• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VG Tech] Dying Light 2 PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison

Now the biggest difference between both versions is clearly the 120hz mode available only on XSX. That's a big plus for that version and it's clearly the version to get (if you have VRR TV).

The VRR mode is nice on Series X but there is some annoying graphical glitches around the TV Tower parts..im not sure if its related to 120fps mode or if is just design issues..in saying that
The Ps5 also suffers slowdown a fair bit in this part of the game..particularly when you go into the ship and are running through the containers

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Guys, today I learned that shadows are king. Who the hell needs framerate anyway?

It's not even that, the only 'difference' is the level of shading on some trees only, the difference in shadow doesn't extend to the terrain, AO coverage etc.

It's one of those differences you wouldn't even have noticed unless someone points it out side by side.

Shmunter

No it doesn't, come on lol.
These are the sort of flourishes you get in cross gen games, higher quality effects or extra effects, most times not even that; limited to just rez or performance. It’s probably the biggest gfx effect discrepancy between a game across 2 system yet.

This can’t just be played down. Would be saying exactly the same if it were the other way around.

Last edited:

adamsapple

These are the sort of flourishes you get in cross gen games, higher quality effects or extra effects, most times not even that; limited to just rez or performance. It’s probably the biggest gfx effect discrepancy between a game across 2 system yet.

This can’t just be played down.

With all due respect, I hope you're trolling. The difference is in shading on some trees, none of the foliage or terrain or buildings etc.

Digital Foundry gave it all but 1 sentence of lip service in their video, VGTech and NXGamer don't even note it in theirs IIRC.

Shmunter

With all due respect, I hope you're trolling. The difference is in shading on some trees, none of the foliage or terrain or buildings etc.

Digital Foundry gave it all but 1 sentence of lip service in their video, VGTech and NXGamer don't even note it in theirs IIRC.
Discussing gfx differences in a comparison topic is not trolling. Is the difference not obvious?

It is to me, maybe not so much to you. Anyway, it is what it is.

adamsapple

Discussing gfx differences in a comparison topic is not trolling. Is the difference not obvious?

It is to me, maybe not so much to you. Anyway, it is what it is.

No, the difference is obvious, I, and apparently all the video game comparison youtube channels, don't think it's notable.

Especially since that forest area is just the prologue of the game, which means it' only there for the beginning of the game.

So, I'm not denying the difference, I don't think it's nearly as profound as you think it is.

The near doubling of frame rate is the much bigger and more obvious difference.

Erm... That's where it is.

I meant the greater grass coverage.

Last edited:
These consoles shouldn’t be locked at the standard res from 2013. 90fps of vasoline doesn’t appeal to me, so I’ll be waiting for this game to be patched or go on deep sale for pc.

Mr Moose

There seems to be a difference in reflections in places, and some shadows.

XSXPerf_001.jpg

PS5Perf_001.jpg

adamsapple

There seems to be a difference in reflections in places, and some shadows.

XSXPerf_001.jpg

PS5Perf_001.jpg

The difference in shading is already known and honestly hit or miss.

The difference in SSR is the more notable here. But, again, none of the comparison sources have pointed something like this out, so it's either a one off capture or a very specific place where it happens/doesn't happen I reckon.

Mr Moose

The difference in shading is already known and honestly hit or miss.

The difference in SSR is the more notable here. But, again, none of the comparison sources have pointed something like this out, so it's either a one off capture or a very specific place where it happens/doesn't happen I reckon.
Tom from DF is blind and misses a lot of things (this is where the pics are from).
Like this in RT (Quality) mode:
XSXQuality_002.jpg

PS5Quality_002.jpg

They should have the same lighting/shadows in the RT mode, but they don't, which is odd.

Not casting light through the trees properly/at all, could be related to the other modes with the shading on the trees, maybe?

Last edited:

adamsapple

Tom from DF is blind and misses a lot of things (this is where the pics are from).
Like this in RT (Quality) mode:
XSXQuality_002.jpg

PS5Quality_002.jpg

They should have the same lighting/shadows in the RT mode, but they don't, which is odd.

Not casting light through the trees properly/at all, could be related to the other modes with the shading on the trees, maybe?

I'm not able to see anything but the aforementioned shading difference in those pics.

Ah well, can't blame Tom alone for this as DF is the only one who even brought up the shading difference in the first place.

Mr Moose

I'm not able to see anything but the aforementioned shading difference in those pics.

Ah well, can't blame Tom alone for this as DF is the only one who even brought up the shading difference in the first place.
Its the RT mode, there shouldn't be a difference in that mode.
Timestamped on the vid the light is shining through on the left side but not the right (I noticed it in a few areas in the video, 17:00, 19:08 and so on).
It's odd that they have differences between them in the RT (Quality) mode, might be related to the bug in the other two modes.

adamsapple

Timestamped on the vid the light is shining through on the left side but not the right (I noticed it in a few areas in the video, 17:00, 19:08 and so on).
It's odd that they have differences between them in the RT (Quality) mode, might be related to the bug in the other two modes.

For what it's worth the difference in the RT mode pics is not as easy to pick out compared to the Perf. mode pics.

Last edited:

Loxus

I can't believe you're showing visual proof of how noticeable it is and it's being passed off as not easy to see but hypes up the small resolution difference. 😂

Last edited:

adamsapple

^ I hope that isn't directed at me cause I haven't talked about any resolution difference in this topic.

Anyway, this is the far more prevalent difference of the two and for whatever reason, SX exclusively has this massive doubling of performance as an advantage over PS5 right now. Even without VRR, not unlocking performance on PS5 is certainly a decision.

Not only is SX the only one with the unlocked frame rate, it seems to be respectably close to 120 a lot, even if it dips within a certain range, VRR takes care of the perceived drops and eliminates judder. The VRR update can't come to PS5 soon enough.

FLffTprWQAke65F

Last edited:
^ I hope that isn't directed at me cause I haven't talked about any resolution difference in this topic.

Anyway, this is the far more prevalent difference of the two and for whatever reason, SX exclusively has this massive doubling of performance as an advantage over PS5 right now. Even without VRR, not unlocking performance on PS5 is certainly a decision.

Not only is SX the only one with the unlocked frame rate, it seems to be respectably close to 120 a lot, even if it dips within a certain range, VRR takes care of the perceived drops and eliminates judder.

FLffTprWQAke65F
VRR always wins baby

adamsapple

It ain't worth shit

You're right. It ain't.

On second glance it looks like SX has a little bit of a shading and shadow advantage in the Quality (RT) mode picture. Gif'ed below, on the left segment the two squares show stronger shading on SX, the tree on the right shows stronger shadow on PS5 so highlighted that as well.

Anyway, the performance difference is still far bigger than this.

ezgif-3-f10a77999ft2jr7.gif

ak53k08.png

plQeBD8.png

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned

He is not trolling and is deadly serious. You are trying to talk to one of GAFs/the internets finest, most pathetic fanboys. It's a lost cause

You're right. It ain't.

On second glance it looks like SX has a little bit of a shading and shadow advantage in the Quality (RT) mode picture. Gif'ed below, on the left segment the two squares show stronger shading on SX, the tree on the right shows stronger shadow on PS5 so highlighted that as well.

ak53k08.png

plQeBD8.png
That's almost a generational difference, I agree with Shmunter tbh.

Funny Face Saga GIF by Big Brother Naija

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Wow, these comparisons are getting even worse. The lighting thing I can see but it literally looks like one is just brighter than the other. That RT comparison is literally the office “they are the same picture”

it’s getting harder and harder to spot these differences.

thise brighter trees on the Xbox, that’s a lower quality setting and not just a rendering difference?

has it been mentioned what settings difference it is, eg low on xbox vs medium on ps5 so I can fire it up on my pc and actually see it?

Shmunter

You're right. It ain't.

ak53k08.png

plQeBD8.png
Do you have the time to do one for the performance mode for the plebs? That's the VRR mode and of far more interest based on discussion.

Mr Moose

You're right. It ain't.

ak53k08.png

plQeBD8.png
I think it's the other way around, I don't think the light is shining through properly on the Series pic.
Look at the tree near slightly to the right of the left rectangle, it's not displaying correctly (the same with the light shining through in the later sections).
I'm thinking they fucked something up with the Xbox trees and it's inherited from the non-RT modes, should be fixed in a patch.

adamsapple

Do you have the time to do one for the performance mode for the plebs? That's the VRR mode and of far more interest based on discussion.

Sure. Same as I said before and for the RT mode comparison, the difference is just in some shading in the mid-ground trees. Distant terrain and near-field grass etc are not effected.

k8CX6iW.gif

Oh, I may have done a little editorializing here. :lollipop_grinning_smiling_eyes:

You're right. It ain't.

ak53k08.png

plQeBD8.png
What's up with that leafy branch top middle jumping back and forth?

adamsapple

What's up with that leafy branch top middle jumping back and forth?

Even on the same frame, with so many subroutines running in the background some variances should be expected like a tree branch moving one direction instead of the other.

Best we can expect is to match time of day I guess, so many other things may not match even then.

Even on the same frame, with so many subroutines running in the background some variances should be expected like a tree branch moving one direction instead of the other.

Best we can expect is to match time of day I guess, so many other things may not match even then.
Honestly in all the comparisons of leafs neither actually looks correct. Looking at where things cast shadows you can figure out where the sun is, but none of the trees leafs look proper.

adamsapple

Bigger difference than the PS4 vs PS5 versions of horizon forbidden west. That’s what I was getting at.

I think you're in the extreme minority who sees it that different, but Ok if you think it's that notable.

Clearly most other folk and comparison channels didn't.

DaGwaphics

Blue team working hard to tell themselves they got a "win" here. Will be embarrassing when the shadows get patched up (hopefully they don't overplay it though, a midpoint would be best).

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Bigger difference than the PS4 vs PS5 versions of horizon forbidden west. That’s what I was getting at.

You'd need to talk to the devs about that. There was a lot less difference between the last-gen base and current-gen on HFW than what I was expecting. Not a jab at how the game looks, just a testament to what a great job they did balancing things for the PS4. Completely off topic for this thread however.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Both look wrong in opposite ways. I'm not sure why you are picking one to be the good one.
Flat unshaded objects vs Shaded objects with depth are both equal in a rended scene?

It really doesn’t matter what one prefers or doesn’t, as odd as it may be - it’s the technical discrepancy that is evident.

Enjoy what you will. Evidence based tech discussion are not for everyone.

Flat unshaded objects vs Shaded objects with depth are both equal in a rended scene?

It really doesn’t matter what one prefers or doesn’t, as odd as it may be - it’s the technical discrepancy that is evident.

Enjoy what you will. Evidence based tech discussion are not for everyone.
So the ps5 shaded where the light is hitting is correct to you? I'm sorry but shadows don't work like that. Like I said they both look wrong just in opposite ways.

Edit
Its kinda funny how everyone here seems to read something and then put their own little fanboy spin on what you actually said and reply that way. Can people maybe just reply to the words that are said and stop with assumptions and hoop jumping?

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Just wanted to add, I am running this on pc with everything at highest settings possible and the trees look just like the Xbox series x version. There’s no way that’s anything but a rendering difference unless the pc version is suffering from the same “bug” as the series x version.

adamsapple

Just wanted to add, I am running this on pc with everything at highest settings possible and the trees look just like the Xbox series x version. There’s no way that’s anything but a rendering difference unless the pc version is suffering from the same “bug” as the series x version.

So maybe that lighter shading is the intended effect and the added shadowing/darker shading is the outlier ?

interesting.

Mr Moose

I mean, the SX seems to be more in line with the highest PC Preset going by the post I quoted ..
It's either bugged on the GDK or PS5 has a higher setting, but that doesn't happen often (Valhalla it did but that's about it). It looks bleached on the trees, I don't think that's intentional.
Or... PS5 is using some RT in normal modes and that's the one that's bugged:

PC with RT:

Without:

DenchDeckard DenchDeckard What GPU do you have? Can it do RT? If so, can you take a pic of this area with and without it on?

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It's either bugged on the GDK or PS5 has a higher setting, but that doesn't happen often (Valhalla it did but that's about it). It looks bleached on the trees, I don't think that's intentional.
Or... PS5 is using some RT in normal modes and that's the one that's bugged:

PC with RT:

Without:

DenchDeckard DenchDeckard What GPU do you have? Can it do RT? If so, can you take a pic of this area with and without it on?

hey just heading to bed now (in the UK) but I have an rtx 3080 and can try to take shots of the game with both RT on and off. I'm in the main part of the city now but all the trees have that like bleached look to them that the series X version has.

Ill grab some shots tomorrow :)

Top Bottom