• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video game miracles

Soodanim

Off the top of my head, I'd say the OG Resident Evil 2.

The first version was like 70% done and then they scrapped it and went on to create literally one of the best games of all time.

All within less than 2 years development time. RE first released on the PSX March 22 1996 in Japan, RE2 first released on the PSX January 21st 1998 in NA. That's fucking insane! lol.

Also, Angel Studios and their RE2 port for the N64. Just absolutely stunning.

Quake on the Sega Saturn, it's a great port and simply shouldn't exist considering the Saturn's hardware. Lobotomy Software were absolute wizards, such a shame they weren't able to stick around.

Oh yea, Panzer Dragoon Saga, another game that shouldn't exist but does because of sheer ingenuity and passion.
RE2 does have a couple miracles attached to it now you mention it, the N64 port happening feels like the biggest one though.

When I played the GC port of RE2 and found a new mode I'd never even heard of. In my favourite game of the series. That felt like a miracle to get more of what I enjoyed. Thank you, Ex Battle Mode.

It only took The Zelda team a little over a year to come out with Majora's Mask right after coming out with Ocarina of Time. Two of the best Zelda games ever back-to-back. My opinion, of course.

Now we have to wait 5++ years for them to do the same thing with Breath of the Wild. My pain is immeasurable.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Metroid Prime. Nintendo handing a cult series to a western developer to transition the series to 3D after skipping a whole hardware generation, and shifting from 2D sidescrolling to first person. The background of the game is incredible already, that the game turned out like it did and spawned such an amazing trilogy is a true miracle.

Tetris. The most technically simple game imaginable, created in Soviet Russia of all places, is arguably the quintessential video game and possibly the farthest-reaching game in history.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Any time a game with troubled development manages to release, it's a miracle.

Even games as bad as Duke Nukem Forever .. the shit came out one way or another.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I beat Goldeneye on 00 agent, even that poxy train level where you had to shoot matey in the head at the end.

Then I was a mong and sold it to Cash converters, then realised my error. I was gutted!

Could never do it again.

Banned
•Yacht Club releasing Shovel Knight and not adapting all the bad gamedesign shit of recent times, like tutorials that seem like the developers think their players have an IQ below 70

•Halo going back to the old artstyle and completely retconning the H4 and 5 style like it never existed

•Mirror's Edge Catalyst releasing and actually being really good

•Doom 2016 (I think this one needs no explanation)

•Devil May Cry 5... even tho I think it's not even close to DMC3 and has a ton of issues

RoadHazard

Gold Member
For me it was definitely seeing SM64 running at a demo kiosk for the first time. My 11-year-old mind (I think that's how old I was) was completely blown. I had seen polygonal graphics before, but this was something different. It looked like magic.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
The Mega Drive/Genesis port of Duke Nukem 3D that released in Brazil. Sure, it's ugly as sin, plays like ass and runs like shit. But the whole idea that someone were crazy enough to do it, and even pull it off with the MD/Gen's old ass hardware, now that's a goddamn gaming miracle.

-Streets of Rage 4
-Splatterhouse 2010
-Bad taste in games people has nowdays (imo) and how companies become millionaire with stupid games because of them.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
Tekken
Tekken 2
Tekken 3
Tekken Tag Tournament
Tekken Card Challenge
Tekken 4
Tekken Advance
Tekken 5
Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection
Death by Degrees
Tekken 6
Tekken 6: Bloodline Rebellion
Tekken Hybrid
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Tekken 3D: Prime Edition
Street Fighter X Tekken
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Unlimited
Tekken Card Tournament
Tekken Revolution
Tekken Arena
Galaga: TEKKEN Edition
Tekken 7
Tekken 7: Fated Retribution
Tekken (Mobile)

ManaByte

• The Smash Bros. franchise existing. Nintendo of America passed on the N64 original and wasn't going to localize it. Peer and Matt at IGN convinced them to change their minds.
  • Everything Lobotomy Software did with the Saturn hardware.
  • Bungie turning Halo from a 10fps slideshow at E3 2001 to what it launched as that November.
  • John Carmack.

Banned
  • The Smash Bros. franchise existing. Nintendo of America passed on the N64 original and wasn't going to localize it. Peer and Matt at IGN convinced them to change their

NoA had a lot of absolutely bad decisions in the 80s and 90s. wasn't pokemon almost in the same position?

they also were intelligent enough to tell Nintendo Japan that the SMB2 they made was pure dogshit and that they will need an actually good SMB2 to market in the west, so they had their moments lol

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
Neo-Geo-AES-Console-Set_1024x1024.png

This for even existing and being successful enough to have one of the longest lifespans of a console. Virtually no 3rd party support, limited distribution and insanely expensive software.

Then it gave us this.

svc-chaos-fullselect.png

Super smash bros
Mario 64
Sega leaving console market
Sony entering the console market
Microsoft entering the console market
Xbox Live
Nintendo Switch

I'm sure there are plenty, but that's off the top of my head.

Deerock71

Any time a game with troubled development manages to release, it's a miracle.

Even games as bad as Duke Nukem Forever .. the shit came out one way or another.
For that matter, I guess Devil's Third ever seeing the light of day was somewhat miraculous. Switch3r and Metroid Dread are also miracles.

Cryio

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory being possible on original Xbox
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater being possible on PS2
Resident Evil 4 being possible on GameCube or PS2

The fact they mostly managed Crysis 1 on PS3/X360, even if barely
Grand Theft Auto V is a technical marvel for X360/PS3
The Last of Us for PS3
The Witcher 2 being possible on X360
Gears of War 3 Per object motion blur on a X360 title? Lol
Uncharted 2: the train level
Crysis 3: Screen space reflections on 7th gen consoles? Lol
Devil May Cry 4: It's 2008, early 7th gen lifecycle still, and here we have a game with amazing "next-gen" visuals (for the time), locked 720p and unwavering 60 fps gameplay (mostly). Most titles this gen couldn't do 720p, let alone consistent 30 fps.
Dead Space 2: aside from 1 fade-out, 99% of the game is ONE-LONG-UNINTRERUPTED-CUT. God of War 2018 IS NOTHING besides Dead Space 2. Even the UI/MENUs are integrated real-time and naturally in Dead Space. In God of War, they are not.

The fact we ever got to witness The Witcher becoming a trilogy, given the low budget, small studio, incredibly eurojank feel of the 1st game.

Batman Arkham Knight feels like a game out of time. You know when you watch Akira, the movie, and you simply FEEL the budget burning at certain animations that are considered "3s" (extremely smooth motion)? That's how Arkham Knight feels at all times. Animations, transitions, camera zooms and pans, the city, the water, the rain, the physics.

For lolz: Ray traced reflections being possible on Xbox One X and PS4 Pro with Crysis 1 Remastered. Crytek are insane.

Last edited:

Romulus

Alien Isolation. The game has such a simple premise but just works insanely well. And after all those years finally got a good alien game. Fireteam is ok at least too, but nowhere near the standout of Isolation.

Doom SNES is also pretty crazy, even though it looks like shit. Just the attempt alone was insane and it got more maps and monsters than any other version up until the ps1 version.

Microsoft buying Activision Blizzard. No contest.

As for games DOOM Eternal, Animal Crossing New Horizons, FF 7 Remake and HL Alyx coming out all in same year and month.

Last edited:
Top Bottom