• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

Further the MP complaints, I couldn't disagree more. I think it feels incredibly fresh compared to the abundance of generic shooters on the market these days. Three classes with highly varied play styles means you can change it up pretty quick if it's feeling old. Customisability is fantastic, you rarely see people with a similar toon. Apart from the lag/lack of dedicated servers, I think it's one of the most enjoyable MP experiences this year.

Level 30 at the moment and been sticking to the Devastator/Havoc mostly, but switch whenever you get some Assault/Raptor raids, or combating Tactical pairs etc.. Love it. It's the only MP I've really found myself sticking to this year and certainly the only one I'd put up with lag for.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Hey, is the box art not viewable on the Xbox dash for anyone else? Mine just shows up as a green "Xbox Live" logo.

This is on the 3 box most recently played list that appears on your game library.

daedalius

Lyphen said:
Hey, is the box art not viewable on the Xbox dash for anyone else? Mine just shows up as a green "Xbox Live" logo.

This is on the 3 box most recently played list that appears on your game library.

It shows up for me in there, but not in some other places, like friends for example.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
AEREC said:
Any more word on the exterminatus mode?
More details incoming, and apparently, they plan on DLC too. Because the game didn't have a small enough pop already.

Effect

The game is down to $40 on Amazon.com. For it's length and content is it worth this price? Is the online active (not sure how well it sold)?

Thanks

Lyphen said:
More details incoming, and apparently, they plan on DLC too. Because the game didn't have a small enough pop already.
The low population is why they are doing it. Sell as much DLC as you possibly can to the few people that own the game. Thanks to lack of marketing and clearly non existent word of mouth this game sold next to nothing.

daedalius said:
No way, love the multiplayer. Feels quite a bit different than what is currently available, especially when you're rolling as the Assault class, heh.

You know, I think it's the maps that aren't doing it for me. It has the whiff of a developer who knows how to carve great maps for a strategy game...funny that...but they're a bit of a nothing.

I'm probably just too piss-poor at the game. I'll settle for Exterminatus. I'm not worth the bullets nor the additional kill-score for your fellows. You'll have to find a fiercer foe.

AEREC

Effect said:
The game is down to $40 on Amazon.com. For it's length and content is it worth this price? Is the online active (not sure how well it sold)?

Thanks

It's worth it, it's a fairly solid singleplayer campaign with great gameplay, the multiplayer is fun too and has a decent population on Steam...not sure about the console though, they are probably about the same size community if I had to guess.

Lostconfused said:
The low population is why they are doing it. Sell as much DLC as you possibly can to the few people that own the game. Thanks to lack of marketing and clearly non existent word of mouth this game sold next to nothing.

They advertised the shit out of the game, 2 weeks before release there was constant TV commercials for it on TV, ads all over websites, comic books, etc. Going up against Dead Island at release was not for the best though as that has done extremely well.

While 40K has lots of fans, it really does not have mass market appeal.... and the whole "Space Marine" name likely doesn't help. Unless you were a fan of the franchise, the game would seem fairly off putting.

daedalius

Lostconfused said:

I don't really think it sold that poorly, they sold out in several locations in Europe after all. Of course, we still have no official numbers on the amount of sales; so it didn't sell GREAT; or at least nothing THQ wants to brag about.

daedalius said:
I don't really think it sold that poorly, they sold out in several locations in Europe after all. Of course, we still have no official numbers on the amount of sales; so it didn't sell GREAT; or at least nothing THQ wants to brag about.
If you look at XBL activity and steam stats you can see that the game did rather poorly on consoles and probably not that much better on PC.

daedalius

Lostconfused said:
If you look at XBL activity and steam stats you can see that the game did rather poorly on consoles and probably not that much better on PC.

Well, I'll still continue to cross my fingers for a sequel and purchase any DLC they release in hopes that they keep this franchise going. Would be nice if they gave us some numbers, but oh well.

Lostconfused said:

Amount of people online does not really indicate how well the game sold though. It was a top seller on Steam for quite a while, but that doesn't really mean people are going to play online or even if they do, many move onto other games.

Lot of big selling games have their online populations die off quick nowadays. The game did place fairly well on the European charts so the game likely sold ok, not amazing. But unless your game is huge the online portion will die off fairly quick. Lot of games coming out at the same time and now taking away people for their online time. Dead Island, Resistance 3, Gears of War 3, and it's going to get worse.

Game is not a huge hit or anything, but it still could have sold well enough to please THQ, and it at least charted in several places unlike many other games that barely chart and dissapear quick.

A WH40k trying for mass appeal was never going to work IMHO.

Lostconfused said:

This makes me sad. I paid $80 for the collector's edition (pc) and it was worth every penny. I'm not an old school warhammer fan I always wanted to get into it but my main experience with it has been some of the novels, Dawn of War, Space Marine, and Warhammer Online (on the fantasy side). The video games turned me into a fanboy and Space Marine didn't disappoint. I really hope it does well enough long term that we end up getting a sequel or at least some single player DLC.

Like what happened to the Captain? Did the Inquisition kill him or were they planning on a Space Marine 2?

Also can't wait for Warhammer 40k Online.

.la1n

Lostconfused said:

and the world is worse off for it :(

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'm kind of hoping a small spike will occur when Exterminatus comes out but Relic is doing absolutely nothing to inform and keep the community alive.

glaurung

derFeef said:
Tuesday, 25th October
Excellent!

But I am still concerned that this will be more like multiplayer with bots and not a horde mode. I guess I am wrong.

Too bad none of my friends have bothered to buy this game. Guess I'll have to rely on good ole GAF for coop buddies.

daedalius

Woo finally a hard date. My friends and I are looking forward to checking this out.

Wonder if we will get any more info in the interim.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Launch game without co-op two weeks before Gears of War 3. Launch co-op a month and a half later on the same day as Battlefield 3.

daedalius

Lyphen said:
Launch game without co-op two weeks before Gears of War 3. Launch co-op a month and a half later on the same day as Battlefield 3.

Yea, probably not the best decisions in the world on their part.

It's nice that the DLC is free.

I also don't see in what way BF3 being released on the same day interferes with this co-op add-on. But then again I guess some would be appalled that the videogame industry doesn't optimize their release schedule for 15 year olds with infinite time and limited attention spans.

The only other things that would be nice are
1) increase the level cap (add some new cool junk to unlock that hopefully won't require much code/modeling)
2) More MP maps
3) Obvious game modes that are missing
- deathmatch (non-team version)
- capture the flag
I don't imagine these will take huge resources to implement.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Vilix said:
But, by the time this comes out I'll be balls deep in the Batman.

EDIT: Wait. That didn't come out right. 0.o
egon.jpg

Vilix said:
Wow. THQ and Relic really have sa great sense of timing, don't they? I thought I might take a breather from GoW3. But, by the time this comes out I'll be balls deep in the Batman.

EDIT: Wait. That didn't come out right. 0.o

rn1OR.png

But yeah, Space Marine had a lifespan of about a week and now it's lost in the wash of AAA titles. =(

daedalius

narcosis219 said:
rn1OR.png

But yeah, Space Marine had a lifespan of about a week and now it's lost in the wash of AAA titles. =(

Sticking to their original release date in August would have been amazing, since it was a complete drought at that point.

Sigh.

El'Kharn

Not sure if i can maintain my interest for another 12 days.......the 3 same maps over and over and over and over again are beginning to grind me down.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
derFeef said:
So... Space Marine sequel confirmed? Overlapping (incorporating) with DMO or something? Danny Bilson speaks in riddles.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/70606/space-marine-sequel-dark-millennium-online-creative-overlap

The interview made absolutely no sense to me. SM was either a financial success or it wasn't. I think SM was fantastic the way it was. A pure action game. I say leave it like that. The only thing that THQ needs to change is the personel responsible for deciding when the game is going to be released. I know there are situations that can push a game's release date back. But, releasing a game right before a slew of AAA games were released was not the best business decision IMO.

Top Bottom