• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Volcano erupts in Iceland, hundreds evacuated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peru

This event could be the premise for so many movies in so many genres!

Romantic comedy: Two 30-somethings from different parts of the world are stuck in an airport, watching the volcano on tv... and find themselves spending their free time together in... Paris/Rome/London/etc..

Romantic comedy: New Jersey locals Bob and Mary are getting married next weekend. The problem? Bob is on a business trip to Europe when the ash cloud stops his plans of return, only days before the big event. Now he'll have to use any transportation means possible to make it back in time, on his wildest road trip yet!!!

Monster movie: When a military aircraft flies towards the ash cloud to test for safety, they find that a gruesome monster from the earth's core now hovers in the sky, hidden behind thunder and smoke.

Disaster movie: An airplane on its way across Asia is caught off guard when, suddenly, wind has driven the ash cloud to unforeseen new territory. When glass material enters the plane's engines, one bumpy ride lies ahead for the poor sods inside.

etc. etc.

Google

We had 600 people at a conference in Berlin, and all 600 need to find a way home, either back to England, or through England and back to North America.

I decided to just buy a train ticket to Koln, then to Brussels, and currently have a ticket on Eurostar for tomorrow morning.

I'm some 900E out of pocket, but at least I'll be able to wear a clean pair of underwear tomorrow.

The amount of stress this type of thing causes is almost unreal. Thousands of people genuinely having no idea how they're going to get home is really quite scary.

pestul

How long would this have to persist before it had very serious effects on the economies of europe? They're in rough shape now as it is.. but would some be up shit creek in only 1-2 weeks of this?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
pestul said:
How long would this have to persist before it had very serious effects on the economies of europe? They're in rough shape now as it is.. but would some be up shit creek in only 1-2 weeks of this?

Well imagine the impact on anything that is shipped by air. Imagine the impact on tourism. Etc. etc. etc.

I am supposed to leave for southern Europe in a week, but I have a transfer in Munich first.... FUCK

THE:MILKMAN

gofreak said:
2 people reported killed in a light aircraft crash in England :( No indication it's ash related, but the question is why they were up there anyway with airspace closed.

The bbc article quotes the CAA has only "strongly advised not to fly" for private aircraft.

Which is daft TBH..........

Majmun

So, my mom is trapped in Turkey and could't come back today. ( to Holland)
They're saying that this could go on until wednesday. :S
Good thing she has a place to stay until this clears up. Poor tourists who have to pay for the Hotel costs.

faridmon

jepense said:
No I didn't. I speak Swedish (which is somewhat related to Icelandic) and have been to Iceland... The name doesn't even have their special characters eth and thorn. :lol
Tip: The volcano is named Eyjafjöll (edit: Eyja is probably just a name, and guessing from Swedish, fjöll should be 'mount') and jökull is glacier.
I don't bellieve you. I am Norwegian and Icelandic/Finnish names give me headache.

jepense

pestul said:
The direct hit on airlines is estimated around 200 M€ a day. Hotels and other transports are netting now, but this will hit tourism if it goes on.
The hit on other businesses due to cut airmail of spare parts and products is not limited to Europe, but to all who trade with European partners. And then there are the thousands of people stranded who can't get to work for the time being. I read somewhere that these losses are supposedly quite small for now, but could well escalate if the disruption lasts for weeks.

faridmon said:
I don't bellieve you. I am Norwegian and Icelandic/Finnish names give me headache.
But I'm a Finn :lol (Finnish is nothing like Icelandic, but we do have huge combo words as well.)

And thus the era of commuter ships began anew. Express service to NYC on the queen mary 2 anyone? I wonder if we'll see stuff like that if the volcano keeps at it for a few weeks.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm gonna have to check with my airline company. There might be other ways to get to southern Europe. This SUCKS.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Arcipello said:
none of these live stream webcams people have posted work for me at all, the pages and streams seem to be dead :(
They are getting hammered, too much people

There are some signs, that eruption could cease abit.

I'm on a boat (I'm on a boat)
Everybody look at me 'cause I'm sailing on a boat (sailing on a boat)
I'm on a boat
Take a good hard look at the motherfucking boat (boat, yeah)

faridmon

jepense said:
The direct hit on airlines is estimated around 200 M€ a day. Hotels and other transports are netting now, but this will hit tourism if it goes on.
The hit on other businesses due to cut airmail of spare parts and products is not limited to Europe, but to all who trade with European partners. And then there are the thousands of people stranded who can't get to work for the time being. I read somewhere that these losses are supposedly quite small for now, but could well escalate if the disruption lasts for weeks.

But I'm a Finn :lol (Finnish is nothing like Icelandic, but we do have huge combo words as well.)
right:lol , finn has the most complex names ever apart from iclandic :lol ,
we have a pretty huge combination of words but its all about bnreaking it down: Oslo Handlesgymnasium is Oslo Hanldles-gym-nasium.

Finnish seems unbreakable

Ruuppa

My aunt is stuck in Amsterdam and I'm stuck with her dog, so next week will be fun for both me and the mutt.

Wouldn't it be great if the eruption would last for a year, like the previous one in 1800's? We'd cut a lot of airplane emissions that way! Think Green, Thank Volcanoes!

faridmon said:
Finnish seems unbreakable
And submerging it in water does nothing, either.

rezuth

Ruuppa said:
My aunt is stuck in Amsterdam and I'm stuck with her dog, so next week will be fun for both me and the mutt.

Wouldn't it be great if the eruption would last for a year, like the previous one in 1800's? We'd cut a lot of airplane emissions that way! Think Green, Thank Volcanoes!

And submerging it in water does nothing, either.
Not only that but the ash clouds keep the earth cool.

Meadows

Banned
I'm looking at this in a positive way:

- Scientists get to do some cool experiments
- Nice blue sky without any imperfections
- Money comes out of bloated airline industry
- Money goes into underfunded train/ferry industry
- 200,000 tonnes of CO2 less in the UK atmosphere per day

Does suck for people that are stuck though :(

taylor910

Are flights going from the U.S. to the U.K.? I couldn't find any specific details on this and have a family member flying (hopefully) to England on Wednesday.

pestul

taylor910 said:
Are flights going from the U.S. to the U.K.? I couldn't find any specific details on this and have a family member flying (hopefully) to England on Wednesday.
No. But maybe by then they will be..

Wes

venison crêpe
taylor910 said:

No flights in or out of most of Europe pretty much for the moment. By Wednesday? Who knows.

okno

faridmon said:

Whatever, man, you Norwegies sound funny.

Fun fact: Icelandic is the old Norwegian tongue, which is also what the vikings spoke. Yarr, I be viking.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Meadows said:
I'm looking at this in a positive way:

- Scientists get to do some cool experiments
- Nice blue sky without any imperfections
- Money comes out of bloated airline industry
- Money goes into underfunded train/ferry industry
- 200,000 tonnes of CO2 less in the UK atmosphere per day

Does suck for people that are stuck though :(

Are you people crazy? A volcano is MUCH WORST for the environment.

faridmon

okno said:
Whatever, man, you Norwegies sound funny.

Fun fact: Icelandic is the old Norwegian tongue, which is also what the vikings spoke. Yarr, I be viking.
That i can't disagree.

just listen to Peter Solberg talking in English :lol

I don't mean to be callous to all of the people affected by this, but it's a fascinating thing to witness, even over the internet. I've been lurking this thread and figured I'd extend my empathy and condolences to those stuck away from home or loved ones, and thanks to all of those keeping everyone updated.

Meadows

Banned
Ether_Snake said:

Yeah, but at least the UK might reach some climate targets :lol

MUCH WORST is the catchphrase of forever btw

Reno7728

taylor910 said:
So is the ash covering everything? Any first-hand accounts?

Hell, despite my journey home taking 2 days longer than it should have to get home the lovely, plane contrail free blue sky is lovely, and despite reports of ash falls in the Thames valley, i could never tell there was even an eruption or any ash without the coverage and travel chaos

pestul

Ether_Snake said:
Well, for poisons yes, but for CO2 no.

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/hazards/gas/index.php
Comparison of CO2 emissions from volcanoes vs. human activities.
Scientists have calculated that volcanoes emit between about 130-230 million tonnes (145-255 million tons) of CO2 into the atmosphere every year (Gerlach, 1991). This estimate includes both subaerial and submarine volcanoes, about in equal amounts. Emissions of CO2 by human activities, including fossil fuel burning, cement production, and gas flaring, amount to about 27 billion tonnes per year (30 billion tons) [ ( Marland, et al., 2006) - The reference gives the amount of released carbon (C), rather than CO2, through 2003.]. Human activities release more than 130 times the amount of CO2 emitted by volcanoes--the equivalent of more than 8,000 additional volcanoes like Kilauea (Kilauea emits about 3.3 million tonnes/year)! (Gerlach et. al., 2002)

jepense

sw33tclyde said:
I don't mean to be callous to all of the people affected by this, but it's a fascinating thing to witness, even over the internet. I've been lurking this thread and figured I'd extend my empathy and condolences to those stuck away from home or loved ones, and thanks to all of those keeping everyone updated.
Oh it definitely is intriguing and humbling, awesome and horrible at the same time.

WingM@n

There is a new and bigger ash cloud coming to europe according to the University of Cologne.

http://www.eurad.uni-koeln.de/

pm10_eur_1h_movd2.gif

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Looks like eruption is not so powerful anymore, but we said the same yesterday and we were wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom