• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGC] Neil Druckmann says new Naughty Dog title could ‘redefine mainstream perceptions of gaming’

phaedrus

Hd Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

IDWhite

boosting hardware capabilities is essential—it not only supports high-fidelity, complex games but also simplifies the development of simpler ones by reducing the need for extensive code optimization.

Sure, high-fidelity complex games on Ps5 but with Ps4 engine.

But what about using the specific hardware capabilities through extensive code optimization to leverage what your platform can do? I don't expect less from the ND dev team. We will see if they deliver on this.

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
I'm not a Neil hater by any means, but this kind of message is a big red flag IMO. ND made a huge impact on the action-adventure genre and that's cool but in the last five years, they have done nothing aside from wasting money. Just do what you do best, that's it.

Dr. Suchong

So more crumbling ledges, with the lead protagonist dangling from the remnants and shouting "No no no NO!" or "Oh Crap!"?
Cool.

Fake

You can't imagine how much I hate this bullshit. Worst of all, the guys writing this stuff truly believe they are transgressors or visionaries. It was fine the first time someone did it in the last century, it's not smart anymore.

I was expecting a tons of new zombie enemies in the TLOUSpart2, but what I get is this bullshit about 'forget zombies, human are really bad bruh'.

The fun fact, as most TLOUS fanboys hate when I point out, I did hate the final episode of Days Gone for the same fucking reason.

xrnzaaas

The Rock Eye Roll GIF by WWE

Mainstream games are best and sell best when they're not trying too hard to touch difficult subjects. There's more room for that in the indie market.

Last edited:

llLeonhart

Gonna be honest here, my faith in ND has declined significantly over the years, they haven't even put anything out this generation...

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
You never disappoint to be the ambassador and representative of bad opinions, never change friend!
Lets compare their 2 most recent games. Death Stranding vs The Last of Us: Part II :messenger_tears_of_joy: Not exactly a fair fight.

One is a walking simulator with a nonsensical, pretentious, fake deep and idiotic story with literally zero combat/gameplay. Overhyped because its Kojima.

The other is a masterclass in combat, really and truly the best combat in gaming, has world class animations, the best visuals of the past generation, a story that dared to try something new, got people talking (probably is the most talked about story ever in a game), is brutal, dark, menacing, and gritty. And again because its so important, has the best combat in gaming.

I guarantee if Neil made a game where you fucking walked as the gameplay loop, he would have received death threats.

Last edited:
I just hope he eats his ego and doesn't force political agenda on the next game, just make it fun! Remember Uncharted 2 Mr Druckmann

midnightAI

Man, I wish Amy Hennig was still working at Naughty Dog.
Why? Has she done anything of note since leaving? (I mean there's Forspoken I suppose, but anything else? I know there's Rise of Hydra but we don't know much about that yet story wise)

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
Lets compare their 2 most recent games. Death Stranding vs The Last of Us: Part II :messenger_tears_of_joy: Not exactly a fair fight.

One is a walking simulator with a nonsensical, pretentious, fake deep and idiotic story with literally zero combat/gameplay. Overhyped because its Kojima.

The other is a masterclass in combat, really and truly the best combat in gaming, has world class animations, the best visuals of the past generation, a story that dared to try something new, got people talking (probably is the most talked about story ever in a game), is brutal, dark, menacing, and gritty. And again because its so important, has the best combat in gaming.

I guarantee if Neil made a game where you fucking walked as the gameplay loop, he would have received death threats.
Two games I actually love very much. DS is an impressive resource management game, that requires you to be competent in planning access and egress routes. Which in turn enables you to take advantage of the city building mechanics the game offers. Packaged in gorgeous environments and supplemented with an incredible soundtrack. Calling it a walking simulator understates its overall value. If you think the gameplay loop is just about going from point a to point b, you’ve misunderstood the game. I’ll also take Kojima’s political and social commentary over Druckmann’s moral virtue signalling as far as plot points go. As much as I love TLoU2, DS does far more in terms of game design that I find interesting.

HF8SXzX.gif

Not that I expected to see Naughty Dog at the upcoming Playstation event, but I think there is zero chance now. Druckmann wouldn't have said anything if they were preparing to show something
That's kind of my takeaway. While this all sounds intriguing, it's ND, I would have been day 1 for their next project no matter what. But it sounds like we won't get an official announcement soon, unfortunately.

However, it sounds like they arent going to announce it while the game is still years away. So even if announced later this year or 2025, hopefully it's out not too far from then.

Top Bottom