• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wanted: DS game recommendations

Troidal

I just picked up the Mew Purple DS in Japan. I also got the Brain Training "game" with it and I want to get one more.

I'm split between Kirby or Yoshi for an action game, and Polarium or Pac Pix for puzzle. I already tried Meteos and I didn't really like it so that's off the list.

Any recommendation would be appreciated :)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Based on opinions around here and my own limited time with the game, you should totally go for Kirby. Yoshi is kinda like a half-game, whereas Kirby is full blown awesome.

Troidal

Yeah there was a sticky thread on Kirby like the other week and was wondering why it was all the way up there as a sticky. Must be that good huh.

I just picked up Kirby the other day along with Meteos and it is pretty awesome so far. I was planning on just getting Meteos, but I went ahead got both on impluse. I'm happy I did, while i'm only a few levels into the game it is shaping up to be the DS game i've been waiting for. It's very nice on the eyes and makes great use of the touch screen. It really feels like something brand new, but at the same time has that great Nintendo platform game touch. Pick it up.

Sapiens

Get Mario DS. Actually, try to borrow Mario DS. If you can get over the control (which a lot of us have), you will have a great time collecting all the stars.

MrDaravon

Out of your choices (how do you not like Meteos?), get Kirby over Yoshi. I'd say Polarium over Pac-Pix, but I haven't played the latter. Polarium's a solid puzzler, but it didn't wow me, but it's good for a fix.

Troidal

I tried mario back when it came out. Didn't really like it too much with the controls. I want something interactive with the stylus.

Kirby DS for sure. (Yeah, its that good - mainly because it's the first touch screen-based platformer to play like more than just a glorified and over-laden tech demo *coughyoshicough*) And I'd strongly recommend Meteos...but whatever floats your boat.

JavyOO7

Troidal said:
I just picked up the Mew Purple DS in Japan. I also got the Brain Training "game" with it and I want to get one more.

I'm split between Kirby or Yoshi for an action game, and Polarium or Pac Pix for puzzle. I already tried Meteos and I didn't really like it so that's off the list.

I think even Meteos grows on you, IMO anyway.

You can get Kirby. But sometime down the line you should get Yoshi when it's cheap. I think it's totally worth $20 bucks.

Jado

Banned
Meteos definitely grows on you. I'd recommend that over any DS game at this point. For how long did you play it?

john tv

Troid, here's how I'd break it down:

Buy: Meteos, Nintendogs, Kirby, Zoo Keeper, maaaybe Mario 64 (if you can deal with the shit controls), Famicom Wars DS, both DS Brain Training games

Rent/Borrow/etc first: Sawaru Made in Wario, Kimishine, Yoshi, Pac-Pix, Mr. Driller, Electroplankton (you only need to play this for a day or so), Bomberman (multiplayer rocks), Chokkan Hitofude, Another Code

Have fun! Lots of really fun, solid games in there.

Wow, John, there's not a single meaty game in that list save the second-string version of Mario 64.

In the end, the DS is just too puzzler and mini-game heavy to appeal to me. Advance Wars DS, Aria of Sorrow 2 and Slime Morimori 2 are more to my speed.

I really like the DS because of the array of puzzlers; these are the type of games I wanna play on the go on a subway or an airplane. Polarium is a really great game that will have you wracking your brain, Zookeeper's fun, but don't pay full price for it (since it's basically Bejewelled,) and Puyo Pop is AWESOME fun... especially the 8 player mode.

I haven't had a chance to pick up Meteos yet, so I can't comment on that. I did pick up SM64 since I never played it originally, and I've been liking it a lot so far.

neo2046

worth buying
- Nintendogs
- bomberman (only if you always have friends play the game w/ you)
- Zookeeper (only if it cost $9.99 :p)
- Meteos ( you should try more times, the game is really fun)
- the 2 training software
- Famicom Wars (or wait for the US release)

worth rental / borrow for a try
- Goemon DS!! the game is short and sometimes you feel annoying, but definitely worth a try
- Another Code: a good adv game
- Pac-Pix

MarkRyan

Sam Houser fucked my wife
I now have a handful of DS games and Meteos is easily my favorite among them. Puyo Pop Fever and Kirby Canvas Curse are also really good, but Meteos is my true love. How can you not like it?

I know Nintendo too well.

Waiting for a price drop and system re-design, but I'm not buying another handheld until then.

*goes to play his GB: SP*

Zeo

Banned
Try not to listen to people who tell you that Kirby and Meteos aren't worth it. They're just flat out wrong.

You can get a good 20 hours out of Kirby, to get 100%, and it's fun as hell to do that. Meteos, you just won't want to put down. So yeah, you NEED those.

Other ones worth getting: Bomberman, Zoo Keeper (especially if it's $20), Yoshi, Wario Ware.

NintendosBooger said:
I know Nintendo too well.

Waiting for a price drop and system re-design, but I'm not buying another handheld until then.

*goes to play his GB: SP*

A re-design = unlikely.

A price drop = not for a long time.

And is $150 really a bad price?

MarkRyan said:
I now have a handful of DS games and Meteos is easily my favorite among them. Puyo Pop Fever and Kirby Canvas Curse are also really good, but Meteos is my true love. How can you not like it?

I know it isn't contributing to the conversation, but I have to congratulate you on having one of the best avatars in the history of GAF. Kudos to you sir.

ryuvsgta.gif

Jado

Banned
Not meaty? Regardless of Meteos being a puzzle game, it is heavily packed with content in the form of 30+ planets/characters, a dozen different endings, many single and multiplayer modes and options, more unlockable bonuses than most current-gen console games, extensive stat-tracking, single-cart multiplayer, a feature that sends a demo to other DS units, and the loudest, crispest sound of any game on the handheld.

The surprisingly deep and addictive gameplay isn't too bad either. :)

Zeo said:
A re-design = unlikely.

A price drop = not for a long time.

And is $150 really a bad price?

How is a re-design unlikely? They've redesigned the GBA three times now, including the upcoming Micro, and the bulky design is one of the biggest complaints it has against it. I'm willing to bet money that we're gonna hear about a re-design of the DS come E3 next year.

As for the price drop, I'll be playing mostly GBA games on DS as of right now. Why get a DS to play the titles when I can play them on my lovely, precious GBA:SP that only cost me 70 bucks? Depending on what games the DS will have available on the system during the holiday season, I just might say to hell with it.

I'm perfectly content with my SP for right now. It's the best system ever, in my opinion, doing the impossible --- overshadowing my love for the SNES.

Teddman

Yeah, Meteos has a lot of content.

I also second the recommendations for Zoo Keeper, it's a good budget puzzler.

Mode

Meteos and Daigasso Band Brothers are the only 2 DS games so far that I've played at least 15 hours and still enjoy playing after being released in Japan.

Thomper

I was thinking about importing a Brain Training game, and then preferably the Gentle version. But I've got zero knowledge of the Japanse language. Is it worth importing the game even if you don't know even one word?

Soul4ger

Drinky Crow said:
Wow, John, there's not a single meaty game in that list save the second-string version of Mario 64.

In the end, the DS is just too puzzler and mini-game heavy to appeal to me. Advance Wars DS, Aria of Sorrow 2 and Slime Morimori 2 are more to my speed.

What Yu-Gi-Oh! Nightmare Troubadour?!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Buy: Meteos, Kirby, Mario 64 (especially if you've never beat the N64 version)

Play but it's not worth it to by, you'll grow tired of them fast: Yoshi Touch and Go, Wario Ware, Feel The Magic

Wait for: Castlevania, Advance Wars, FF3j, New Super Mario Bros, Sonic Rush, Nintendogs (possibly - I'm vaguely curious about buying this)

In the meanwhile: Play GBA games on a nicer screen

Troidal

Sounds like Kirby is a definite.
Ah I remember, Daigassho is good too. I should get that.
And Another Code eventually. Any US/Euro only games thats worth looking?

Nintendogs is like everyone's huzzah these days, sure its cute, but it eventually would feel repetitive. I already felt bored when I saw my friend's play it after the 23rd time.

And Meteos, I've played the demo for a weekend and just felt like it gets faster and faster without really much change...and then you eventually die. Or is there something Lumines about it - "The more you play, you see the light" so to speak?

MarkRyan

Sam Houser fucked my wife
Troidal said:
And Meteos, I've played the demo for a weekend and just felt like it gets faster and faster without really much change...and then you eventually die.
There are multiple play modes, and the "endless" mode (Simple, I think it's called), which it sounds like you were playing in the demo, is the most boring to me. I like the Starship mode that lets you go from planet to planet, competing against the computer (either one-on-one or one-on-two/three) until you defeat a series of planets and reach the end. You can "beat" the game in about fifteen/twenty minutes, then play through on harder difficulties or experiment with the different modes and paths. There are tons of unlockables to work towards, which gives a healthy satisfaction to the game.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Troidal said:

kirby and polarium by a country mile. Yoshi is great, but it's a much less full game than kirby. Polarium is great, while pac pix is like drinking a poo milkshake.

Mode

Troidal said:
And Meteos, I've played the demo for a weekend and just felt like it gets faster and faster without really much change...and then you eventually die. Or is there something Lumines about it - "The more you play, you see the light" so to speak?

Personally, I havent actually played the demo, but I remember hearing one of my friend's talk about it. He said that it would end in like 5 minutes or something. Usually, the game gets too hard for an average person to play for 5 minutes. The only place I recall you can play for at least 5 minutes is the 5 minute war, otherwise, the pace is much more hectic.

Also, unlike nearly all the puzzle games, there are different levels that actually have different physics which really make things a lot different. Although there are 32 planets, it feels that there are about 10 really unique levels, which is still a lot. It is enough so that you really can't use the exact same strategy in most of the levels. There's this one level where if you speed up time, launched blocks fall down slower instead of faster. Another level makes it so that horizontal matches have weak boost while verticals have insane boost. Another level makes it so that every consecutive color match makes each boost become weaker and weaker (basically the higher the multiplier you are trying to get, the smaller the chances are of launching that block off the screen.) Then there's a level where there's no gravity at all, which I hate, because you can't do anything advanced in that level. I can go on and on, but I won't because no one's going to bother reading it.

If your playing style consists of just launching off blocks separately just to make the screen as empty as possible, I can see why you find this game boring. If you use step jumps, midair docks, and can launch an entire screenful of meteos within seconds of starting, but still find the game boring, then you will most likely find the full game boring as well.

Troidal

Mode said:
Also, unlike nearly all the puzzle games, there are different levels that actually have different physics which really make things a lot different.

If you use step jumps, midair docks, and can launch an entire screenful of meteos within seconds of starting, but still find the game boring, then you will most likely find the full game boring as well.

Ah I see. I've done those step jumps and midair docks and what not, and if that's there for strategies in tackling the different physics...I'm not convinced it will make it more interesting. Thanks for the explanation :)

Teddman said:
Why not just import? DS is completely region-free.

Oh, I fully intend to at some point. I was mainly highlighting the rough deal that seems to be the perpetual state of affairs for PAL gamers.

Troidal

Thomper said:
I was thinking about importing a Brain Training game, and then preferably the Gentle version. But I've got zero knowledge of the Japanse language. Is it worth importing the game even if you don't know even one word?

You'd miss out half of the Brain Training game if you decide to import. Even I can't do some of them, like reading a sentence with kanji and you have to write the word count. I can't read every kanji so I ignore that particular game. There's another where you have to say the colors and not read the text itself (so, if the text shows the word "Black" but it's colored Blue, you have to say "Blue" in Japanese.) This won't be too fun if you can't pronounce the words right. The math ones are straightforward though.

I dont have the Gentle one, but from what I've seen, it's more like an IQ type questionairre.

VerTiGo

Banned
TheDuce22 said:
Starwars is pretty good believe it or not.

Yeah, I liked Revenge of the Sith. It's a fun hack 'n slash with Streets of Rage-like gameplay. It's pulled off very well. It could've used more variety but I was satisfied with what the game is. Not to mention that it's better than the home console versions.

TheDuce22

Banned
I keep hearing this. Is this really true? Was there ever an Episode 3 NDS thread?

Its not 40 bucks good but its one of the best beat em ups I have played in a long long time. Like Vertigo, my only complaint is it can get repetitive but it didnt bother me much considering how long its been since ive played a decent streets of rage type game. The rpg elements are done really well too. Nothing like taking a powered up character back through easy mode and just destroying everything.

Top Bottom