• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video game miracles

Hey GAF, I wonder what you consider video game miracles. Thread is open to interpretation so whether its about the industry itself, a heroic video game feat, or something else, list away your favorite video game miracles!

Here are a few of mine:

-Sonic Mania existing
-That time I beat a boss in Metroid Prime 2 by abusing the areas that slowly regenerate your health to heal enough to beat the boss I was on
-RE1.5 40% PVB leaked online

ParaSeoul

JsS6k_90_400x400.jpg

Hey GAF, I wonder what you consider video game miracles. Thread is open to interpretation so whether its about the industry itself, a heroic video game feat, or something else, list away your favorite video game miracles!

Here are a few of mine:

-Sonic Mania existing
-That time I beat a boss in Metroid Prime 2 by abusing the areas that slowly regenerate your health to heal enough to beat the boss I was on
Only miracle is Evo Moment 37.

ParaSeoul

Crysis.

It still looks better than most current games in some ways. And that after almost 15(!) years.

Vegetation physics, for example, are still unmatched. Hell, some games, like CoD, don't even have one.

Isn't far cry 6 not considered to be particularly good looking

iHaunter

Here are a few of mine:

-Sonic Mania existing
Nier: Automata being as good as it was. It became a classic almost immediately IMHO. I played replicant and really didn't like it. wasn't a huge fan of the other Yoko Taro games. But this one just really hit different. I still listen to the music in this game on a daily basis, years after platinuming it.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Doom.

How are we this many posts in any nobody posts Doom? It's fucking magic. That game existed years before anyone else could or should have made it and it runs on fucking pregnancy tests.

ParaSeoul

Nier: Automata being as good as it was. It became a classic almost immediately IMHO. I played replicant and really didn't like it. wasn't a huge fan of the other Yoko Taro games. But this one just really hit different. I still listen to the music in this game on a daily basis, years after platinuming it.
Automata is probably the least Yoko Taro games hes made,still a great game with an amazing soundtrack,also got the plat for it.

Doom.

How are we this many posts in any nobody posts Doom? It's fucking magic. That game existed years before anyone else could or should have made it and it runs on fucking pregnancy tests.
It was also made by a bunch of nerds on a lake cabin taking inspiration (or outright copying) things from D&D and metal songs.

Most soulful product to ever be developed.

stranno

Regarding to leaks:

HotGen's Resident Evil for Game Boy Color. After finishing it.. what the F were they thinking to not release it? It is an incredible port, Resident Evil Gaiden is a complete joke compared to it.
Red Dead Revolver's Capcom Build. To be honest I never imagined I could play it. But there are still, at least, two builds left.
Alien Resurrection's Third Person Builds. The E3 1999 demo, pretty amazing.
Argonaut's SWAT II and Roll Call Builds. The beginning of Urban Chaos: Riot Response. Didn't even know it was an Argonaut game to begin with.
Castlevania Resurrections. The most disappointing game of all, but it was great to experience it.

These latest years have been a blast for cancelled games.

Regarding to retail games:

XIII Remake. It wasn't terrible, but definitely unnecessary. If you are not going to complete the story, why bother?
deBlob 1 port. There wasn't any news about them and THQ was like: Oh, btw, we have silently published the long awaited port of the first game to other platforms. Unfortunately it wasn't a great port, it had many issues with the sound and videos (idk if they have been fixed).
Destroy All Humans! 1/2 Remakes. F YES!

Last edited:
PC gaming's turnaround from it's dreadful state in 2006 to what it is today. All praise GabeN.

Fallout Van Buren being leaked.

Halo Infinite not being shit.

Skyrim VR. Never in my life did I think Bethesda would port a complex game like Skyrim to VR but they did. Best VR experience there is.

The fact that Six Days in Fallujah is back in production after being cancelled over 10 years ago. I literally screamed and cried at the re-announcement this year. Simply unbelievable.

Romulus

Hitman VR. Controls are wonky on psvr but that game looks amazing for the hardware. Can't wait for the pcvr version.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Doom.

You know it, baby

- Quake 1/2/3. Real 3D first person? Mods that are relevant 20 years later and on? Rules for arena shooting? Yep
- Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time are a landmark of 3D gaming and there's no denying about that
- GoldenEye 64, a game that changed direction, they didn't have money, and they did it anyway
- Bayonetta 2, because Nintendo said "fuck it, we want this shit and we have money for it"
- the Dreamcast, because Sega knew that were dead, but they wanted to die in blazes of glory
- Splinter Cell 3 on Xbox
- a guy made Undertale, another made Stardew Valley, and another Cave Story, They're all awesome
- REmake 2 and Halo Infinite, because sometimes the community is heard, and chances are that is for the best

fart town usa

Gold Member
Off the top of my head, I'd say the OG Resident Evil 2.

The first version was like 70% done and then they scrapped it and went on to create literally one of the best games of all time.

All within less than 2 years development time. RE first released on the PSX March 22 1996 in Japan, RE2 first released on the PSX January 21st 1998 in NA. That's fucking insane! lol.

Also, Angel Studios and their RE2 port for the N64. Just absolutely stunning.

Quake on the Sega Saturn, it's a great port and simply shouldn't exist considering the Saturn's hardware. Lobotomy Software were absolute wizards, such a shame they weren't able to stick around.

Oh yea, Panzer Dragoon Saga, another game that shouldn't exist but does because of sheer ingenuity and passion.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member

Here are a few of mine:

-Sonic Mania existing
Have you played RE 1.5? It's pretty cool, I haven't tried it since the most recent 12/25/2020 update but plan on doing so at some point. Wonder if there will be another update this year?

Here's the creator's thread where he occasionally posts updates.
RESIDENT EVIL Modification • View topic - Biohazard 1.5 (MZD) Hacks (NEW UPDATE!) (re123.bplaced.net)

Saber

Gold Member
Something like Doom for Snes/32x and Quake for Saturn. For me, those are a feat almost impossible, specifically at their time. They didn't run that well though, but it was impressive.

Last edited:
Have you played RE 1.5? It's pretty cool, I haven't tried it since the most recent 12/25/2020 update but plan on doing so at some point. Wonder if there will be another update this year?

Here's the creator's thread where he occasionally posts updates.
RESIDENT EVIL Modification • View topic - Biohazard 1.5 (MZD) Hacks (NEW UPDATE!) (re123.bplaced.net)
When I play 1.5 its usually the PVB, 40% complete but haven't touched MZD in a long time...seeing that link you posted will be a great way to replay MZD later!

Top Bottom