• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil Druckman says there are multiple singleplayer projects in the works at Naughty Dog

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Translation: upcoming single player games will be steeped in cringe, unnecessarily uglified characters... expect forced awkward "intimate" scenes... forced disproportionate amount of sexually deviant characters for no reason besides the Agenda...

Death to subtlety, death to fun.

At least the games will have pretty looking environments.

I have never seen his trash so accurately summed up. Well done!!!

its beautiful teh lurd of teh rings GIF

ssringo

Hope they aren't working on stuff in the same genre as other Sony studios. Would be a shame for that other studio.

semiconscious

Gold Member
ps3: 11/2006
ps4: 11/2013
ps5: 11/2020
ps6: 2027? that'd be a bit under 3 1/2 years from now. it's a good bet that sucker punch will be releasing the tsushima sequel in there somewhere, its single release this gen. will naughty dog be joining the 'single release' club?...

Last edited:
Of course there are, we likely already know about them. This new IP that's sci-fi or something, plus LoU Part 3. The new IP is hopefully before end of PS5 gen so they can get at least one new game out in 7-8 years. LoU I'm sure is targeting PS6 at this point.

Last edited:
ps3: 11/2006
ps4: 11/2013
ps5: 11/2020
ps6: 2027? that'd be a bit under 3 1/2 years from now. it's a good bet that sucker punch will be releasing the tsushima sequel in there somewhere, its single release this gen. will naughty dog be joining the 'single release' club?...
Ps5 pro releases this year, 4 years after ps4 released and halfway through thr consoles life cycle (Sony literally said this is the year PS4 hits its 2nd half) so my bet is ps6 in 2028.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
"Multiple single player games, all in one game. It's a novel concept I created, I'm calling it 'multiplayer'"

semiconscious

Gold Member
Ps5 pro releases this year, 4 years after ps4 released and halfway through thr consoles life cycle (Sony literally said this is the year PS4 hits its 2nd half) so my bet is ps6 in 2028.
well, when the only way you can get games out in the current gen is to delay the next gen a year beyond the previous 2, that's sorta telling you something right there, eh?...

also: the ps released in 12/1994, so 5 & a bit years before the ps2 released in 3/2000, which was just a few months under 7 years before ps3, so I should've actually said 'a year beyond all previous generations'...

Last edited:
well, when the only way you can get games out in the current gen is to delay the next gen a year beyond the previous 2, that's sorta telling you something right there, eh?...

also: the ps released in 12/1994, so 5 & a bit years before the ps2 released in 3/2000, which was just a few months under 7 years before ps3, so I should've actually said 'a year beyond all previous generations'...
There's literally no reason to have 5 year generations with the way graphics are evolving nowadays when compared to PSOne to Ps2 days. It makes no sense to release consoles so close to each other nowadays.

Imagine PS6 releasing next year. Why?

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
My suggestion as an expert is they just focus on one title and actually ship to completion.

Why can't they just release games in a timely manner? Naughty Dog do be really feeling like basking in the glory of their past achievements and single IP these days. I don't want more The Last of Us, I want something new.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
My suggestion as an expert is they just focus on one title and actually ship to completion.
Games just take too long to do that and it's not efficient. Minimum, you want to plan and have your next project ready to go while the asset creation and coding is underway for the other project. There's prototyping / writing, and then making it and they can be done largely separately or you're just wasting even more time.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Games just take too long to do that and it's not efficient. Minimum, you want to plan and have your next project ready to go while the asset creation and coding is underway for the other project. There's prototyping / writing, and then making it and they can be done largely separately or you're just wasting even more time.
When someone is done with their role on a project it makes sense to then place them on another project.

I doubt that’s what happens in this industry at a lot of studios. One day you’re working on assets for game A, then next on B. Then deadlines hit on both projects, crunch etc and it seems like spreading butter too thin.

I’d love to think I’m wrong and these companies are structured well in time management and making best use of a persons role but it’s just like any industry : overworked, underpaid, and run by ding dongs.

yurinka

When someone is done with their role on a project it makes sense to then place them on another project.

I doubt that’s what happens in this industry at a lot of studios. One day you’re working on assets for game A, then next on B. Then deadlines hit on both projects, crunch etc and it seems like spreading butter too thin.

I’d love to think I’m wrong and these companies are structured well in time management and making best use of a persons role but it’s just like any industry : overworked, underpaid, and run by ding dongs.
Yes, this is how it normally works: if the studio doesn't have other projects where the person can help once having done his job on the project, or if he can't move to a different position in the same project, they often support in projects of other studios (sometimes from the same company, sometimes an external one) until their next project is ready. If not, the person normally gets fired / his contractor job ends. They don't have people doing nothing during months or years.

As an example, we know that during decades Bend and ND helped each other supporting the other studio when had free people between projects.

In Ubisoft as another example their studios work in multiple games at the same time, and also help each other studio in a wider, studio way. And there are studios that like in ND and Bend case are used to frequently help each other. And even at personal level if you see that you'll end your job in the project and will be free and see an open job position for let's say 6 months or a year somewhere where you would like to go, you can ask to be moved there and then if you want to come back.

When I did work at Ubi there was one of our QA guys who did this, he moved to Ubi Milan (we didn't work with that studio before) to work in Mario x Rabbids during a year or so and then he came back.

Last edited:

semiconscious

Gold Member
There's literally no reason to have 5 year generations with the way graphics are evolving nowadays when compared to PSOne to Ps2 days. It makes no sense to release consoles so close to each other nowadays.

Imagine PS6 releasing next year. Why?
don't get me wrong - as a '1080p forever' gamer with little interest in graphics whatsoever, i'd personally still be happily using my ps4 if all the current gen games ran on it. all i'm doing is pointing out that the up-until-now traditional console gen model is changing to the point where a studio releasing a single game over the course of a gen is quite conceivable (eg, even with an additional 12 months, it's still quite possible that tsushima 2 will be sucker punch's only release this gen). however you look at it, this's quite a dramatic shift...

also: sony's in the console business, & pro model sales will never match base model sales. it's sony that likes/benefits from the 'new console every 7 years' paradigm, not me...

Last edited:
Top Bottom