSX impacts the graphic complexity of some scenes quite drastically. I think this is the main reason of the ever so slight performance difference in XSX favor in that mode, IQ settings aren't a match essentially.

wqrPbJU.jpg
Performance mode runs at up to twice the framerate on Series X, minimum 20fps higher.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Even in performance mode the lack of shadows (and possibly reduced shading?) on trees on XSX impacts the graphic complexity of some scenes quite drastically. I think this is the main reason of the ever so slight performance difference in XSX favor in that mode, IQ settings aren't a match essentially.

wqrPbJU.jpg
It literally looks like what a last gen vs upgraded next gen version looks like

Top Bottom