• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Volcano erupts in Iceland, hundreds evacuated

Status
Not open for further replies.
jepense said:
Oh it definitely is intriguing and humbling, awesome and horrible at the same time.

Certainly. I've gained a new respect for mother nature, despite having seen tv specials and docudramas about the power of volcanoes, it takes an event such as this to truly understand how completely helpless we are to her whims.

I recently watched a special on the earthquake swarm that happened in Reno, NV, USA during 2008, which to my understanding the geologists still aren't sure of the consequences or cause of. Amazing how unpredictable nature is, despite all of our instruments and data.

PJV3

When they say this volcano is linked to the bigger Katla volcano, what is the time frame?.
Is it weeks or months between them erupting?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
PJV3 said:
When they say this volcano is linked to the bigger Katla volcano, what is the time frame?.
Is it weeks or months between them erupting?
One to two years. There are several other volcanoes on Iceland that should erupt in next two years.

And Katla is much much much more active volcano, eruptions on 10, 30 or 100 years. And we are now in 10th year of his/her sleep. If we compare it with Eyjafjallajokull, this is only 4th confirmed eruption, Katla had atleast 100 or more eruptions. Insert volcano name here and check it out.

@Ether_Snake: no direct feeds, only several Webcams (F5 party) and even more webcams. Night is falling on Iceland right now, so it is possible to see lightning inside ash plum :D

linkboy

sw33tclyde said:
Certainly. I've gained a new respect for mother nature, despite having seen tv specials and docudramas about the power of volcanoes, it takes an event such as this to truly understand how completely helpless we are to her whims.

I recently watched a special on the earthquake swarm that happened in Reno, NV, USA during 2008, which to my understanding the geologists still aren't sure of the consequences or cause of. Amazing how unpredictable nature is, despite all of our instruments and data.

My parents live about 80 miles from Reno, that area is way past due for a quake.

The big one in the US though is Yellowstone. Earthquakes seem to the be trigger for that. That volcano erupts and most of the Western US fells it (hell, pretty much the whole world will feel it).

volcano_lg.jpg

jepense

linkboy said:
The big one in the US though is Yellowstone. Earthquakes seem to the be trigger for that. That volcano erupts and most of the Western US fells it (hell, pretty much the whole world will feel it).
Yellowstone is a supervolcano and it exploding will be a global cataclysm. This is tiny compared to that.

linkboy

jepense said:
Yellowstone is a supervolcano and it exploding will be a global cataclysm. This is tiny compared to that.

I know that (I live 6 hours from the park, I'm dead if it blows). I was commenting about the guy talking about the earthquakes in Reno (where my parents live).

jepense

linkboy said:
I know that (I live 6 hours from the park, I'm dead if it blows). I was commenting about the guy talking about the earthquakes in Reno (where my parents live).
I know you know. Just chatting for the sake of conversation. But I should call it a day.

linkboy said:
My parents live about 80 miles from Reno, that area is way past due for a quake.

volcano_lg.jpg

I know about Yellowstone.. I just try to push it from my mind as worrying about it is tantamount to worrying about a meteorite hitting the US, as we'll be fucked either way. Carpe diem boys.

jepense said:
I know you know. Just chatting for the sake of conversation. But I should call it a day.

What time is it over there? Midnight-ish?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
WHY DONT YOU JUST FLY ABOVE THE VOLCANO EUROPE!! ARGH

DrM

Redmond's Baby
There was insane lightning action this night, can't wait for pics.

And some earthquakes spotted around Katla....

syllogism

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines says it has already carried out a test flight from Amsterdam to Dusseldorf and plans eight more throughout the day.

Simon Calder, travel editor of the UK newspaper the Independent, says the airline Ukraine International is planning to resume flights at 1000 BST as they believe "the skies are safe". They have reportedly carried out a test flight and are happy with the results.

He adds: "I got a call from somebody, a very senior figure in the British travel industry - saying the only time aircraft have actually suffered is when they've basically flown right through a volcanic plume as the volcano was erupting."
If the situation doesn't get better in a few days I'd expect some other airlines to follow. I don't really see how a few test flights are going to be indicative of anything, however. Obviously, the airlines that aren't in good state financially will be the most eager ones.

e: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jh7lQ-qBxQMPzPd3Iap7_s3YDBfQD9F5BV800

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom