• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Raving Deluxe officially dethroned as best 32X game

By this game:

vf.jpg

I always dismissed it as inferior to the Saturn version, but aside from the fewer polys, it's actually a solid conversion. Plays at the same frame rate and I can not really tell any difference with the way it plays. In other words, it's great. Even the FM tunes have a strange appeal to them, in contrast to the CD arranged soundtrack of the Saturn version. There is also the addition of different camera modes, but that feature is rather useless.

Now this is in contrast to VR Deluxe, which though better graphically to the Genny conversion, was not really that much closer to the arcade original. VR Deluxe was still great fun though and proved to be one of the few shining beacons in the 32X's short lifespan.

1182.png

What is a shame is this game just came out too late. Saturn was out (along with VF1) and Sega had already abandoned the 32X and there just seemed to be no point. Space Harrier and After Burner also seemed to be convertions with little purpose.

Over a decade later, which consoles and conversions came out when does not matter anymore so VF 32X can now shine a little bit. :)

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
youre totally late to the party

most people have been saying the 32x VF is better than the saturn for years.

goodcow

Semi-related, I was browsing eBay and was shocked at some of the 32X game prices.

$60 for Knuckles Chatoix
$28 for Space Harrier
etc.

Granted, they were complete and basically mint, but I have 85% of all the 32X games in the same manner, only I got them for like $10 each.

sp0rsk said:
youre totally late to the party

most people have been saying the 32x VF is better than the saturn for years.

But I'm not saying that. Only that it's fine port, more so than VR (Deluxe).

I would still choose VF Saturn over the 32X version. :D

goodcow said:
Semi-related, I was browsing eBay and was shocked at some of the 32X game prices.

$60 for Knuckles Chatoix
$28 for Space Harrier
etc.

Granted, they were complete and basically mint, but I have 85% of all the 32X games in the same manner, only I got them for like $10 each.

There's a lot of Knuckles Chaotix fans online. A bit surprising because the game seemed like a broken Sonic without even Sonic in it. Cool soundtrack though.

Rlan

It's more Sonic collectors in general rather than fans of the game. You'll see G-Sonic [Japanese version of Sonic Blast on the Game Gear, worst Sonic game ever] go for a good 100US. I'm a Sonic collector, but I'm also very stingy and will only get the bargins I can. Meanwhile, a good friend of mine over in the UK seems to have shitloads of cash, and would spend bucketloads for crazy stuff [Like the Megadrive + 32X + Chaotix UK bundle package = 200 pound. FFS!]

It doesn't help that all 32X games used those god damn cardboard boxes. It's almost impossible to get a excellent condition PAL Sonic & Knuckles due to the shittyness of the packaging. I know I stupidly covered mine with clear contact when I was younger :p

jgkspsx

God Chaotix sucked. I wouldn't buy it even complete for more than $10, and that would just be a curio. It really is a totally broken game and it amazes me that they released it. The Genesis prototype Sonic and Tails it was based on was just as broken -- you'd think someone would say, "Hey, this sucks, let's drop it."

Then again, Sonic Heroes feels sort of like the 3D continuation of Chaotix, so, well, there you have it.

Oh, and, uh, back on topic: I still prefer 32X VF1 to Saturn VF1 or VFRemix. It just feels more "right." Ditto with Virtua Racing Deluxe vs. the Saturn one.

jgkspsx said:
God Chaotix sucked. -- you'd think someone would say, "Hey, this sucks, let's drop it."

It's probably what they did until the 32X project came along and they needed to come up with software for it. Tempo, also felt like an experimental Genny game, with a quick 32X makeover on it.

Top Bottom