• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wait, there are games where you can choose a LOWER frame rate?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
It's only logical to strife for that cinematic experience on a phone.

Yes, I'm being sarcastic

Damigos

I'm indifferent to modern console gaming.
Like I know they exist, but they appeal to a different generation of gamers that I no longer have the same connection to.

Mobile gaming also seems to be where all the Asian developers went as well. And I always liked whatever content they put out.

The only issue I have are the controls. Yeah, you can tell this stuff was designed for a touchscreen. :messenger_confused:
But that's why I said I'll wait for the PC versions to come instead.

I insist on a PS4 or a Switch. You will find a ton of japanese developers making wonderful titles. How old are you if i may ask ?

Miles708

Performance always comes first.
The days of sub 20fps games are relics of the 1990s era, and even then 3D hardware at the time actually felt like a step back since the Arcades or SNES/Genesis where always spitting out super smooth 60 frames per second.

I think it's a waste of time to defend this, since time and time again, the defense of low frame rates always ages badly.

Look, I'm not saying you're wrong, what I'm saying is that you're barking at the wrong tree, so to speak.
Performance is not a critical metric in the mobile space, usually "playable" is more than enough. Mobile players are not enthusiasts and look for time-wasters during their commute, that hopefully won't wreck their device's battery.

On mobile, aliasing is ugly, but good enough.
Sub-hd resolution is ugly, but good enough.
20 fps is ugly, but good enough.

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
I don't see how this has any effect on what you would want to play? We can put up with embarrassing gacha mechanics because mobile is growing faster than traditional gaming? Do we just automatically default to whichever platform has the biggest numbers?

It seems obvious to me that mobile would be bigger because it requires no hardware purchase; 99.9999% of mobile gamers are just downloading something on the phone they already had anyway, just to have a cell phone. So because a zillion people put a dollar into some mobile game, console titles are invisible?

I'm sorry, this is like a joke.
The game industry is not a charity. I'm pretty sure Publishers crunch the numbers all the time when they decide which platform they think will give them their best return on investment.

It doesn't mean that "OMG CONSOLES ARE NO LONGER PROFITABLE!?!?!", I'm just saying to Publishers, I could see that over time, more and more projects begin to shift to mobile as opposed to giving it their complete all on console since the mobile marketshare continues to rise and demand attention.

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
I insist on a PS4 or a Switch. You will find a ton of japanese developers making wonderful titles. How old are you if i may ask ?
Oh trust me, I still check them out. But the heydays of Japanese developers on consoles is not the same as it was in the PS2 or DS/PSP era. For the most part, they have moved on or are trying to court other platforms to make up for the gap.

I'm 26 by the way.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Gold Member
The game industry is not a charity. I'm pretty sure Publishers crunch the numbers all the time when they decide which platform they think will give them their best return on investment.

It doesn't mean that "OMG CONSOLES ARE NO LONGER PROFITABLE!?!?!", I'm just saying to Publishers, I could see that over time, more and more projects begin to shift to mobile as opposed to giving it their complete all on console since the mobile marketshare continues to rise and demand attention.

You make an interesting prediction on the future of the business.

I still don't see how that has any bearing on which games you want to play?

Edit: Just saw you other recent post, I agree the heyday is over, but nonetheless if Japanese games are what you want, I'm still confused how a phone looks better than a Switch.

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
You make an interesting prediction on the future of the business.

I still don't see how that has any bearing on which games you want to play?
If the trend continues of Publishers making more mobile games that I find more appealing, while the number of appealing console games remains stagnant or starts to decline, then it's simple science why I would start looking at the mobile platform because empirically, the content is rising in one direction while falling in another.

Vawn

Banned
Or you could make games that are optimized around frame rate first and not visuals?

Especially considering mobile games right now mostly peak at PS2 to launch Xbox 360 quality, it seems weird to me you prefer to look at something that's both ugly and unplayable?

I don't know what to tell you man. If you want high quality games, why are you playing games on your phone?

People have already explained why this OPTION is there and it's mostly battery life.

Comparing the battery life of a mobile phone to a GameBoy is pointless. GameBoy made a ton of other sacrifices to have a longer battery life, including no backlight, monochrome visuals, etc. Perhaps you should turn your brightness down to zero and keep that framerate set high.

Or... you could quit attempting to do serious gaming on your telephone.

BlackTron

Gold Member
If the trend continues of Publishers making more mobile games that I find more appealing, while the number of appealing console games remains stagnant or starts to decline, then it's simple science why I would start looking at the mobile platform because empirically, the content is rising in one direction while falling in another.

It makes sense to me that you would choose a platform because it has games that appeal to you. I was just trying to understand why you liked those games, and the answer so far has been "connection to the type of gamers" and future growth projections on the platform.

I don't know if the type of games you are talking about playing have gacha mechanics, but I won't even give those titles a second thought. If they have more redeeming value, I will literally never find out from trying it myself.

Vawn

Banned
Yeah, is he saying he's too OLD for console gaming? Sounds like just the opposite.

If this is the future of gaming, we're in trouble.

JordanN

Banned
I don't know what to tell you man. If you want high quality games, why are you playing games on your phone?

People have already explained why this OPTION is there and it's mostly battery life.

Comparing the battery life of a mobile phone to a GameBoy is pointless. GameBoy made a ton of other sacrifices to have a longer battery life, including no backlight, monochrome visuals, etc. Perhaps you should turn your brightness down to zero and keep that framerate set high.

Or... you could quit attempting to do serious gaming on your telephone.
I still can't believe this.

Nintendo's Wii U wasn't setting people's houses on fire despite the fact it had more 60fps games relative to the PS3/360.
In fact, in actual power usage Wii U was rated at 33 watts and the Xbox 360 (the launch model) was based around 203 watts.

Simply designing a game to be 3D and 60fps on mobile can't be the most demanding thing ever, level of ambition and optimization matters more.

JordanN

Banned
It makes sense to me that you would choose a platform because it has games that appeal to you. I was just trying to understand why you liked those games, and the answer so far has been "connection to the type of gamers" and future growth projections on the platform.

I don't know if the type of games you are talking about playing have gacha mechanics, but I won't even give those titles a second thought. If they have more redeeming value, I will literally never find out from trying it myself.
I mean, it can be both.

If mobile had a game appeal to me but there where was only ever one version of it, then I wouldn't give the platform attention.

But if like I said, the amount of Publishers putting games on there that catch my attention do begin to multiply and even challenge their actual output on consoles, then the growth of mobile did have an impact since now my mindshare is forced to compete against the two that was never there previously.

The only way to reverse that is if Console Manufactures somehow found a way to increase their own gaming output as well, but considering the high costs and expectations that the AAA market is built around, I just don't find that likely unless they're willing to bleed money to stop attention from being diverted away from their machines.

Edit: There was an old Penny Arcade comic that captured this well. 3DS was struggling and found itself up against the wall for the first time by the growth of mobile. It didn't mean "NO ONE BUYS NINTENDO ANYMORE" but they never got back their DS era sales from it either.

Z7wkmT5.jpg

Last edited:

Aion002

I mean, it can be both.

If mobile had a game appeal to me but there where was only ever one version of it, then I wouldn't give the platform attention.

But if like I said, the amount of Publishers putting games on there that catch my attention do begin to multiply and even challenge their actual output on consoles, then the growth of mobile did have an impact since now my mindshare is forced to compete against the two that was never there previously.
People started saying this since the early 2000s.... Nothing changed.

And yeah... It's not like that. Mobile is mobile, consoles are consoles and pc is pc, one don't detracts the other. They are too different.

Last gen companies like Capcom and Rockstar tried to release console games on mobile like GTA and Resident Evil... It just didn't work out and no one cared.

Scott did a fun video about it:

JordanN

Banned
People started saying this since the early 2000s.... Nothing changed.
Something did change.

The market grew more splintered or "consolidated".
We don't see more GTA on mobile, but we also didn't see anymore on handhelds. If Rockstar where to make a new handheld version, it's more likely to be a port of their home console version and not an original spinoff like what the DS/PSP era had.

And speaking of the same DS/PSP look what happened to their successors? Sony 100% bailed out after Vita bombed, and Nintendo was forced to release a hybrid solution.

Those are not coincidences or a market that remained idle.

At the same time, the reason we don't see actual home console ports to mobile is because Developers would find more success making ground up titles instead. And that's basically what has happened since the 2000s. If they want to make a mobile game, they'll do it, as opposed to waiting on someone else.

BlackTron

Gold Member
I mean, it can be both.

The only way to reverse that is if Console Manufactures somehow found a way to increase their own gaming output as well, but considering the high costs and expectations that the AAA market is built around, I just don't find that likely unless they're willing to bleed money to stop attention from being diverted away from their machines.

Edit: There was an old Penny Arcade comic that captured this well. 3DS was struggling and found itself up against the wall for the first time by the growth of mobile. It didn't mean "NO ONE BUYS NINTENDO ANYMORE" but they never got back their DS era sales from it either.

Z7wkmT5.jpg

I'm just going to come out and say it already.

What game, today, are you playing on a cell phone that's so appealing? You are playing on a phone today, yet all of your arguments seem to fall to theoretical change in the future. You haven't said anything, about the actual games available today, on mobile/ps4/switch.

Regardless, the types of microtransactions referenced in PA above will always be there, but the distribution of that money changes constantly on the whims of a casual market with no brand loyalty or eye for quality. The casual crowd just follows different trends. Individual companies, beware putting all eggs in that one basket.

You never really addressed my earlier reply where I commented that the points that you are making, don't really substantiate why you would want to play something that you call yourself, embarrassing gacha. Pointing to musings of the future or market forces appears to have no affect whatsoever on whether the game in front of you today is dogshit or not.

JordanN

Banned
I'm just going to come out and say it already.

What game, today, are you playing on a cell phone that's so appealing? You are playing on a phone today, yet all of your arguments seem to fall to theoretical change in the future. You haven't said anything, about the actual games available today, on mobile/ps4/switch.
The problem with this post, is it directly contradicts this.

BlackTron said:
You never really addressed my earlier reply where I commented that the points that you are making, don't really substantiate why you would want to play something that you call yourself, embarrassing gacha. Pointing to musings of the future or market forces appears to have no affect whatsoever on whether the game in front of you today is dogshit or not.
I don't think I ever argued quality. What Penny Arcade was foreshadowing is if people could get their gaming fix elsewhere, and in larger quantities, than it doesn't matter what a single 3DS game could offer. In their minds, the value of the two platforms is already known.

In a way, console gaming does look like that luxurious option but it also has the double whammy of deterring future customers. That's basically the story of PS Vita. You can't win on just quality alone.

BlackTron said:
Regardless, the types of microtransactions referenced in PA above will always be there, but the distribution of that money changes constantly on the whims of a casual market with no brand loyalty or eye for quality. The casual crowd just follows different trends. Individual companies, beware putting all eggs in that one basket.
Publishers have seemed to thought this through by switching towards more "service" based games. For as long as mobile still exists and is popular, they're using techniques meant to extract money from people, who happen to stick around in either the short term or the long term. I do not deny it's possible for this type of game design to change, but it just means Publishers will just as likely adopt to when it does happen.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Gold Member
JordanN said:
I don't think I ever argued quality.

You are right. It was my assumption that by saying the types of games you want are on mobile and not console, you were talking about some redeeming value in the game that would cause you to like it.

I guess not?

Cramoss

Tbqh, who even cares.

Most people outside of this small bubble just don't care, including me. The day I stopped caring about fps and graphics was the day I started enjoying games once again.

Hell, I bet people who don't even know about those technical concepts have way more fun than us.

Top Bottom