• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Volcano erupts in Iceland, hundreds evacuated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chittagong

Gold Member
F***, I'm stuck in Finland with no way out of this god forsaken country and back to UK until Sunday at the very least. Getting ridiculously drunk is a fairly likely course of action.

Chittagong said:
F***, I'm stuck in Finland with no way out of this god forsaken country and back to UK until Sunday at the very least. Getting ridiculously drunk is a fairly likely course of action.

I pray for your wallet :lol

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
cloudwalking said:
i'm doing cork > amsterdam > zürich. cork is open... for now. amsterdam is the problem it seems. zürich never closed yet. so perhaps i can reroute my flight from cork somehow, but i don't know. it's such a small airport. and i don't want to just leave and then and up and have to get stuck in amsterdam.

dutch news at nos.nl from around 2 hours ago says

roughly...

airspace currently closed due to ash, how long it lasts is still not clear

KLM and transavia have cancelled all incoming and outgoing flights. KLM will keep all planes on the ground definitely until 2pm and Transavia will fly again at the earliest 4pm.

source

Het Nederlandse luchtruim blijft voorlopig gesloten vanwege de aswolk uit IJsland. Hoe lang dat het geval blijft, is nog onduidelijk.

Uit voorzorg hebben de KLM en Transavia alle uitgaande en inkomende vluchten geannuleerd. De KLM houdt zijn vliegtuigen tot zeker 14.00 uur aan de grond, Transavia zal op z'n vroegst om 16.00 uur weer vliegen.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
UK flight ban extended to 1am Sat.

Flights within Scotland and between Ireland and Scotland may be allowed re-open after 7pm.

Next update at 1.30pm. They say 'the situation is dynamic and subject to change'.

http://www.nats.co.uk/

I think the Netherlands is meant to update their advisory later this morning. That'll probably make or break your travel ambitions today cloudwalking.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Ash plum is 'only' 6 kilometers high today. But some volcanologists are suggesting that this could be so called 'calm' phase of eruption.

I found this blog, several volcanologists from Iceland are posting comments there.

Austria will also close airspace today.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The worst part is the rolling aspect. Makes it difficult to go 'fuck it, ill go somewhere today' in case you get a sudden call from the airline

I'm supposed to be flying to Finland on Monday but Even if the flight goes ahead I don't fancy it in case the eruption gets worse again, or that other volcano blows.

This volcano made a cloud so big, that air traffic has been shut down over europe since yesterday.

I going to Tokyo in 9 hours, THEY BETTER BE MAKING PLANES FLIGH AGAIN

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Lithuania closed airspace this morning, Czech Republic closed nothern part of their airspace.

According to some radar images, there are now three craters and it looks like devil's face
gigur_eyjafjallajokuls_tf-sif_15april2010.jpg

Also, some rivers on the other side of this glacier are turning muddy

mrklaw said:
The worst part is the rolling aspect. Makes it difficult to go 'fuck it, ill go somewhere today' in case you get a sudden call from the airline

I'm supposed to be flying to Finland on Monday but Even if the flight goes ahead I don't fancy it in case the eruption gets worse again, or that other volcano blows.

Yeah, don't know if I still want to go to New York right now. Don't want to get stuck there in case the volcano keeps spewing ash clouds.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Irish airspace is open again...however it sounds like really only America-bound flights will be able to go.

They're also concerned changing weather patterns could bring the ash back here over the weekend if the volcano keeps erupting.

GasProblem said:
Yeah, don't know if I still want to go to New York right now. Don't want to get stuck there in case the volcano keeps spewing ash clouds.

Can't help but laugh at your AV in relation to this topic.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
UnluckyKate said:
This volcano made a cloud so big, that air traffic has been shut down over europe since yesterday.

I going to Tokyo in 9 hours, THEY BETTER BE MAKING PLANES FLIGH AGAIN

no you aren't :/

mrklaw

MrArseFace
fuck. So my wife's flight has been fully cancelled (was previously massively delayed). Now she has to rebook but of course is competing with the other cancelled flights and other scheduled passengers. Earliest flight is 26th April :(

Not looking forward to telling her..

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Subliminal said:
whats the chance that it will start snowing ash in the south of england?

Low I'd imagine. Pressure is high. If there was a low pressure or it started raining you might get some deposits while the ash is overhead (though they'd probably be very thin).

gofreak said:
Low I'd imagine. Pressure is high. If there was a low pressure or it started raining you might get some deposits while the ash is overhead (though they'd probably be very thin).

:( that's no fun

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Also, might be relevant to cloudwalking, although they're probably already aware:

A spokesman for Cork Airport has said that while the airport remains operational, no flights are due to arrive or leave there today because of the closure of airspace and airports elsewhere.

Airspace over Cork is also expected to be restricted later today as the plume of volcanic ash moves over the south of the country.

:| Hope you get out of there sometime soon cloudwalking.

jepense

Weird that there is so little discussion about this considering it is one of the most important events of the year so far (even though the effects are mostly in Europe). Also, the thread title doesn't really fit anymore...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
jepense said:
Weird that there is so little discussion about this considering it is one of the most important events of the year so far (even though the effects are mostly in Europe). Also, the thread title doesn't really fit anymore...

Yeah, the thread title I think is leaving many non-euros out of the loop :p

Just watching the weather forecast - could be pretty touch-and-go for UK/Ireland over the weekend. If the forecast panned out and the volcano keeps erupting it wouldn't be very good for these areas...a direct airflow from Iceland is forecast to swing much closer to the british isles in that time.

gofreak said:
Yeah, the thread title I think is leaving many non-euros out of the loop :p

Just watching the weather forecast - could be pretty touch-and-go for UK/Ireland over the weekend. If the forecast panned out and the volcano keeps erupting it wouldn't be very good for these areas...a direct airflow from Iceland is forecast to swing much closer to the british isles in that time.

This thread will start getting busy when the wind begins blowing to the US coast.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is it stupid to even consider alternative routes? Surprised the airlines aren't trying that.

eg flying into southern europe? From there you could get a train to the rest of europe. I'm looking at 10 days until my family are back with me now, they'll be missing school and everything

gofreak said:
Paris is opening 3 airports for landings only in a four hour window this afternoon.

http://www.etaiwannews.com/etn/news_content.php?id=1229050&lang=eng_news

Kind of sounds like they're trying to accommodate the return of stranded passengers from routes that can avoid the dust (i.e. probably ones coming from the south).

that doesn't sound that safe? How can the air be clear for four hours, but not clear afterwards? I thought the ash was difficult to track that accurately? Although understandable about bringing people home at least

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
mrklaw said:
that doesn't sound that safe? How can the air be clear for four hours, but not clear afterwards? I thought the ash was difficult to track that accurately? Although understandable about bringing people home at least

Yeah, I'm not sure how that works... but I'm guessing it's to accommodate specific inbound flights given that it's landings only for a specific window of time. I guess they have particular flights in mind and they've worked out safe routes...but...yeah...I might be a little tense if I was on one of those.

edit - Manchester's also let a couple of planes come and go in a small window. I guess the VAAC forecasts are allowing windows here and there. Cork is open at the moment but apparently may have to close later as the ash is forecast to wrap around again in a sort of westerly direction along the south of ireland, so that's one explanation for a specific case as to how flights might be able to go now at an airport but not later.

jepense

mrklaw said:
Is it stupid to even consider alternative routes? Surprised the airlines aren't trying that.

eg flying into southern europe? From there you could get a train to the rest of europe. I'm looking at 10 days until my family are back with me now, they'll be missing school and everything
The airlines need to have their planes in certain places so they can't just fly wherever. They would also need time to replan and schedule everything, so for now it's better for them to just wait and hope the eruption ends quickly. Also, you can't divert a great percentage of the northern European traffic to south without completely jamming the airports with the extra flights. Individual passengers can of course always reroute themselves. I guess it depends on the airline and local legislation on how much the companies need to financially help that. (I would imagine not much more than refund the original ticket, since natural disasters are considered force majeure.) Plus, ferries and trains are most likely packed also.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
If you look at the VAAC forecast gif from the UK met office you can see how the likes of paris and manchester airports might have landing windows:

animated_plume-v4.gif

Seems rather borderline...though they'd have more up to date info than we have, but you can see the general shift of the dust and the openings for some places that appear and disappear...

Say there was going to be continued eruptions for a month or so would Northern Europe be completely cut off?

especially if the other, larger volcano next the one that's currently erupting goes off and leaves even more ash in the atmosphere

Also I doubt they would be willing to risk a landing in a small window like that

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
A cautionary tale about the difficulty of predicting the area of dust with accuracy...

http://www.leaderpost.com/news/Finnish+fighter+jets+damaged+volcanic+cloud/2914603/story.html

Finnish fighter jets which flew through the volcanic dust covering much of Europe suffered damage and the air force warned Friday the cloud could have a significant impact on planes.

The air force F-18 Hornet jets were on training flights in northern Finland on Thursday morning, when airspace was still open, and the engines were later found to contain fine, volcanic ash dust.

"Based on the pictures, it was discovered that even short flights in ash dust may cause significant damage to an airplane's engine," the Finnish Defence Forces said in a statement.

Images taken inside one Hornet engine with a fibroscope camera indicated that the heat of the engine — around 1,000 degrees Celcius — had melted the ash inside the engine, blocking ventilation channels.

"Blockages of ventilation channels caused by melting ash lead engine components to overheat and material to weaken," it said, adding this could fracture rotating engine parts.

Arcipello

Live in the north of england and was hoping to see some crazy looking smoke clouds way up in the sky...but i look out the window and all i see is a clear sky and sunshine :(

anyway i started looking for really epic volcano pics, would love to see something like these with my own eyes, so awe inspiring.

mtredoubt1.jpg

volcano-lightning-3.jpg

volcano-lightning-4.jpg

volcano1.jpg

mayon-volcano.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Latest VAAC forecast.

VAG_1271417376.png

Yup...safe to say Cork will be closed again later today. Dublin might even be borderline depending on how risk-averse they are (not that it makes much difference...practically no flights are coming or going anyway).

England and Wales look pretty static.

gofreak said:
If you look at the VAAC forecast gif from the UK met office you can see how the likes of paris and manchester airports might have landing windows:

animated_plume-v4.gif

Seems rather borderline...though they'd have more up to date info than we have, but you can see the general shift of the dust and the openings for some places that appear and disappear...

2cmvrl5.jpg

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
this is getting less and less funny.... I'm due to fly to aussie in 2 weeks.

less and less funny.

Meadows

Banned
I can see this volcano turning into a part of everyday life in N Europe :lol

We watch the 6 o'clock news with the Weather/Volcano report, BBC 5live has travel and Volcano forecasts, flights come and go in windows regulated by the Met Office. It's kinda cool to think about it in a horrific, economy ruining way. :lol

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
gofreak said:
Also, might be relevant to cloudwalking, although they're probably already aware:

:| Hope you get out of there sometime soon cloudwalking.

yeah i noticed that my flight got cancelled about 2 and a half hours ago. i got a backup flight tomorrow from cork to manchester and then on to zurich... we'll see if i have to rebook a BACKUP backup flight

i am just soooooo thankful that my company is taking care of me on this. i saw several people at the hotel this morning who were worried that they had to stay extra nights because they hadn't budgeted for it or couldn't afford it somehow...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
There's been a little cluster of 4 small earthquakes at the volcano in the last 4 hours, which is more than there had been in the last day or so.

http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/earthquakes/myrdalsjokull/

Might be nothing, but there'd been earlier talk that seismic activity had calmed down since Wednesday.

The Iceland met office says that the eruption is continuing, with no indication that the ash production is decreasing. Eruptions are reaching heights of 4-5km (a little lower than previously) with bursts to higher altitudes occasionally.

hylje

Chittagong said:

It's going to be a long weekend for you here. Finavia has forecasts for the ash clouds on Finland till wednesday and it's looking pretty bad.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Flight radar over Europe at the min:

2elyw08.png

To put things in perspective, 20-odd thousand flights were over Europe yesterday (which was already down from closer to 30000 normally). Today they expect around 11 thousand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom